PDA

View Full Version : thinking of pen turning , craftsman lathe worth the time

Brian Hall
12-12-2018, 7:39 PM
I've been working on finding under clutter my 20 year old wood lathe and removing dust.

model is 113.228162 tube style MT1

question is anybody using one of these ? , or should I send it to Craigslist and buy a better tail-stock ?

Kyle Iwamoto
12-12-2018, 11:43 PM
I used a Craftsman lathe that is worse than that for many many years, turning hundreds and hundreds of pens. It was such a POS that was all I could do. BUT I was happy as a clam. Ignorance is truly bliss. Yes, you can turn pens on that. It will probably NOT get you any monies if you sell it. Watch said CL and look for a Jet 1014 mini, which should be pretty cheap. See the starter lathe thread earlier.

John K Jordan
12-13-2018, 11:18 AM
I've been working on finding under clutter my 20 year old wood lathe and removing dust.

model is 113.228162 tube style MT1

question is anybody using one of these ? , or should I send it to Craigslist and buy a better tail-stock ?

I used that one to turn spindles and some bowls. (I gave mine away when I got a better lathe.)

It will work, but is a pain to keep adjusted. I suspect it will work fine for pens, especially since the lathe is already in hand.

I can't remember what the holding method is in the headstock but the manual is available on-line. Maybe it has a Morse taper socket but if not you might have to devise some driving method.

JKJ