PDA

View Full Version : OT: Don't download current Netscape

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Although my default browser is Thunderbird I made the mistake of downloading the current version of Netscape. Accompanying the browser were two free programs. One is bunch of games and the other is a weather program. I made the mistake of accepting those. I decided to uninstall the weather channel thing since it proved to be highly inaccurate for our location. Guess what? you can't do it. I went to Add /remove programs and get a message that doesn't make any sense even when read closely. The gist is that you can't uninstall the program as long as the program is on your computer. I went to Windows Explorer and it can't be deleted there either. I went to Search and found all the files with weather in them and some I could delete and others wouldn't delete. I clicked on properties and there is nothing to indicate where the files are located. They are not identified as read only, archived, etc.

Another thing that happened was that as soon as I had Netscape and the two "gift" programs installed I began getting dozens of alerts from every source immaginable telling that I had a virus, that I had serious window problems, that my registry was corrupted, etc., and each one wanted to send me to a site that would sell me a program that would make all my problems go away. Now this is on a drive that had just been reformatted and a clean copy of Windows installed.

I finally disabled the Windows messenger service and the alerts ceased.

Does any one have any idea how I can remove this junk from my computer?

Steve Clardy
12-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Sounds like you may need to remove Netscape.
Then do a search for netscape, weather, etc., and try to delete those from your search.