PDA

View Full Version : Share your stupid moments

Malcolm Schweizer
12-12-2018, 12:42 PM
I always say, "I love a good laugh, especially when it's on me." Here's my latest "duh moment." I spent a long time with a combination plane hand-rabbeting some pine boards for building a steam box. (Note: I do this by hand because I enjoy it and not for bravado.) All I had to do was drill the holes for the dowels that will hold the items being steamed suspended so heat can get all around them. In order to make the holes match up on either side, I clamped the two boards together, and drilled all the holes through both boards at the same time. Yes sir, I'm smart like that. So smart. I'm so proud of how smart I am...

...and then I went to assemble the thing. Turns out I clamped the boards together both facing one way, when the rabbets should have been facing inwards, so one board is okay, but the other doesn't match when you put it the correct way. UGH!!! SO- this morning I made another board, and tonight I'll clamp it to the other board the RIGHT way, and match the holes up.

So- what stupid thing have you folks done lately?

Peter Christensen
12-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Why wouldn't you plug the holes and drill new rather than make another side? A second stupid perhaps? ;)

Doug Garson
12-12-2018, 12:55 PM
I was making some small boxes with thin plywood bottoms. Since the plywood was thin, I clamped a strip of MDF to my table saw fence to make sure the plywood wouldn't slip under the fence. Then I set the fence using the rip scale and cut the plywood. For some unknown reason the plywood was 3/4" too small, in both dimensions! DUH.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-12-2018, 1:04 PM
Why wouldn't you plug the holes and drill new rather than make another side? A second stupid perhaps? ;)

I thought that might get asked. (a) this is a two-level steam box 8' long with a hole for each level every foot, so there are 16 holes per side. (b) Since it's a steam box, I figured the wood might move and the plugs come out. There isn't a glue I would trust to glue them in with that much heat. (c) I'm a perfectionist to a flaw.

...mostly c It would have bothered me, even though this is a purely functional piece. It would make my OCD hurt. The other board won't get wasted- it will be cut up to make the end caps and whatever is left will be saved for blocking, drilling blocks, or whatever use I find.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-12-2018, 1:05 PM
I was making some small boxes with thin plywood bottoms. Since the plywood was thin, I clamped a strip of MDF to my table saw fence to make sure the plywood wouldn't slip under the fence. Then I set the fence using the rip scale and cut the plywood. For some unknown reason the plywood was 3/4" too small, in both dimensions! DUH.

Why didn't you just run them through the wood stretcher? :-)

Michael Costa
12-12-2018, 1:24 PM
I shared my stupid moment on Thankgiving.... when I decided it was a good idea to take the tip of my finger off with my Jointer.

I had the stitched removed last Thursday. I would have done it myself but my finger looked necrotic. Turns out it wasn't. They said the stitches weren't doing anything anymore. It wasn't healing properly and doing some kind of secondary healing from underneath. Well, it only took 36 hours after suture removal for my finger tip to come loose. The gauze slightly sliding back and forth pulled it away. My finger is totally jacked now and nothing can be done.

Personally, I'd like them to give me another full digit block and I can clean some shìt up with my dremel and sew it back together myself. Use 25 vs 8 stitches. Lol

Doug Garson
12-12-2018, 1:31 PM
Why didn't you just run them through the wood stretcher? :-)
Yeah, I've been thinking of getting one of those but can't decide whether to get the 18V cordless model or the gas powered one. which do you recommend?

Malcolm Schweizer
12-12-2018, 1:32 PM
I shared my stupid moment on Thankgiving.... when I decided it was a good idea to take the tip of my finger off with my Jointer.

I had the stitched removed last Thursday. I would have done it myself but my finger looked necrotic. Turns out it wasn't. They said the stitches weren't doing anything anymore. It wasn't healing properly and doing some kind of secondary healing from underneath. Well, it only took 36 hours after suture removal for my finger tip to come loose. The gauze slightly sliding back and forth pulled it away. My finger is totally jacked now and nothing can be done.

Personally, I'd like them to give me another full digit block and I can clean some shìt up with my dremel and sew it back together myself. Use 25 vs 8 stitches. Lol

Oh man, that's not good. I'm sorry to hear that. I lost the tip of my thumb in my younger years and they made me a new one out of skin from my left arm. The thumb looked so bad for a while I called it "Frankenthumb." Now you can't tell which thumb was hurt and which one wasn't. I am amazed at the body's ability to heal. I do seem to remember that mine healed from the inside out. In my case, after the accident there was a small sliver of skin left covering the bone. I was told that if there is no skin over the bone, they have to remove the whole tip and can't just do a skin graft.

Jim Morgan
12-12-2018, 1:33 PM
I was making a set of double-hung window sashes. I had recently gotten a little power feeder and was having such great fun (and success) climb cutting the sticking profile that I cut it on all of the pieces of all of the sashes and then assembled them (with draw-bored through mortise & tenons). When I went to apply the little meeting rail molding, I realized that I should not have cut the sticking profile on the inside of the bottom rails of the upper sashes.

Luckily, the sashes I was reproducing had a somewhat non-standard design: the bottom rails were mortised for tenons at the ends of the stiles. I had an extra piece of the CVG Douglas fir that I was using, so I made new (unmolded except for the glass rabbet) bottom rails. I used a track saw to cut off the old rails & attached the new rails with draw-bored dominos. These were paint-grade, so the fix is not visible in the finished windows.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-12-2018, 1:34 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking of getting one of those but can't decide whether to get the 18V cordless model or the gas powered one. which do you recommend?

The gas model is much more powerful. I have a buddy that built his whole house with just one 2x4 using a gas stretcher. His neighbor barely was able to get a shed out of his 18V cordless.

David Utterback
12-12-2018, 3:17 PM
I have made the same mistake as you with drawer sides. Time does not permit me the report all of the duhs nor will my mood benefit by reviewing them.

Phil Mueller
12-12-2018, 3:23 PM
No explanation needed:

Pat Barry
12-12-2018, 3:29 PM
My stupid moments revolve around the idea of measure once cut once.

Hoang N Nguyen
12-12-2018, 3:36 PM
My most recent stupid moment was a few weeks ago. I was in the process of making shaker style doors for some built-ins I'm working on for the office. Not wanting to run out to the lumber yard for lumber and having to wait a few weeks for it to acclimate, I dug up enough 8/4 scrap hard maple to make the doors. After hours of planning and laying out how to cut the boards, what to resaw to get 3/4" thick profiles, I went to work. I spent about 4 hours cutting, jointing, planning, resawing, more planning and finally ripping down to size on the TS. I had all my parts made and cut to "rough" length" so decided to take a break and grab some lunch. After lunch, I sat down at my computer in the office and started looking at the base cabinets already installed. I had a tape measure laying around so I decided to double check my measurement....... turns out all my stiles were cut around 1" too short. I had a drawing I had done on CAD in the shop and use it as a reference for measurements and the drawings had door heights on them. I even cut the stiles about 1" longer than needed for final cut. The mistake I made was I changed the drawer height above the doors and made them 1.5" smaller, I also reduced the toe-kick 1/2" shorter as well. This lead to a 2" difference in height from the plans to the actual opening of the cabinets. Needless to say my whole day was shot and I said, I'm done for the day. I haven't touched the project since and now have a pile of wood on my rack acclimating before I can start again. Hopefully this week would yield better results.

Nick Decker
12-12-2018, 3:38 PM
My most expensive one involved a blade embedded in a SawStop brake cartridge. Happily, no digits were involved.

Warren Lake
12-12-2018, 4:07 PM
that I didnt buy a chunk of land or farms before a big well know super wealthy family came in and bought up 50 plus farms all around here. Reflects on the shop i have and the one I want.

Bill Carey
12-12-2018, 4:29 PM
Festool makes the only wood stretcher I wood trust. And it's only $18,540.00 Which does not include any of the attachments.

Brian Nguyen
12-12-2018, 4:57 PM
I just got a new ZCI for my table saw. After the initial cutting of the kerf, I noticed that the ZCI had shifted slightly and decided to reach my finger into the round slot to remove it WHILE THE BLADE WAS SPINNING. I still have NO idea how I didn't hurt myself with that brain fart.

Bill Space
12-12-2018, 5:27 PM
Mine is a simple one that I do more often than I like to admit, when using a tape measure.

It is simply marking the fraction on the wrong side of the even inch measurement. In other words, If I want 48 & 1/2 inches, I end up with a piece 47 & 1/2 inches long.

Yes it seems to always be erred to the short side. :eek:

For this reason, as often as possible I use two sticks held to together with a spring clamp to transfer measurements.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-12-2018, 6:16 PM
I’m glad I’m not alone in my stupidity. Misery loves company. Here is the steam box after fixing the issue.

Dowels will be horizontal in use. iPhone image flip.

Joe Rogers
12-12-2018, 6:16 PM
Cut two tail pieces when I was building my shoulder vise for my work bench. Wasted a two foot piece of donated twelve quarter mahogany...sob!
Joe

Tom M King
12-12-2018, 6:24 PM
I've never done anything like that....

Tom M King
12-12-2018, 6:25 PM
on days when I didn't get out of bed.

glenn bradley
12-12-2018, 6:39 PM
I often wondered how ANYONE could be silly enough to put a tablesaw blade on backward. Then there was a lot of burning on this one cut, right after switching to a rip blade . . . :o

Andrew Seemann
12-12-2018, 7:09 PM
Mine is a simple one that I do more often than I like to admit, when using a tape measure.

It is simply marking the fraction on the wrong side of the even inch measurement. In other words, If I want 48 & 1/2 inches, I end up with a piece 47 & 1/2 inches long.

For this reason, as often as possible I use two sticks held to together with a spring clamp to transfer measurements.

I used to have to teach engineering students how to use dial calipers and height gauges. I always emphasized to them that after the did their measurement, they should always check it with a regular steel rule to make sure they got the inches place right (this was from personal experience). They always looked at me like I was some idiot Liberal Arts student who couldn't do math (which I was). Sure enough, every one of them after 10 minutes of measuring would read the inches on the wrong side of the mark, and get 5.879 rather than the correct 4.879, because the 5 was closer to the mark than the 4, and the way they caught it was by checking with the rule.

Speaking of not being able to do math.....

I recently was making a new mobile base for my best-parts-of-two-old-Unisaws table saw upgrade. I measured the height of the saw several times, the height of the casters, added in the thickness of the plywood sub-base, did the math and, on top of that, drew the base profile out full scale. I measured everything out and welded on the caster brackets where my drawing indicated. And somehow when I put on the casters, the saw top was a half inch too high. No clue how I goofed up the calculation, I even wrote it out. I ended up having to use smaller casters and different levelers. I still have no idea how I managed to mess it up.

marlin adams
12-12-2018, 7:36 PM
I have 4 ex's

John Ziebron
12-12-2018, 7:37 PM
I recently made some inside storm windows by using PVC brick molding. And even though I carry Pat's idea a step further by always measuring twice and cutting once the vertical members for the first window ended up somehow being an inch short. Luckily, PVC solvent glue works well with hardly any downtime.:D

Mitchell Garnett
12-12-2018, 7:43 PM

And this is why I have a left and right reading tape handy.... most of the time. Being left handed, I make this mistake too often.

Jeff Duncan
12-12-2018, 8:15 PM
Share my stupid moments..... sorry, there's just not enough space on the website for me to post all of them!:o

JeffD

Rick Potter
12-12-2018, 8:20 PM
I hope we are just talking about recent mistakes. I don't want to write a whole book here.

Two days ago I was cutting the edge treatment on 18 new raised panel cabinet doors with a router table. About halfway through the pile, I set a new one on the router table and started cutting. About half way through the first edge, I noticed something looked different.

I was cutting the INSIDE edge of the door, not the outside. Naturally, it was the largest, most complicated door in the whole kitchen. I came up with three different ways to fix it, but was not happy with them. The wife decided she would like to have it just the way it is...probably to hold it over me:(. So, I ended up just turning it over and cutting the correct side. The half cut edge on the inside will only show when the door is open and I can envision her 'accidentally' leaving it open when we have guests.

PS: Bonus goof. Not only am I dumb enough to put a sawblade on backwards, I am brilliant enough to put a whole dado stack on backwards. Not advised.

Warren Lake
12-12-2018, 8:51 PM
Marlin wins

Clint Baxter
12-12-2018, 9:12 PM
Been building a vanity for a customer. Just put my final coat of finish on my drawer faces and went to attach them to the drawers. Only problem is they’re the perfect height for overlay drawers and the perfect width for inset drawers.

Clint

John Goodin
12-13-2018, 2:02 AM
Me too. I always get the fraction right but the whole number wrong.

Derek Cohen
12-13-2018, 7:25 AM
Spot the mistake ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendTwo_html_m47597979.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Carl Beckett
12-13-2018, 8:31 AM
No explanation needed:

Yep, just did this one this weekend. It was half lap joints making a frame, but one end had the lap flipped (and the mating boards were already cut so....). Well, I just glued in a piece and recut the correct side. Severe loss of strength but not in a visible/critical area.

John Patric
12-13-2018, 9:41 AM
Spot the mistake ...

Well it's difficult to spot unless you have glued the horizontal grained strengthening strip into the wrong slot.

Warren Lake
12-13-2018, 9:48 AM
above fllling in the for the dado you glued long grain onto cross grain solid if it wants to move it may or may not be able to or curve as its held on one side only. Maybe not likely as it looks like some type of mahogany and less movement than some woods, depends on the enviroment as well. am I seeing that correctly no coffee yet

Dan Hahr
12-13-2018, 10:13 AM
I was cutting the corners off some shop made crown molding the other day when one of the triangular cross-sectioned pieces caught and flew back and hit me in the jacket pocket, right behind the blade. Made me go, "Ooomph!" But surprisingly didn't hurt at all. Then I remembered my iPhone in the pocket. Well, it had a leather protective case on it and it left a nice 5/16" triangular impression in it. Then I pulled the case off and found another triangular impression. DRT. Right into the brains. The strip
of wood was only 14" long. I kinda wish it just hit me in the gut. I was wearing three layers....

Dan

Howard Pollack
12-13-2018, 10:20 AM
This is a great thread! It is so relieving to read about everyone's errors!

Darcy Warner
12-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Spending 12 years with my ex.

michael langman
12-13-2018, 10:52 AM
I have vinyl siding on 2 sides of my house. No overhang off the gable end roof side to keep the rain off the house. I had a very bad moisture leak problem in the living room off that wall and thought the J channel was not stopping the rain from coming in at the top of the siding.
So I ordered 2 long pieces of metal stepped steel matching the rest of the trim on the house to put over the J channel Gable end on a diagonal.
I measured the length of the run on the left side closest to where you enter the house. I cut the length of metal trim that was about 4" tall by 8 feet long to the chimney. Put the piece up to attach and it was 1 inch too short, because I did not allow enough for the angle on the end of the piece!
I attached a small 1" piece to the end with silicone and said the heck with it.
The first thing most people notice when they enter my house of course.

Charles Taylor
12-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Spot the mistake ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendTwo_html_m47597979.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ha! Our kitchen pantry has a very similar feature.

Kevin Jenness
12-13-2018, 3:55 PM
Not recent, but at my first cabinet shop job I was tasked with making four passage doors for the boss's house. Thumbnail bead both sides, raised panels, jack mitered integral tenons in paint grade pine. The jack miters were a challenge and I took extra care with them on the last door. I guess I was so impressed with how they fit that I had that last frame glued up before I realized I had forgotten to put the panels in. It was a tense couple of hours slicing the beads off one side with a knife and nailing them back on over the panels before the boss came back.

Brian Holcombe
12-13-2018, 5:36 PM
Full swing strike the tip of my finger with a hammer on monday.

John K Jordan
12-13-2018, 7:18 PM
Wow, over 40 replies in 6 hours. Well, I could probably write about my own top 40 moments where I lacked wisdom but hopefully learned something. Like the time time I painstakingly milled a precision piece from aluminum for a jig and angled it the wrong way. Or the time I super-glued my fingers to something unmoveable and just out of reach of the debonder or even a scalpel to cut the bond (my usual method or other stupid CA glue moments).

For stupid lathe moments, I keep a Box o' Shame with reminders. I need to get a bigger box.

JKJ

Malcolm McLeod
12-13-2018, 7:25 PM
ALL of my mistakes have been intentional.

Zac wingert
12-14-2018, 2:08 AM
Trying to thin titebold II way too much with water to avoid running to the store and it all falls apart. Almost cutting off my thumb on the table saw. There is so many I am overwhelmed at this point. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger I guess.

Zac wingert
12-14-2018, 2:09 AM
ALL of my mistakes have been intentional.

me too. Funny how that works.

Frederick Skelly
12-14-2018, 6:33 AM
I have 4 ex's

Ok, you win dude.

Frederick Skelly
12-14-2018, 6:36 AM
Spot the mistake ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

The grain goes the wrong way in that decorative insert next to the dado? ;) ;) ;)

Derek Cohen
12-14-2018, 7:31 AM
Well, the mistake was - firstly - creating the dado on the wrong side of the line. :o The insert was to correct this. Frankly, I was not concerned about the cross grain direction as the area was too small to create movement. And it would be hidden inside the cabinet.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_m43d83b99.jpg

This was an apothecary chest I built in June/July this year.

Then I made a bigger blunder. All the horizontal dados - about 20 of them - were a millimetre (or less) out, but the combination of errors accumulated to make the result look shoddy. :eek:

Here is my blog post ...

The previous weekend had seen the completion of the drawer blades. There were 24 to make - 6 rows with curved faces.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_2876e739.jpg

The walnut was flushed ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_m4fa4efdc.jpg

... and then were slid along the dados in the carcase ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_m43d83b99.jpg

At this point the build came to a grinding halt. The drawer blades ... dados ... were not coplanar ... level ... damn! We are talking a millimetre here-and-there, but the combination looked terrible.

What went wrong?

It was the marking out. I ignored a very simple rule - I failed to use a common reference point. This should have been done with the dividers installed - with the inside base of the carcase as the reference - and not marked outside the carcase.

I could have repaired the dividers, but I decided to scrap the lot and make new ones, and cut new dados.

The carcase was repaired. The dados were filled in ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_m2165b875.jpg

Flushed ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_m34da900a.jpg

None of this would be visible when the new dados were made.

Then I did what I should have done when marking the positions of the dados - made a series of MDF templates, which could be used as left- and right hands ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_2b8e14cb.jpg

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_m73e6f64f.jpg

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_35b907a4.jpg

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_m181775df.jpg

These were used for all dividers, with a line scored by a sharp knife ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_m5c8ae4bf.jpg

The power router and guide were used again. Tempting fate, perhaps, but I was convinced that the fault lay with the marking out, and not the cutting of the dados. I was tempted to just do the dados by hand - I do feel more in control with hand tools - but 40 needed to be done in all, and in hard merbau, before the weekend was over.

I am not going to bore you with pictures of the dados being made. It was the exact same as before ... except this time I did not cut on the wrong side of the line with one! http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_m14d0dc5a.gif

Here is the rear of the chest with the drawer blades inserted ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_m16c5a4d6.jpg

Derek Cohen
12-14-2018, 7:32 AM
And a couple of the front ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestWeekendFour_html_2d8df311.jpg

Well, live and learn ....

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ApothecaryChestFinal_html_172dc901.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Malcolm Schweizer
12-14-2018, 7:48 AM
Well, live and learn ....

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wow- your mistakes are better than my successes! :-)

Bob Grier
12-14-2018, 9:23 AM
Very nice Derek. Really nice.

I'm not sure if this is applicable for you but I went through the same learning process you did :) (on much less formidable projects) and then it morphed into using one piece of MDF or plywood. First I cut it to length for the long setup. After completing cutting dado or mounting sliders, whatever the case, I then cut the MDF or plywood to the next shorter setup and repeated the process as many times as necessary.

Charlie Jones
12-14-2018, 10:17 AM
The gas model is much more powerful. I have a buddy that built his whole house with just one 2x4 using a gas stretcher. His neighbor barely was able to get a shed out of his 18V cordless.

I say go straight to the diesel model. Then you could build a whole development from one 2x4!

Charles Taylor
12-14-2018, 10:22 AM

It certainly turned out gorgeous.

David Utterback
12-14-2018, 1:37 PM
Arrrggghhhh! Reading through this is bringing back some unpleasant and sometimes painful memories. :o

Mike Kees
12-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Ok so my great mistake is trying to get ultra precise measurements with a tape measure by holding the tape on the one inch mark. You can probably guess how this ends... multiple pieces have ended up one inch out,wierd.

michael langman
12-15-2018, 10:46 AM
Well at least they were precisely off Mike.:(

Aaron Rosenthal
12-15-2018, 11:32 AM
The other day I was cutting a piece on the table saw, and in some non-thinking way I began to pull it backwards past the blade with the saw blade still moving.
The piece hit the fence on the other side of the back alley, with a huge gouge in the glued up and almost finished face piece.
Only one of my latest.

Albert Lee
12-15-2018, 1:44 PM
Almost 20 years ago I had my first job on a construction site, within a few days the boss gave me a 9 inch grinder to carry out a task.

As I was cutting this long and laborious task, I phased out. Before I could respond, the grinder kicked back, the body of the grinder hit me in the face(extremely lucky) and I was knocked out for 15 seconds or so. I woke up with a big ass cut in my mouth, no teeth lost, no dislocated chin. Went home and forgotten about this after while.

Ever since then I had a lump in my submandibular area(chin-neck). I didn’t mind and didn’t know this lump is related to the accident. 5-6 years after the accident, one night the lump expanded, remember that recent viral thread of a criminal who had a huge neck? My neck was bigger than that. Went to A&E at 3am and was told to go home cos there is nothing they can do for me and told me to go to real hospital at 8am. I was on the operation table by 9am. Woke up with 6 straws coming out of my cheek draining liquid into a bottle. The test result says the liquid was just saliva. After 3 operations and numerous assessment - they didn’t know what caused it. A young doctor asked: were you in an car accident or something hit your face long time ago? That’s when I clicked. That accident. The young doctor said the grinder damaged my saliva gland and has been leaking saliva into my neck. That’s the lump I had for years. And one night, my body couldn’t absorb the saliva anymore.

Ever since the grinder accident I never touched a grinder. Never. And extremely careful when I touch power tools.

Justin Ludwig
12-15-2018, 3:18 PM
Spending 12 years with my ex.

Took you 12 years? You learn sloooow. Took me 4.

Just built a vanity where I rabbeted one of the legs backwards. I even drew on the leg the orientation of the rabbet (but started at the opposing end) and cut it wrong. Luckily it was paint grade, so a filler strip, some bondo and sanding and I was back in business. Here she is installed.

Wayne Lomman
12-15-2018, 4:52 PM
Last week I was preparing a tender for the supply of 150,000 components over 4 years. I wrote it up in draft form, the boss checked it, the machine shop manager checked it and we all agreed it was OK. I ran out of time to send it off so left it till next morning. In the middle of the night I woke up thinking about this job (value runs into 8 figures) and suddenly it hit me - I had not included the cost of manufacturing the molds for die casting, which is a substantial cost on its own and equal to the projected net profit. It still makes me go cold that if I had been a bit more organised, I would have submitted before I put that figure in.

On the other side of things, my left hand has always copped it. I have removed the middle joint of my thumb with a drop saw, shot at least 6 framing gun nails through it and I can count 6 chisel scars but there were more than that. With all that, it is my right hand that is beset with the worst arthritis... Cheers

Kris Cook
12-15-2018, 7:05 PM

I wish I had known about these before I started my shop build. Could have saved a lot of dough...

This made me laugh.

My shop construction is progressing more slowly than I would like. I have one of my sons helping three days a week.

Yesterday I was working by myself, and not wanting to waste the rental of the man-lift, and trying to get started on the roofing - I nailed two (thankfully small) sections of decking on, and cut and nailed the sub-fascia on the adjacent section. The upper story has three different roof sections.

After I put the decking on I realized once I had laid out the plumb cuts on the other rafter tails my soffit wasn't wide enough for the overhang length on the section I had decked.

To make matters worse, at the end of the day after working on other things, I looked up at the roof line - the middle section that I nailed the sub-fascia to has an overhang on each side I hadn't finished building and the board needed to be extended on both sides.

So - I probably would have been better off staying inside yesterday as I had to spend part of today undoing and redoing those areas.

Lee Schierer
12-15-2018, 7:48 PM
So - I probably would have been better off staying inside yesterday as I had to spend part of today undoing and redoing those areas.

You can probably order one of these and get it before Christmas.

https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/videos/the-worlds-first-board-stretcher_c

Rick Potter
12-16-2018, 3:00 PM
Wow, I love it Lee, I want one, but the website is out of order.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-16-2018, 5:04 PM
Do I dare admit to yet another stupid??? I was just gluing up a 7-piece laminate for a bow stem for the boat build. I had to butter both sides of each strip with epoxy, except the two outer strips. Well, I was going right along and not thinking and buttered both sides of one of the outer strips. I just took some clear packing tape, which epoxy won't stick to, and stuck it (surface tension held it) to the outer part so that the clamps wouldn't get epoxied to the piece. At least I had a smart fix for my stupid moment.

Kris Cook
12-17-2018, 9:31 PM
You can probably order one of these and get it before Christmas.

https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/videos/the-worlds-first-board-stretcher_c

That is awesome.

Jim Riseborough
12-21-2018, 11:23 AM
When I was about 15 I got into wood working.........
When I was about 30 I got into boating.................

Boat.....Bring Out Another Thousand
Wood Working.......You can never make enough money to get the tools you desire.

Charles Taylor
12-23-2018, 5:08 PM
I only did this so I could add to this thread.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.