PDA

View Full Version : Antique Tool Pictures

Keith Outten
07-02-2003, 1:58 PM
The link below will take you to a web page with thumbnail pictures of most of the antique pictures I recently found on the web. I have included the file size in the file names, note that many of the files are very large and download time may be very long for those who are not using broadband Internet connections.

Many of these pictures would be suitable for wallpaper.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/tools/

Ken Salisbury
07-02-2003, 2:23 PM
Keith -- Those are some really neat drawings (I use to do similiar drawings for newspaper ads when I went to Commercial Art School (1947 - 1948).

Tool .001 (lathe) is very similiar to the lathe my Grandfather had. The one depicted looks like a metal working lathe though. He had one with pedals and a tool rest for using chisels. I remember it well - in that the pedals would operate from either the front or the back making it a 2 person job if necessary. He use to make me pedal that thing -- I hated it :D.

Chuck Waller
07-02-2003, 2:24 PM
Keith,

These images are awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to make them available to us.

Chuck - near Nashville

Glenn Clabo
07-02-2003, 2:54 PM
Wicked cool Keith! Thanks.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-02-2003, 8:33 PM
Keith, thanks for posting the tool drawings. Sure brought back memories to this old soldier.

Keith Outten
07-06-2003, 6:33 AM
Ken,

The picture below is a foot powered woodlathe built by the A. F. Prentice & Co., in Worcester Mass., in 1873. It weighed 400 pounds, had an 11" swing, a bed length of 4 or 5 feet and was made with and without back gears.

I'm still collecting the Manufacturer and Builder newspapers from the late 1800's so I have hundreds more pictures, the woodworking equipment that I collect will be added to the web page I started in the next week. I posted this picture for you woodturners, there are more woodlathes to come.

Ken Salisbury
07-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Ken,

The picture below is a foot powered woodlathe built by the A. F. Prentice & Co., in Worcester Mass., in 1873. It weighed 400 pounds, had an 11" swing, a bed length of 4 or 5 feet and was made with and without back gears.

I'm still collecting the Manufacturer and Builder newspapers from the late 1800's so I have hundreds more pictures, the woodworking equipment that I collect will be added to the web page I started in the next week. I posted this picture for you woodturners, there are more woodlathes to come.
Keith -- looks darn familiar except for one thing -- as I remember Granddad's lathe had pedals facing both front and rear so the machine could be operated pedalled from either side. He might have added that to his on his own for all I know. Hard to remember that long ago :D

Keith Outten
07-06-2003, 11:58 PM
Ken,

I have to date collected 747 pages of the Manufacturer and Builder Newspaper. There are plenty of pictures to go through and get on the web page I started. Maybe I will find the lathe you mentioned, that would be a real kick :) The pages average a half meg each in file size and they are large enough to easilly read the articles.

I hope to be able to distribute old newspapers and other goodies I have collected with SawMill Creek. The articles are absolutely fantastic as well as the pictures. There are pictures of everything you can imagine, boilers, pumps, house plans, drilling machines, etc. I even found an article about the first electric chair, telephone, and plumbing systems. Lots of stuff about the stone industry, science articles and every other subject you can imagine.

I'm sure that Aaron could develope a database and cross reference all of the articles which would make it very easy to find items of interest.