PDA

View Full Version : Where can I purchase dovetail keys other than Hoffman?

Louise Tomlin
12-12-2018, 9:37 AM
I use a lot of dovetail keys for picture frames that I make and I need input on a good reasonable site to purchase these. I have been buying from Hoffman, but I need them more reasonable. Any information would be appreciated.

Jim Morgan
12-12-2018, 12:25 PM
If you have the router bit to cut the sockets, why not use that to cut your own keys? Probably cheaper, and you would certainly have better control over the quality of the material.

Mike Henderson
12-12-2018, 12:33 PM
What I do is cut a groove in the end of each picture frame piece and put in a biscuit. I don't cut the groove fully across the 45 degree end - just enough to get the biscuit in. That provides strength to the joint and doesn't show.

Mike

Richard Coers
12-12-2018, 2:39 PM
If you have the router bit to cut the sockets, why not use that to cut your own keys? Probably cheaper, and you would certainly have better control over the quality of the material.

The keys are tapered to pull the joint tight, not an easy cut to duplicate. I don't have the system, always wanted to get one. I don't know what you are paying, but only has to be a tiny fraction of what you put in the framing.

J.R. Rutter
12-12-2018, 3:35 PM
I buy my keys from a distributor, Barbo Machinery here in the PNW.

The other advantage to the Hoffman keys, assuming you mean the plastic ones, is that they will never split along the grain.

Warren Lake
12-12-2018, 4:11 PM
never looked too close but memory says they were synthetic material and hammered in drawing stuff together, i think Joe uses them in his bollection mouldings, speaks highly of the level of thought and care he puts into the work.