PDA

View Full Version : waterless shop urinal?

Rick Potter
12-11-2018, 7:35 PM
I have always wished my detached shop had a bathroom, but it wasn't within my means when I built it. The nearest sewer line is on the other side of the house.

I have only recently thought of using a waterless urinal, and knew nothing about them, so I googled them, and watched videos on cleaning and maintaining them. So I now know they are not really waterless, but need very little water, and are hooked to a sewer drain.

I am wondering if it is feasible to install one in my shop, and have the drain line go through the wall to a simple gravel filled pit the size of a 5 gal bucket. It appears that would be plenty big enough to handle the occasional water needed to clean and maintain the urinal.

Seems like that would be a bit classier than my use of the same mentioned gravel area from the outside of the shop.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Perry Hilbert Jr
12-11-2018, 8:51 PM
Years ago, a guy my dad knew had a hunting cabin that was up on stilts, sort of a combination cabin/deer stand. Had a fold up cot along the one wall, kerosene heater, chair and a transistor radio. He had an out house about 50 ft away. But this stand was up in the air by 12 to 15 ft. with a step ladder and trapdoor to negotiate to get up and down. So in the corner was a piece of pipe with a long funnel shaped top that had a cover over it. Yep, the pipe went down into the ground to a french drain type thing. That is where urine was deposited, stale coffee was dumped etc.

Wade Lippman
12-11-2018, 10:36 PM
Worked fine at Scout camp.

John K Jordan
12-11-2018, 11:01 PM
I hope to build a bathroom in my shop too, probably by adding on a room. I want a full bathroom with commode, urinal, water heater, and shower. My shop is down the hill from the house and septic system so I'll probably just get out the backhoe and dig a second septic system.

For now, this is a few feet from my shop door and the barn. :)

For your situation I think I'd just dig a dry well (a hole filled with gravel). What's the practical difference between depositing urine directly onto the ground and depositing it on the ground through a pipe?

Just one of my horses can put a few quarts on the ground multiple times a day. Let's see, three horses, three mini donkeys, six camelids, cats and dogs and possums and...

You might check with the health department to see if there are special rules. There are situations where people install tanks even for the house where a septic system is impractical, having it pumped as needed.

JKJ

Mel Fulks
12-12-2018, 12:29 AM
John, the Romans used urine for doing the laundry. All you would need to make that a success is some really good advertising!

Rich Engelhardt
12-12-2018, 8:43 AM
For now, this is a few feet from my shop door and the barn.I wondered how long it would take until this solution was mentioned :D :D !
They have those in San Francisco too, only they nail the signs to telephone poles instead of trees ;).

Lee Schierer
12-12-2018, 9:17 AM
Just a word of caution here. Installing a non-approved urinal or toilet in a building can lead to fines and penalties. You are advertising your intent on a forum that is viewable by almost anyone.....

Jim Becker
12-12-2018, 9:53 AM
Just a word of caution here. Installing a non-approved urinal or toilet in a building can lead to fines and penalties. You are advertising your intent on a forum that is viewable by almost anyone.....

Yes, Lee beat me to it. Will it work? Absolutely. Will it cost you an arm, a leg and maybe another appendage? Possibly. Septic/plumbing is the most heavily regulated thing across almost all jurisdictions these days. Please find out what the rules are in your area before you do anything. You may be able to do what you want to do with a holding tank.

Bradley Gray
12-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Put down the gravel and add a bit of privacy fence - you could stash a trash can there to make it less obvious.

Alan Rutherford
12-12-2018, 12:11 PM
... in the corner was a piece of pipe with a long funnel shaped top that had a cover over it. Yep, the pipe went down into the ground to a french drain type thing... When I was in the USAF many years ago I talked my way into several back-seat rides in T-33 jet trainers. Right there under the middle of the front of the seat was a small funnel that I assumed was a fire extinguisher until I asked.

Your proposed solution sounds fine. There are many ways you could make the indoor part elegant, if you were inclined to do that.

You got me thinking.... my garage/workshop has no plumbing. It also has brick walls up to about 3 1/2 feet above the floor and I'd rather not drill through the brick.. It would be interesting....

Perry Hilbert Jr
12-12-2018, 12:37 PM
I bought my farm long before zoning, but after the modern septic rules. I can continue to use facilites that existed before the modern rules., which is why I have so carefully maintained the old old house. It may not get used for six months at a time, but it is there about 100 ft from the barn which is three hundred feet from the house. There is also a septic tank and field from the 1970's near the barn. It hasn't been used since the late 1990's, but it was approved years ago. If the barn grew a small bathroom inside, the authorities have to prove when and how, to make their case. IIRC the fine here can be as much as $2,500 per day for illegally connecting or using an illegal system. But, I know for a fact that the township records were lost in a fire a 8 years ago. The current septic enforcement officer is a decent guy, the old one was one of those tyrants who exceeded the level of his competence. He would intentionally lie to people about what was required so his fees would be higher. He was replaced after being hauled off to an institution for some irrational things he did during a divorce. Anyway, it is up to you to determine the chances of being caught vs the costs of going legitimately. The costs here, require a permit, an engineer design plan, approval of that plan by the municipality and then inspections and additional fees for a final connection permit. You'd easily be looking at $500 just for administrative fees for a urinal with a holding tank.

lowell holmes
12-12-2018, 1:39 PM
An empty coffee can with plastic lid works. :)

Dave Cav
12-12-2018, 2:00 PM
An empty coffee can with plastic lid works. :)

Or a 5 gallon bucket half full of kitty litter. Or even sawdust. Should have some of that around.

Regarding the "waterless" urinals, in a previous life I was a facilities manager. Those things were a big deal in the 90s until people got a few years experience with them. They have to be cleaned and maintained rigorously, and still get pretty nasty. I haven't seen one in years although they are probably still around.

Erik Loza
12-12-2018, 2:15 PM
"In the bamboo hedge behind the garage". The dogs follow me out and we all mark our territory. :D

Erik

Bruce Wrenn
12-13-2018, 9:21 PM
Living in the middle of a pine forest, every tree needs regular marking, and I do my part. I can't see going into house to dispose of a pint of urine with 1.28 gallons of water. Waterless systems are used in environmentally sensitive areas. On I-64, east of Richmond is a rest stop that is in the middle of a swamp, so all waste has to be trucked out, which makes sense. Mineral oil is used to carry waste from fixtures to holding basins, then solids and water are removed from bottom, with oil skimmed off top to be reused

James Tibbetts
12-13-2018, 9:47 PM
Have you considered one of the small portable camping toilet? Once a week take it in the house and dump it into the toilet. No plumbing needed.

Rick Potter
12-14-2018, 4:02 AM
Alas, another dream shattered. Some replies reminded me of the PC police, and considering where I live, in the PDRC, I forgot that my attempt to be a little classier in handling my necessary body functions could actually get me in legal trouble. Good intentions be damned, there are rules to be enforced. No good deed goes unpunished, etc.

Sure, I thought of the old coffee can/hose trick, but that waterless urinal sure was enticing. I would be foolish to make a gravel pit setup knowing I could run afoul of the code enforcement commissars. I shall rejoin my two canines in the gravel area behind the shop.

My shop is close the house, but to use the facilities I need to walk through three doors, and a gate, around the tutoring classroom, to the other side to gain access. At 76, we are talking about a lot of trips.

Thanks folks.

Jim Becker
12-14-2018, 9:39 AM
Rick, you can probably work something out that's "in the middle"...rather than buying an expensive fixture that potentially could cause the issues mentioned in the thread, you could easily do a simpler setup that's not unlike the provisions in a porta-potty for males. A "funnel" made from a milk jug with the bottom cut off tied to a hose that heads outside through the wall to a bucket with a secure cover. You just need to empty it occasionally into a toilet in the house and it's usable in any weather. I'm sure the dogs will be disappointed, but...

John K Jordan
12-14-2018, 6:16 PM
... tied to a hose that heads outside through the wall ...

Look up pilot relief tube. Think about that when looking up to watch a plane go over.

JKJ

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2018, 5:51 PM
My backyard works really well. :)

daryl moses
12-15-2018, 7:26 PM
I just open the door and let-er-rip.
No neighbors for miles behind my house where my shop is. UPS driver almost caught me once though.:D

John K Jordan
12-15-2018, 10:27 PM
I just open the door and let-er-rip.
No neighbors for miles behind my house where my shop is. UPS driver almost caught me once though.:D

When females are here at the barn (vet, farm help, etc) they just want to know where the security cameras are not aimed. One just goes in the barn stall, not much different than what the mini donkeys and llamas leave. Quite a difference from the teen girl who stepped on one goat pellet at a church event a few years ago - you'd think she'd had a bucket of slop poured over her head and down her clean white dress.

JKJ

Roy Petersen
12-16-2018, 7:37 AM
Simplest indoor solution would be a 5 gallon pail and cat litter. Baking soda will help with any odor, change now and again.

Bob Grier
12-16-2018, 9:13 AM
I want so bad to say "Just dig a hole, dump some gravel in it, use it, and flush with water every so often so it doesn't develop a smell". But I won't because I am not sure you aren't living on a typical residential lot in a subdivision with neighbors where a sensitive person might see you using. That might turn out bad. If you are a reasonable person, you should be able to judge what to do and not worry about it. If you do go for it, consider location so a visitor won't surprise you when coming to visiting, even if they are headed for the shop or back door.

Rick Potter
12-16-2018, 2:42 PM
The decision is made. See post #17. Back to the solution used for the 10 years since I built the shop.

I was hoping for a more classy setup, but considering where I live....I don't wish to run afoul of the law.

Mel Fulks
12-16-2018, 2:58 PM
The decision is made. See post #17. Back to the solution used for the 10 years since I built the shop.

I was hoping for a more classy setup, but considering where I live....I don't wish to run afoul of the law.
I agree. Its frightening to see that mob coming after you ,carrying their bright non poluting LED torches and heads of lettuce impaled on giant stainless steel forks!!

Rick Potter
12-17-2018, 2:49 AM
We conserve everything here. Make that Romaine lettuce on those pitchforks.

Richard McComas
12-17-2018, 3:46 AM
I just make yellow snow.