PDA

View Full Version : Paint shelf 60" span...best methods for support?

Mike Manning
12-11-2018, 4:46 PM
My son does hand painted signs for a living. He requested a paint shelf for his shop. It will have two shelves and the entire unit will measure approximate 24"(h) x 12"(d) x 60"(w). He'll put mostly gallons and quarts of paint on it so I think it needs some mid-span support. I'll be building it probably with some 3/4" pine plywood I have on hand from the big orange store. What ways would you guys recommend for getting that mid-shelf support? Thanks!

Richard Coers
12-11-2018, 4:54 PM
Doesn't he need a hazardous material cabinet to store paint in a commercial business? My insurance company wanted that when I was in business.

Mike Manning
12-11-2018, 5:01 PM
Doesn't he need a hazardous material cabinet to store paint in a commercial business? My insurance company wanted that when I was in business.

OMG! Jeez, probably but I'll bet he doesn't know and I sure don't. He had been doing his work out of his 2-car garage/shop but just leased some space for his shop. I'll mention it to him. He has a mentor who is the top guy in the area and has been doing it since the 60s. He can find out if he ever stored his paint in a hazardous materials cabinet. Thanks.

I haven't got my license yet to breathe air. Sure hope they don't catch me! ;-)

PS I know he doesn't have insurance.

Jim Becker
12-11-2018, 5:13 PM
If he's only using water borne products, a shelf is likely sufficient. But if he's using oil based products and in commercial space, he's likely going to need specified provisions for storing flammable materials.

To your specific question...oh, yea...finish is heavy. I'd have at least two supports interior to that span for this application. I typically use the heavy Stirling shelf system (available through Lee Valley for sure and I think Woodcraft...HD no longer carries it) for these kinds of things with the rails on 16" centers.

johnny means
12-11-2018, 5:24 PM
I stored gallon cans of finish on simple 3/4"plywood shelves for years. They were simply glued and screwed to the back and sides. The units 48x96x12 and stayed loaded with paint cans. Of course, there was some obvious sag, but nothing I ever felt was remotely nonfunctional.

John K Jordan
12-11-2018, 6:10 PM
I build two-shelf shelves like that for my shop with 3/4" pine. I put vertical pieces on each end and in the middle as needed to build sort of a cabinet. Each vertical is screwed and glued to the upper and lower shelves, in a dado if I'm not feeling lazy. The resulting open-backed box is quite strong. I fasten the box to the wall with several small brackets I make from aluminum angle with holes for screws. I put a few of these under the lower shelf and some on the vertical pieces near the tops.

JKJ

Bill Dufour
12-11-2018, 8:19 PM
I would use angle iron front and back with the pine sitting down inside the angle. A few screw holes in each end to anchor the iron to a vertical support.
Bil lD.

Richard Coers
12-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Once the city finds about his business location move, the fire marshall shows up. Between the fire marshall and the insurance agent, one of them will certainly explain the law. Could even mean a paint booth. Owning a small business is not easy! If it was, everyone would do it.

Bill Dufour
12-11-2018, 11:11 PM
Old refrigerators make good paint lockers. Somewhat fireproof, adjustable shelves. The light might even work. If freezing paint is a problem wire it so the light stays on all winter. Also keeps welding rod from getting damp.
Bill D.

Zac wingert
12-12-2018, 3:06 AM
If it’s completely utilitarian, and no woodworking accomplishment, and assuming it’ll against a wall, why not use these things from HD for $1-2 each?

Sorry, photo is sidesways

(JKJ EDIT: rotate photo)

Tom Bender
12-12-2018, 8:26 AM
12" deep is probably not optimal. Will he store one can deep or two?

Lee Schierer
12-12-2018, 9:28 AM
The sagulator (https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/) is your friend here.
A 12 x 60 x 3/4" red oak shelf will only sag 0.09 inches fully loaded with 10 cans of paint weighing 12 pounds each.

Dave Sabo
12-12-2018, 9:44 AM
A 12 x 60 x 3/4" red oak shelf will only sag 0.09 inches fully loaded with 10 cans of paint weighing 12 pounds each.

Thats brilliant. Thanks Lee

Mike Manning
12-12-2018, 10:49 AM
12" deep is probably not optimal. Will he store one can deep or two?

Tom,
I'm not sure. I'm going to check out his new shop today. I'd guess 1 deep with gallons, more with quarts.

Mike Manning
12-12-2018, 10:51 AM
If it’s completely utilitarian, and no woodworking accomplishment, and assuming it’ll against a wall, why not use these things from HD for $1-2 each? ...

(JKJ EDIT: rotate photo)

Zac,
It will not be against a wall. So I'll be putting a back on the shelf.

Matt Day
12-12-2018, 10:58 AM
If he’s only storing one can deep, why not make the shelf depth 1 can deep?

I also agree with the statements about code/safety/insurance. If he’s doing it for a living, he’s getting paid and is he reporting to the tax man? He should also be insured and doing things the right way.

John K Jordan
12-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Interesting. Be sure to read the notes, for example "The Sagulator computes initial sag only. As an engineering rule of thumb, wood beams/shelves will sag an additional 50% over time beyond the initial deflection."

Lee Schierer
12-12-2018, 2:00 PM
Interesting. Be sure to read the notes, for example "The Sagulator computes initial sag only. As an engineering rule of thumb, wood beams/shelves will sag an additional 50% over time beyond the initial deflection."

I agree, but 50% of .09" is pretty small. Add a 1 x 3/4 stiffener along the bottom and you get almost zero sag.