PDA

View Full Version : Bevel a large tabletop

Mike Tagge
12-11-2018, 4:04 PM
I saw a picture of a conference table that was probably 10' long, 5' wide and 1.5" thick. I imagine that would probably be about 200 lbs or more and very unwieldy to cut on say a table saw or even a sliding table saw. How would you do it? In the past I had a similar project where I used a power planer and a jig to so a shallow bevel but the table was much smaller and curved.

Steve Jenkins
12-11-2018, 4:36 PM
Not too long ago I posted a couple pics of a dining table with an undercut bevel. It was 42 x 108. I used a portaplane with an adjustable fence set to 22-1/2. Worked well.

Vijay Kumar
12-11-2018, 4:39 PM
I saw a picture of a conference table that was probably 10' long, 5' wide and 1.5" thick. I imagine that would probably be about 200 lbs or more and very unwieldy to cut on say a table saw or even a sliding table saw. How would you do it? In the past I had a similar project where I used a power planer and a jig to so a shallow bevel but the table was much smaller and curved.

Assuming the edges are straight, a track saw such as a Festool TS 75 would do it.

Vijay

Jim Becker
12-11-2018, 5:18 PM
In this new SCM video by Sam Blasco at just past the 7 minute mark, he shows a beveling technique for a counter top which certainly could be done on a large slider for a table like you ask about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oHoWFzKICU

Mike Cutler
12-11-2018, 6:27 PM
Would a large router work? You might have to take multiple passes.

Matthew Curtis
12-11-2018, 6:31 PM
Circular saw with a straight edge jig would work as long as the sides are straight.

Wayne Lomman
12-11-2018, 6:44 PM
A sliding table panel saw does this easily. So does a portable circular saw, a portable power planer or a router mounted on an angled jig. The slider is the best for precision. All methods require a degree of sanding afterwards. A hoist in the workshop helps a lot with this. Cheers

Steve Jenkins
12-11-2018, 7:35 PM
I considered using my slider to do the bevel but I thought that a 45 didn’t look good. With the portaplaner I was able get the 22-1/2 that I think looks much better. Personal preference. I could have used my shaper if I had more room around it although working with a 9 foot long nearly 200 pound top creates its own challenges.

Bill Dufour
12-11-2018, 8:15 PM
I considered using my slider to do the bevel but I thought that a 45 didn’t look good. With the portaplaner I was able get the 22-1/2 that I think looks much better. Personal preference. I could have used my shaper if I had more room around it although working with a 9 foot long nearly 200 pound top creates its own challenges.

Why would a slider not do 22.5 degrees or any other angle for that matter. Is it just too small a blade.? I suppose a big radial arm saw might do it.

Steve Jenkins
12-11-2018, 10:12 PM
The blade tilts about 46 degrees measured from vertical. I wanted 22-1/2 from horizontal which is 67-1/2 from vertical. Can’t think of any saw that will tilt that far.

Bill Dufour
12-11-2018, 11:02 PM
Clamp a 4x4 to the top and run the saw on its side? Sounds like a slip up waiting to happen with gravity working against a straight line.

Kevin Beitz
12-12-2018, 8:53 AM
I make tables like that... Some are 3" thick. I do my cutting with my saw mill and plane with a homemade router plane.

Robert Engel
12-12-2018, 9:00 AM
Check the round table video by Timothy Wilmots. He uses a slanted router jig and a planer bit that worked quite well.