PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Work

Ron Ainge
12-01-2005, 9:58 AM
I finished these bowls last weekend and just fot the pictures taken last night. The first bowl is of spalted maple and it is about 8 1/2 inches wide and 3 inches deep. It turned really easy but it took some work to finishe it the way I wanted it to be. I finially sanded all of the first fininsh off and then applied a sanding sealer, then used the beal buffer to finishe it with. The second bowl is a piece of cherry that I was given this summer, as you can see it had two fairly large checks in it that I filled with malicite. This bowl is a little over 9 inches wide and 3 1/2 inches deep. I hope you like them.

Ron Ainge
12-01-2005, 2:44 PM
I guess that the bowls are not good enough to get any response.

John Hart
12-01-2005, 2:52 PM
Oh geezz!!! Sorry! I looked at these this morning and coulda sworn that I said something!!! I love the Ambrosia maple bowl. It's great Ron!! I know that this morning I thought that there was something that didn't appeal to me about the malicite filler in the Cherry....but then decided it was just the color that didn't strike me right. I love the idea...But, personally, I prefer Black or dark brown.

Rich Stewart
12-01-2005, 2:59 PM
Great looking bowls. I really like turning cherry. I like the foot on the cherry bowl. I want to try a bowl that big but I have trouble finding any blanks that big. All mine are about 5-6 inches.

Ron Ainge
12-01-2005, 4:01 PM
John the picture of the cherry bowl does not do it justice. The malicite looks a lot better in person than it does in the picture. I have stated to do some inlay work and I made the checks in this a bit larger than they needed to be I think.

Rich I also like to turn the cherry and have been lucky enough in the past few months to aquire three pieces about as large as this one. I still have two more to turn and I will wait a bit longer for those two so they can dry a bit more.

thanks for the comments.

Dick Parr
12-01-2005, 5:12 PM
Nice looking bowls Ron. Cherry is fun to work with.

Joe Tonich
12-01-2005, 7:26 PM
The Ambrosia bowl looks good. I like how them lil buggers stain the wood like that.

I'm not sure about the crack filler, but the cherry bowl is sweet, also. I love to work with Cherry, makes the shop smell so good and the scraps make steaks (and ribs) taste so good too. :D :D

Goos work! :D

Joe

Jim Ketron
12-01-2005, 7:39 PM
Nice Job!
Great form on them both.