PDA

View Full Version : PDA Operating System Preferrence

Troy Wilkins
12-01-2005, 9:38 AM
I am planning to get my wife a PDA for Christmas. I am a bit of a computer geek myself, but I have never even used a PDA. The first thing I noticed when I started looking is that they come in two flavors, Palm OS or Pocket PC versions. I don't have a preferrence, but I would like to get some opinions from people who have actually used one before. I would also like to hear recommendations regarding specific brands and models. The only requirement is that the PDA have built-in wireless capabilities. Thanks for taking a look.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2005, 9:47 AM
Troy....I've had 3 PDA's in the last several years used for daily work....one Kyocera, 2 Samsungs...all were cellphones too. They all operated on Palm OS. My understanding is our next ones will be Pocket PC based. None of the 3 I've had came with wireless. Each model had it's own good points and bad points. My understanding is that Pocket Pc is supposed to be a more stable system but that's rumor nor based on my experience. The best advice I'd give, based on your wife's useage would be to get an extra rechargeable battery and charger. It's a pain when the battery runs down and dumps your stored data. Yet, I can turn mine off, replace the battery and nothings lost. All 3 had IR capabilities which makes it easy to exchange information with other PDAs. Good luck!

Matt Meiser
12-01-2005, 9:49 AM
I'm personally fond of Pocket PC for a couple reasons. First, I found it a lot easier to learn to write letters on it instead of writing the characters that my wife's Palm used. Second, it seemed to integrate with the pc more seamlessly than my wife's Palm, and especially with Outlook.

John Miliunas
12-01-2005, 10:22 AM
This one's easy: See attached!:D :) :cool:

Brian Austin
12-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm a PocketPC fan myself. I've had Palms in the past but the ease and flexibility of the Windows Mobile operating system gives me more options. My older Dell Axim x30 is now with my wife (who loves it after moving from her Palm) and I'm using a PDA phone (Sprint's PPC6700). This is my first PDA phone and I'm very impressed with its features and stability.

Lee DeRaud
12-01-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm a Palm fan myself: the writing recognition seems to work better for my style of printing and there seems to be more bang for the buck in Palm-based machines at the lower price points.

For you, who knows...I'd say, the more you're willing to spend, the more likely it is you'll be happier with the PocketPC...and your desire for wireless moves you up the price scale quite a bit.

For what it's worth.:rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
12-01-2005, 10:39 AM
This one's easy: See attached!:D :) :cool:Well that's not gonna work...do they make a right-handed model?

Jim Becker
12-01-2005, 12:07 PM
For me...it doesn't matter what the underlying OS is for a PDA. I happen to use a Palm machine and have for years, but if I ever bought another...less likely every day...it would be whatever did what I needed at the time. But you should know that even the Palm folks are going to be doing a machine with Windows...an interesting twist to the battle.

Bruce Page
12-01-2005, 1:23 PM
Troy, I used the Palm V for years but switched to the iPac hx4700, that uses the Windows Mobile OS earlier this year. I do a lot of Excel spreadsheet stuff and the iPac handles it much better.

Glenn Clabo
12-01-2005, 1:28 PM
Troy,
Like most everything there are many opinions on this...even within a family. I use a Blackberry...DRLOML uses a Treo650. I don't need a handheld computer but she does. SHe uses it for everything...cellphone, organizer, word processor, and even does presentations for her classes as prof. She has tried other OS's buts swears by Palm and has never once said she's had a problem. If you want an all inclusive peice of gear...take a look at the Treo.

Larry Browning
12-01-2005, 2:19 PM
Speaking of Blackberry. Have you heard the latest about RIM's(Blackberry maker) problems?
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051201/D8E796D00.html

Lee DeRaud
12-01-2005, 2:42 PM
Speaking of Blackberry. Have you heard the latest about RIM's(Blackberry maker) problems?
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051201/D8E796D00.htmlHeh. If Blackberry goes belly-up, all my former bosses will go into immediate withdrawal.:cool:

Curt Harms
12-01-2005, 2:52 PM
palm just came out with one that's WiFi and Bluetooth enabled. If you're enslaved to MS office file formats, the PocketPC is probably better. I just don't have the need for one.

Curt

Glenn Clabo
12-01-2005, 2:59 PM
Can't imagine it coming to a stop. The people I work with in the submarine world would go crazy without being able to bug me anytime...anywhere...for anything.

Brian Austin
12-01-2005, 3:09 PM
Can't imagine it coming to a stop. The people I work with in the submarine world would go crazy without being able to bug me anytime...anywhere...for anything.
It won't. The US government is one of the biggest Blackberry users. The feds protect their interests first.

Brian Austin
12-01-2005, 3:10 PM
palm just came out with one that's WiFi and Bluetooth enabled.
My PPC6700 (really an Audiovox 6700 licensed to Sprint) has Bluetooth, Wifi and EVDO/cellular built-in. I can't get away from the wireless Internet at all! :eek:

Troy Wilkins
12-01-2005, 8:19 PM
Thanks for all of the information and suggestions. It looks like the Pocket PC versions might be more flexible. I will have to do some more investigating and see what is available. I have a sister-in-law that works for Dell, maybe I will give her a ring and see if she can hook me up with a good deal. I have read several good reviews about the Axim X51.

Bob Johnson2
12-02-2005, 2:20 AM
Troy
I went with an IPAQ with baby windows (it was the only color unit available at the time), I found out afterward there was much more software available for the Palms, this was a couple years ago so it may or may not still be true.

Rich Konopka
12-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Go with the Treo 650. It is Palm OS based and also a phone, camera, web mail, blue tooth, and web browsing.