PDA

View Full Version : Possibly The Best Tools Stanley Made

John McClanahan
12-09-2018, 8:28 PM
Last summer my job of many years ended when the owner retired and closed the business. Monday I start a new job, so I cleaned up my favorite Stanley tools for more years of service. The lunch box dates back to about 1990 and the thermos is from the early 1980's. Neither have ever needed sharpened or adjusted and neither have ever rusted. Few other Stanley tools can claim that!

John

Bruce Volden
12-09-2018, 8:52 PM
Looks like you're still trying to break them in!

Bruce

Bill Carey
12-09-2018, 9:17 PM
47 years and going strong.

Walter Plummer
12-09-2018, 11:08 PM
Nice. I had one just like that. Wish I still did.

Tom Stenzel
12-10-2018, 12:36 AM
I still have mine from the '90's. Except my Stanley vacuum bottle never had the nifty handle on it.

One of the ironworker unions around here had given or sold those to the members. I can't count the times that people asked me what local I worked out of because they saw me carrying it.

They stopped making them years ago. I thought the handle on mine would break. My wife found one at a garage sale so I'd have a spare. So now I have two!

Now that I'm retired it's not my work lunchbucket anymore. It's my fishing lunchbucket now. :)

-Tom

Mel Fulks
12-10-2018, 1:00 AM
Yes,they are great. But I bought brand new thermos from K mart years ago that evidently wasn't sealed right. Had no insulation at all. They didn't believe me. I told them to run their own tests. The replacement is still fine.

Lamar Keeney
12-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Didn't realize how long Stanley had been making these till I picked up one in a junk shop, Took the lid-cup off top and found a cork for a cap then noticed a pat bate of Sept 2-13 on cup and made in Great Barrington Mass.

Tom Stenzel
12-10-2018, 1:50 PM
Didn't realize how long Stanley had been making these till I picked up one in a junk shop, Took the lid-cup off top and found a cork for a cap then noticed a pat bate of Sept 2-13 on cup and made in Great Barrington Mass.

If you plan to use it replace the cork with a different cap. The cork will absorb things that can't be removed. That's something I learned from my godfather who found that the milk he creamed his coffee soured in the cork and made a mess of anything that he put in afterwards.

He would heat up chili and a hotdog, tie some dental floss to the dog and put it in the thermos with the floss sticking out of the cap. At lunchtime he'd pull out the dog and and have a hot chili dog and a bowl of chili. Good eats for someone working in a machine shop like he did.

-Tom

Lamar Keeney
12-10-2018, 6:58 PM
Thanks Tom, I doubt this will ever be used by me. Good to know cause theres no telling what may have been in it the last 100 years.

Jim Koepke
12-11-2018, 12:33 AM
My old Stanley thermos is ready when needed. The aluminum lunch box, not Stanley, is now serving as a small tool box for the house.

jtk

Bill Dufour
12-12-2018, 9:31 AM
You do realize this is not the same Stanley?

Kevin Beitz
12-13-2018, 9:24 AM
I also had one like that many years ago... I see them come into our local junkyard every year...