PDA

View Full Version : Itty Bitty Contest

Pages : [1] 2

John Hart
12-01-2005, 7:15 AM
It's time for the first ever Turners Forum Itty Bitty Contest. Come one, come all!!! The rules of the contest are simple.

For Entry, you must turn a miniature piece and post it in this thread. We will ask a non-participant to judge and determine the winner. You may turn any form you like and submit as many entries as you like as long as they fit the following criteria.

1. No longer than 1 1/2" in length
2. No larger than 3/4" in diameter.
3. Must be made from wood
4. Must be finished
5. No Photo editing
6. Three pics - One for show, One against a scale for length, and one against a scale for diameter.

You will be judged on the following criteria:

1. Originality
2. Form
3. Finish
4. Size (smaller the better)
5. Complexity
6. Figure and grain

Impregnated stabilized blanks are acceptable.

The winner will be awarded a "Special" Trophy.

The contest will commence Today (12-1-05) and will accept entries until 12-8-05. Judging will take place after the entry deadline.

Any objections to these rules may be submitted to the contest committee via this thread. Good Luck!

Jeremiah Jordan
12-01-2005, 7:32 AM
That is way too small for me John, but I would be more than willing to be the judge of the contest.

Jeremaih

Chris Barton
12-01-2005, 8:42 AM
I'm in, I will get something turned when I get home this weekend. Now, which lathe to use, the PM5320a or the Jet Mini?????:eek:

John Hart
12-01-2005, 9:13 AM
That is way too small for me John, but I would be more than willing to be the judge of the contest.

Jeremaih

I'm ok with you as a judge Jeremiah....Unless there are other objections. You'll need to start spelling your name correctly and we'll need to do a background investigation of course. Please list all your friends since you were 6 so we can visit their houses and ask them about you. Thanks :D

Hey...maybe we should have a panel of judges. Probably should assign a point system to each of the criteria.

Jeremiah Jordan
12-01-2005, 9:29 AM
Lol. Yeah John. My bad. It was early in the morning. No caffeine yet and dreading a test.

Jeremiah

Rich Stewart
12-01-2005, 9:55 AM
I'm in. I'll get some time this week-end. My son has been working with me in the shed. Ok if he turns something too? he's gettin pretty good. Made a box the first thing he ever did.

John Miliunas
12-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Egads!!!! :eek: Heck, I can't even turn something of "normal" size, much less something that tiny!!!:) Still, should be fun checking out all the entries! Neat idea, John!:) :cool:

Bob Noles
12-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Well let's see.......

My lathe hasn't arrived yet so if I put my truck up on blocks and take one of the wheels off I should still have a chance..... Right?

Now, does anybody have a recommedation of how may rpm's I should have the LOML keep the engine running at while I try to turn :D :eek:

John Hart
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
How good are you at whittling Bob?:p I suppose you could use a pencil sharpener and a drill bit.:cool:

I was worried about you. When does your lathe arrive?

Bill Stevener
12-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi All,
This is my entry in the "Itty Bitty Contest"

The wood is American Holly, and the piece is an Early American Goblet.
I tried to photograph the goblet with a scale, however the graduations would not show. The dimensions are as follows and I hope the photos show it in its true perspective.

H= 0.455", Max. W=0.200", Wall Tk.=0.015", Stem=0.060"
The finish is JPW, Boy, was this hard to find a polishing cloth.

The piece is shown with the one I turned several weeks back, only to try and show a better perspective. I tried to show it with the skew, but I couldn't find it. The white one is my entry.

Thanks for looking,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
12-01-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm outta this!!! Geez Bill...Give us a chance will ya???:D :p :p :D

Nah...just kidding....you don't scare me. Nothing quite like a challenge to get a fire lit. ;)

Rich Stewart
12-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Where'd ya get that big a..... big dime at?

Robert Cepek
12-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks Bill -

I'll just thrown in my hat now. No but seriously that is some amazing work! - I think you took the term itty bitty to Hart (ha ha)

Rob

Jeremiah Jordan
12-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Wow, that is very tiny! Amazing work there Bill!

Dennis Peacock
12-01-2005, 12:59 PM
I was gonna enter, but shoot...Bill.......I can't top that. I can't even SEE something that small.!!!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

I wish you luck and all I gotta say? your tool control and EYE SIGHT are a LOT better than mine.;)

John Miliunas
12-01-2005, 1:12 PM
Hey John, didn't you leave out the rule about having to have the usual ID info on the bottom of the piece? You know...Species, signature and date!:D

Bill, earlier on I was just settin' here thinking how I might go about doing something like this. Then I saw your post. Now I'm just settin'....:rolleyes: Nice job, Bill!:) :cool:

John Hart
12-01-2005, 2:39 PM
Hey John, didn't you leave out the rule about having to have the usual ID info on the bottom of the piece? You know...Species, signature and date!:D

Bill, earlier on I was just settin' here thinking how I might go about doing something like this. Then I saw your post. Now I'm just settin'....:rolleyes: Nice job, Bill!:) :cool:

Not a bad idea John!!!! Bill will have to sign his work. The rest of us don't have to, of course....But Bill does! :p

Now...Mr. Miliunas...Mr. Turners Forum Moderator Sir.....Methinks that in order to set a good example, you should mount a microscope to your safety glasses and get in the game. I'm going to do it, knowing full well I'll be in last place....Maybe we should give out M&Ms or something for participating? :rolleyes:

John Hart
12-01-2005, 2:44 PM
I'm in. I'll get some time this week-end. My son has been working with me in the shed. Ok if he turns something too? he's gettin pretty good. Made a box the first thing he ever did.

I don't think there would be any objections to this Rich....The more the Merrier... And...hey...Where's the Pic of your son's box?

John Miliunas
12-01-2005, 3:01 PM
Not a bad idea John!!!! Bill will have to sign his work. The rest of us don't have to, of course....But Bill does! :p

Now...Mr. Miliunas...Mr. Turners Forum Moderator Sir.....Methinks that in order to set a good example, you should mount a microscope to your safety glasses and get in the game. I'm going to do it, knowing full well I'll be in last place....Maybe we should give out M&Ms or something for participating? :rolleyes:

I'll have to see if I have a chunk 'o wood big enough, first! :D No, I'm serious here. I'll probably need to start with the equivalent of about a cord of firewood before I could come up with anything even close to that!!!:rolleyes: Oh, and BTW: Cut the "Sir" garbage! In my book, "Sir" is reserved for my Dad or for folks serving or having served our Country! (Or, Mam, as the case may be!:) ) 'Round these parts, I'm just a plain old Joe Six-Pack trying to learn me something!:D :cool:

Rich Stewart
12-01-2005, 3:03 PM
He gave it to somebody for a birthday present before I could get a shot of it. It was actually very good. Kids got a good eye. I make him nervous. I'm like a nervous hen when he is around power tools. I think he's going to be really good.

Jeremiah Jordan
12-01-2005, 3:20 PM
When ever I am turning, I shove my father out of the shop! Not too nice, but having someone look over my shoulder makes me really nervous. And i have to be relaxed when I turn.

Carole Valentine
12-01-2005, 3:48 PM
I will if I can find the time! My main data hard drive just crashed and I have GOT to retrieve what I can...very time consuming. Why, oh why don't I follow my own advice???? Backup, backup, backup! Dont ever get slack about that just because it is a fairly new drive. They can all go at any time!:mad: Not much lathe time for me this week.

Bill Stevener
12-01-2005, 4:49 PM
Ok guys,
Now this is starting to get difficult, I'm sure glad you didn't ask for it in Scrimshaw.:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2005, 5:09 PM
Guys......I'm not a turner but from what I've seen so far.......You'd better elect Bill the Judge....and of course........Judges can't enter the contest!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Keith Burns
12-01-2005, 7:03 PM
OK Guys I'm in. Just hope we have a good judge! John you need to pick a high quality objective person and not just an artsy type. Some people take these kinds of things very serious:D :D :D

Andy Hoyt
12-01-2005, 9:28 PM
Ok guys,
Now this is starting to get difficult, I'm sure glad you didn't ask for it in Scrimshaw.:eek:

Ahem. Hey Bill - I believe the guy said, "species, signature, and date". Nonconformity to the rules will get you kicked out of the contest.

On second thought - It's just peachy. Dontcha touch anything:D

Yup. I'm in as well. I think I'll shoot for something even our fearless moderator could do - a miniature toothpick!

John Miliunas
12-01-2005, 9:51 PM
Yup. I'm in as well. I think I'll shoot for something even our fearless moderator could do - a miniature toothpick!

Andy, you're fired!!! :mad: First, it was the cameras, then the PhotoShop magic, but now.....now....NOW you've gone and stole my idea, too!!!!:mad: :eek: I even stopped at the store on the way home from work and got some....errrrr......samples.. Yeah. Samples. A whole box of 'em just to make sure I get it right!:D Harumphphphph! Back to the drawing board!:)

Oh, and Bill, I think that will suffice just fine! I can assure you that, if I can even come up with something to submit, it won't have a sig, date or species on it!:) :cool:

John Hart
12-01-2005, 9:56 PM
I agree...besides, Ken Fitzgerald has a great idea! Hey Bill! Wanna be a judge????:) It's a real great honor! :) You'll be great!!!:) :)

Yep....That oughta do it.:D

John Hart
12-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Ok.....This is NOT my entry. It's just the first miniature I've ever done so I wanted to post it. In fact...It's almost too big for the contest. Diameter .747. Sheesh!!!

Anyway...it's my first...It's Mesquite Burl with a BLO friction finish

Ernie Nyvall
12-01-2005, 10:32 PM
I think I'll be in if I got the time, but I think Bill definitely needs to be judge. We could just say he won the 1st contest and start a new one.;) :D

Ernie

Bill Stevener
12-01-2005, 10:52 PM
John I think that's really quite nice, It's just a tad < 0.750", so it should be acceptable.
Ernie - Ernie - Ernie, there have been more excuses posted on this thread than any place I have ever seen. Come-on, I know its still early, and Carole, with a shot down computer:rolleyes: , the one in your lathe didnt shoot craps.:D
I'm sure we are going to have a exceptional showing, these little things aren't that hard, just pick up some chips, stick em on the lathe, and spin something out.
Have fun,
Bill,>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

ps. I'm going to post another one on a new thread, to try and intice others.

John Hart
12-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Ya know what Bill....You're right....I think I'll stop where I am and make that little vase my official entry. I'll take more pics with the scale and edit my post tomorrow. I was pretty amazed how fast and easy it was by the way. Took less time than a pen.;)

John Miliunas
12-01-2005, 11:05 PM
John, just please, please don't tell me you used "Bertha" or the "Ugly Stick" on it!!!:D Nice job!:) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
12-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Ernie - Ernie - Ernie, there have been more excuses posted on this thread than any place I have ever seen.

Actually Bill I was just trying to be nice and give you a chance to duck out of the contest I will be in.... yea right.:D

Ernie

Carole Valentine
12-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Ok.....This is NOT my entry. It's just the first miniature I've ever done so I wanted to post it. In fact...It's almost too big for the contest. Diameter .747. Sheesh!!!

Anyway...it's my first...It's Mesquite Burl with a BLO friction finish
I don't believe you, John Hart! :p And there aren't any flowers that tiny in PA this time of year! Or probably any time of year for that matter!:D I think that to be sure all of you guys stay on the up-and-up you should all just ship your miniatures to me so I can vouch for the authenticity! Return shipment not guaranteed! :rolleyes:

I'm outta this contest before it's even started. LOL Heck I'd have to get my glasses changed to even SEE those things, much less turn one!:D

John Hart
12-01-2005, 11:28 PM
John, just please, please don't tell me you used "Bertha" or the "Ugly Stick" on it!!!:D Nice job!:) :cool:

As a matter of fact...I used "Little Bertha". I took the time to make a little miniature hollowing tool and a little skew. Made 'em out of some old Dremel shafts I had laying around, and turned some hickory handles. I had a pretty fun night. ;) :)

Oh...and Carole...The flowers are Babys Breath from some old dried up flowers that I found in the basement.;) ....So, fire up that Jet!

Bill Stevener
12-01-2005, 11:35 PM
See what can happen when you leave Little Bertha and Ugly Stick alone in the dark, in a pile of chips, they must be fond of each other by now.
Now look, you have "little" tools running all over the place.:D

Carole Valentine
12-02-2005, 1:23 AM
As a matter of fact...I used "Little Bertha". I took the time to make a little miniature hollowing tool and a little skew. Made 'em out of some old Dremel shafts I had laying around, and turned some hickory handles. I had a pretty fun night. ;) :)

Oh...and Carole...The flowers are Babys Breath from some old dried up flowers that I found in the basement.;) ....So, fire up that Jet!

You are unbelievable! I am green with envy. :D Is it signed? I want to buy it (complete with flowers!) so I can say a year from now, "I own a John Hart":) Can you post some pics of the tiny hollowing tools? What speed did you turn it at?

Carole slugs back to her boring data recovery work. I used to love computers 25 years ago...now I hate them.

Jeremiah Jordan
12-02-2005, 7:48 AM
See what can happen when you leave Little Bertha and Ugly Stick alone in the dark, in a pile of chips, they must be fond of each other by now.
Now look, you have "little" tools running all over the place.:D

Gosh darn it! I have some big tools lying around and I can never find the little ones! Any suggestions Bill? LOL

Bill Stevener
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Gerri's Grandmother, who was originally from Ireland, would often sit and tell Gerri and I stories of when she was a young child, living in Ireland. She often noted, "It was very hard indeed to find those little folks. Quite the lady in her day.;)
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Shane Harris
12-02-2005, 3:14 PM
I'm in. Been lookin for an excuse to do more micro turnings.
I love doing things like this. Great idea John... :)

This isn't my entry, but I did this one a little over a year ago. It's sitting on a dime. :D

http://wood_creations.home.insightbb.com/pics/MicroGoblet.jpg

Bob Noles
12-02-2005, 8:18 PM
All I can say is I sure am glad I ordered a "mini lathe", but John forgot to tell me to order "mini tools" :(

Now I don't have any way to make those oversized dimes :D

John Hart
12-02-2005, 8:46 PM
I'm in. Been lookin for an excuse to do more micro turnings....

That's great Shane...Can't wait to see more!!!:)

John Hart
12-02-2005, 8:48 PM
.....John forgot to tell me to order "mini tools" :(

That was intentional Bob.....There's just some things ya gotta make yerself. Hey...This is a good time-killer while you wait for the "big" box!:)

Harry Pye
12-02-2005, 9:00 PM
I'm calling this a champaign flute because it is tall. I think the wood is Canarywood and it is finished with the Beal buffing system. The top is 5/16" in diameter and the opening is 1/4" which leaves the walls 1/32" thick. It is hollowed out to a depth of 1/2". It is 15/16" high and the stem is 1/16".

Never did one of these before and found it to be a lot of fun. And it wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. I think the secret is good, hard, straight grained wood.

Hey John, if I get ambitious, can I submit more than one?

Harry

John Hart
12-02-2005, 9:09 PM
Hey John, if I get ambitious, can I submit more than one?

Looks good Harry!! You know...I was thinking of this very thing today. I don't think there is anything wrong with multiple entries. I was hoping someone would ask! I have altered the rules accordingly.

Chris Barton
12-02-2005, 9:19 PM
OK, I just drug my sorry fat a$$ back home after 5 days on the road and now I find the postings for Bill S. whom I consider a "ringer", this is a lot of pressure... but, I will do my best.

John Hart
12-02-2005, 9:47 PM
Here's my official Entry. Mesquite Burl Hollow Form. Diameter .747, Height .958, Finish: BLO friction cure.

Using the Flashlight made all the difference in the world Bill...Thanks!!

Chris Barton
12-02-2005, 9:54 PM
OK, so forget what I said about Bill S. , maybe it's John H. who's the ringer...:eek: :eek:

Carole Valentine
12-02-2005, 10:10 PM
OK, so forget what I said about Bill S. , maybe it's John H. who's the ringer...:eek: :eek:

Hey Chris, you think they made these first and THEN thought up the contest?:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Just got back from a show at our local Nature Center. Not too much traffic tonight. Maybe it'll be better next week.

Here's my entry to the contest. It is not the smallest I've done, but I like it. The main wood is Mesquite (so much for straight, tight grain) with Cocobolo laminated to make the base and a detail line in the cup. Detail line is .019" thick. The base piece is .069". The wall thickness of the cup is .042. The rest of the details are in the pictures.

Sorry for 4 pictures, but ther were needed.
1. The whole thing
2. The Height
3. The Base(largest) Diameter
4. The Stem Diameter

Thanks for lookin'
Bruce;)

Chris Barton
12-03-2005, 7:16 PM
Carole,

You are so right! That John, Bill and Bruce; they are always trying to show us up. And with me, that doesn't take too much effort...

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-03-2005, 9:45 PM
Actually, Chris, I'm trying to wet your creativity. You are ALL awesome turners and these things ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN!

Bruce

Carole Valentine
12-03-2005, 9:52 PM
I just got a big lathe and my turnings are getting itty bitty????:D Anyway, I had this little stub of walnut left in the chuck tonight, soooo....
It's all done with my 3/8" spindle gouge since I was too lazy to sharpen my skew. Waterlox finish. The sig, species and date are burned. Oh... almost forgot, stem is .09" thick but I couldn't figure out how to get it stable in the caliper and still take a pic.

Bill Stevener
12-03-2005, 10:15 PM

I won't say a word, I won't say a word, I won't say a word. But, I think we have a hustler on our hands. Computers shot down, cant see - need glasses, Ill see if I have time, never played this game before. OH YEA, now look.

OK, 5 days left,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

John Hart
12-03-2005, 10:19 PM
The Itty Bitty Contest Trophy is almost done. Pics tomorrow ;)

Carole Valentine
12-03-2005, 10:23 PM
LOL! Actually, Bill I did find it to be a lot of fun even though I couldn't tell if I had any sanding scratches.:D That one was easy enough that I feel challenged to go smaller...I think I have a 1/8" spindle gouge somewhere around here so I may look for it tomorrow and go borrow my buddy's jeweler's visor.:p

Bill Stevener
12-03-2005, 10:34 PM
OK, OK, now it's, I can't see the sanding scratches :confused:. But ya know what, It's really nice, and I can't see any eather. Go for the smaller one. They are fun.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
12-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Kinda funny that Carole, after her conspiracy theory suddenly surfaces with a killer piece PLUS molecular-sized woodburned calligraphy!!! Sheesh!! When will it end? :D

Great job Bruce and Carole.....We got ourselves a game here!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm telling you....sniffing chips appears to be worse than smokin' dope....drinking wine .....or my favorite......Bud lite.......:rolleyes: :D I hope nobody drives after turning........:D :D :D

John Hart
12-03-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm telling you....sniffing chips appears to be worse than smokin' dope....drinking wine .....or my favorite......Bud lite.......:rolleyes: :D I hope nobody drives after turning........:D :D :D

I jush came up from the shlop (hic*) :p

Carole Valentine
12-03-2005, 11:14 PM

It gives you the munchies too. I just came in and hit a bag of Double Stuff Oreos with a big glass of milk! LOL You better jump into the fray, Ken...you don't know how much fun you are missing.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2005, 11:19 PM
ROTFL..............You turners sure know how to have a good time!

Rich Stewart
12-04-2005, 2:07 AM
I don't know if these will be my official entry but here are some things I was fooling around with this morning. I did these with pen turning tools. No special home built small tools. I been toying with the idea of using coat hanger wire to make some micro tools. My cameras macro thing seems to be not working. Did the best I could with what I have.

Rich Stewart
12-04-2005, 2:10 AM
Forgot to tell you. The larger one is red cedar finished with BLO and Blenham turners polish. The smaller one is poplar with the same. Sanded through 600.

Rich Stewart
12-04-2005, 3:39 AM
Wow!! Y'alls stuff makes mine look like a booger. I am going to try again today. I spent most of the day making a bowl out of a piece of Brazillian rosewood that wifey picked out when we were at PSI. Next week is her birthday and I want it to be real nice. Spent a lot of time on it. Agonizing about going through the bottom or something stupid happening. It came out pretty good so far. I'll send pics when I'm done completely. Man!! That jet mini is a sweet machine. I think it wouldn't really be a bad thing for a feller to have TWO chucks.

John Hart
12-04-2005, 6:47 AM
Rick accidentally posted his entry outside the Contest Thread So I'm moving his Pics over here:

I know I've only been doing this a month or two, and my brother Ron is going nuts with all my phone calls... but I thought I would try this. A little lidded goblet - A piece of oak, with a bloodwood cap. Laughs are welcome. (Maybe some constructive critisism?). Thanks for looking!

Dennis Peacock
12-04-2005, 7:26 AM
Rick accidentally posted his entry outside the Contest Thread So I'm moving his Pics over here:

A lidded box.....!!!!! No THAT deserves some attention.!!! Very nice. :D

Chris Barton
12-04-2005, 8:27 AM
So, I made an error by posting my original entry on another thread. This is what I have to show for my efforts...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26888&d=1133654883

Jeremiah Jordan
12-04-2005, 8:29 AM
That lided box does grab ones attention. Great work.

Jeremiah.

Andy Hoyt
12-04-2005, 8:30 AM
So John. Does Rick's lidded box pop?

John Hart
12-04-2005, 9:13 AM
So, I made an error by posting my original entry on another thread. This is what I have to show for my efforts...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26888&d=1133654883

It's uh....well...I'd have to say....it's very small Chris!! Nice Job! Woo Hoo!! :D

So John. Does Rick's lidded box pop?

I don't know Andy....I don't live in Idaho anymore.:D .... Rick? Does it pop?

Carole Valentine
12-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Here's another Itty Bitty. It is cherry, same height as the other one but the cup and stem are smaller. Also added a detail at the shoulder of the stem and base. Signed and dated but no room for species. :( Waterlox finish. This is FUN!

John Hart
12-04-2005, 1:04 PM
And it just keeps gettin' funner!:) :) I just finished the Trophy. It is posted here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=252338#post252338

Michael Stafford
12-04-2005, 2:10 PM
Well in no way will I offer any competition here as it is unlikely that I will get to finish my entry in time for the contest deadline. And it will be disqualified if I were to enter it.

I am working a very small, but not itty bitty staved segmented bowl in bubinga. With luck it will finish up at less than 3" diameter and 2" tall so it is not legal for this contest. However it is fun for me. Good luck to all you small scale turners; I just have more experience working with larger tools.:p :eek: :D

John Miliunas
12-04-2005, 3:37 PM
OK, so I figured I may as well try something with this little contest. Nothing near the quality of entries, thus far, but accept my feeble attempt at this mini stuff. I originally wanted a turned box, but someone else already did that, so I put a bit of a different spin on it. A "box" which somewhat resembles a champagne bottle. Walnut with friction polish and the measurements are just barely within the guidelines. (There's a reason for that....Stay tuned for "Part 2" of this!:) )

In my hurry to get it posted back to back, I had one too many browser windows open and put "Part 2" on the other Itty Bitty thread! Doh!!! :eek: Part 2 is here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=252409#post252409

Keith Burns
12-04-2005, 4:56 PM
First I want to thank John for sponsering this contest. This is for sure fun ! Second I want to complement all of these great entries. I mean WOW they are great. After viewing them I almost didn't enter but what have I got to lose (except my pride:D ).

Both entries are mesquite with spray lacquer finish. The goblet is .88" tall x .45" dia. The hollow form is .95" tall x .71" dia. The goblet is signed but the hollow form didn't have enough space.

Rick Smith
12-04-2005, 5:14 PM
I posted my entry elsewhere the other day... jeez! Maybe I'll confer with you Old Salts (old is figurative) before doing this. :o Aw... no guts, no glory (as we used to say in the Marines, usually before drinking some made-up alcoholic concoction). Here is my entry(s). The huge one is oak with a bloodwood top - the slightly smaller goblet is Poplar (I don't have the wood resources, yet:( ). Both with Hutt (also all I have). I did manage to get a bead on the smaller one. Thanks!

John Hart
12-04-2005, 6:05 PM
I would like to announce that we have a Judging Panel!! Jim Becker, Mark Singer, and Dennis Peacock have volunteered to put their heads together and make a decision on whose is the Itty Bittiest. They are in the unique position of being able to confer on their judgements outside the normal forum so they can talk about us behind our backs. I trust that they will be fair and objective while bringing their experience to the table.

Thanks guys!!!

RL Johnson
12-04-2005, 6:08 PM
Well this is my entry. Santa made me do it. It is a piece of Walnut dowel with wax as the finish.
26949 26950 26951

John Miliunas
12-04-2005, 6:15 PM
I would like to announce that we have a Judging Panel!! Jim Becker, Mark Singer, and Dennis Peacock have volunteered to put their heads together and make a decision on whose is the Itty Bittiest. They are in the unique position of being able to confer on their judgements outside the normal forum so they can talk about us behind our backs. I trust that they will be fair and objective while bringing their experience to the table.

Thanks guys!!!

Yeah, and when they're done judging, then they can show us their examples!!!:D (Hey gang, all three of them have lathes, you know!!!):D :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
12-04-2005, 7:11 PM
Well, I said I would enter so here it is. If at all possible I will certainly ry again. You people have turned some amazing itty bitty stuff.

Anyway, this is spalted elm with worm holes filled with turquoise except for the one around the rim. It's 13/16 x 1 1/8. Hollowed with a bent and ground ice pick.

Ernie

Dave Bonde
12-04-2005, 7:18 PM
As others have said, my thanks goes to John for starting this neat contest and my compliments to the other entries – all very impressive. I have been making some ornaments for Christmas so I thought I would try a small birdhouse ornament. The roof is made of red oak burl and has a .523” diameter the house is curly paduak and the acorn and perch are both maple. The overall height of the ornament is .832” the finish is Tung oil. Thanks Dave

Carole Valentine
12-04-2005, 7:25 PM
A cherry martini glass with turned birch toothpick and olive. The toothpick and olive were turned separately...the olive has a tiny hole drilled for the pick. This was the fourth olive...the other 3 are in the shavings somewhere. I just could not hang onto them when I parted them off! The battery on my digital calipers gave out so the dime will have to do for scale.

Carole Valentine
12-04-2005, 7:28 PM
As others have said, my thanks goes to John for starting this neat contest and my compliments to the other entries – all very impressive. I have been making some ornaments for Christmas so I thought I would try a small birdhouse ornament. The roof is made of red oak burl and has a .523” diameter the house is curly paduak and the acorn and perch are both maple. The overall height of the ornament is .832” the finish is Tung oil. Thanks Dave
Now that's really cool Dave. What do you use for tools?

Carole Valentine
12-04-2005, 7:29 PM
Well, I said I would enter so here it is. If at all possible I will certainly ry again. You people have turned some amazing itty bitty stuff.

Anyway, this is spalted elm with worm holes filled with turquoise except for the one around the rim. It's 13/16 x 1 1/8. Hollowed with a bent and ground ice pick.

Ernie

Ernie, that is just adorable! How thick are the walls? I am going to have to try the icepick thing.

Carole Valentine
12-04-2005, 7:35 PM
OK, so I figured I may as well try something with this little contest. Nothing near the quality of entries, thus far, but accept my feeble attempt at this mini stuff.

Yeah, right, John! What's the next one going to be...a turned and carved vase a la J. Paul Fennel????:D

Rick Smith
12-04-2005, 7:41 PM
Ran out of patience and wood (not necessarily in that order...). Man, you guys can do some ausome things with a lathe! Can't wait to lear now to hollow form! Good luck to all of you!

Dave Bonde
12-04-2005, 7:52 PM
Now that's really cool Dave. What do you use for tools?

Thanks Carole your turning are REALLY nice also. I don't really have any special small tools, I used a regular skew (pen turners size) and a ¼” gouge. I hollowed the house with a drill bit and then finished the inside with a small wood chisel I used a needle to make a hole for the perch and to make a hole in the top (the needle is still in the top in the photo). I also used a die grinder with a sharp pointed bit to texture the top of the acorn. Dave

Dave Bonde
12-04-2005, 8:32 PM
A cherry martini glass with turned birch toothpick and olive. The toothpick and olive were turned separately...the olive has a tiny hole drilled for the pick. This was the fourth olive...the other 3 are in the shavings somewhere. I just could not hang onto them when I parted them off! The battery on my digital calipers gave out so the dime will have to do for scale.

I feel your pain Carole I think I turned about a dozen of those stupid perches - first they were falling in the shavings so I got smart and cleaned up the shavings then I super glued about 5 to my fingers:mad: after about an hour I got one on the birdhouse. Dave

John Hart
12-04-2005, 8:38 PM
I gotta tell ya...I am just in awe over the phenomenal work everyone is doing....Makes me feel like crawling back into my cage. But then...now that I think about it....I like it in my cage.:)

Great work!....the bar keeps getting raised....4 full days to go though!

Bill Stevener
12-04-2005, 8:55 PM
Another Entry,

c 1776 Colonial Candlestick
De Witt County Spalted Maple
Finish - Tung Oil
Thanks for taken a look. Bill.>>>:)

Keith Burns
12-04-2005, 9:18 PM
Bill, you're killing us here:D :D :D

Richard Stewart
12-04-2005, 9:19 PM
Yea, im only 15 almost 16 and my dad (Rich Stewart Sr.) got a new lathe and told me to try and enter so heres my project hope ya'll like it i tried REALLY hard on it i think it is Walnut Wood,its a box that kinda looks like a christmas tree? i guess for the holidays so enjoy, and I dont have the measurements, but its Valid! :cool: lol its next to my cell too for scale (its a small cell too) PLZ tell me wut u think!!:))http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/461/05summer0019wh.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=05summer0019wh.jpg)Here is 2, i made 1 from a peice of wood from my neighbors tree (shh) while they were cutting theyre tree down and its oak soo....take a look the one on the right is oak but too big for itty bitty so....here it is http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2070/05summer0030jx.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=05summer0030jx.jpg) and i also have a pic of them closed so u dont think the top doesnt fit cause it does lol so here it is http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/1892/05summer0053ni.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=05summer0053ni.jpg)
Im srry i cant get it to be a pic instead of a link, i dunno why but i cant do it

Gary DeWitt
12-04-2005, 9:23 PM
Well...I was gonna enter...

Bill, I want my spalted maple back, since it came from MY county. Just because you happened to shape it first doesn't mean it doesn't belong to me. I'll just post it here anyway, as my entry!:D

Bill Stevener
12-04-2005, 9:44 PM
Keith, the lady that can't see very well was beginning to shake me up. When it starts to get down to the olive, gust thought I would take another shot. Went to Wally World to get some candles, but they were fresh out of this size, other wise I would of had it lit for the photo ;) .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Carole Valentine
12-04-2005, 9:49 PM
Keith, the lady that can't see very well was beginning to shake me up. When it starts to get down to the olive, gust thought I would take another shot. Went to Wally World to get some candles, but they were fresh out of this size, other wise I would of had it lit for the photo ;) .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

ROFL! Well, I guess I am just going to have to think of something else!:D

John Hart
12-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Yea, im only 15 almost 16 and my dad (Rich Stewart Sr.) got a new lathe and told me to try and enter so heres my project hope ya'll like it i tried REALLY hard on it i think it is Maple Wood,its a box that kinda looks like a christmas tree? i guess for the holidays so enjoy, and I dont have the measurements, but its Valid! :cool: ....

Welcome aboard Richard!!!! Yup...looks like Dad is mighty proud of you. And your pieces look real good! But....In order to enter your piece, we must have dimensions. Just measure it up and edit your post....Otherwise, I fear the judges will pass you by! :eek:

Way to go!!!

John Miliunas
12-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Awright awready...That's IT!!! Can I just retract and go back to sitting in the corner sucking my thumb???:) I mean, I knew I was immediately outclassed by anyone here but, you folks are just over the edge!:D I'm going back "upstairs" and see what the flatwork folks are building. :) BUT, if I see 1-1/2 inch tall dresser there, I'm shutting down and going to bed!:D :cool:

Richard Stewart
12-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Yea, ill measure it tomorrow, its about 10:25 now and i g2g to school at 6:00AM 2morrow morning...but bot do i measure cause i see ppl with dimesions like .992 and stuff, i cant really do that but i can use a tape measure, is that ok?:p

John Hart
12-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Yea, ill measure it tomorrow, its about 10:25 now and i g2g to school at 6:00AM 2morrow morning...but bot do i measure cause i see ppl with dimesions like .992 and stuff, i cant really do that but i can use a tape measure, is that ok?:p

Yep...good 'nuf ...now get yer sleep!!! Come to think of it....I need MY sleep!!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-04-2005, 11:25 PM
WOW! What a plethra of OUTSTANDING works. After looking at them, I figured I'd need a Champange glass to toast the winner.

Here it is!

It is from Spaulted Osage Orange, Sanded to 4000, 1 coat of oil, and three coats of French Polish.

The cup Wall thickness is .043

Thanks for looking. John..................I hope that you have a GOOD VINTAGE IN THERE!

Bruce

PS: Decided to add a comparison to the other cup.

Richard Stewart
12-05-2005, 3:29 PM
Diameter-26MM.
Height-35MM.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/9744/woodwork0062rm.th.jpg (http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?image=woodwork0062rm.jpg)
Its kinda big but its valid for the contest, and i hope i do well, thx for the support guys plz tell me wut u think of it and wut u think of the measurements. :eek:

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2005, 7:43 PM
Please remember to post your pics as requested in the rules of this thread. It will make the overall judging go better in the end. Also, please remember to post the dimensions for each submission for the contest. We all want this to be FUN and Enjoyable for everyone. :D

Carole Valentine
12-05-2005, 8:42 PM
Please remember to post your pics as requested in the rules of this thread. It will make the overall judging go better in the end. Also, please remember to post the dimensions for each submission for the contest. We all want this to be FUN and Enjoyable for everyone. :D

Dennis,
I will try to remember to get a battery for my digital and repost. Forgot it today.:o

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2005, 8:51 PM
Dennis,
I will try to remember to get a battery for my digital and repost. Forgot it today.:o

Carole,

Not a problem at all. Just wanted to make sure that the proper pics are posted as judging will begin very soon. Lot's of very nice entries so far and I'm excited about how small some of these turnings are. Needless to say, I am surprised at what skill some hold in Itty-Bitty tools. :)

Forrest Price
12-05-2005, 8:53 PM
OK Folks, here's my entry. I had others planned, but seeing as how my shop burned down just 4 hrs after turning these, this is it.

Champagne glass & bottle. wood is Mexican Bocote, finish is carnuba wax. Work was done on VS Jet mini.
Digi calipers went up in the blaze, so here's best I can come up with:

Glass is 1/8" diameter at base by 1/4"oal. Sorry, can't measure how thin the rim is turned. Pretty dang thin though!

Bottle is 7/32" x 9/16"oal.

now, if I can just figure how to pop that darn cork off!

thanks for looking.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27036&stc=1&d=1133833609http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27037&stc=1&d=1133833609http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27038&stc=1&d=1133833609

Rich Stewart
12-05-2005, 8:55 PM
This is my itty bitty entry. This is a replica of a box I saw in Chris Stotts book of boxes. It is a chinese hat box.

Height-21mm.
diameter-18mm.
type of wood- Walnut
Finish-danish oil
buffed with probuff system

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1311/woodwork0207rm.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=woodwork0207rm.jpg)
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4321/woodwork0180se.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=woodwork0180se.jpg)

Richard Stewart
12-05-2005, 9:23 PM
hey that pic looks familiar, oh wait, thats my dads way to go dad its kinda small, how come u can see something that small but u can see the newpaper writing? jeez its amazing, thx for teaching me how to make stuff, i really appreciate it!!:D

John Miliunas
12-05-2005, 9:38 PM
hey that pic looks familiar, oh wait, thats my dads way to go dad its kinda small, how come u can see something that small but u can see the newpaper writing? jeez its amazing, thx for teaching me how to make stuff, i really appreciate it!!:D

Selective eyesight???? :confused: :D (Hey, the wife tells me I have selective hearing...:rolleyes: ):) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Every once in a while we all have a catch or two (or in my case five or six). I usually refer to these as an "unscheduled event". And then sometimes we're able to recover and complete the piece to our satisfaction; we call this a "save".

As we all know, earlier today Forrest had the "mother-of-all unscheduled events" and I believe that he absolutely deserves to win this contest for the outstanding save on his entry.

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2005, 10:11 PM
You people have been driving me bonkers with all this happy talk of how much fun it was to turn these itty bitty doo dads, so this afternoon I decided to finally find out for myself. You're all liars! it was the most nerve wracking 30 seconds of my life - and then I picked up the gouge:D

Okay - I actually have three entries and I guess each one should have it's own thread so you don't confuse me as you tear 'em apart with your evil eye. But first, the three of them decided to get together in true team spirit fashion for a group photo. In the "Green Room" after this shot it was all mano a mano. Boy these little guys can get downright ugly.

Bill Stevener
12-05-2005, 10:12 PM
My Entry for today.

"Ode To A Tree"

Hollow Form
De Witt County Spalted Maple & Ebony
Tung Oil Finish

Thanks For Looking.
Bill.

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2005, 10:16 PM
This is a cocbolo goblet
0.698 inches tall
0.370 inches wide
Sanded to 1500, BLO, and spray lacquer.

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2005, 10:20 PM
This is a padauk champagne (or Ripple) glass
0.780 inches tall
0.380 inches wide
Sanded to 1500, BLO, and spray lacquer.

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2005, 10:22 PM
This is a Schlamacawood Three Legged Monster
0.389 inches tall
0.470 inches wide
Flew to Mexico, chopped down tree, bribed customs (and immigrations officials), used froe to rive turning blank from 24" x 24" x 96" stock, bandsawed blank round with 24.6 degree bevel, rough turned, Alcohol dried, built special vacuum chuck, finish turned, hand sanded with rice paper to 44,000 grit, 23 coats of BLO with hand rubbing between each, applied 23 additional coats of liquid lacquer with a Q-tip. Fedexed project to Vancouver, BC for Radio Frequency drying/blending of all components and finishes.

John Hart
12-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Rock N Roll!!!!!

Keith Burns
12-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Got to say it one more time...you guys are killing me:D :D :D Great stuff:)

Shane Harris
12-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Well, I was finally able to get to the lathe after work today. Here's my official submission. It's Bloodwood and Ebony with tung oil for the finish. Thanks again John. I forgot how much fun turning this little stuff can be...:)

http://wood_creations.home.insightbb.com/thumbnails/tn_minihollowform.jpg
http://wood_creations.home.insightbb.com/thumbnails/tn_minihollowform3.jpgHeight- 0.986"
http://wood_creations.home.insightbb.com/thumbnails/tn_minihollowform4.jpgWidth- 0.685"
http://wood_creations.home.insightbb.com/pics/minihollowform.jpg
http://wood_creations.home.insightbb.com/pics/minihollowform3.jpg
http://wood_creations.home.insightbb.com/pics/minihollowform4.jpg

Forrest Price
12-06-2005, 1:01 AM
As we all know, earlier today Forrest had the "mother-of-all unscheduled events" and I believe that he absolutely deserves to win this contest for the outstanding save on his entry.

thanks for the thought Andy, but no stinkin way! I've been blown out of the water here. this was my very first attempt at tiny stuff. Had ideas for other entries, but that is not to be.

Good luck to everyone!:cool:

John Hart
12-06-2005, 7:29 AM
Everyone's work is so inspiring! I wonder if there's a market for this? ;) But.... I would like to remind everyone about the Rules.....especially rule #6

1. No longer than 1 1/2" in length
2. No larger than 3/4" in diameter.
3. Must be made from wood
4. Must be finished
5. No Photo editing
6. Three pics - One for show, One against a scale for length, and one against a scale for diameter.

We need 3 pics from everyone. As Dennis Peacock pointed out, when he, Jim, and Mark start judging, they will be looking at that. So, just take a minute and be sure that your entry fills that criteria so that everyone is on the same playing field. Thursday night is the deadline.

Totally cool.!!:) :)

Mark Singer
12-06-2005, 9:45 AM
Very nice work so far! I need a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers to judge this:rolleyes:

I would kind of like to move the actual submissions into a new Thread..."Itty Bitty Contest Entries Only" that way there are no unrelated posts in between and it is easier to compare one against another. What do you think?

Andy Hoyt
12-06-2005, 9:53 AM
Very nice work so far! I need a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers to judge this:rolleyes:

I would kind of like to move the actual submissions into a new Thread..."Itty Bitty Contest Entries Only" that way there are no unrelated posts in between and it is easier to compare one against another. What do you think?

Good idea Mark. But knowing that you Mod types can do this this with a flick of your photon torpedo rail gun, please don't do it until after the submission deadline. Based on John's earlier post I (for one) need to fix my pics.

Rich Stewart
12-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Sure am glad i ain't a judge. i think a new thread with entries only would definately make somebodys life easier.

Carole Valentine
12-06-2005, 3:09 PM
OK, here are the measurements. Barely made the size limit, but the olive and toothpick wouldn't let me go any smaller.:D The pick and olive are turned separately (two pieces). Finish on goblet (cherry) is Waterlox then buffed. Olive is colored with Prismacolor markers. Olive and pick are turned from birch.

Dave Bonde
12-06-2005, 9:31 PM
This is a lidded hollow form (maybe that makes it a jar?) made from cherry burl with a walnut finial on the lid. The overall height is .865” and it has a .527” diameter. The finish is tung oil. I made a hollowing tool out of an old screwdriver for this project that worked quite well. Dave

John Hart
12-06-2005, 9:34 PM
oooooh ahhhhh!!!!! Nice Dave!;)

Keith Burns
12-06-2005, 9:37 PM
OK, I know I don't stand a snowballs chance but here is my final entry. The piece is cherry with an ebony stand. I don't know what this form is called but it is one that I've wanted to try for awhile. One thing I can say is that it is hollow:) . Finish is spray lacquer.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2005, 9:41 PM
Keith.....I don't know anything about turning but............that sure fit's the definition of a "hollow form" in my untrained mind!:rolleyes: :D Nice job!

John Miliunas
12-06-2005, 9:45 PM
Keith.....I don't know anything about turning but............that sure fit's the definition of a "hollow form" in my untrained mind!:rolleyes: :D Nice job!

No doubt, Ken. I agree: That piece is definitely hollow!!!:D Pretty neat, Keith!:)

John Hart
12-06-2005, 9:46 PM
Why Keith! You've made a little...uh...a little Thing!!!! :D Actually, I think it's pretty cool! Time for a big one of those! It would look good on my desk!;)

Andy Hoyt
12-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Kieth I know what that is.

It's ah um errr well geee ART

Hope I haven't insulted you.

Bill Stevener
12-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Might be a napkin holder for the wee little lepricons Gerri's Grandmother use-to tell us stories about.
I was trying to guess what you might make, and lost :o .
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Carole Valentine
12-06-2005, 11:46 PM
This is a lidded hollow form (maybe that makes it a jar?) made from cherry burl with a walnut finial on the lid. The overall height is .865” and it has a .527” diameter. The finish is tung oil. I made a hollowing tool out of an old screwdriver for this project that worked quite well. Dave

I give up! I am waaaay outclassed in this competition! LOL:D I'll just sit back and enjoy lookin'.

Carole Valentine
12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Keith, don't let those fools insult you! They wouldn't know a mini napkin ring on a stand if it hit them in the face! :rolleyes:;)

Oops! Just read Bill's post...at least HE knows what it is! LOL

Vaughn McMillan
12-07-2005, 5:04 AM
You folks are absolute nuts. Great work, all of you, and great idea, John Hart. Virtually any of the entries could be mistaken for 10 times their size without something in the picture for scale. It's sick I tell you, sick. :D

- Vaughn

John Hart
12-07-2005, 7:21 AM
Keep in mind.....Bruce Shiverdecker started all this when he tried to dupe us..(and succeeded for the most part) with his little cup!!:) ;)

Travis Stinson
12-07-2005, 7:36 AM
OK, I'm in on this madness. And it IS madness!:eek:
Walnut burl pierced hollow form with Maple collar. Barely got the diameter at 3/4". I did manage to engrave signature and species on the bottom, but can't get any pics to show it:rolleyes: .

Michael Stafford
12-07-2005, 7:48 AM
I only have one thing to say to this, "UNCLE!!!!"

You guys are amazing. Not only are these things small, they are great looking pieces of work to boot. Excellent! Congratulations to you all!

Now where can I get some of those magnifying specs so I can see this stuff.:eek:

Keith Burns
12-07-2005, 8:08 AM
I hate to say it but I have to agree with Big Mike and Carole, I GIVE UP, CRY UNCLE, QUIT, NO MORE, I CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE !!!! :eek: After seeing the latest from Travis and Dave, well, you get the idea. I'm sure glad I don't have to judge this contest.

John Hart
12-07-2005, 8:12 AM
....I'm sure glad I don't have to judge this contest.

Me too Keith....Me too!! A humongous THANK YOU to our Itty Bitty judges!!!:) :)

Mark Singer
12-07-2005, 8:13 AM
I hate to say it but I have to agree with Big Mike and Carole, I GIVE UP, CRY UNCLE, QUIT, NO MORE, I CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE !!!! :eek: After seeing the latest from Travis and Dave, well, you get the idea. I'm sure glad I don't have to judge this contest.

Yeah me too! Sure glad I don't have to judge this contest:confused:

John Miliunas
12-07-2005, 9:24 AM
Yeah me too! Sure glad I don't have to judge this contest:confused:

Ahem, what was that you said there, Mark???:eek: :confused: You've already been duly appointed, plus I hear that Dennis and Jim are relying on your eye for design on this one! Not to put any pressure on you or anything like that, you know...:D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-07-2005, 9:29 AM
Watch your back Mark! ;) You know how some people get when they're under the influence(I think breathing would chips appears to be intoxicating);) ..........one minute they're all smiles.......the next minute they're at your throat! I don't envy your task! Have you had any threatening phone calls yet? :confused: :eek: :D These folks take their turning seriously!:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-07-2005, 10:08 AM
To John Hart................HEHE.

The the rest of the entries...........You folks have really gone one step beyond and come up with some very interesting, amazingly intricate, beautiful work. I applaud you all. You have given me ideas for further forays into the "itty bitty." For this, I thank you all!

If I have time today, I might try one more entry. (Don't hold your breath. Busy day today!)

Bruce

John Hart
12-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Alright Gang...We are approaching our last day of this here contest. The entries so far have been exemplary! I am so impressed with the detail and style....and especially the good humor and fun! The judges are preparing and will be making a couple of announcements. But there's still one day left so if you have a desire to get one more entry in before the deadline of 11:59 pm EST Thursday....well...it's up to you.:) :)

Mark Singer
12-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Alright Gang...We are approaching our last day of this here contest. The entries so far have been exemplary! I am so impressed with the detail and style....and especially the good humor and fun! The judges are preparing and will be making a couple of announcements. But there's still one day left so if you have a desire to get one more entry in before the deadline of 11:59 pm EST Thursday....well...it's up to you.:) :)

couple of announcements:rolleyes:

Mark Singer
12-07-2005, 11:08 PM
One very official rule that must be adhered to....no using Shlamaca wood for any submissions....that would be like unduly swaying and almost bribing one of the judges....I won't say who:confused: ...it is the one wood I personally insist you don't use....any Shlamaca entries will be omitted from the competion and a very heavy fine...about the weight of one of the Itty Bitty entries will be levied on the underhanded entrant!:rolleyes:

http://www.google.com/search?q=shlamaca+sawmill+creek&hl=en&lr=&filter=0

Annoucement 2

John Hart
12-08-2005, 9:53 AM
One very official rule that must be adhered to....no using Shlamaca wood for any submissions....that would be like unduly swaying and almost bribing one of the judges....I won't say who:confused: ...it is the one wood I personally insist you don't use....any Shlamaca entries will be omitted from the competion and a very heavy fine...about the weight of one of the Itty Bitty entries will be levied on the underhanded entrant!

I think that it is unfair that we can not use Shlamaca. This is my official protest. To deny us the opportunity, almost ensures that our supplies of Shlamaca will almost certainly end up as firewood if left unturned. This would be the real crime. I suggest that this "unnamed judge" try to be a bit more objective and realize that beauty can not be oppressed. It must be set free. end of rant:)

Karl Laustrup
12-08-2005, 4:51 PM
Schlamaca or not? That is the question? No that's not the question.

No the question is; Where is the new thread with all the entries? Or did I miss it somewhere? Tonight is the night, correct?

Are the judges duly apprised of the rules of the compitition? Have they taken the oath of duty to a higher cause? Are they ready to judge fairly and without bias toward any entry?

The people want to know. Enlighten us please, John.

Karl

John Hart
12-08-2005, 5:04 PM
Oh...Ok...Well, tonight is the final night for submitting your entry. I figure 11:59pm EST is the deadline. The judges will then transfer all the entries that have met the criteria over to a new thread. I would expect that they will deliberate from there. I don't really know how long the judging will take.

Ahem...Judges? Any enlightenment on this issue?

Bill Stevener
12-08-2005, 6:54 PM
New Entry - Part 1 of 2
Red Heart Colonial Candle Stand
Finish = Tung oil

Thanks for looking,

Keith Burns
12-08-2005, 6:58 PM
OK Bill, thats it !!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this piece should be disqualified because one of the legs appears not to be touching the ground, inferior work:eek: :D :p :rolleyes: . You are TOO GOOD:)

Dennis Daudelin
12-08-2005, 7:02 PM
Hi all,

I had to try my hand at making some mini's. They are a far cry from the normal 10" to 12" salad bowls that I turn but the initial entries looked like just too much fun!

So, here's my entries... I put them both into one photo and set a scale along side them to ensure that they met the size requirements. They are both out of walnut and are finished with 2 coats of tung oil finish. They will continue to get additonal coats until a shine is achieved.

The one on the left is 1 inch tall with 2 captive rings and the one on the right is 1 1/2 inch tall with 3 captive rings. I made the right one first and then challenged myself to make one smaller! The captive rings are real captive rings cut with a ground dentist tool. The rings were much easier than I expected.

I'm positive that I could make smaller ones now that I've had this experience so I did learn something about myself with this competiton. I would also select a wood with a tighter grain as walnut is very coarse.

The thumbnail picture is not too good (server software?) but if you click on it, you'll get a good view of them!

I'm open to any questions!! Good luck to all the competitors!!

Dennis

Bill Stevener
12-08-2005, 7:04 PM
New Entry - Part 2of 2
Red Heart Colonial Candle Stand w/ Candle Stick & candle
Candle Stick = Ebony, Candle = American Holy
Finish = Tung Oil

Note: The total entry may be a tad bit over size, however I can light the candle and fix that in a jiffy, if need be.

Thanks for looking,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
12-08-2005, 7:07 PM
The agony, the pain, the waiting, the danged entries from Bill Stevener.

Hey Midnight! Hurry up!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2005, 7:12 PM
BIll that table looks a little empty.......maybe light the candle and put Carole's martini glass w/olive next to it?:D

Ernie Nyvall
12-08-2005, 7:13 PM
New Entry - Part 1 of 2
Red Heart Colonial Candle Stand
Finish = Tung oil

Thanks for looking,

Okay, this is just ridiculous. I vote this is too itty bitty.:p I think you and several others have sharpened dental tools to do such things.

Whatever you all are using to turn these little stems and legs, it's very cool that you are getting them so tiny and in tact.:cool:

Wonderful work everyone!!!

Ernie

Mark Singer
12-08-2005, 7:18 PM
New Entry - Part 2of 2
Red Heart Colonial Candle Stand w/ Candle Stick & candle
Candle Stick = Ebony, Candle = American Holy
Finish = Tung Oil

Note: The total entry may be a tad bit over size, however I can light the candle and fix that in a jiffy, if need be.

Thanks for looking,

That is one giant pair of calipers:rolleyes:

Carole Valentine
12-08-2005, 7:34 PM
That is one gaint pair of calipers:rolleyes:

LOL I eyeballed those photos to see if those things had been "Photoshoped" onto a pic of the calipers!:D I have to admit they have not...they are real. Unbelievably real. And I think we should have two divisions...one for "Professionals" like Bill S. (Hey! Just noticed his initials are BS!:D) and one division for the rest of us poor "dental-toolless" souls.:rolleyes:

Karl Laustrup
12-08-2005, 7:36 PM
That is one gaint pair of calipers:rolleyes:

You may be on to something Mark. Giant calipers. Normal size pieces. ;)

Hmmmm!!!!

Fantastic work everyone.

Karl

Michael Stafford
12-08-2005, 7:38 PM
I know the judges are ill prepared to do the judging because, like me they long ago went to bifocals. But my main question, has anyone contacted the Guinness Book? Are we approaching any records for itty bitty? Gotta be getting close to the record.

One question, anyone got any ideas for how to mount a mustard seed?:eek: :D

There is so much wonderful work here. What a treat to see these items of miniature art!!!!:D :D :D

Mark Singer
12-08-2005, 7:46 PM
Size Matters....smaller is better! Now I just have to convince LOML:cool:

John Miliunas
12-08-2005, 7:58 PM
Size Matters....smaller is better! Now I just have to convince LOML:cool:

ROFLM.....:D :D :DSorry Mark, don't think she'll buy it!:D :cool:

Bill Stevener
12-08-2005, 8:22 PM
Mark, only you can light that candle :D .

Bill Stevener
12-08-2005, 8:24 PM
OK Bill, thats it !!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this piece should be disqualified because one of the legs appears not to be touching the ground, inferior work:eek: :D :p :rolleyes: . You are TOO GOOD:)

That's a structural deficiency in my shop floor. :D

John Hart
12-08-2005, 8:34 PM
I don't know if it crossed anyone else's mind.....but I sorta think Bill wants to win this thing? Just a thought :confused: :D

Carole Valentine
12-08-2005, 8:39 PM
I don't know if it crossed anyone else's mind.....but I sorta think Bill wants to win this thing? Just a thought :confused: :D
Whatever made you think that, John???:D

Ernie Nyvall
12-08-2005, 8:57 PM
It's a walnut NE bowl similar to one I've done before only smaller. You can see the scale of it at the 8" mark of the square, but I did a 1000x magnification so you can see the form and finish.:rolleyes: .....................
.........................................What?

Ernie

John Hart
12-08-2005, 9:04 PM
Wow Ernie...That looks identical to the one you did before!!!!! Wow wee!!! Too bad you don't have three pictures. Sorry...disqualified.:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-08-2005, 9:06 PM
Hey Carole...................I'm glad that my initials are B.E.S. (the "T" is silent):D :D

Bruce;)

John Hart
12-08-2005, 9:07 PM
I'm open to any questions!! Good luck to all the competitors!!

Dennis

Dennis... I think those pieces are just awesome! I cant get over the rings! I have no clue how to do that...big or small. Any chance you can post more pictures though? You know....rules and stuff. They are definitely worth getting in there!:)

Bill Stevener
12-08-2005, 9:09 PM
Well Gang, I must say this has been a real "GOOD THING. I for one really had fun. The entries from all are outstanding. Everyone should turn one once and a while, it truly teaches one some patience, however, some insanity :eek: .

I am so happy my entries passed Carole's Quality Assurance program. Believe me, I would have no idea, as how to manipulate a photo.

Some have asked about tools. The tools I use are 1/4" turning tools, skew, round nose, and 1/16" parting tool. Sand paper down to 1500g and a lot of prayers.

The lathe I use is one I purchased in 1976. It is direct drive, no belts, no gears and no VS. Only an on and off switch, when on it runs at 3450 rpm, you get a catch, well you just lost it. It's good for little turnings because it doesn't let the wood think about what it's doing :D .

Had a great time, with a great bunch, best of luck to all who entered.

Ernie Nyvall
12-08-2005, 9:18 PM
Wow Ernie...That looks identical to the one you did before!!!!! Wow wee!!! Too bad you don't have three pictures. Sorry...disqualified.:D

:eek: Darn, and I just ran out of film. Oh well, maybe next time.

Ernie

Dennis Daudelin
12-08-2005, 9:43 PM
Hi John,

Ah, yes the rules... 3 pictures required.

Please accept my first picture as the length picture.

Here are 2 additional pictures to qualify for the contest. One shows the diameter and the other is the "show" picture. The 3 pictures should now meet the requirements.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'd hate to miss out!!

Once again, it's best to click on them to see the real image and not the manipulated thumbnail...

Dennis

27220 27221

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2005, 9:46 PM
Folks...........I've never seen a bunch of people have more fun than you and yet most of you have never met face to face..........don't live next door to each other..........My hats off to all of you who entered the contest for you skills and your civility and you insanity!:)

John Hart
12-08-2005, 9:56 PM
...Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'd hate to miss out!!

Very Cool Dennis Thanks!!!

...Folks...........I've never seen a bunch of people have more fun than you and yet most of you have never met face to face..........don't live next door to each other..........My hats off to all of you who entered the contest for you skills and your civility and you insanity!:)

Thanks Ken....Coming from you, that means a lot. I have to respect a man who knows how to sit on top of a mountain and think about the universe.;)

Me too by the way....I am truly inspired by everyone's work and the fun that we've had in this "Little" adventure!! The Judges are going to be expanding the possible prizes and Keith Outten has graciously offered to Laser the Plaques for those. This just got funner!!!!:) :)

Travis Stinson
12-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Insanity is right Ken!:eek:
After the 3rd split collar went flying across the shop and all the satisfaction I could get out of the effort to fling it was a barely audible "tink!"......................I had to keep reminding myself "This is fun! This is fun! This IS fun!!!!"

Keith Burns
12-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Folks...........I've never seen a bunch of people have more fun than you and yet most of you have never met face to face..........don't live next door to each other..........My hats off to all of you who entered the contest for you skills and your civility and you insanity!:)

My sentiments exactly ! Well said.

Ernie Nyvall
12-08-2005, 10:24 PM

Hey, who you callin civil?:mad:

Ernie

Carole Valentine
12-08-2005, 10:27 PM
You know it's a fun group when even non-turners hang out here!:D When you gonna get one of those spinny things, Ken? You KNOW you want one!

Dennis Peacock
12-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Time is drawing near for Itty-Bitty entries......come on folks....let's post those teeny-tiny turnings.........

Even though I can't really see them.:rolleyes: :p :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Carole,

My wife has started referring to my new unfinished shop as "The Money Pit".I have a bit more to do before it's finished and ready for use. My shop bank account just dried up with the installation of my new gas furnace but at least it's warm enough to dry the wall board compound that I'm spreading (I know, Frank, I should have listened to you!). I have a new useable t/s ....I want a bandsaw....I want to replace the miniature planer I have.....I want a good dust collector.....and I have to build cabinets, a router table.......................eventually.......I'll probably get a lathe too so I can legally get high too!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Dennis Peacock
12-08-2005, 10:49 PM
....I'll probably get a lathe too so I can legally get high too!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If/when you get a lathe Ken.....you'll be hooked just like all the rest of us. BUT....I still enjoy a mix of "flat" and "round" work.:D

Carole Valentine
12-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Carole,

My wife has started referring to my new unfinished shop as "The Money Pit".I have a bit more to do before it's finished and ready for use. My shop bank account just dried up with the installation of my new gas furnace but at least it's warm enough to dry the wall board compound that I'm spreading (I know, Frank, I should have listened to you!). I have a new useable t/s ....I want a bandsaw....I want to replace the miniature planer I have.....I want a good dust collector.....and I have to build cabinets, a router table.......................eventually.......I'll probably get a lathe too so I can legally get high too!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

All you need is a lathe, a bandsaw and a couple of Ugly Sticks from John!:rolleyes: You could sell the TS, planer and router, get the lathe and bandsaw and never look back! And how are you gonna get high if you go installing all that air cleaner/dust collection stuff? :D Think of all the money you're probably spending at the lumber yard doing that ol' flatwork! Turning wood can be had for free and the fun is definitely free!:D

Andy Hoyt
12-08-2005, 11:03 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If/when you get a lathe Ken.....you'll be hooked just like all the rest of us. BUT....I still enjoy a mix of "flat" and "round" work.:D

Dennis - He's already hooked, and he knows it. He's just going through that pre-purchase awkward phase called denial.

Ken - Do you see that sign over there?

It reads, "Caution - slippery slope ahead."

Travis Stinson
12-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Carole,

Save yourself the guilt of seeing a new, shiny planer and nice router table reduced to expensive blank storage tables:( ............................................
Get the lathe 1st!;):D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2005, 11:26 PM
You people just want more entrants to the "funny farm"!
:eek: :D

Loy Hawes
12-08-2005, 11:28 PM
The more the merrier Ken!

Woo He Ha Ha they're coming to take us away!

Mark Singer
12-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Lets go my eyes are starting to tear....I am crying from squinting at tiny things......:o

John Miliunas
12-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Hey guys, Ken F. is "upstairs" calling us a bunch of "LUNATICS"!!! :eek: Humphhhh.... I, for one, resemble that remark!!!:D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2005, 11:41 PM
I apologize John......I should have said those emotionally challenged turners are trying to get more entrants to the Funny Farm!:eek: :p :D

Mark Singer
12-08-2005, 11:44 PM
I am starting the count down....all together ...(its like New Years Eve)......wait I have to go to the bathroom....ok ok ok where were we?

Carole Valentine
12-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Save yourself the guilt of seeing a new, shiny planer and nice router table reduced to expensive blank storage tables:( ............................................
Get the lathe 1st!;):D
Amen to that!!!! I am going to have to start doing segmented work just to keep the rust off my tablesaw, jointer and planer! I don't even know where my router is.

Andy Hoyt
12-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Amen to that!!!! I am going to have to start doing segmented work just to keep the rust off my tablesaw, jointer and planer! I don't even know where my router is.

Carole - Whatever you do, don't post any pictures of them. That way they don't exist.:eek:

John Hart
12-08-2005, 11:55 PM
10 minutes.....and counting

Andy Hoyt
12-08-2005, 11:56 PM
John - My clock agrees with your clock. But what are we gonna do about the SMC clock. It's five minutes fast.

John Hart
12-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Yeah...the SMC clock has always been off a little. We'll just have to keep the right time. 'sides...I dont think there'll be anymore new entries.

5 Minutes!

Dennis Peacock
12-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Tick-Tock Tick-Tock.......:eek: :D

Bill Stevener
12-09-2005, 12:04 AM
What about em west coast guys, like Ken. :confused:

John Hart
12-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Nope....That's it....Time's up We are closed. 11:59pm EST

Bill Stevener
12-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Sorry Ken, I tried.:D

John Hart
12-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Now this is turned over to the judges...."Order in the courtroom...here comes da judge!"

Andy Hoyt
12-09-2005, 12:12 AM
No more contest! Sheesh, I'm bored already

John Hart
12-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Yup...I'm hittin' the sack. Too much excitement for me. Thanks everyone for all your participation!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-09-2005, 12:26 AM
This thing has grown way beyond what I and probably many of you thought it would. It has to be one of the all time most read threads.

Again Thanks to all......... John Hart for thinking it was worth doing, to the judges, who, I believe have a Very difficult job ahead of them,those who entered, those who took the time to look at our efforts, and Kieth, Jackie and all the others that help keep this Great Site a pleasure to visit and converse.

With ALL the sincerity I can muster.

Bruce

John Miliunas
12-09-2005, 8:02 AM
Yeah...What Bruce said!!! And, very well, I might add!:) :cool:

Keith Burns
12-09-2005, 8:17 AM
Well this for sure has been GREAT FUN !!!

Hey John......whats the next contest ??????

John Hart
12-09-2005, 8:21 AM
Hey John......whats the next contest ??????

Funny you should ask!!! Chris Barton and I were just talking about that. Not ready to reveal just yet.....But it is a very cool subject indeed!!!!

Keith Burns
12-09-2005, 8:53 AM
John, I for one can't wait. :)

Tyler Howell
12-09-2005, 9:07 AM
What a geat event. Thanks for the enjoyable reading and theexcitement of a compitition.Well done.
TJH

Dennis Peacock
12-09-2005, 9:45 AM
Ok everyone.....As we work out some minor judging details, please be patient with us while we get all the info put together and all us some time for gathering the stats for each entry. Mark Singer, John Miliunas, John Hart, Jim Becker, and I are remaining in close contact for getting the Itty-Bitty judging under way.

GREAT CONTEST..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Thanks to every single person that made the Itty-Bitty what it has become!!!!!:D

Don Baer
12-09-2005, 4:27 PM
Great contest and to my eye there all winners but what do I know. I think I'd have to get one of these in order for me to make one of those.

Mark Singer
12-09-2005, 4:43 PM
Great contest and to my eye there all winners but what do I know. I think I'd have to get one of these in order for me to make one of those.

Don
Cal Tech is letting me use their electron microscope....they are shipping it here with instructions... :rolleyes:

Ernie Nyvall
12-09-2005, 6:09 PM
This thing has grown way beyond what I and probably many of you thought it would. It has to be one of the all time most read threads.

Again Thanks to all......... John Hart for thinking it was worth doing, to the judges, who, I believe have a Very difficult job ahead of them,those who entered, those who took the time to look at our efforts, and Kieth, Jackie and all the others that help keep this Great Site a pleasure to visit and converse.

With ALL the sincerity I can muster.

Bruce

Dittos

Thanks John... a great idea.

Ernie

John Hart
12-10-2005, 3:43 PM
The Winner of the Itty Bitty Contest will be announced shortly in a separate thread.

Thank you for your attention.:)

Mark Singer
12-10-2005, 4:45 PM
The Winner of the Itty Bitty Contest will be announced shortly in a separate thread.

Thank you for your attention.:)

I worked very hard on this....didn't sleep most of the night ...kept looking at the entries pacing the floor ...I almost started smoking...drinking ...and thought of drugs...but I wanted to remain sober to make the correct decision...so I am a nervous wreck today and have a party to go to....there are rings under my eyes ...from staring at small objects...so now we are coming down to the final moments and I am very nervous...anxious...hyperventilating...and generally disoriented...I feel like my body was actually being turned on a lathe and sharp chisels were cutting into my flesh...

Perhaps I took this too seriously?:eek:

John Miliunas
12-10-2005, 5:09 PM
I worked very hard on this....didn't sleep most of the night ...kept looking at the entries pacing the floor ...I almost started smoking...drinking ...and thought of drugs...but I wanted to remain sober to make the correct decision...so I am a nervous wreck today and have a party to go to....there are rings under my eyes ...from staring at small objects...so now we are coming down to the final moments and I am very nervous...anxious...hyperventilating...and generally disoriented...I feel like my body was actually being turned on a lathe and sharp chisels were cutting into my flesh...

Perhaps I took this too seriously?:eek:

Oh, fer cryin' out loud! What, am I gonna' have to send you some more cheese to go with your whine or what???:rolleyes: I conferred with Dr. Hart and we agreed that two Martini's and chase that down with some beer at the party and you'll be just fine!:D :cool:

Mark Singer
12-10-2005, 5:21 PM
John,
You are ruining it....I am trying to get a small turning for my collection.....this was hard work...."tiny things are hard" contrary to popular belief:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
12-10-2005, 6:06 PM
You are ruining it....I am trying to get a small turning for my collection.....this was hard work...."tiny things are hard" contrary to popular belief

On a serious note, there is a real market for miniatures. One of our local AAW club members, Joe Seltzer, seeks them with a vengence...it's a great way to collect work from well-known turners affordably as well as discover a lot of very unique art. (Miniatures sell well on E-BAY, too)

It's also a wonderful way to verify that your reading glasses are up to date!

John Miliunas
12-10-2005, 6:48 PM
On a serious note, there is a real market for miniatures.

Hey Jim, tell me again why I bought a lathe to turn 24"?????:confused: :D :cool:

Mark Singer
12-10-2005, 7:12 PM
Hey Jim, tell me again why I bought a lathe to turn 24"?????:confused: :D :cool:
Glad you asked.....cause you gotta have everything

John Miliunas
12-10-2005, 7:22 PM
Glad you asked.....cause you gotta have everything

And, this coming from a guy waiting on a new high-end P/J and who knows what else!!! (A slider, I have a hunch!:D )

Well, actually...It's mainly because I got a steal of a deal on a used one last year! :D Besides, I don't have everything! Heck, I don't even have an itty bitty lathe! :( ....or a shaper, or a horizontal belt sander or a.....etc., etc., etc.....:( BUT, I do enjoy what I do have!:D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Was feeling a twinge of nostaligia earlier tonight, so I brought this thread up and had a gas going through it again. Some of you newer folks who may have never come across it should get a hoot out out it. This was exactly one year ago. So.... Ba da Bump!

Travis Stinson
12-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey! Where's my prize!!!!!????:(

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Folks.............I've been going through an extremely stressful week at work. Tonight I saw Andy had rebirthed this thread. I started at the beginning....read through the whole thing. Took about 20 minutes. Still have tears running down my cheeks. Definitely....this was one fantastic contest........with lots of humor!

John Hart
12-08-2006, 5:42 AM
Hey! Where's my prize!!!!!????:(

:o :o :o :o On Sunday, I was moving the last of the stuff out of the old house....mostly woodshop stuff...and came across the Itty Bitty Contest winners plaques. I said, "awwww man!!! It's been a year, you lazy good for nuthin' pile of dog vomit!!!!!!":mad: Bill Stevener's plaque was broken in shipping, if you recall, but yours and Keith's still look pretty nice. So I set them on the table saw so I would get them done asap. I just hope nothing gets in the way. Just gotta git'r done.

John Miliunas
12-08-2006, 8:13 AM
Was feeling a twinge of nostaligia earlier tonight, so I brought this thread up and had a gas going through it again. Some of you newer folks who may have never come across it should get a hoot out out it. This was exactly one year ago. So.... Ba da Bump!

Who was it that always sang, "...Thanks for the memories..."??? :confused: Was that Bing or Bob or neither? I seem to recall a black & white TV! :rolleyes: :) But anyhow, thanks Drew! Yeah, good time had by all! :) :cool:

Keith Burns
12-08-2006, 8:16 AM
Yup, I still have a blank space on my wall for my plaque. Just been wonderin' what it would look like.:D :D

John Hart
12-09-2006, 8:10 PM
Just so you know...I did not sluff it off today. I got the plaques made and the finish completed. The glass and etching was provided by Keith Outten and they are mounted to 4/4 Bubinga 8"X6"....Finished in shellac and French Polished. I seem to have misplaced the mounting hardware:eek: ....but don't worry!!! I'll get replacements tomorrow and get these things shipped on Monday.;) I promise. :o

The third pic shows the color of the wood a little better. It's hard to take pictures of glass!

John Miliunas
12-09-2006, 8:16 PM
HEY!!! That's flatwork!!! :eek: (Nice job, John!) :) :cool:

Travis Stinson
12-09-2006, 8:19 PM
Hey Hey! There it is. ;) Looks great John, I've got a spot picked out already. :D

Karl Laustrup
12-10-2006, 8:36 AM
Travis & Keith:

You may want to save the pictures John has provided in this thread of your awards. Print them out on good quality photo paper. Cut very carefully along the edges. Now frame, or mount them to boards of your choice. Wa La. You have your awards. ;) ;) :D :D

Just kidding with ya John. Those plaques do look nice and Keith did some nice engraving. :)

Karl

Joash Boyton
12-10-2006, 9:26 AM
Hey, could we do another competition like this? A different theme?.....we don't have to have prizes, I always love entering woodturning competitions:)

Joash

Andy Hoyt
12-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Joash - we're conducting a contest right now. We've modified it so you can now enter it with a new piece that isn't destined for a gallery. Look at the top of the front page.

Joash Boyton
12-10-2006, 11:32 PM
ummm.....you mean top of the front page? which page:confused:

Joash:)

Mark Cothren
12-10-2006, 11:37 PM

Ummm... like the top of the page you're on right now...:cool:

Keith Burns
12-11-2006, 8:04 AM
Ummm... like the top of the page you're on right now...:cool:

Are you sure ?

John Miliunas
12-11-2006, 8:35 AM

Joash:)

Joash (and the rest of you guys!), it's right here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44760

Come on all....It's for a worthy benefit and fun, to boot! Let's get some more participation going on this, OK? :) :cool:

Travis Stinson
12-19-2006, 7:44 PM
It was worth the wait John. Thanks!:D

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/1234/IttyBittyPlaque1a.jpg

John Miliunas
12-19-2006, 8:18 PM
Wow! I guess! Very classy indeed, Travis. Then again, so is your work so, quite appropriate me thinks! :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2006, 8:58 PM
Congrats Travis!

John you remember his Batman entry don't you?.....

Look at the bottom of the plaque....."Holey Hollowform with collar Batman!"

John Miliunas
12-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Congrats Travis!

John you remember his Batman entry don't you?.....

Look at the bottom of the plaque....."Holey Hollowform with collar Batman!"

LOL!!! Yeah, that's pretty good! :D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-19-2006, 10:31 PM
My eyesight just aint what it used to be. Had to save the pic to my pc, rub my eyes a bit, and lo and behold....

Barry Stratton
12-20-2006, 1:04 AM
Fine plaque, fine engraving, fine turnings!!!!!

And thanks to Andy for posting another pic.....all I can see is the dreaded red X in other posts! Well deserved Travis.

Dennis Peacock
12-20-2006, 7:05 PM
All these fancy plaques!!!! Congrats to ALL of you. :D

Curt Fuller
03-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Good to know you're still kickin' Bill. Got any pics of what you've been up to lately?

Bill Stevener
05-03-2007, 5:18 PM
All these fancy plaques!!!! Congrats to ALL of you. :D

2005 - 2006 - 2007

Thanks Travis, Curt. Some folks wonder why.

Bill Stevener
05-03-2007, 8:23 PM
Well, if nothing else, the thread has received over 10,000 views.

Dennis Peacock
05-03-2007, 9:18 PM
Welcome back Bill. The master of Itty-Bitty Turning.