PDA

View Full Version : Carving Hatchet

Eli Akin
12-09-2018, 2:13 PM
Hey, My grandfather recently passed away and I found these 2 hatchets in his barn. The light handle has TruTemper TFH stamped into it. The dark handle one doesn't have anything other than an "8" stamped into it. Does anybody know anything about them or how old they are? They are special to me regardless and I have been wanting to get into spoon and bowl carving and I thought about fixing them up to use. Would one of these be better than the other? The dark handle one is shorter which might be good. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!
Eli

Perry Babineaux
12-12-2018, 6:38 PM
Interesting...never really thought of carving with a hatchet. Good luck on your info search though!

John Goodrich
12-13-2018, 1:36 PM
The one on the right looks like a roofers hatchet. If I were going to clean one up and get it sharpened to use for carving I would go with the one on the left, just by looks. You will want something fairly light and easy to control since you will likely be using it close to your hand and want to be able to control your strikes to allow accurate hits and how much wood you take off. Remember, as with all carving tools sharpness is important. Good luck with the new hobby and think of your grandfather while doing it.

Steve Mathews
12-14-2018, 7:13 PM
I think any small axe or hatchet can be used for carving with the proper edge. Nothing more frustrating than a dull tool. However the lighter and smaller hatchet will provide more control and won't tire you out as fast. Give them both a try after they are properly sharpened and enjoy

David Helm
12-18-2018, 6:50 PM
Carving hatchets are typically single bevel and fairly light. This one is left handed.399113399114

Steve Mathews
12-18-2018, 9:32 PM
Carving hatchets are not always single bevel. The Hans Karlsson carving axe that I recently received has a double bevel.

Al Launier
12-28-2018, 8:26 PM
"typically"

Steve Mathews
12-29-2018, 10:13 AM
"typically"

Based on my very limited experience and reading "sometimes" seems more appropriate.

David Helm
01-01-2019, 5:20 PM
Based on my very limited experience and reading "sometimes" seems more appropriate.

Based on my wider experience I'll stick with typically.

Steve Mathews
01-01-2019, 6:26 PM
Based on my wider experience I'll stick with typically.

What type of carving are you finding a single bevel axe preferable to a double bevel? The OP mentioned using an axe for "spoon and bowl carving".