PDA

View Full Version : Sandeply...ever used it?

Don Morris
12-01-2005, 4:49 AM
LOML is looking for me to build some quality built-in shelving for our recent home renovation. I had one piece of left over 3/4" Maple ply that I put an Oak banding on (just to use it up) for a shoe shelf, and when she saw it she said that's what she wanted. So I priced some Maple ply and similar plywoods which locally was around $70.00-100.00 for quality stuff or $40.00 for less quality stuff at the big box store, if you can find it (which I couldn't and LOML probably wouldn't accept). When I told LOML the cost of the quality plywood she gasped and retracked her request. However, when we both were looking at options we found some "nice looking" Sandeply at the big box store which LOML thought looked OK. No one I know has worked with it. I've looked it up and read about it, but would appreciate some input from anyone out there who might have some experience with it: staining, durability, etc. Thanks for any input.

Don M

Bill Lewis
12-01-2005, 6:55 AM
Don, I am not familiar with it but I would like to see what you are talking about. Specifically, which store is carrying it? I'm local to you in Gaithersburg.

Jim Becker
12-01-2005, 7:12 AM
Sandeply is pretty much "clear" softwood plywood sold by the 'borg. It has a smooth surface and is usually used as a paint-grade product.

Bill Simmeth
12-01-2005, 8:40 AM
I haven't used it myself but saw it recently at the new local Borg. There were a couple of threads recently about Sandeply over at Woodnet. You might want to search the archives over there. Opinions were fairly evenly split good/bad with the good votes saying it was appropriate for shop cabinets, etc. not for "better" projects. The bad votes pointed to stability issues and most objected to its luan-like properties; that is, it tends to splinter badly when cut and raise fibers when sanded (fuzz-up).

Based on this feedback, for shop cabs I have decided to stick with the birch ply from the local lumberyard which is only a few bucks a sheet more.

Chris Barton
12-01-2005, 8:48 AM
I have used sandeply as drawer sides and dust frame components. It is a good plywood choice for structural parts but, I would not select it for exterior parts of a project. Most of the Borgs have Birch or Oak ply for under $50 a sheet... A better product for that kind of application.

Jarrod Nelson
12-01-2005, 8:56 AM
Ok, I'm going to have to break down and just ask, because I can't figure it out.

What is LOML? I'm assuming "wife", but I'm not sure of the acronym.

Also "Borg"?

Thanks!

John Miliunas
12-01-2005, 9:23 AM
Ok, I'm going to have to break down and just ask, because I can't figure it out.

What is LOML? I'm assuming "wife", but I'm not sure of the acronym.

Also "Borg"?

Thanks!

LOML (or LOYL)= Love Of My Life or Love Of Your Life.

Borg=Big Box store; Lowes, HD, Menards, similar.:) :cool:

Kent Cori
12-01-2005, 9:40 AM
I've used sandply too and like it for certain uses. It is fine for the backs of shop cabinets and drawers and any hidden parts of projects. If you were going to paint it, it would be fine for the entire cabinet. I've used it for zero clearance inserts too. However, I would not use it for a project for which I cared about the appearance.

Matt Meiser
12-01-2005, 9:51 AM
In your circumstance, I would consider using birch ply. It doesn't match maple exactly, but if you are going to be using oak for the solid parts, it will simulate the look of maple close enough.

Brett Baldwin
12-01-2005, 9:57 AM
Jarrod, you're not alone.
SWMBO had me stumped so I ended up Googling it. She Who Must Be Obeyed in case you were wondering.
And I believe Borg started as a contraction of Big Orange which originally meant Home Depot but now more generally means the large home improvement stores.
/rant on/
Forums like these are a great resource but I am truly afraid of the consequences for the current and future generations that are growing up using these types of outlets for communicating. I see the proper use of English falling further and further by the year. The effect it does/will have on face-to-face social interaction is another major concern.
/rant off/

My apologies for the thread hijack.

JayStPeter
12-01-2005, 10:00 AM
I've used sandeply for shop cabinets. It's reasonable for that application. For non-shop applications, I would use it for a painted project, not a stained or clear finish project. I found it much nicer to work with than Luan.

Jay

Lee DeRaud
12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
/rant on/
Forums like these are a great resource but I am truly afraid of the consequences for the current and future generations that are growing up using these types of outlets for communicating. I see the proper use of English falling further and further by the year. The effect it does/will have on face-to-face social interaction is another major concern.
/rant off/I've said it before, I'll say it again: this forum really needs a FAQ.

Jamie Buxton
12-01-2005, 11:56 AM
I use 3/4" sandeply a fair amount. Varnished, the surface is non-descript -- for instance, maple is prettier. I'd be cautious about using it for shelving. The stuff has lots of plies, so you'd think it would be very stable. However, it takes a set, kinda like MDF. That is, if you put it under load it will adopt a curve which does not go away if you remove the load. If you use it for shelving, use it for a shorter span than you would other plywood, or provide stiffening underneath.

Bartee Lamar
12-01-2005, 1:11 PM
I use SandePly for all my shop cabinets. It looks ok with a finish but nothing you would want as "furniture".

I like it because it is 7 ply instead of 5. For shop stuff it is very stable and takes pocket holes screws very well.

Travis Porter
12-02-2005, 9:37 PM
I have been wondering about that one for weeks.

Brian Hale
12-02-2005, 10:40 PM
I also use it for shop stuff; cabinets, jigs and fixtures, but i've found it's thickness can vary considerably. YMMV

Brian :)

Earl Kelly
12-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Don, when you go look for hardwoods and furniture or cabinet grade ply, first check with any cabinet supply houses or hardwood distributors. Some will sell to walk in customers with small orders. Don't call, unless they're a good distance, walk in ready to buy. You never know, they may sell direct to you at a good price.

Down here I can get a good grade of Maple 3/4 ply for less than $50 a sheet and prefinished for about $70.

Be very careful with the cheaper imported plywood. I stopped buying it, even though it was cheaper by about $10 sht. Had a full uncut sheet in the rack, by the time I went to use it, there was a 6" bow in the length. Used it for short pieces only.

Ed Blough
12-03-2005, 1:09 AM
Don
Earl Kelly gave you excellent advice. Most cabinet supply warehouses will sell to walk ins that act like they know something. Go in ready to buy and tell them what you need. When they ask about account say your paying cash and I never seen one that wouldn't take it.
I buy all the time from them.

Most are ready to work with you. However if you look like the kind of guy that will want to sort through the pile, complain about everything and try to always return something. They are pretty good judges of character and may tell you they only sell to businesses.

As to sandply. I use it for cabinet carcasses that will be painted inside. I never had a problem with splitting or bowing or delaminating or varing thichnesses. However once I put the cabinet together I paint the sandply on both sides real good. There is no grain so I don't think you would want to use it finished clear and seen.

Again Earl's advice was excellent.