PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody tried this for shop layout?

Dave Anderson
02-19-2003, 12:09 PM
I am slowly recovering my shop space from our house remodel that turned my sacred place into what I call the "remodel warehouse." I can actually get to the front of my table saw but can't get closer than 4ft to the back of it.
Those of you who followed this saga over at the Pond know that I haven't been able to do any "legitimate" woodworking for over a year and yes, I'm going stir-crazy.:(

As I reclaim MY space, I'm doing a little shop remodeling of my own by rearranging the layout of the shop in general and specific placement of some of my machines.

I'm thinking about placing my jointer to the right of my table saw extension wing such that the infeed bed of the jointer would be on the outfeed side of the TS.

If anybody else has this setup or tried it but didn't like it - I'd like to hear from you. Likes and dislikes, plusses, minuses, tips, etc.

Thanks,

Dave Arbuckle
02-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Mine is just opposite of that, Dave. It sits on the left side partially under the wing of the saw.

I like it there, it seems a pretty efficient use of space. I did walk into it a couple times when I first moved it there, the bed hanging out is rather hard to see. A jointer bed is at an uncomfortable height to walk in to...

Dave

Lee Schierer
02-19-2003, 12:27 PM
I don't have a great deal of room in my shop and the TS with out feed table occupies most of the space. I prefer to have my jointer 90 degrees to the right as you face my table saw. After I rip a board, I can turn to the right and joint the edge with just a few steps. Your arangement would seem to require a lot of steps.

Lee

Dennis McDonaugh
02-19-2003, 1:25 PM
Dave, I have mine like that and you do have to walk around the saw all the time. After ripping the wood I have to walk around the saw to joint it. After jointing, I have to walk back around the saw to rip the opposite edge. I had it on the left side of the saw, (as you look at it) but the jointer fence stuck above the top of the table saw and I had to move the jointer every time I ripped something wider than the left edge of the saw. I don't have any other place in the shop that gives me 8' in front of and behind the jointer so it has to be on one side of the saw or the other. I'd rather walk around the table saw than move the jointer (even if it is on a mobile base).

Randy Schaefer
02-19-2003, 1:35 PM
I to have my jointer on the left side of my saw. Had to remove the fence adjustment lever 'cause it stuck up too high. Of all the places I have had my jointer this is working the best.

I also made a T shaped support to sit on my jointer bed to help with stock support when needed on the table saw.

Randy

Phil Phelps
02-19-2003, 1:42 PM
Mine is on an oval, sort of. TS and jointer running the same direction. On the end of the TS extension wing, is my planer. And, not too far from that is a RAS. I can cut a board to length and plane it. At the end of the planer is the jointer. Square an edge and, rip it on the TS, that is to the left. Saves steps for me. :)

Ted Shrader
02-19-2003, 1:50 PM
I keep the jointer to the left of the saw on the infeed side. I can walk between the jointer and the left end of the saw to get behind the saw to collect things form the outfeed. As I walk back, I can feed drectly into the jointer. Turn around and rip the next piece off.

Ted

Bart Leetch
02-19-2003, 3:33 PM
I have my jointer just to the right of the table saw. So if I turn & face right I take about 4 steps & am facing the working side of the jointer. My Dad did custom cabinet work & had his set up this way & it is very convenient.

J.R. Rutter
02-19-2003, 11:44 PM
I generally joint, rip, then plane. I have the jointer in my shop to the left of the saw with an aisle between them. The outfeed of the jointer puts parts right where they need to be for ripping. After ripping, I run them through the planer (I try not to plane wider planks than I have to, to prolong blade life.), which is around on the outfeed side of the TS.

How you lay it out depends on how you prefer to handle your stock prep, which is in turn determined by the type of work you do...

-JR

Greg Wandless
02-20-2003, 9:29 AM
Dave,

I have on my jointer the left side of my TS and pushed toward the back along my outfeed table. This way I get use the TS outfeed table to hold stock while I use the jointer. I also have limited space and this arrangment seems to work pretty well. Good luck on the remodel.

Greg

Kyri
02-20-2003, 2:11 PM
Currently my jointer is about five feet away from my table saw. I'm not so happy about the distace but I had to have a place to put the panelsaw. In my last shop I used to have my jointer behind and to the side of the table saw. It worked out fine as long as the jointer wasn't too tall. Your plan should be fine and if you don't like it you can always move things around. A shop is always evolving as your skill and preferances change with time.

Hovey