PDA

View Full Version : Jorgenson vs. Bessey

Gary Curtis
12-01-2005, 1:36 AM
I need to make a purchase decision soon. Both companies have sales currently.

Which do people prefer? I'm referring to the K-Clamps and Cabinet models.

Gary Curtis;)

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-01-2005, 1:58 AM
I don't like the Besseys...too finnicky to move the head. I have some Gross-Stabil that are a little better, but I have problems with those as well. I much prefer the CabinetMasters.

KC

Dev Emch
12-01-2005, 2:32 AM
The Bessey clamps are supposed to be the cat's meow and Norm is never far from one. So I bought about 5 or 6 of them. Gave them a test ride. No Thanks. They are very lightweight, have lots of plastic and the cam lock often digs into the soft metal bar.

The most populus clamp in my shop are good old fashioned Jorge' I beams. I also have some Jorge' or Jorgenson pipe clamps where are also good. But I really do like the good old Jorgenson I beam clamps.

Another lessor known but high quality clamp company is the Wetzler clamp in Bethel, PA. Try www.wetzler.com or 800-451-1852 for more infomation. These are a bit harder to get as they dont have distributors in every major city.

Frank Pellow
12-01-2005, 4:38 AM
I need to make a purchase decision soon. Both companies have sales currently.

Which do people prefer? I'm referring to the K-Clamps and Cabinet models.

Gary Curtis;)
I have 18 Bessy K clamps and 2 Jorgenson Cabinet clamps. I like both, but sometimes find the Bessy K clamps to be difficult to adjust. I have never had this problem with the Jorgenson Cabinet clamps, so I guess I would have to vote for them.

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-01-2005, 6:42 AM
...But I really do like the good old Jorgenson I beam clamps.

Me too. The I-beam (Isn't I-Bar the proper name?) is what I 'grew up' with in the local hobby shop, and I have 10 of them now. Only take 'em out for the heavy stuff, but once I have room for a clamping table those will be the 'go to' clamps. You certainly don't have to worry about 'not getting enough tight'. :D

Jim Becker
12-01-2005, 7:16 AM
Pick your favorite shade of orange or red. I like the Bessey's cause that's what I have. But if someone left some Jorgies or G-S parallel clamps on my doorstep, I'd use them, too.

Paul Canaris
12-01-2005, 9:01 AM
I own both types. I've noticed with the Bessy's that they tend to keep the work more square and seem to be a bit better made. But the Jorg's are easier to adjust and therfore easier to use..

Bill Simmeth
12-01-2005, 9:18 AM
I have some of both and prefer the Jorgies. As others have said, they seem to be a bit easier to adjust which is important during the glue-up gymnastics. They are a bit heavier than the Besseys which is good and bad. Oh, and I have this thing for buying American-made when all else is equal.

BTW, I haven't seen any sales on the Jorgies -- seems everyone has a Bessey sale going right now. Mind sharing where the Jorgy sale is?

John Miliunas
12-01-2005, 9:19 AM
I have both, some of the Reds and Orange ones, as well. I usually go for the Yellow ones (Gross Stabil):D . Just between the two you mention, though, I'd go with Red. The CabMasters just work too clunky for my liking plus, I had a heckuva' time with a couple of them, which totally "locked up" in the locked position.:rolleyes: Never had that problem with the Bessey or GS clamps.:) :cool:

Dan Racette
12-01-2005, 9:26 AM
bessey's = not my favorite
Jorg's = work ok
Wetzler=Cat's meow on my gift list.

Frank Pellow
12-01-2005, 9:32 AM
bessey's = not my favorite
Jorg's = work ok
Wetzler=Cat's meow on my gift list.
Dan, I checked the Wetzler web site and, as far as I can tell, they do not make the "K-body" style clamps which is what we are supposed to be comparing in this thread. Am I missing simething?

Maurice Ungaro
12-01-2005, 9:39 AM
Dev,
If those Besseys are still collecting dust in your shop, I'll pay the shipping and something for your efforts. Send them to me, and we'll both be happy!

Matt Meiser
12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
I've got a ton of Besseys and don't have much trouble with them. I do usually have to tap them on the bench to get the head to move when I take them off the rack (I store them with the moveable jaw at the opposite end of the bar from the fixed head) because they jam against the stop, but I image that problem no longer exists with the newer stop system. I've played with the Jorgies at a store and didn't notice much difference but I've never actually used them. If someone gave me any of the contenderd I'd be happy.

I would get whatever is the best deal and the easiest to get when you need/want more.

Chris Giles
12-01-2005, 10:33 AM
I inherited a bunch of Wetzler clamps from my grandfather about 30 years ago, so they are probably more than 60 years old. They are identical to the ones I see on their website, and that longevity says something for the quality of the design. The bar steel has just the right balance of flex and strength to out-perform my Besseys, jorgs, Gross-Stabile or unlabelled ones I use every day. I would highly recommend purchasing a couple and trying them out.

Rich Torino
12-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I've got a few Besseys and like them but I do agree that they can be a pita sometimes to adjust. I have a whole bunch of Pony pipe clamps and have to admit when you look at price vs. function they aint bad.....

Steve Clardy
12-01-2005, 11:04 AM
I can't do a comparsion yet, as the besseys I ordered are not here yet.
I do have 28 Cabinet Masters. I like them, though heavy, and with the movable head being backwards compared to a pipe clamp, I don't like the steel bar poking me in the gut when doing a glue-up on the bench.
I do have some of Jorgys I-beam clamps. Fantastic clamps.
In the long run, I think I should have put my money into more I-beam clamps, and also keep using the many pipe clamps I have.
I still reach for the pipe clamps when doing door panel glue-ups.
K-body clamps have their place. I use them mostly when attaching face frames to cab boxes, and use F-style clamps. Other than that, that's about all I use them for.

tod evans
12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
my vote goes to JLT since we`ve deviated from the question asked:) tod

Gary Curtis
12-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm up against the clock because a moderate order of machines and these clamps must be shipped from LA 260 miles North of San Fran. next week. Clamps for the whole shop have to be on that truck. They are heavy and can't go in my pickup truck.

Someone pointed out to me that the wider handles on Bessey clamps was a clear advantage. I don't think that was the K model head. So, based on what's been said, I'm ordering a bunch of Jorgensons to capatilize on the sale.

Gary Curtis

Ted Shrader
12-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Gary -

I have a whole boatload of Besseys, a few Gros-Stabils and two Jorgensens. Much prefer the Besseys. I bought the Jorgensens just to try them. They work, but the others are easier for me to use.

KC's opinion is just the opposite. So, think that may mean an individual technique of use. They are all well made. Personal preference comes into play here.

Buy a couple of each, then see which you prefer. Base your collection on your preference.

Last - You can never have too many clamps.

Regards,
Ted

Cameron Reddy
12-01-2005, 1:34 PM
The orange are quite a bit heavier duty and have a much larger head which makes them more useful. Mine, unfortunately, are not quite square and need to be exchanged for ones that are.

Gary Herrmann
12-01-2005, 2:00 PM
Besseys - but that's what I have. As Jim said earlier, if someone gave me others, I'd use those too. Is the Jorge sale 40% off any size like at Rockler? The size of the current discount would probably sway me one way or the other if I was in your shoes.

Ray Petri
12-01-2005, 5:00 PM
Where are the Jorgensens on sale?

Gary Curtis
12-01-2005, 5:11 PM
The sale is at all Jorgenson dealers. I'm buying at those prices from Eagle Tool (Glendale, CA 323 area code) because he sold me most of my big shop machinery. I paid him in September, thats when he showed me the flyer on the clamps.

I asked him how long those prices would be valid; he said until the end of the year. Maybe out of courtesy to a big customer? Does that apply to anyone, anywhere? Call someone local and ask.

And yes, the price was about 40% off. Even better, at Hartman Tools or some dealer online, a package deal of about 36 Jorgensen clamps was $299. But you couldn't mix-n-match at that price.

Selection seems sort of easy for me, cause I'm just starting out as a "sawdust generator." With no clamps at all, any clamp is a 'right clamp.'

Gary Curtis

Jay Knoll
12-01-2005, 7:38 PM
I just opened a box of Bessey's that I got from Amazon ($99 for 2 48", 2 24" plus a set of K Blocks)

Never had clamps of this quality but I must say that I am very pleased with the ease of use I experienced on the two glueups I did today.

Jay

Joe Spear
12-01-2005, 8:20 PM
To complicate it further, try the new Jet parallel clamps. I think they are an improvement over the Besseys, which I do like.

Gary Curtis
12-01-2005, 8:45 PM
Correction on my earlier response about the size of discount.

The package deal on Jorgenson --36 clamps for $299 -- was in a Grizzly flier.

Gary Curtis

lou sansone
12-01-2005, 9:02 PM
I have a bunch of different clamps. I like the bessy clamps best
lou

Mike Henderson
12-01-2005, 9:08 PM
I've used most of the different brands of clamps and like the Bessey K-body clamps the best.

Mike

Steve Roxberg
12-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet my understanding is that lee valley will begin selling the Gros-Stabil clamps in January and they will be on sale.

So get ready to spend some more money on cheap (yea right) clamps.

Steve

Allen Bookout
12-02-2005, 1:22 AM
I do not see Jorgensen, Bessey or CS clamps on sale anywhere. Where are you guys shopping?

Bill Simmeth
12-02-2005, 6:49 AM
I do not see Jorgensen, Bessey or CS clamps on sale anywhere. Where are you guys shopping?It was the 25th anniversary of the Bessey K-Body clamp in October. Several dealers had 40% off sales and some still do; Hartville Tool is one (though the sale price is slightly higher now). Amazon has lowered their price on Jorgie Cabinet Masters, but not that much. As mentioned earlier, Lee Valley has hinted at a GS sale in January.