PDA

View Full Version : Pearl harbor day

lowell holmes
12-07-2018, 1:06 PM
In 1941, on this day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor precipitating WWII....
It seams we have forgotten. I had several uncles that fought in that war.
It is important to remember and never let it happen again.

eugene thomas
12-07-2018, 1:09 PM
Every year this day Alwice means something. Looking at a alot of newspapers not even mentioned....

James Pallas
12-07-2018, 2:23 PM
It amazes me how little coverage there is today. The men and women who served in WWII and endured through that awful time deserve our everlasting honor and respect. Having known many of them personally and heard their stories it amazes me. And when it was over they came home and rebuilt this country. For the most part not much PTSD or things like that. They went back to work farming, building cars etc. and kept and still keep, for the ones that are still here, all of that horror out of others lives. I salute all of them for what they did before and after. And yes I understand another time and another era wars are still awful. I don’t know if I could have managed what they did.
Jim

Joe Bailey
12-07-2018, 3:25 PM
In 1942, on this day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor precipitating WWII....
It seams we have forgotten. I had several uncles that fought in that war.
It is important to remember and never let it happen again.

Amen.

P.S - it was 1941.

Steve Eure
12-07-2018, 3:34 PM
Correction. It was 1941, not '42!
I didn't hear the first bit about it on the news this morning. If you ask many people today, they could not tell you anything about it or the significance of that day. It's sad that our public school system now wants to erase all history.

Nicholas Lawrence
12-07-2018, 3:43 PM
Not many left. My grandfather fought in the Pacific. Signed up underage. He has been gone five years now.

Jack Dickey
12-07-2018, 4:10 PM
Part of my Navy years were at Pearl , sacred and hallowed ...

Mike Cutler
12-07-2018, 4:53 PM
Part of my Navy years were at Pearl , sacred and hallowed ...

Same here my friend, '79-81. USS John Marshall.
I used to live and work on Ford Island and passed the Arizona at least twice a day taking the Mike Boats from Merry Point Landing, or the ferry from Halawa Landing.

lowell holmes
12-07-2018, 5:42 PM
I proudly served in the USNR. I joined when I was 17 for 8 years. I was called on active duty during the Berlin crisis.
Our ship was sent to Key West relieving a Destroyer departing for the Med. We performed picket duty and training
fleet sonar men. We saw the Nautilus making 20 knots on the surface. It was throwing a rooster tail 30 feet in the air.
One mid afternoon a plane came out of the sun and headed for our midship. Our Captain was a veteran and recognized the plane.
I suspect he knew about it and that it was testing us. We had WWII and Korean war gunner mates in the gun tubs and
they had the nose of the rounds in the breech when the Captain told them to belay. I all ways thought he knew the plane was coming as a test.

It was good he intervened because they would have shot the plane out of the air.

Jack Dickey
12-07-2018, 5:59 PM
GMG1 73-86 , made chief and got out .. Was in pearl 81-83 .. aahh a bubblehead , i was a TM to start and got a med out from sub school .. Blew my eardrums twice with the steinke hood ..

Lee Schierer
12-07-2018, 8:09 PM

Arthur Fleming
12-07-2018, 8:53 PM
My Mother’s Uncle Eddie was at Guadalcanal, I didn’t know him much, he didn’t talk about it.

Jack Dickey
12-07-2018, 9:18 PM
Grandmothers brother was a Gunny on recruiter duty when they hit Pearl , he island hopped in Marine Field Artillery , never spoke about it .. Dad was Air Corps B29's , his brother was Airborne , with French resistance . Mother's brother was a medic , was on the beach at D Day , he had horror stories .. Wifes uncle was a marine tunnel rat island hopping .. He was crazy and took his life some years later ..

John Cole
12-08-2018, 3:22 AM
I noticed today a distinct lack of mention on the news about the significance of today. Shame!!

James Pallas
12-08-2018, 8:20 AM
One of the men I got to know, somewhat, was a navy diver at Pearl Harbor. He was much older than me of course. Every once in a while a story would come out. He spent the rest of his life as a diver. I remember him saying they worked for weeks by feel around the wrecks. “The toughest diving I ever did and ever will have to do again, thank God.” That always ended the conversation. He would not continue. If you asked another question it was ignored like he didn’t hear you. If you pushed you would get anger in return. If you asked about his current work he would explain it all. He was a nice and caring man willing to share time with a kid throwing a baseball or telling fishing stories. He was all about his children and family. Good memories for me.
Jim

Jack Dickey
12-08-2018, 8:34 AM
Local news had a short clip on it , didnt watch the national news ... Arizona has been leaking fuel oil since day one ..

Keith Outten
12-08-2018, 1:07 PM
I will never forget the 7th of December. My Dad served in the Navy in WWII and Korea. My Mother changed tires on airplanes at Langley Field during WWII.
My Dad's older brother was killed in action in WWII and I have several other family members who served including my wife's Dad who was a POW in Germany , sadly they are all gone now.
I heard plenty of stories when I was young.

Joe Wood
12-08-2018, 1:29 PM
My father, in his early 20s was there that morning, working on a pile driving barge that set moorings for the big navy ships. The barge had a tall derrick that was in the way of the torpedo bombers so that was the first thing they bombed. He woke up on a small island behind a big dozer's blade, someone must have put him there. The next couple days he helped with recovering bodies and parts of bodies in the harbor.

Mike Cutler
12-08-2018, 1:35 PM
i was a TM to start and got a med out from sub school .. Blew my eardrums twice with the steinke hood ..

Ouch!!!
I'm glad everything worked out for you, and they were able to change your rate.
I was a Missile Tech.

Jack Dickey
12-08-2018, 3:02 PM
Ouch!!!
I'm glad everything worked out for you, and they were able to change your rate.
I was a Missile Tech.

Yeah you had a neat job , TM surface was a joke , I was able to change rates about a year after I got to the ship ... Was bored to tears , you can only skate so much and enjoy it .. When we went thru the escape tank , the first time a diver snagged me about ten feet from the top .. The second time I went , I blew an eardrum in the pressure chamber .. Waiting for it to heal , graduated from sub school , then on med hold , went in again and blew the eardrum again and doc sent me on my way .. Had orders to Fast Attack in Charleston , SSN686 Mendel Rivers ..

James Pallas
12-08-2018, 3:10 PM
One of my friends growing up Mom had been a ferry pilot during the war. She said she could fly anything that could fly. She also said she believed she could have been a combat pilot because she had more hours then some of them. She said she used to plant a kiss on each plane she delivered and told it “Sorry sweetheart I have to send you off to the fight, take care of your new partner” and then she was off to another mission. She also said it was surprising to her at first how much physical strength it took to fly some of those planes. She would say how proud she was to have done her part.
Jim

Ole Anderson
12-09-2018, 8:18 AM
My dad ended up as a Lt. Colonel serving in the Pacific with an anti-aircraft battalion(?) I remember him telling me about the day Pearl Harbor was attacked. We have an easy reminder of that day as my first son was born on December 7th. Never forget the sacrifices made for our freedom.

Andrew Gibson
12-10-2018, 4:47 PM
My Grandfather used to tell me he listened to FDR's address on the radio as a kid. He enlisted and went to Korea at 17. He was the BAR man in his Squad. He had two brothers stationed in Hawaii when Pearl was hit. My Uncle Paul was a PBY pilot and my Uncle Gene ended up on the Yourktown when it was sunk in the battle of Midway and spent 18 hours in the water before being rescued. My Grandfater had 3 other brothers and a sister that all fought in WW2 my Aunt Fern was an Army Nurse, she never liked to say she was a member of the VFW because she was stationed at a Hospital in Chicago and did not think she diserved the title. My Grandfathers best friend Ray Cook was an army Chaplin and took part in the battle of Iwo Jima. I spent a lot of time with these men as a child and teen.

Dave Ray
12-10-2018, 6:41 PM
How soon we forget..... Very little news about such a big event in so many lives