PDA

View Full Version : Festool TS 55 Blade Replacement Option

ChrisA Edwards
12-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Had my Festool TS55 for about 10 years (I think) and it's about time for a new blade, yes, you read that right.

I mainly cut down finish plywood with it, but not great volume, so I'm tempted to go with the Festool 48T blade again.

But I know there's many people here with much more experience and knowledge, than me, so just want to go with the best option.

Cost is not an issue.

Thanks

Jim Becker
12-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Honestly, I've also been very happy with the OEM blade and have a second one waiting to someday live on the saw. (for some reason, I got two with the machine originally) But there are options from other manufacturers for sure these days. I'm not sure that any one could be called "best" because it's a bit subjective. Since all my other blades are Forrest by choice, I could certainly go that way for my TS55 if I wanted to "just because"...

Van Huskey
12-05-2018, 1:29 PM
I have used Forrest, Freud, Festool and Oshlun on my tracksaws. The "3 Fs" mentioned all do a great job and I use the Oshlun for cutting stuff I would rather not use more expensive blades for but they actually do a great job for the price. My opinion after using other blades is in the future I will stick with the Festool blades in the expensive blade realm.

Has the Festool blade been sharpened? If not you could get it sharpened, not everyone can or will properly sharpen a Festool blade (Forrest for example won't touch them). I do have the name of a saw shop that does great work on them, I don't have it handy at the moment but let me know if you want it and I will track it down.

ChrisA Edwards
12-05-2018, 1:49 PM
I'm going to get a new Festool blade, thanks Van and Jim.

I think the old blade is worth sharpening even just to have it as a backup.

So recommendations for sharpening services, that will do the Festool blades, are welcome.

Thanks

Van Huskey
12-05-2018, 2:36 PM
I'm going to get a new Festool blade, thanks Van and Jim.

I think the old blade is worth sharpening even just to have it as a backup.

So recommendations for sharpening services, that will do the Festool blades, are welcome.

Thanks

First, any company with modern CNC sharpeners can do Festool blades, some just seem to be less than interested in bothering to set the machines up for the different grinds and some Festool blades have variable spacing.

One company that has stood out saying they like to sharpen Festool blades (made by Leitz btw) is Burns Tool in Mass. They do a fantastic job. You can also send them to Leitz but they have a minimum of around $50 and you have to start an account with them.

Again, I may have come across too strong as plenty of places sharpen them well, just wanted to you be aware of the potential issues and give you an option that many people on FOG (as well as myself) have been happy with.

Kevin Smira
12-05-2018, 2:52 PM
I use Tenryu saw blades in my TS55. I think I have the 28T (combo blade) and the 48T blade. For the money, they are hard to beat.

Dave Sabo
12-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Chris - you should be aware ( and check) that around the time you bought your saw the Leitz / Festool blades had a wider kerf.

The current crop is 2.2mm wide. If you have the wider kerf blade you may not want to sharpen it for a backup because every time you use it you'll have to re-cut the splinter guard - and then replace it when you go back to a new blade.

ChrisA Edwards
12-06-2018, 8:12 AM
Chris - you should be aware ( and check) that around the time you bought your saw the Leitz / Festool blades had a wider kerf.

The current crop is 2.2mm wide. If you have the wider kerf blade you may not want to sharpen it for a backup because every time you use it you'll have to re-cut the splinter guard - and then replace it when you go back to a new blade.

Thank you, wasn't aware of that. I need to replace those anyway, so now sounds like a good time to do those with the new blade.

Dave Sabo
12-06-2018, 8:36 PM
Thank you, wasn't aware of that. I need to replace those anyway, so now sounds like a good time to do those with the new blade.

Just looked and the old versions were 2.6mm. Might want to skip the sharpening if thats' the one you have.

D