PDA

View Full Version : Medicare Part D - Prescription Drugs

Carl Eyman
11-30-2005, 8:46 PM
I know most of you are not involved with Medicare except, perhaps,as care givers. However, those of us that are are facing a decision making process that is pretty awesome. I have just made a fact finding study, come to a conclusion, and am about to mail in an application. Before I do, does anyone want to share his findings?

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-30-2005, 9:33 PM
Carl, I haven't made a decisison Yet. I guess I am old fashioned because even though I am just above the poverty level, I hate them forcing me into a program like this. I don't want someone else paying for my family's medicines. However if one doesn't get in now there appear to be penalties down the road.

Boyd Gathwright
11-30-2005, 11:26 PM
.... My wife and I have been discussing this, its a real shame. It's a sign of our times I am afraid :o.

Jim Becker
12-01-2005, 7:53 AM
You know, Carl...if you've been able to figure out anything about the program, you're ahead of even the "experts"...

Carl Eyman
12-01-2005, 8:25 AM
Or maybe I'm just too stupid to see the complexities. There are 40 plans available to me. I checked the "formularies" to see which covered the drugs I'm using. Any that did not I eliminated. There were six that covered them all. Prices were about the same; so I chose a company that I'd used before. The problem is I don't know what the doc will prescribe next. If it is a $100 a month job and not covered, I have to wait a year to change plans.

Don, Do you know how much of this is self funding through premiums and how much is subsidized? I agree I don't like to be on the dole. I am in the midst of a procedure right now which is costing medicare an obscene amount of money and I don't believe we should be spending such sums on people in their twilight years. I don't think I'm worth it - and who should know better?
(now I'll probably get in trouble with the moderator. Be kind, Ken)

Joe Mioux
12-01-2005, 8:49 AM
Carl:
Thank you for this reminder. Like you and Don, my folks prefer to be independent of government programs. I will remind them today that they need to investigate the new program.

Joe

Joe Pelonio
12-01-2005, 9:03 AM
My mother in law (86) is in an adult family home and we handle
her affairs. That Part D drug benefit package thing is so complicated that a doctor, lawyer, and accountant are needed to help them figure out which plan to use, and it's even worse if they are on medicaid because the state will reduce their benefit by what THEY calculate will be the
net benefit from the drug program. My wife is trying to sort it out but
I think time to apply is running out soon. Currently we are paying for a
lot of medication that she needs that medicaid won't pay because they
know better than the doctor, and we're trying to figure out if any of those
would be covered by any of the part D plans. What a mess.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Carl Eyman
12-01-2005, 9:28 AM
I imagine anyone that has started to attack this problem has already looked at this site, but on the off chance that someone has not www.medicare.gov/pdphome.asp is a worthwhile destination. It will tell you what plans are available to you in your locality, the cost of each plan, a summary of the coverage of each, what drugs each will cover (the formulary), and where to go to sign up.

All of this is fairly straightforward, but deciding between an expensive premium that has more extensive coverage, a greater or lesser deductible, a more extensive or smaller choice in their formulary, that's where you pays your money and rolls the dice.

And when it comes to medicaid, well don't ask me, though I believe it is mentioned in the website I listed.

Stuart Johnson
12-01-2005, 9:53 AM
I have no coverage and won't for another two years. As a result I get to pay for any doctor vists and medication with cash up front at two to four time the rate charged insurance companies. My wife will sign up for the new drug coverage and while selecting a plan that covers her medication, is accepted by the local pharmacy isn't easy it isn't terrible.

The problem is they can drop any given medication at any time. Also, what is the doctor going to want her to start taking next? Will it be offered or will it be an out of pocket expense until the next enrollment.

The thing that bothers me the most is the "take it now or pay a penalty" feature. To me this is sort of like something a used car salesman would say.

Jim Becker
12-01-2005, 12:11 PM
The thing I am uncomfortable with about this thing is not that it's a government program. Rather, that it's controlled so much by the drug companies and they all have agendas. It should be one plan that covers any drug (within reason) that you can choose to participate in or not. This 40-60 choices of plans is just too complex and as pointed out, contains pitfalls if your medication needs change midstream and you need something that is not covered by the particular provider you signed up for earlier.

Dan Larson
12-01-2005, 2:39 PM
Don, Do you know how much of this is self funding through premiums and how much is subsidized? I agree I don't like to be on the dole. I am in the midst of a procedure right now which is costing medicare an obscene amount of money and I don't believe we should be spending such sums on people in their twilight years.

Carl & Don, thank you for your comments. You have reminded me that there still is a portion of the American population who live up to high standards of personal responsibility and self reliance. My wife and I work in healthcare related fields, and quite frankly we both struggle to not become jaded by the attitudes presented by many people seeking medical treatment. Although I don't necessarily share your view that our society shouldn't be spending large sums of money on advanced healthcare for folks in their twilight years, I certainly have a great deal respect for your thoughfulness on this matter.

Dan

Ed Breen
12-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Heck,
My problem with the program is this: I've been on medicare for 11 years, but am still employed and covered under the company's health program. Do I have to sign up and carry triple coverage? Will I be zapped if I don't sign up?
sign me out as perplexed!
Ed:eek:

Carl Eyman
12-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Ed: I think if you'll go to the web site I posted above and clik on "Common Situations" you will find the answer. The example they give is a person on medicare but covered by a prescription plan of his union or formen employer. I imagine it'd be the same for a drug plan by a current employer. Hey, am I beginning to sound like a Medicare advisor here? I don't mean to assume that role. Guess I'd better shut up on this subject.

Vaughn McMillan
12-02-2005, 7:05 PM
Carl, thanks for the Medicare link and the heads-up. While I'm still a few years away from dealing with it myself, my (future) MIL is 83, and she's no longer really up to making all the right financial and medical decisions. (LOML has Power of Attorney, but hasn't needed to use it yet.) Since neither she or LOML have any idea what they're reading when they look at the booklet that's been sent by the Medicare folks, it looks like I need to study up on things so I can help them decide which way to go.

Any other suggestions for someone like me who's far too young to need it himself (yeah, right) but is instead researching for someone else?

Thanks again -

- Vaughn

Kathy Koehl
12-07-2005, 2:45 PM
Hi everybody. This is my first post. Medicare Part D is very confusing for everyone, including people in the health professions. Even as a future pharmacist (in 1.5 years), the options can be overwhelming. If you or a loved one are in the process of choosing a plan, I urge you to visit your local pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist. Many chain and independent drug stores are holding classes that can help you make the best decision. So, go speak to your pharmacist, and if he/she won't help you, take all of your prescriptions to a pharmacist who will. It is their job. Best of luck!

Aaron Koehl
12-07-2005, 4:10 PM
Hi everybody. This is my first post. Medicare Part D is very confusing for everyone, including people in the health professions. Even as a future pharmacist (in 1.5 years), the options can be overwhelming. If you or a loved one are in the process of choosing a plan, I urge you to visit your local pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist. Many chain and independent drug stores are holding classes that can help you make the best decision. So, go speak to your pharmacist, and if he/she won't help you, take all of your prescriptions to a pharmacist who will. It is their job. Best of luck!
Ahh, my better half responds! :)