PDA

View Full Version : The Intelligent Hand

Christopher Charles
12-03-2018, 3:00 PM
Hello all,

I recently read through David Savage's book "The Intelligent Hand". Curious if any others have read it and have thoughts.

https://lostartpress.com/products/the-intelligent-hand

Best,
Chris

Flamone LaChaud
12-03-2018, 4:37 PM
Yes, I bought it and have read it. I think it's one of those books that doesn't fit easily into any single category. I really liked it, but I'll be the first to admit that it's not for everyone. And that's all I have to say about that.

Chuck Nickerson
12-04-2018, 1:00 PM
It's an interesting book for me. It doesn't show you how to 'do' anything. It does show how one person's experiences, mindset, and techniques have built to very high-level woodworking design and execution. Since I'm working to up my game as a hobbyist it's quite useful for me.

Christopher Charles
12-05-2018, 3:49 PM
Thanks and yes, I agree that the book is unusual!

Not quite a design book, not quite a 'how-to' woodworking book, nor full-on biography nor business manual, but a bit of all of them. His style is certainly 'cutting edge' and elements of it I find inspiring and much of it I find to be too much. I deeply appreciate the strive for excellence steeped into all of the work and the culture he nurtures at his shop and with his students.

I quite liked the book and would recommend for anyone interested in design process and/or running a woodworking business as an example of how to both fail and succeed.