PDA

View Full Version : Anti-vibration gloves

Jay Knoll
11-30-2005, 5:59 PM
Hi everyone

I have a LOT of sanding to do on a series of outdoor chairs where I foolishly let the varnish go one year too long. Going to have to take each one down to bare wood and start building coats again.

I started working on one chair but after 1/2 hour my hands were really feeling the effects of the sander.

So, any recommendations on some gloves that will help reduce the problem? I found some on Amazon but they appear to be a new offering, there are no reviews etc.

Thanks for your help

Jay

Jim Becker
11-30-2005, 6:40 PM
The ones I used to use with the PC333 sanders came from Klingspoor at a show. They did a good job. (No longer needed with the Festool sanders...no vibration or at least so little I don't get tingly even after hours of sanding)

Dennis Peacock
11-30-2005, 7:26 PM
All I can say here is Festool Sanders ROCK..!!!!!! Smooth and I can sand a long time without the tingly hand syndrome. :D

Doug Shepard
11-30-2005, 7:46 PM
Cyclists have been using them for years as the road vibration through the bike handles can get to you after a while. They're pretty much the same thing and checking some out at a local bike shop will open up a lot more options than just the ones the marketers have slapped the "for Woodworkers" label on.

Jay Knoll
11-30-2005, 8:14 PM
Thanks Jim! They are on the way. I spent most of the afternoon looking around for some supplies, I'm going the web route when ever I can.

Yes I agree about the Festool Rotex, I've used it for long periods of time without any problem.

But then I bought the DS 400 EQ, and with 40 grit paper on the pad that puppy really gets my hands going.

Jay

Howard Barlow
11-30-2005, 8:51 PM
Anti-vibration gloves can be found at chain-saw/weedeater dealers, also. At least, Stihl dealers that I shop with have them.

Matt Crew
11-30-2005, 9:11 PM
I'm a big fan of Mechanix wear gloves. I found these on their website.

http://www.mechanix.com/detail.asp?product_id=H30#features

A guy I work with had to have carpotunel surgery, so he wears these all the time since then. He really likes them.

Kent Cori
11-30-2005, 9:47 PM
+1 on the bicycling gloves. They're easy to find, relatively cheap and do the job very well. Plus you can get them in purty colors too! ;)