PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Business Account: worth it?

Paul F Franklin
12-01-2018, 11:31 AM
I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, both for personal and business use. Prime member since they started it.

I often get emails from Amazon suggesting I set up a free business account.

From what I can gather from a little research, a major benefit of doing so it the ability to make use of sales tax deferral for applicable items, but most of what I buy from them doesn't fall into that category.

And my business is solo, so no need to allow multiple purchasers to use a single account.

So for those that have an Amazon BA, are there other benefits and/or drawbacks to having the account?

Jim Becker
12-01-2018, 11:53 AM
I've gotten the same solicitations and haven't chosen to setup the separate business account to-date. I really don't buy enough "material' from them that would qualify for the sales tax relief and things like tooling for my CNC that I sometimes buy from them is not sale tax exempt anyway. What I did do is add my business VISA card to my personal account so that I can at least simply the accounting for those few items that i get via Amazon for the business. Like you...I'm a single person in the business, even though it's a corporation so no need for multiple purchasers, either. My Prime benefits actually come from Professor Dr. SWMBO's Prime membership as a family benefit.

Greg R Bradley
12-01-2018, 1:04 PM
I look at it as a work in progress. Amazon seems to think they are going to become the primary source for almost everything so they are starting that direction.
As the only Amazon purchaser for my personal use and three small businesses, the only advantage I see is the ease of buying items for resale. Even that wouldn't matter if California hadn't gone through a major change in how they handle Sales Tax Reporting (new state agency) that makes it more complicated to pay Sales Tax on items that are for resale.

If the Sales Tax is a big deal for you or if you have multiple purchasers and need to track that, then I would make the change. Otherwise, at this point, I don't see any advantage.

Matt Day
12-01-2018, 1:53 PM
I signed up for a business account. Haven’t seen a use for it yet, other than separating personal and business expenses.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-01-2018, 3:55 PM
I signed my business up, found it confusing to use and the shipping cost more than the simple old prime account, so I reverted.

Paul F Franklin
12-01-2018, 7:52 PM
Thanks for info, all. Pretty much confirms my impressions that it wouldn't add much value in my situation.

eugene thomas
12-02-2018, 1:26 AM
I have business account. Not really benefit for the sales tax but lot of the stuff is cheaper when buy through it. Some times in the 5 to 10$ range.