PDA

View Full Version : Target Coatings WR4000 Stain

Andy Krzizike
11-30-2018, 3:08 PM
Hello, I can almost always find answers to my questions on here but haven’t seen much on the WR4000 stain. I’m using it for the first time and like it quite a bit. I have a question for those of you that use it. I applied it with a foam brush and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then wiped it off. It’s now been about 30 hours and if I wipe it with a dry shop towel, I’m still getting some color on it. Did I let it sit too long when I applied it which is causing it to take a long time to dry or is it dry and I’m just wiping off some of the color? My shop has been 60-73 degrees over that period of time. The can is vague but says it can be topcoated in 2 hours. I just really don’t want my top coats to fail bc they aren’t dry enough. I also have a call into Target Coatings and am waiting to hear back.

Andy Krzizike
11-30-2018, 3:40 PM
Ok, just talked to Jeff at Target Coatings. He said that’s normal for some color to transfer. He said they are dye based so I will get some lifting of the color until I seal it. So good to go!

bruce buren
11-30-2018, 7:15 PM
thanks for the info planning on giving this stain a try on next project

David Utterback
12-01-2018, 10:55 AM
If the color can be lifted, it would likely contaminate the liquid finish you are applying. A good practice (which I follow infrequently) is to pour off enough for the current project into a separate container.

Andy Krzizike
12-06-2018, 4:07 PM
Yep, that’s great advice. I spray my finishes so not as big of a deal for me.