PDA

View Full Version : Great interview

Derek Cohen
11-30-2018, 6:23 AM
I loved this interview of David Heller, and especially his attitude and creative approach. Refreshing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg8s0ghkx-c

Regards from Perth

Derek

William Fretwell
11-30-2018, 8:48 AM
He gets to do whatever he wants, not in a financially viable way, just his way! I did not really like his furniture. Apart from the inlay/veneer character his pieces don’t have a particular style yet.
One take away was learning new techniques and pushing yourself makes you better. I’m not sure the white inlay on the doors of his wife’s jewellery box actually line up properly, that would bug me.

Derek Cohen
11-30-2018, 10:05 AM
Hi William

I am not a big fan of his designs, too. What I liked was his "go for it" attitude. I can identify with his journey, as I believe others here will as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tom Bender
12-05-2018, 8:43 AM
"If you already know how to do it,,,why bother?"

William Fretwell
12-05-2018, 9:10 AM

For most people Tom when you know how to do something you then get better at it. Some people refine and develop designs and techniques. Many of those people are called ‘Master Craftsmen’. They get very good at it, then they enjoy producing. It is a common trait that the top craftsman are very prolific in their field. Some even make a living at it!

A very good friend of mine is a master turner, he produces and sells 300-400 incredible bowls every year at $300-600 a bowl. He simply can’t stop himself.

For me, learning to do something opens the door to producing beautiful furniture for my family to enjoy. The build process is most relaxing and rewarding. Someday I may even sell a few pieces to fund my addiction.

Perhaps this is not the forum for you?

Simon MacGowen
12-05-2018, 9:29 AM
Thanks for sharing Heller's story, Derek.

He certainly has developed good skills in veneering and curved work, or decorative furniture as he calls it. Not everyone is able to or willing to or is interested in spending a lot of time on the decorative elements of a project as he. If anything, he knows one of the secrets to making fine furniture no matter what type or style it is: you can't do it consistently without patience.

Simon

Jim Koepke
12-06-2018, 2:06 AM

A wise man can learn something new even from the least educated.

jtk

Mark Maleski
12-06-2018, 2:49 PM
Perhaps this is not the forum for you? Tom was just quoting the video...doesn't seem fair to suggest he leave just for doing so, eh?

Regarding the quote itself, Dave Heller said it with a laugh and I took it as hyperbole. I know Dave a bit, and feel confident in reading it that way. In fact, if you view his IG you'll see he's made multiple versions of just about everything, so he clearly does "bother."

Mark Maleski
12-06-2018, 2:55 PM
Great to see Dave's video. He led the Washington Woodworkers Guild when I first joined, and he/I took a 2-day carving class with Al Breed a few years back. I still see him from time to time at shows, and am glad to see him setting high standards of craftsmanship at them (the last I saw him, he was demonstrating for the public how he uses his chevalet). I was sorry to see him move away, but glad to see him connecting with the Wood and Shop crew.

William Fretwell
12-06-2018, 10:36 PM
Good point!

jamie shard
12-08-2018, 6:31 AM
A very good friend of mine is a master turner, he produces and sells 300-400 incredible bowls every year at $300-600 a bowl. He simply can’t stop himself.

By chance does he have a website? I'd be interested in seeing the bowls!

William Fretwell
12-08-2018, 8:45 AM
Yes he does. Just went reading the rules here so can’t post direct link to the Etsy auction site he uses. Search on that site for Jean-Gilles Francoeur bowls.

Bruce Haugen
12-08-2018, 9:15 AM
Yes he does. Just went reading the rules here so can’t post direct link to the Etsy auction site he uses. Search on that site for Jean-Gilles Francoeur bowls.

Wow! Those are very fine turnings.

jamie shard
12-10-2018, 6:47 AM

Thanks William!