PDA

View Full Version : S4S Hardwood supplier

mark downing
11-29-2018, 10:32 PM
I am looking to buy some domestic and exotic hardwoods. I need pieces 3/8" x 7" x 24" The 3/8" and 7" dimensions are most important.
Can anyone suggest a supplier?
Thanks

Doug Hepler
11-29-2018, 10:53 PM
Mark

The answer to your question seems too obvious. Perhaps I don't understand it. I'm not being sarcastic. Many people here are willing to help but you might get more help if you explain more about what you need. You can shop for yourself at Rockler or Woodcraft. On-line at places like Woodworkers Source, Bell Forest Products. Just search Google and take your pick. Green Valley (http://www.gvwp.net/online-store/LAMINATED-TURNING-STOCK-c14044336) offers custom sizes of domestic wood. I don't know whether they have exotics.

I hope this helps

Doug

Michelle Rich
11-30-2018, 6:09 AM
Wall Lumber sells thin woods..give them a call thye ship all over US

Matt Day
11-30-2018, 7:28 AM
Assuming you mean online suppliers. If you want it milled to exact size you’re going to pay a premium.

Patrick Varley
11-30-2018, 10:16 AM
I've never purchased from them, but I've had this site bookmarked from when I've considered it: http://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll_saw_lumber.php

You probably aren't going to find anyone to get you exactly 7" width absent a custom order with a significant markup. Focus on finding 3/8" thick and then cutting to size.

Yonak Hawkins
11-30-2018, 10:58 AM
What species and quantities are you looking for, mark ?

John K Jordan
11-30-2018, 11:05 AM
I am looking to buy some domestic and exotic hardwoods. I need pieces 3/8" x 7" x 24" The 3/8" and 7" dimensions are most important.
Can anyone suggest a supplier?
Thanks

And you might put your location in your profile. Someone may know a supplier within driving distance. There is one near Knoxville that has a huge inventory but I don't think they sell online. Not cheap, but when I want it it's there.

I doubt you can find those specific sizes but some dealers and nearly any shop can resaw, joint and plane/sand to your specs.

JKJ

Art Mann
11-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Neither 7" width nor 3/8" thickness is all that common. You may need to buy common dimensions instead and get someone to machine the material to your specifications. If you were near me, I might be willing to do it for free if it wasn't too much.

mark downing
11-30-2018, 1:01 PM
Thanks everyone. My bandsaw is down and I don't own a planer so an online purchase seemed reasonable. There's an old American Woodworker article describing simple jewelry boxes, perfect for holiday gifts. That's the reference to 3/8" stock.
I will try the suppliers suggested, again many thanks.

lowell holmes
11-30-2018, 2:43 PM
We don't know where you are located, but there are three hardwood suppliers in the Houston area.

Dan Baginski
11-30-2018, 9:14 PM
Baird brothers in Ohio sells S4S in a lot of species. 3/4 and up. I think they can do custom cuts but they charge a set up fee and it’s not cheap.

I’ve bought a handful of S4S boards from them and it’s been quality lumber and packaged very nicely. You have to pay attention to the dimensions though. Some they have in stock ready to ship. Other widths they charge a set up fee.

David Utterback
12-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Unless you are wishing to make an exact duplicate of the boxes, they can be made with varying dimensions. I use a lot of smaller cutoff pieces - even mixing species for the tops.

Rege Sullivan
12-01-2018, 4:37 PM
Call your local hardwood suppliers. In my area some will demention to your spec for a fee, usually per BF. If you are near Pittsburgh try Brookside or Allegheny Mill Works.

Yonak Hawkins
12-01-2018, 10:23 PM
mark, you might get someone on this forum to supply to your requirements if you would divulge species, quantities and your location.

Adam Grund
12-02-2018, 9:27 AM
What's the quality of their cabinet grade plywood, if you know? I bought some 1/2 oak for a cabinet project from Lowe's that was ok for what it's being used for, but going forward I would like to find a better quality ply. The stuff at Lowe's was full of voids and not nearly as true as I thought "cabinet grade" should be (though I knew most of that going in to it from reading online)

Jim Becker
12-02-2018, 10:05 AM
What's the quality of their cabinet grade plywood, if you know? I bought some 1/2 oak for a cabinet project from Lowe's that was ok for what it's being used for, but going forward I would like to find a better quality ply. The stuff at Lowe's was full of voids and not nearly as true as I thought "cabinet grade" should be (though I knew most of that going in to it from reading online)

Buying from an actual plywood/sheet goods supplier is generally going to give you access to higher quality material. The home centers specialize in "price", not quality. I buy sheet goods from Industrial Plywood out of Reading PA. They primarily carry domestic/North American sheet goods. I've had very little voids, the veneers are really good and the material is generally consistent in thickness, too. (about .47 for every sheet) Find a similar supplier in your area to do business with. Most will sell to "the small guy" and most will even deliver for free or a nominal charge if your order is at least a reasonable minimum.

Art Mann
12-02-2018, 10:23 AM
I noticed that Home Depot will special order hardwood plywood made by a company called Columbia Forest Products. Does anyone know anything about this company?

mark downing
12-02-2018, 11:53 AM
I'm located near Santa Rosa Ca. So many of our Bay Area suppliers have closed up in the past 10 years, ouch. Patrick's suggestion of Ocooch Hardwoods worked out great!
Mark

Randy Heinemann
12-02-2018, 2:02 PM
If you have a local supplier of hardwoods near you, that would be the first place I's check. In Northern Illinois, there are at least 2 hardwood supplier and they would both be able to plane wood to your specified thickness for a price, which may or may not be more that what you would pay online for wood planed to that thickness. As for cutting to width, that is something I'm sure these same suppliers would do, but again for a price.

If no suppliers nearby, try a Lowe's, Home Depot, or Menard's. These stores have recently begun selling planed hardwoods. While the prices are higher than you'd pay from a hardwood supplier, they aren't that bad and the wood seems to be decent if you take the time to sort through what is in stock. Again, width is something else. You'd have to rip it yourself.

Jim Becker
12-02-2018, 4:55 PM
I noticed that Home Depot will special order hardwood plywood made by a company called Columbia Forest Products. Does anyone know anything about this company?

They are a North American manufacturer based in NC.

https://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/products/

Adam Grund
12-02-2018, 7:07 PM
I searched a while back and found 1 or 2 in reasonable distance but never followed up on it. I'll revisit and see what I can find.
For some reason i was thinking reading wasn't all that far, I am only less than an hr from the pa line. So I pulled up the map, 4hr 55min- nope, too far! lol

Jim Becker
12-02-2018, 7:30 PM
Their Lewisburg location is closer, but you're still way out of range. Pennsytucky is a really "long" state east to west! I'm sure there are some similar firms closer to you...don't hesitate to ask at local cabinet shops who they buy material from. Worse case you may also be able to piggie-back on their orders. I did that a number of years ago before I got things figured out on my own.

Patrick Varley
12-03-2018, 12:43 AM
I'm located near Santa Rosa Ca. So many of our Bay Area suppliers have closed up in the past 10 years, ouch. Patrick's suggestion of Ocooch Hardwoods worked out great!
Mark

Mark, great! If you don't mind, give us an update once you get the product. I'd be interested to hear how it works out.

I searched a while back and found 1 or 2 in reasonable distance but never followed up on it. I'll revisit and see what I can find.
For some reason i was thinking reading wasn't all that far, I am only less than an hr from the pa line. So I pulled up the map, 4hr 55min- nope, too far! lol

Adam, check out Distributor Service Inc (https://distributorserviceinc.com). I've bought from them a few times (plywood and laminate) and it was super easy, and the product was good quality. I'm only a hobbyist and they had no problem selling me small volumes. They have a warehouse in Solon, OH but they also deliver. When I purchased, I just drove a pickup in and the guys loaded it.

Though it would be a further drive for you, also check out Allegheny Plywood (http://alleghenyplywood.com) in Pittsburgh. I've also had good experiences with them.

Adam Grund
12-04-2018, 4:28 PM
Adam, check out Distributor Service Inc (https://distributorserviceinc.com). I've bought from them a few times (plywood and laminate) and it was super easy, and the product was good quality. I'm only a hobbyist and they had no problem selling me small volumes. They have a warehouse in Solon, OH but they also deliver. When I purchased, I just drove a pickup in and the guys loaded it.

Though it would be a further drive for you, also check out Allegheny Plywood (http://alleghenyplywood.com) in Pittsburgh. I've also had good experiences with them.

Thanks so much!!
Contacted DSI, I think I may buy a few sheets from them. They are only about 20 min from where I work.
I contacted the brook park location of Alegheny Plywood, and the guy I spoke with said they are a wholesaler only and do not sell to the general public. Do you know if the Pittsburgh location is different? Pittsburgh is slightly less than hr and a half from me.

Sorry to keep this thread going sideways!