PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Bench Plane Front Knob

Tate Harmann
11-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Greetings,

So I was in the market for a new front knob for my Stanley Bailey No. 5 - I had the hardware for it so I wanted just the knob. I found one on Ebay that I thought was "close enough" - and it actually is. I could use it on my plane but it bothers my OCD that it doesn't match exactly.

Does anyone know which plane it might belong to? These are the dimensions the seller gave:
Bottom Diameter: 1 1/4 inch
Bottom Hole Diameter: 5/8 inch
Thinnest Neck Diameter: 15/16 inch
Thickest Neck Diameter: 1 3/4 inch
Top Hole Diameter: 1/2 inch
Height: 2 3/4 inch

However, the "top hole" diameter is actually a bit larger than 1/2'' - it's probably more like 9/16''.

And I think for the Bailey No. 5 it should be 7/16'', right?

Any rate - here are some images next to know I want to replace (you'll see why I wanted to replace it haha).

If anyone knows what it is and wants it they can have it for free if they cover shipping :)

Thanks!

lowell holmes
11-29-2018, 11:49 AM
If all else fails, I would make an octagonal front knob on my able saw and whittle it to shape.
It would be fun project.
I've made several saw handles like this.

Tate Harmann
11-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Yep - could definitely do that too :)

I'm wondering what plane make/model this knob should belong to, though.

Thanks!

Andrew Seemann
11-29-2018, 12:13 PM
The knob on the left looks like a beech knob from a WWII Stanley plane. Rosewood got hard to get, so they used beech with a tinted finish. During they war, they kind of made did with what they had, so it potentially could have been mounted on anything it fit onto. It could also be a stock knob from a different manufacturer from who knows what and when. I have an old Revonoc jack plane with a similar knob. It might be off a larger plane based on the size.

steven c newman
11-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Great Neck Tool Co. Corsair brand plane.

Tate Harmann
11-29-2018, 2:15 PM
Thanks for the info folks - I mean, we are pretty sure that it's nothing out of the Stanley Bailey/Bedrock line, right? I think all the way up to No. 8 those had a 7/16'' hole/bore on the top..

Great Neck, eh? Good idea - I can investigate that.