PDA

View Full Version : Work Sharp vs Wet Stones...

Derek Arita
11-27-2018, 7:24 PM
Well, I finally took a close look at the Work Sharp, Onion Edition. It looks like it could be a pretty good sharpener, however I thought I'd ask opinions from those more experienced than I. I've been knife sharpening on the Tormek, for primary bevels, then wet stones from 1K, up to 8K to 15K, then leather strop. I'm no expert at it, but I can get the knives sharper by hand, than with the Tormek alone.
All that said, the Work Sharp looks so fast and simple, but does it truly compare? Can I get a gleaming edge on the knife, at the proper angle? Thanks for the help! Posted this in Neander, but since this is a power tool, I thought I'd repost here.

Van Huskey
11-27-2018, 7:42 PM
I haven't seen the Ken Onion knife sharpener used by woodworkers, usually, it is the 3000. Is their an Onion version of the 3000?

Derek Arita
11-27-2018, 8:03 PM
Onion version is for knives, I believe, although I just started looking at them. It's not the specific woodworkers version that looks like the Veritas MKII Power Sharpener.

Van Huskey
11-27-2018, 8:17 PM
Onion version is for knives, I believe, although I just started looking at them. It's not the specific woodworkers version that looks like the Veritas MKII Power Sharpener.

So you are looking for a knife sharpener? If so I have the knife sharpening conversion kit for the 3000 and it has the small belts like the Ken Onion sharpener (that I have seen). It does a decent job but I get a better edge off the Tormek and power stropping.

If I was going for a belt sharpener for knives I would get an actual belt grinder. Even the HF and Wen have good reputations (for the money) in the hobby knife making world, with high quality belts obviously.

Derek Arita
11-27-2018, 8:34 PM
Van, thanks. Good info. I'm always looking for a better way, as are we all. I just read such good things about this Ken Onion Work Sharp, but not from those who sharpen kitchen type knives.