PDA

View Full Version : Restoro

lowell holmes
11-27-2018, 3:46 PM
Restoro showed up on my computer. I do not know how it got there.

How should I delete it?

Jim Becker
11-27-2018, 3:53 PM
Restoro showed up on my computer. I do not know how it got there.

How should I delete it?
Lowell, you seem to have an unusually high incidence of malware and adware on your computer based on your recent posts. You can try using Malwarebytes to remove things yourself, but given what I first mentioned, you may want to get some professional help with eradicating whatever keeps feeding these things to your computer. It's NOT normal to have that happen.

Matt Day
11-27-2018, 4:21 PM
Lowell, you seem to have an unusually high incidence of malware and adware on your computer based on your recent posts. You can try using Malwarebytes to remove things yourself, but given what I first mentioned, you may want to get some professional help with eradicating whatever keeps feeding these things to your computer. It's NOT normal to have that happen.

Agreed.

My dad had a similar thing happen and it was because he was clicking on spam ads on webpages and opening suspicious emails.

I suggest contacting a pro to clean up your computer and being more diligent about what you click on. There are a lot of bad guys on the web!

Tom M King
11-27-2018, 6:06 PM
Boot in Safe Mode with Networking (might say internet-you want to be able to access the internet). Download Spyhunter, and run a scan. Choose to delete whatever it recommends.

To boot in Safe Mode, turn computer off, then back on while continually pressing the F8 key. You may have to try several times until you get the timing right. A menu will come up with some boot choices. Choose Safe Mode with Networking, or Safe Mode with internet if it's available.

Roger Feeley
11-28-2018, 10:23 AM
I find that it's sort of a downward spiral if you start clicking ads. Say you find some article (clickbait) that looks interesting that leads you to another site. Often, it's something like ZergNet. If you look at the article, it's probably ok but don't click on anything from that. I've found the ads on major sites like CNN to be fairly safe. But if you click on an article by "our partners" or from "around the internet", beware.

If I am the least bit suspicious (and I often am), I will not click on the add in a site but search for the company independently. I tend to trust ads on Sawmill Creek or other sites that have something to lose. If we all got malware from Laguna, it would get fixed pretty quickly.

Chuck Wintle
11-28-2018, 2:11 PM
I will second the recommendation to get some professional help. You seem not to have enough computer savvy to deal with the problem you are seeing.

lowell holmes
11-28-2018, 2:17 PM
I googled Restoro and found how to delete it. I got rid of it and my computer is fresh again.

James Waldron
11-28-2018, 4:16 PM
I googled Restoro and found how to delete it. I got rid of it and my computer is fresh again.

Good for you, Lowell. ('Til next time.) I agree you've been your own worst enemy by clicking where you should not. Maybe read up on protecting yourself and your computer from malware by understanding about detecting suspicious links and NOT CLICKING. This should not happen often - or ever - if you will invest and hour or so learning about these things.

I can recommend the free version of Malwarebytes AntiMalware, aka "MBAM" as being a good way to get rid of these sorts of things should you need them. Go to https://www.malwarebytes.com/ After it's installed, you need to run a scan around once a week or whenever you get contaminated as you did with the Restoro thing. The paid version is better, blocking them in real time, but if you learn to be more careful, the freeware version should be okay.

lowell holmes
11-30-2018, 10:01 PM
I used the free version and so far, it is clean.

lowell holmes
12-01-2018, 10:36 AM
The computer is still clean this morning.

lowell holmes
12-02-2018, 5:37 PM
The computer is still clean this morning.
I did use Malwarebytes. It's been two days since I repaired the computer.
If it crops up again, I will destroy the computer and start over.
OBTW, I don't frequent the site some of you are mentioning.