PDA

View Full Version : What To Be Sure To Look For?

George Summers
11-30-2005, 10:12 AM
OK, so I'm going Saturday to look at the HF lathe:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26821

Now what do I look for? So far I will look at the machine running in all speeds, looking for smoothness. I know that the headstock center and the tailstock center should match very very closely. I will check the rotation of the headstock. I will check the operation of the toolrest/banjo for smoothness and 'lockability'. Is there any other areas of a lathe that need to be looked at closely when evaluating the purchase of a used machine? Never having had a lathe, I want to be sure to check all that needs to be checked so I have less chance of a surprise later.

George

Carole Valentine
11-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Probably the best thing you can do is take an experienced turner with you along with some sharp tools and a chunk of wood! Let him examine the machine and test it out. Probably not possible but just thought I'd throw that out there....

John Hart
11-30-2005, 4:22 PM
Generally, at HF, they'll have a demo model set up with all the screws loose and the one you buy will be in a box that they'll throw in your truck and you'll have to assemble it later. At least, that's the way it is at my local HF.

George Summers
11-30-2005, 4:32 PM
John -

I'm buying this used.

George

John Hart
11-30-2005, 4:43 PM
Oh...In that case, I agree with Carole that she should drive down and help you out! :p

But then...if that isn't possible, a couple of things I would check is the condition of the tail stock, threads, movement etc. Ensure that the bed is in good condition. Condition of the belt, bearings, wiring. Make sure there's no lateral slop in the rotating members....but this is all general tool stuff.
That lathe is very quiet so I would listen to it as well.

I'll ask my BIL if he's noticed anything else on his and get back to you with it.

Tony Sizemore
11-30-2005, 4:48 PM
I have the same lathe I think you are talking about http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34706 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34706)
If this is the one you are looking for, I can say it has been a nice starter for the money. If you can wait for a little while you can get it on sale for about $200 bucks, but if your like me and have to have it NOW go get it.
I can tell you that I have done almost anything I wanted with it. I have turn platters, bowls, small howl forms and spindle work. I think my biggest complete with it would be that the head moves if you get an unbalanced piece on it.
I did not use the legs that came with it. I think that it would a lot less stable then what I did. If you are interested I could send you the plans I went by for the table. The center beam the runs under the table is full of 100 lbs of sand so it doesn’t move “much”.
Good lucky.

Tony Sizemore
11-30-2005, 4:54 PM
Sorry I haven't got this figured out yet. Here is my setup...

George Summers
11-30-2005, 5:58 PM
I have the same lathe I think you are talking about if this is the one you are looking for, I can say it has been a nice starter for the money. If you can wait for a little while you can get it on sale for about $200 bucks, but if your like me and have to have it NOW go get it.
FONT]
Good lucky.

Tony -

Buying used (from my initial post)

First, I have never done turning. I have a chance (if it is still available) to get a HF 34706 3/4HP 12" swing with additional scroll chuck (whatever that is and extra faceplates) for $180.

George

George Summers
11-30-2005, 6:00 PM
Oh...In that case, I agree with Carole that she should drive down and help you out! :p

I'll ask my BIL if he's noticed anything else on his and get back to you with it.

John -

I agree. Carole should come down and check it out with me. Its only about 4-5 hour each way.

George

OOPS - Just looked at a map - probably closer to 6 hours each way.

Carole Valentine
11-30-2005, 6:10 PM
Um...you will notice I said an "experienced" turner should go with you. That sort of automatically lets me out even if we lived next door! LOL

Jim Becker
11-30-2005, 6:57 PM
George, my first lathe was the 34706 and it worked fine. It's an older design (nearly identical to the Jet 1236) and really best for spindle work, but you can turn bowls and vessels on it as long as you don't try and go too large. (Minimum speed is still up there at 300 rpm and it's a somewhat lightweight tool)