PDA

View Full Version : Have a (newer) Stanley 92 shoulder plane, should I go large or "upgrade" my current 3

matt nexgen
11-27-2018, 2:28 PM
I have a Stanley 92 that I have been using to clean up shoulders and squaring corners on some of my projects, I have a Lee Valley gift card from their Cyber Monday sale (missed all the planes). I have been eyeing their shoulder planes for a while now, but I am not sure if I should "upgrade" my 92 since it is around the same size as the LV medium, or if I should get the large model. I have looked at various forums and noted that many people recommend the medium, however some say go big. Looking for input and opinions based on my current situation. If it helps, I plan on making some small to medium boxes/chest/cabinets, as well as some more furniture items in the future (to include a dining room table), and am looking to clean up the M&Ts on them with the shoulder plane.

Jim Koepke
11-27-2018, 2:51 PM
My shoulder plane is a #93. If your #92 is working well, then a plane of a different, larger, size might be beneficial.

There are other planes you might find more helpful for building boxes, chest, cabinets and other furniture items.

Do you have a plow plane? Those are very helpful to make grooves for box and chest bottoms, not to mention drawers.

Do you have other rabbet planes? They can be handy for trimming tenons depending on how big you are making your tenons.

jtk

matt nexgen
11-27-2018, 3:29 PM
Thank you for your reply, I have a Stanley 55 that I have used to cut rabbets and grooves with, its not ideal but it gets the job done, and it justifies my purchase :) (those planes are just so dang neat, I had to have one). I also picked up a Stanley 190 (without the depth guide) recently for $5 have yet to use it but I have cleaned it up and sharpened the iron. The LV plow plane (as well as the combo plane) was a consideration before I purchased the 55, I dont see it on the product page for the plow plane, but I would assume the 55 cutters would work in it?

Jim Koepke
11-27-2018, 5:08 PM
Here is a post that includes a bit about the use of Stanley blades in the Veritas Small Plow Plane:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251419

The Veritas Combination Plane is a bit bigger and from what has been posted works better with the Stanley blades.

jtk

matt nexgen
11-27-2018, 5:18 PM
Thank you for the info, wondering if it might be worth "upgrading" to the combination plane and selling off everything except the cutters from the 55 :) Since I don't really "need" another shoulder plane right now I could put the gift card toward that instead. Not sure how much of an "upgrade" it would be over the Stanley though.

Jim Koepke
11-27-2018, 6:41 PM
Many of the cutters for the #55 will not work in a plane that doesn't have an adjustable skate. Combination planes like the Stanley #45 and the Veritas Combination plane need to have cutters that are symmetrical in how they align to the skates.

The Veritas Small Plow Plane and the Veritas Combination Plane are more refined and likely much easier to set up than either a Stanley #45 or a #55.

Sometimes it is handy to have more than one combination plane when working on a project so they can be set for different tasks.

jtk

matt nexgen
11-27-2018, 7:04 PM
Many of the cutters for the #55 will not work in a plane that doesn't have an adjustable skate. Combination planes like the Stanley #45 and the Veritas Combination plane need to have cutters that are symmetrical in how they align to the skates.

The Veritas Small Plow Plane and the Veritas Combination Plane are more refined and likely much easier to set up than either a Stanley #45 or a #55.

Sometimes it is handy to have more than one combination plane when working on a project so they can be set for different tasks.

jtk

That means some of the 55 cutters would not work well in the LV combo plane I assume, since I am not seeing that it has an adjustable skate like the 55, I might be missing something though :) I have heard that these newer planes are less finicky, and I do think the idea of having two combo planes set up for different task is a good idea now that you mention it.

Jim Koepke
11-28-2018, 12:39 AM
I have heard that these newer planes are less finicky

The abilities of designing and machining metal have improved since the days of Stanley's line of planes. The Veritas has more attention to ergonomics and ease of use than a design evolving out of the late 19th century.

I do think the idea of having two combo planes set up for different task is a good idea now that you mention it.

My Stanley #50 was acquired at a good price. It is set up with a 1/4" plowing blade for drawers and boxes. At one time when it seemed like everything needed a side bead, one of my #45s was set up as a dedicated side bead plane.

jtk

lowell holmes
11-28-2018, 12:41 PM
I would get it. We all know woodworkers need one of each.:)

matt nexgen
11-28-2018, 6:09 PM
I would get it. We all know woodworkers need one of each.:)

But which one?? lol :)