PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note on shipping teak

Malcolm Schweizer
11-27-2018, 2:25 PM
I bought some teak for a boat I'm building. It is a gorgeous piece of 76" x roughly 12". I laid out my part, and suddenly I realized that there are boards nailed on each end of the teak. I thought maybe it was some weird way to prevent checking, which didn't really make sense.

Another boatbuilder enlightened me- The reason for the end cap is that you can't ship raw teak lumber (Can't remember if it was an export issue at origin or a US import issue), so they nail a piece on either end and ship them as bookshelves. I was told that sometimes they will put a rabbet on each end in lieu of the nailed strip.

I thought it was amusing.

Bradley Gray
11-27-2018, 2:34 PM
clever bunch those woodworkers

Van Huskey
11-27-2018, 2:47 PM
Quite interesting.

Mark Wooden
11-27-2018, 2:48 PM
I've heard of the desired lumber being used to line the insides of shipping crates and as support shelves inside of shipping containers. Someone told me they used to 'smuggle' rosewood into the U.S. that way

Gary Ragatz
11-27-2018, 2:52 PM
They call it "tariff engineering." One of the better-known examples is the cargo vans Ford manufactures in Europe. For the ones exported to the States, they put in side windows and a row of cheap seats so they can be imported as passenger vehicles (2.5% tariff vs. 25% for cargo vans). As soon as they clear Customs, a crew tears out the seats, repairs the holes in the floor, and replaces the side windows with metal panels - voila!- it's a cargo van again. US Customs has tried to stop it, but so far, I believe they've been unsuccessful.

I'd guess that with all the new tariffs being imposed, a lot of companies are trying to be "creative."

Malcolm Schweizer
11-27-2018, 3:10 PM
They call it "tariff engineering." One of the better-known examples is the cargo vans Ford manufactures in Europe. For the ones exported to the States, they put in side windows and a row of cheap seats so they can be imported as passenger vehicles (2.5% tariff vs. 25% for cargo vans). As soon as they clear Customs, a crew tears out the seats, repairs the holes in the floor, and replaces the side windows with metal panels - voila!- it's a cargo van again. US Customs has tried to stop it, but so far, I believe they've been unsuccessful.

I'd guess that with all the new tariffs being imposed, a lot of companies are trying to be "creative."

That is interesting. I deal a lot with customs in many countries. I saw them break open a custom carved statue worth thousands of dollars to make sure there were no drugs in it. There weren't. They refused to reimburse the shipper for the damages. This was US Customs, by the way.

John K Jordan
11-27-2018, 4:18 PM
Another boatbuilder enlightened me- The reason for the end cap is that you can't ship raw teak lumber (Can't remember if it was an export issue at origin or a US import issue), so they nail a piece on either end and ship them as bookshelves.

I did that when bringing back a beautiful piece of 2" thick Olivewood from Italy. You can't bring back "raw" wood but you can bring back something made from wood.

A friend's friend found a nice piece in his stash but it was rough sawn with bark on one side. I had him cut it into a rectangle, sand all sides smooth, put a small radius on each edge, and apply some oil. I brought this nice, heavy cutting board back to the US in my suitcase. I cut it into 2x2 and smaller squares for woodturning.

When Richard Casey visited he said he couldn't take back to Australia a turning blank with a bug hole, bit of bark, spalting, or various defects. I think the fear was it might harbor some disease.

JKJ

Yonak Hawkins
11-27-2018, 4:20 PM
Is this method an end run around measures to preserve endangered wood species ?

Brad Shipton
11-27-2018, 4:27 PM
I bought a piece of imported wood from a supplier a few years ago. The pieces had clearly been run through a moulder with a single relief cut near one edge. When I asked about this I was told they could only import this species if it was a "value added" good.

Malcolm Schweizer
11-27-2018, 4:31 PM
Is this method an end run around measures to preserve endangered wood species ?
I believe it may be more to avoid tariffs on raw wood. They do allow teak to be imported as far as I know.

Mikail Khan
11-27-2018, 6:14 PM
Done to prevent raw materials from being exported to help local furniture manufacturers.

Governments would like value added before export.

MK

Wayne Lomman
11-27-2018, 10:35 PM
I did that when bringing back a beautiful piece of 2" thick Olivewood from Italy. You can't bring back "raw" wood but you can bring back something made from wood.

A friend's friend found a nice piece in his stash but it was rough sawn with bark on one side. I had him cut it into a rectangle, sand all sides smooth, put a small radius on each edge, and apply some oil. I brought this nice, heavy cutting board back to the US in my suitcase. I cut it into 2x2 and smaller squares for woodturning.

When Richard Casey visited he said he couldn't take back to Australia a turning blank with a bug hole, bit of bark, spalting, or various defects. I think the fear was it might harbor some disease.

JKJ

Yes, Australia has strict quarantine laws regards raw wood products. As an island we are able to keep out troublesome pests. Hence we still have healthy bees, no rabies or mad cow disease and our forests are still there. Cheers

Bill Dufour
11-27-2018, 11:17 PM
I was surprised to read about the runaway iron ore train in Australia. It was running raw ore to be shipped to other countries. I would have thought the government would have required they build a steel plant with paid workers and only ship out steel not ore like a backwards third world country.

Keith Westfall
11-27-2018, 11:35 PM
Years ago my Sister and Hubby were in Singapore (I think) and wanted to ship some teak back to Canada. They were told they couldn't, but if the wanted to make crates to ship their other stuff back, they could make all the crates they wanted out of teak. Company was paying - they had lots of crates!!

Bill Dufour
11-28-2018, 12:03 AM
My brother worked in a school district auto shop. They had a chain hoist that had been evacuated from the Philippines before the Japanese invaded. He gave the mohagony 2x6 crate to my brother to use for furniture making.

Wayne Lomman
11-28-2018, 2:30 AM
I was surprised to read about the runaway iron ore train in Australia. It was running raw ore to be shipped to other countries. I would have thought the government would have required they build a steel plant with paid workers and only ship out steel not ore like a backwards third world country.

Has anyone had a look recently at which country is top of the list in the world for average personal wealth or had a look why Australian steel is exempt from US import tariffs? No? Might be worthwhile before making comparisons with third world countries. Cheers

Edwin Santos
11-28-2018, 3:42 AM
Has anyone had a look recently at which country is top of the list in the world for average personal wealth or had a look why Australian steel is exempt from US import tariffs? No? Might be worthwhile before making comparisons with third world countries. Cheers

Well thanks to your post, I just had a look, and what I learned was interesting, thank you.
Edwin

Lee Schierer
11-28-2018, 8:38 AM
Years ago, while I was on active duty I was being transferred to a new duty station. I had some really old cherry lumber that I wanted to move. The moving company inspector wasn't going to allow it to be shipped. When the moving crew showed up to do the packing the leader called it shelving and they wrapped it up and put it on the truck.

Bill Dufour
11-28-2018, 9:39 AM
I did not mean to imply Australia was a third world country. I was just wondering why they did not build a steel mill and get more high paying jobs for the country. It may have to do with all the fuel to run a mill would have to be imported from somewhere.
I understand USA west coast paper mills are closing down and the logs are being shipped to Asia where they will pay their own people to make the paper. The old growth lumber is gone and the high pay timber jobs are being replaced by low pay seasonal tourist jobs. Or they grow Marijuana in the woods which some counties can be 25% of the economy or more.
Bill D

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/opinion-raw-log-shipments-cost-forest-industry-jobs

John Goodin
11-28-2018, 9:39 AM
Malcolm,
Now you can say you built this beautiful boat with some reclaimed parts from a bookcase. It will make a good story.

roger wiegand
11-28-2018, 1:34 PM
Given the history of devastation by introduced species from Dutch Elm disease, chestnut blight, and gypsy moths to the more recent Emerald Ash Borer and Asian Longhorned Beetle one would be well advised to be careful about importing wood. Those rules are there for pretty good reasons.

Malcolm Schweizer
11-28-2018, 2:09 PM
Malcolm,
Now you can say you built this beautiful boat with some reclaimed parts from a bookcase. It will make a good story.

Well, actually the rudder and part of the rudder stock are going to be from reclaimed Ipe from a high-end yachtie boat dock that DID NOT need to be replaced. If they had just sanded it, it would have looked just like new!!!

I pegged the Ipe along with thickened epoxy because it doesn't take well to gluing. It will also be fiberglass encapsulated and have bronze drifts. I did a test piece of just the ipe and glue and it held up to a hammer blow. I wanted Ipe for strength in case of accidental strikes.

Wayne Lomman
11-28-2018, 4:24 PM
Australia does have steel mills. It just has way more iron ore than we can possibly use and it is high grade. As to high paid jobs, mining is the high paying jobs. An entry level production operator gets $100K+. Fuel to run the mills is coal which Australia also has in considerable quantities but this is changing to solar. A read of what Liberty Steel are doing in Whyalla, South Australia is where the future lies with steel production. Those of us still working in manufacturing would like to see government do more to support the industry, but whenever did a government do enough for everyone... Cheers