PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast Lathe No Go

Mike Wilkins
11-30-2005, 9:33 AM
Recently got a pre-owned Woodfast Lathe, Model 410. It is the variable speed unit. Got it cleaned up, repainted, new plug, and some wishful thinking for some wood spinning and chips flying. Plug it in and nothing. Checked all that a non-electrician could check and still no go. If anyone in turning-land has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks.
And there is no overload reset button either.

Bart Leetch
11-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Check the switch or replace it.

Steve Clardy
11-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Check all connections.
I assume you have power at the receptacle?

Mike Wilkins
11-30-2005, 2:37 PM
Since I got this machine from a tool dealer, it did not come with an owners manual. When I get one from Craft Supplies, I will check the wiring diagram and any trouble shooting tips before I let out a few cuss words.
And I did check the connections; this may be obvious, but it has happened before to me more than once. Thanks guys.
I'll just work on some flat work in the meantime.

John Hart
11-30-2005, 4:03 PM
Mike...Can you provide a picture of the motor and maybe give some details about how the speed is varied? The picture of the motor would be very helpful.

My reason for asking is that I would like to know if it is a DC motor driven by an SCR circuit or whether it is an AC motor driven by constant AC with a mechanical speed control, or finally, whether it is a variable AC feed to an AC motor.

Bart Leetch
11-30-2005, 6:43 PM
Why don't you figure out how to run a jumper across the switch terminals or at least use a volt meter to check if your getting current on the out put side of the switch. I have had 3 machines that have had this problem. I replaced the switch or took the switch apart & cleaned the contacts inside. Everything else was fine. Try the simplest thing first.