PDA

View Full Version : workshop 3000

jeff oldham
11-26-2018, 9:34 AM
has anybody had any experience with the workshop 3000 sharpening their lathe tools and could provide me with some info on how you like it,,,thank you

Steve Eure
11-26-2018, 10:07 AM
I bought the WorkSharp 3000 to originally use on my bench chisels. I then found the tool bar assembly, (no longer available), at Woodcraft. Using the Tormec jigs, I find it to be a very versatile machine. I can sharpen all my turning tools with it and it does a great job. I lamented purchasing the WorkSharp or a slow speed bench grinder with all the tools needed to go that route and price wise its about the same.
The machine has been flawless and puts a very nice edge on the tools.
The Tormec jigs I use are the SVD-110 Tool Rest, SVS-50 Multi-Jig, and the SVD-186 Gouge Jig. Be mindful if you want to use the Tormec jigs, you will try and find the Tool rest assembly that WorkSharp use to offer. I called WorkSharp and they advised me to call some of the Woodcraft stores to see if they had any left in stock. I found one in Atlanta and the store manager shipped it to me the same day.
I think you would be happy with this versatile machine if you can find the jigs and tool rest that will work.
There are a few videos on the web where some built their own platforms to work instead of buying the tool rest. One that comes to mind is Stumpy Nubs video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU9WecxUFfw
Hope this helps you.
Steve

Rafe Grigar
12-02-2018, 3:35 PM
Same experience as above!

Steven Ganci
12-02-2018, 9:59 PM
I agree with the above posts. Using inexpensive 6 inch diamond discs (from Amazon - 80 to 240 grits for shaping and 400 to 1000 grits for honing) over the glass disc produces a repeatable, flat mirror-like bevel. Setting up a CBN system would have cost hundreds but using the Worksharp I already had lets me produce a very good edge for finishing cuts. The tormek jig is great.