PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley's Cyber Monday sale - what did you get?

Aaron Rosenthal
11-26-2018, 12:46 AM
The Cyber Monday sale is 35 minutes old as I write this, and I'm finished (not "done" - I'm Canadian) and checked out. Budget spent.
Got a large shoulder plane to go with my medium one, and a #4 bevel down, plus a 14 deg dovetail marker and a $500.00 gift card.
Had to pass on the Bevel up jointer and the the #6 fore plane since I have a Record jointer as well as a wonderful old (Are you listening in Aus, Stewie?) #6.
Didn't have the guts to add to my Credit Card balance with the shooting plane. Oh well.
Would have liked a right skew rabbet, but only being sold as a pair, so .... I'll look at a 78 or 778 on eBay.
Who scored what?

Gary Focht
11-26-2018, 1:13 AM
I got the shooting plane and a #4 bevel down. Missed out on the medium shoulder plane - it was the first in my basket, but I didn't check out in time :-(

Devon Curtis
11-26-2018, 1:37 AM
Looks like I got your shoulder plane. So, so sorry...

Malcolm Schweizer
11-26-2018, 5:09 AM
Looks like I got your shoulder plane. So, so sorry...

So you’re the culprit. How stinking fast did you check out? It was gone in 60 seconds! (Movie pun intended). Also the mini rabbet planes went rather quick. Missed them as well. I did get the butane burner for warming hide glue and accidentally burning down my shop, and some other nick nack items.

If I lived in Canada, I would probably have sprung for the $1000 gift card. Great way to lower the price on a bandsaw or other large item.

Kory Cassel
11-26-2018, 5:39 AM
The best stuff went so quickly, was looking at the cabinet scraper and it Sold Out like magic before my eyes!

Malcolm Schweizer
11-26-2018, 6:01 AM
The best stuff went so quickly, was looking at the cabinet scraper and it Sold Out like magic before my eyes!

Sorry- that was me. ***edit- The set of 3 scrapers, not the scraper plane.

You know, they should be considerate and make more blemishes each year. (Joking)

Van Huskey
11-26-2018, 6:07 AM
So you’re the culprit. How stinking fast did you check out? It was gone in 60 seconds! (Movie pun intended). Also the mini rabbet planes went rather quick. Missed them as well. I did get the butane burner for warming hide glue and accidentally burning down my shop, and some other nick nack items.

If I lived in Canada, I would probably have sprung for the $1000 gift card. Great way to lower the price on a bandsaw or other large item.

My only "gripe" with the Lee Valley sale is that putting a plane in your cart does not hold it, you have to buy immediately and pay multiple shipping for multiple items for any chance at the blems. I have another hobby that has made scrambles like this and the websites allow your cart to hold the item for 15 minutes so you can get your preselected items in the cart and paid for, after 15 minutes it returns to live inventory if you haven't checked out. I have shifted approaches in order to reduce my anxiety and ensure I get what I want. I simply buy a $1000 gift certificate and use it at the next free shipping deal. You get about 20% off of blems but you get 15% off with the $1k gift card and when combined with free shipping you get a 1st quality (though LV blems are essentially first quality in my eyes) item for essentially the same price with zero stress and have your pick of any item. In the past the gift certificates have offered even better savings but this year the % off is lower so it becomes more of a wash.

I don't know if free shipping works to the USVI so YMMV.

Frederick Skelly
11-26-2018, 6:19 AM
I didnt buy anything this year. But I noticed that the Shooting Planes were sold out in less than 15 minutes. Hope some of you folks were the lucky buyers!

Malcolm Schweizer
11-26-2018, 6:24 AM
My only "gripe" with the Lee Valley sale is that putting a plane in your cart does not hold it, you have to buy immediately and pay multiple shipping for multiple items for any chance at the blems. I have another hobby that has made scrambles like this and the websites allow your cart to hold the item for 15 minutes so you can get your preselected items in the cart and paid for, after 15 minutes it returns to live inventory if you haven't checked out. I have shifted approaches in order to reduce my anxiety and ensure I get what I want. I simply buy a $1000 gift certificate and use it at the next free shipping deal. You get about 20% off of blems but you get 15% off with the $1k gift card and when combined with free shipping you get a 1st quality (though LV blems are essentially first quality in my eyes) item for essentially the same price with zero stress and have your pick of any item. In the past the gift certificates have offered even better savings but this year the % off is lower so it becomes more of a wash.

I figure it might cause issues if they allowed you to hold stuff and then people never checked out. A time limit might work, but that would aid the hoarders. It’s a wash.

The free shipping for me has a limit and they credit up to that amount. Not as good as free, but still good.

Steve Southwood
11-26-2018, 9:50 AM
Didn't see anything I couldn't live without, so I passed on the tools. I did pick up a gift card.

Aaron Rosenthal
11-26-2018, 9:57 AM
Besides the tools, I think you folks who buy the gift cards are the wisest.
Yes, you're fronting the money, but you still get a great deal ongoing as you use the cards for future buys, and with the free shipping, what a deal!
Being in Canada I don't pay the shipping on my incremental buys, but I get the stuff shipped to the store closest to me anyway. It's a 10 minute drive, and I visit the coffee bar AND my lumber supplier who's 2 minutes away at the same time.

Jim Koepke
11-26-2018, 10:23 AM
My big get was an early bedtime and a good night's sleep.

jtk

Simon MacGowen
11-26-2018, 10:32 AM

When I buy concert tickets, after selecting seats, a digital clock tells me how much time is left for me to complete the purchase process. After that, my reserved tickets may not be held for me. I suppose that kind of system would be the best for events like this, but it could be too costly to develop and maintain for smaller businesses.

Regarding multiple shipping charges, I think if one contacts LV customer service, it would combine the orders for a single shipping fee (not necessarily an official policy, but LV is well known to accommodate customers' needs).

I saw that some of the good planes were gone within 10 minutes or so (no more than 15 mins for sure). I had the chance to get any planes within the first 5 minutes, but ended up getting a gift card instead. I was surprised that the DX60 was still available when I woke up (sold out by now) this morning. The shooting plane and the skew rabbet pair were the best deals in my view, but I have had them almost since day 1 they came out.

Simon

Albert Dao
11-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Some of the planes were gone within 3 minutes! I sat there hitting refresh until the sale started, had my items in my cart within a minute and STILL missed out on a scraper plane. Luckily, I scored the jointer I was after and a BU smoother for good measure.

Brian Nguyen
11-26-2018, 11:03 AM
Went into this year's sale needing the RH shooting plane, low angle smoother, large shoulder plane, and the router plane. I got all of it at exactly 12:00am :) Should have gotten the low angle jointer but didn't see it until it was too late. Oh well, something to look forward to for next year. Also didn't see *ANY* chisels this year compared to last year, so that's something to look forward to as well.

The gift card discount of 15% is nice if you don't need anything in this year's sale, but the discounts on the planes (at least the ones that I bought) were 25% or more so even with shipping it's still better than the GC idea.

Simon... thanks for pointing out the combined shipping idea. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call LV and ask!

I was surprised as well that the DX60 lasted as long as it did, compared to the regular low angle version which sold out within 30 minutes. I got a DX as a gift from the wife last year, but contemplated ordering a second one this morning just for the shelves since I've always liked the way it looks. Sold out though, oh well.

Regarding multiple shipping charges, I think if one contacts LV customer service, it would combine the orders for a single shipping fee (not necessarily an official policy, but LV is well known to accommodate customers' needs).

I saw that some of the good planes were gone within 10 minutes or so (no more than 15 mins for sure). I had the chance to get any planes within the first 5 minutes, but ended up getting a gift card instead. I was surprised that the DX60 was still available when I woke up (sold out by now) this morning. The shooting plane and the skew rabbet pair were the best deals in my view, but I have had them almost since day 1 they came out.

Simon

Brian Nguyen
11-26-2018, 11:09 AM
Just called LV Customer Service and sure enough they took off the shipping fee on my second order without any hassle even though the first order already printed out and they couldn't combine both into a single box. Seriously--What a great company, worthy of taking thousands of my money :D

Steven Lee, NC
11-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Just got a Rip Tenon Saw and a gift certificate to spend when free shipping returns, lol

Simon MacGowen
11-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Just called LV Customer Service and sure enough they took off the shipping fee on my second order without any hassle even though the first order already printed out and they couldn't combine both into a single box. Seriously--What a great company, worthy of taking thousands of my money :D

So two separate deliveries with just one shipping charge! Your money well spent, I say.

Simon

Devon Curtis
11-26-2018, 11:57 AM

I was checked out by 12:01. I knew what I was looking for!

Simon MacGowen
11-26-2018, 12:13 PM
I was checked out by 12:01. I knew what I was looking for!

My past experiences told me this (time to complete your check out):

12:05 -- very good chance of getting anything you want
12:10 -- below average chance
12:15 -- game over

Simon

Steven Mikes
11-26-2018, 2:31 PM
Got a Veritas dovetail saw (missed the carcass saw :() and a $1000 gift card :cool:

Matt Lau
11-26-2018, 3:57 PM
I was dickering too long, so missed out on the 1/4" detail rabbet plane.

The other stuff I got: scraper plane/holder (Stanley 80 version), 2 small toolmaker's vise (will be useful for nut slotting and polishing dental work). the socket convertor (3), pipe clamps (for dust collection), locking pliers (I don't have any), p95 masks (we just had a nasty fire this year...anticipating for next year), some caribeners, and a power brick.....i might have bought too much, but can justify all of it.

Some of the others are nice to have, but I can't justify it: shooting plane, DX block plane, size 4 BD smoother.

Hasin Haroon
11-26-2018, 6:08 PM
This year I got a mortar and pestle, adjustable pliers and magnetic straight edge. It says something about how long I've been a LV customer and how much money I've spent there that I could get through this cyber monday sale and not purchase anything made by Veritas...

Jay Aubuchon
11-26-2018, 8:27 PM
I too went the gift card route.

Frederick Skelly
11-26-2018, 8:50 PM
It says something about how long I've been a LV customer and how much money I've spent there that I could get through this cyber monday sale and not purchase anything made by Veritas...

+1. Me too Hasin.

Steven Mikes
11-26-2018, 9:50 PM
My big get was an early bedtime and a good night's sleep.

jtk

Some day I'll have all the tools I could ever need too ;)

Steve Southwood
11-26-2018, 10:34 PM
FYI, it looks like the gift cards are still active, with about an little more than an hour left in the day.

Jason Martin Winnipeg
11-27-2018, 5:30 PM
I picked up a RH shooting plane and a 5 1/4 jack plane, plus a few other little items. I wanted the RH shooting plane the most, so I put that in my cart right away and bought it by itself and just had it shipped to my local store so I didn't have to pay any shipping.

Kurt Cady
11-27-2018, 7:14 PM
I keep hoping for a plow plane or combo. And a set of PMV11 bench chisels. Been waiting a couple years. Hoping that soon the seconds inventory of each are built up. Maybe next year.

Steve Kang
11-27-2018, 8:38 PM
They don't sell bandsaw's and there are exclusions for use on sawstops and festool.

Dan Wolfgang
11-27-2018, 10:17 PM
I threw a LH shooting plane in my cart, excited to finally get one. Then I tried to check out and was told it was gone. Missed it that quick. Grr.

Hasin Haroon
11-27-2018, 11:14 PM
They sell bandsaws in Canada (hence Malcolm’s point about Canada in his post), and there aren’t any exclusions on using the gift cards for Festool or sawstop here as gift cards are essentially equivalent to cash.

Simon MacGowen
11-28-2018, 1:21 AM
They sell bandsaws in Canada (hence Malcolm’s point about Canada in his post), and there aren’t any exclusions on using the gift cards for Festool or sawstop here as gift cards are essentially equivalent to cash.

Did not have time to read the small print while doing the checkout (who had?), but I think last year's Cyber Monday Day cards could not be used for Sawstop and Festool. They could not be redeemed for cash either.

Simon

David Bassett
11-28-2018, 2:00 AM
Did not have time to read the small print while doing the checkout (who had?), but I think last year's Cyber Monday Day cards could not be used for Sawstop and Festool. They could not be redeemed for cash either.

Simon

Yes, there are some restrictions:

Limit one card per customer
Redeemable on future purchases, excluding Festool® and SawStop products
Can be redeemed on orders placed online, by phone, by mail or at our retail stores in Canada
Sale price applies to our special event cards only
(sale does not apply to electronic gift cards)
Gift cards do not expire
Gift cards cannot be redeemed for cash
Discounted gift cards cannot be used to purchase other discounted gift cards

at least the US cards.

Rob Lee
11-28-2018, 2:27 PM

Simon

While it says they cannot be redeemed for cash - that really pertains to the face value. You can always get refunded for what you paid from us. In the case of a discounted gift card, the refund of an unused amount would be proportional to what was paid. That's only fair.....

Cheers -

Rob

Malcolm Schweizer
11-28-2018, 3:47 PM
Checking our credit card and I see a charge equal to the discounted gift card on Nov 26, and it wasn't me. So- I know what one of my Christmas presents is!!!! Looks like she took the hint. (Note: Hint was "Hey honey- go to LeeValley dotcom and you can save today only on the gift card that you need to get for me for Christmas" not exactly subtle!)

Greg Parrish
11-28-2018, 5:47 PM
Nice. And you’ve probably been checking every 15 minutes for days just to make sure no unauthorized transactions show up :)

Dan Schocke
11-28-2018, 5:51 PM
I was able to get a tenon saw and a #4 smooth plane (for some reason just never bought a smoother before) along with a gift card. The only thing sold out when I ordered was the set of skew rabbet planes, but I feel guilty a.) buying a lot of stuff for myself during holiday sales and b.) buying more than one of the "good stuff" so I just limit myself and tell stories of what could have been.

I was disappointed that there weren't any bench chisels this year... I got a 1/4" A2 chisel last year and I love it. Even though I started my collection with PM-V11 chisels, I would take either at this point. If I don't find any "must have" tools before the next free shipping offer I'll probably burn the gift card on these.

--Dan

Simon MacGowen
11-28-2018, 7:56 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Rob.

Looking forward to next year's CMS already!;)

Simon

Tyler Bancroft
12-17-2018, 1:02 PM
Just out of curiosity, does Lee Valley run a Boxing Day sale?

Rob Lee
12-17-2018, 1:14 PM
Just out of curiosity, does Lee Valley run a Boxing Day sale?

Hi Tyler -

There is a store only clearance event after Christmas..... stock will be different in each store. If you're not signed up for email notifictaions, I'd recommend you do so. You are in full control of what you receive from us, and your email address is not shared...

Cheers -

Rob

Tyler Bancroft
12-17-2018, 2:26 PM
Hi Tyler -

There is a store only clearance event after Christmas..... stock will be different in each store. If you're not signed up for email notifictaions, I'd recommend you do so. You are in full control of what you receive from us, and your email address is not shared...

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Rob,
What's that, you say? Don't wait until after Christmas to order the new Rikon bandsaw? Well, if you insist...
Cheers,
Tyler