PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
11-26-2018, 12:15 AM
26 Nov 2018

Greetings,
Well, it's been a Thanksgiving week for me and my family. Put a turkey in the smoker that turned our really good and had great times with family and friends. I was off work all week but I pickup at work with oncall duty at 08:00 hours today (Monday). Tuesday, I go to get fitted and trained on how to use hearing aids that I'm having to get due to hearing loss. Also had to replace our refrigerator and dishwasher as they went out on us over the past 1.5 weeks. Fridge went first and then the day before Thanksgiving, the dishwasher went out. So now it's $5K for hearing aids, $$$ for a replacement fridge, and then $$$ again for a replacement dishwasher. Ok, now I'm tired thinking about all this and maybe I need to go back to work so I can pay for all this stuff. BTW, it also pays to have good health care insurance as they as covering a good part of the hearing aid cost.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Rod Sheridan
11-26-2018, 8:32 AM
I got the Christmas lights put up and I went to the lumber supplier to pick up some red oak veneered plywood.

They have a new crosscut chainsaw, about 6 or 7 feet long with a 20 HP four stroke Honda engine on it. They use it for cutting timbers to length.

I could really have used it a few weeks ago to cut firewood :D

Jim Becker
11-26-2018, 9:09 AM
Dennis, we celebrated the Thanksgiving meal with our close friends nearby as we do most years. It was a smaller crowd now that their kids have their own families, but that meant good conversation along with the normal "over stuffing". :)

A good part of my woodworking activity this past week was working on CNC produced boxes and holiday ornaments. This was all two-sided machining with 3D profiles and I'm happy with the results. The general idea is to get "some things" that I can offer all the time, both online and with a local retailer, to fill in the time between commissions. I'm pleased with the results and will be doing a little more of the same this week. All of the small stuff is cut from recycled Tigerwood deck material scraps and the two larger (heart and square) boxes are from cherry. What I do like about this stuff is that I can use materail that would otherwise be of little value for larger projects as well as material that features sapwood and other things. The technique I used was more or less the same for both the boxes and the ornaments.

Small boxes ~4"
397474 397477 397475 397476 397478
Large heart box ~6"
397479 397480
Ornaments ~3.5"

Charles Taylor
11-26-2018, 9:51 AM
Visited family out of town for Thanksgiving Wednesday through Friday last week. On Saturday, ran a 31"x72" walnut desktop glue-up through my Performax 22-44, which reminds me every time I use it that it is one of my most unsatisfactory machine purchases. I've never been able to persuade the conveyor to track straight.

Sunday after church got some of the outside Christmas decorations put up and worked the desktop over with the ROS for a while. Once I trim it to final length, treat the edges, and do some final sanding, this goes to a buddy who will make a steel frame for the desk for his son.

Lisa Starr
11-26-2018, 12:00 PM
Spent Thanksgiving Day cooking and sharing the meal with my family. Worked in my shop as much as my energy levels allow on Friday assembling the carcases for our son's Christmas gift. He's been talking about a peninsula cabinet in his kitchen, so I'm building it. I cut the doors on Saturday and got the cup holes drilled. Sunday I split plywood for our daughter's gift. She just graduated from college and wants a large bookcase, so I'm making that as well. I also mounted the doors on son's project to test fit. The biggest impediment most of the time is my decreased energy levels.

Jay Larson
11-26-2018, 12:05 PM
Went to both sides on Thursday for Thanksgiving. Had enough to eat that I did not eat lunch on Friday...
Friday we went to take a look at some new vehicles. Went to a couple of dealers, and found a couple we like. Saturday we decide to take a bit of a road trip to a dealer that is an hour away. We had three that we had picked out, so we weren't too worried about not being able to see one. And it was through a part of WI that we hadn't been through for a while. Well, we go there and started talking to the salesperson. He went to look for the first one, and came back about 15 minutes later with the key. Then he left for another 10 minutes to find the car. Came back with the story that it was out as a loaner. OK, on to vehicle #2. Off he goes for anothe 10 minutes, only to come back with the story that they hadn't received it from the auction company yet. This is getting interesting. So he says he knows car #3 is on the lot, so we go to take a look at it. We go to the back of the lot, and he goes, "wait, it was right there..." So we walk around a bit and it is in a different section of the lot. So off he goes to find the keys... I don't know how long it took for him to find them, as we left after about 15 minutes. All was not lost as we stopped at a bar on the way back and met with my fiancee's father for supper.

Yesterday I got everything set up and glued up the cabinet for the tantalus that I am making. Then I started getting the pieces cut for tantalus #2, and #3. One out of cherry, and the other out of QS oak.

Jim, those look like they would sell pretty good. Do you have a routine that follows the edge to make the lip, or do you have to set the shape and then cut out the rest afterwards?

Jim Becker
11-26-2018, 1:25 PM
Jim, those look like they would sell pretty good. Do you have a routine that follows the edge to make the lip, or do you have to set the shape and then cut out the rest afterwards?

Depending on the specific object, I either pre-relieve the edge with a round-over on the profile for most of the boxes or in the case of the ornaments, do my final cutout (with tabs) such that it just kisses the edge of the 3D graphic. The larger heart box only has the round-over on the bottom as the3D heart face, which is a subtle convex contour, meets the box edge and I just ease the edge prior to finishing.

Dan Baginski
11-27-2018, 8:21 AM
Wow those boxes are fantastic.

Did dinner with the fam on Thursday. Had to work Friday and all weekend. Going to continue in the entertainment center today and hopefully get some mortises cut and do some dry assembly.