PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone waste bin sealing.

Martin Wasner
11-25-2018, 3:57 PM
I read plenty of horror stories about air leaking from somewhere beneath the cyclone. I recently purchased a Oneida cyclone and would like to limit debris getting to the filters.

So whats the best way to ensure that nothing is leaking? I was just going to hose clamp everything, and I'm guessing that is adequate, but just wanted to check. I'd think using silicone wouldn't be fruitful, but I could be wrong. Thin layer of foam tape? The drum should be pretty easy to keep sealed up.

Any good ways to test for leaks?

I've got about 7' of flex hose between the steal drum and the bottom of the cyclone. I don't think the length has much to do with anything. I mounted the collector to a section of pallet racking to get it up out of the way and to give the inlet as straight a shot as possible to the machine. There's only about 20' of pipe, two very gradual bends (15 degree tops), and then a welded swept 90 down to the flex hose connected to the gantry. It should have as little resistance as possible. The other reason was at some point I'll have somebody weld me up a box on casters that I can grab with the forklift for emptying. I think I can get it up around 2yds of capacity and not loose any important floor space.

Steve Jenkins
11-25-2018, 4:46 PM
If you use foam tape be sure it is “closed cell” it will say that on the package.

Jim Becker
11-25-2018, 5:06 PM
The clamps on the hose between the cone and the barrel lid are just fine as long as you crank 'em tight. If you are using the barrel/lid from Oneida, it will clamp leak-free, too.

Martin Wasner
11-25-2018, 5:40 PM
The clamps on the hose between the cone and the barrel lid are just fine as long as you crank 'em tight. If you are using the barrel/lid from Oneida, it will clamp leak-free, too.

It's all from them. I usually blast clamps on with an impact and tighten them to the point that I think any tighter well incur failure.

Roy Petersen
11-25-2018, 5:46 PM
I'm using a brute 55 gallon, with a wooden top made of 2 pcs of 3/4" birch (what I had on hand) ply, stacked to fit snugly inside and hang out to the edges, forming an inner plug, so to speak. On that overhanging part, I used thick foam tape like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-1-in-x-13-ft-Expand-N-Seal-Foam-Window-Weatherstrip/1000460601

Works perfectly. Just be sure the gap where they meet is really tight, and you'll be fine.

Jim Becker
11-25-2018, 7:27 PM
It's all from them. I usually blast clamps on with an impact and tighten them to the point that I think any tighter well incur failure.
I think you'll be fine.

Frank Pratt
11-26-2018, 12:26 PM
Use a smoke pen, or even just an incense stick to check for leaks. It'll be obvious when you get the smoke close to a leak.