PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Slide Method?

Brian Eaton
11-24-2018, 10:02 PM
Hello! Just to clarify - I recently posted about construction and joinery methods for a desk with drawers - this is for another component of the multi-part project I'm starting to plan.

In addition to a desk I will be making a "mini chest of drawers" that is about 12" wide, 8" tall, and 8" deep. Rather than dado in solid drawer bottom supports or do some kind of frame and panel thing similar to table drawer construction, I saw a project that had wooden guides dado'd into the chest sides and matching grooves in the drawer sides. For the life of me I can't figure out what this joinery method is called but I've found a few projects with photos of what I'm talking about.

Here is one such project: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/322393

I like the idea of drawers mounted like that largely because it would make a continuous grain layout more impactful with multiple drawers.

So, two questions:

1) What is this method/technique called?
2) Where might I find some information on how to execute? (I feel like I understand a process that would obtain me those results but I'd be interested to know a more experienced person's methods.

Thanks!1

Richard Jones
11-25-2018, 3:50 AM
FWW 247 Master Class is a good tutorial. Not sure about an 'official' name.

Jim Koepke
11-25-2018, 11:43 AM
So, two questions:

1) What is this method/technique called?
2) Where might I find some information on how to execute? (I feel like I understand a process that would obtain me those results but I'd be interested to know a more experienced person's methods.

As far as a name for this technique, someone else will have to come up with that.

On information, it is just a spline attached to the vertical walls of the carcass with a slot in the sides. For me it was a way to have a 'hidden' drawer without having any visible support:

The slot was plowed in the drawer sides. My memory is drawing a blank as to whether stopped dados were used to secure the rails or if they were (more likely) attached to the sides with screws. The dimensions of the drawer sides determined the placement of the rails. The drawer can be trimmed lightly with a plane if there is binding against the shelf above.

jtk