PDA

View Full Version : New Front Door

John P Clark
11-24-2018, 6:38 PM

New front door and sidelite - Quarter Sawn White Oak - with the same for threshold - wife would not let me put up the old security door. Door hardware is Hoppe, and the jambs were made from the same material to match the door

George Bokros
11-24-2018, 6:42 PM
Very nice design and excellent craftsmanship.

Jim Becker
11-24-2018, 7:37 PM
That looks really nice, John!

Terry Hatfield
11-24-2018, 8:09 PM
Beautiful work John!!!

John TenEyck
11-24-2018, 8:24 PM
I agree, that is very nice. And if it gets any direct sun exposure you should go thank your wife that she didn't let you put the storm door back on, especially if you used TB III to glue it or the panels up.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
11-24-2018, 8:37 PM
Beautiful! Very nicely done Sir!

Joe Hendershott
11-29-2018, 7:31 PM
Fantastic door! What glass is that you used?

Charlie Jones
11-30-2018, 8:22 PM
Good job. Your visitors and family can see the craftsmanship and style. I good way to display your work.

John P Clark
12-01-2018, 11:10 PM
I will have to get back to you on that - my wife ordered it and she is currently in the hospital

Patrick McCarthy
12-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Fantastic door! What glass is that you used?

Joe, i think it is commonly called “reeded” glass, or at least Marvin did when we ordered it for our bathroom windows.

John, hope your wife has a speedy recovery. Patrick

Phil Mueller
12-02-2018, 3:37 PM
Really nice, John. Great choice on the hardware. Looks like it really complements your home well.

Joe Hendershott
12-04-2018, 7:15 AM
Fantastic door! What glass is that you used? Oh no. Hope all is well soon.

marty fretheim
12-04-2018, 10:38 PM
That's a beautiful door John. I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my entrance door. I think I'll make mine vertical though, that must be a pain to go through being horizontal. Sorry, couldn't resist. I have a bunch of QSWO and the Colorado sun has not been friendly to my door. How did you remove and replace quickly enough to keep the elements out? Very Nice!!

Marty

John P Clark
12-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Marty - build the entire door set - removed the door starting at 10:00 am and had the new one in by 1:00 pm - the only trouble was I used a pemko automatic door sweep and forgot it was adjustable - took a minute to figure out why the door did not close. I used the automatic door sweep because one of my doors likes to attack the bottom of the door and kept ripping off the weather stripping. Having a coupe of friends come help also made sure I could get it done quickly. I used a hoppe three point lock and I am really glad I did - love how it locks

John P Clark
12-05-2018, 10:09 AM
We found out in October that she has cancer - had a major operation last week to remove the tumor and some lymph nodes - should get to go home today and still has radiation and chemo to look forward to. - thank you for asking

Mike Hollingsworth
12-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Hats off!!

Adam Petersen
12-05-2018, 1:29 PM
This is very nice. I am really impressed how nice that finished product looks. This is something I've considered trying for a bit now. I live in the great north and we have a lot of temperature and moisture changes, so it makes me very nervous to follow through with it. Have you made doors like this before or would you have a recommendation of where to go to look for ideas, plans, and most importantly, mistakes to avoid on projects like this? Again, very nice work and details.

John Blazy
12-05-2018, 5:40 PM
Beautiful door! So sorry to hear about your wife. Same happened to my wife too - we took it very hard, but she came through after similar operations. Right in the middle of super busy life - made me more compassionate, but also ruthless and relentless in my current pursuits, while slowing down at same time, as we really don't have much time left.

I love the way the rays jump out on your quartersawn - so easy to chip on corners.

John P Clark
12-07-2018, 8:13 PM
Adam - I have been making doors for over 30 years - not real complicated- get quarter sawn lumber - of clear vertical grain (same thing) with a good material for weather - white oak, Douglas fir, mahogany, red grandis or similar lumber- make sure that all edges are sealed well (top and bottom, sides). As far as the design, pick something out that you like - can find numerous examples on-line at areas such as Simpson doors, etc. The door that I made is with mortise and tenon to hold it together - the tenons are 3-inches long and 3/4 “ thick- you can also pin them so it can not come apart -

best advice, make a door- do not like it, learn and build another

Adam Petersen
12-08-2018, 9:08 PM
Thanks for the advise John. I appreciate it.

William Fretwell
12-17-2018, 11:00 PM
Lovely door to come home to!

Michael Clobes
12-21-2018, 5:25 AM
We found out in October that she has cancer - had a major operation last week to remove the tumor and some lymph nodes - should get to go home today and still has radiation and chemo to look forward to. - thank you for asking

Beautiful door and workmanship. Praying for a quick, easy and full recovery for your wife.