PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening CMT Euro knives-Tormek Jig?

Bob Andre
11-24-2018, 10:16 AM
I need to work on sharpening my shaper HSS insert knives from CMT with 24mm pin spacing. Does anyone have experience with Tormek's SPV80 jig? Or a better method? I have a Supergrind 2000. By hand on my water stones doesn't sounds efficient.

brent stanley
11-24-2018, 10:49 AM
I need to work on sharpening my shaper HSS insert knives from CMT with 24mm pin spacing. Does anyone have experience with Tormek's SPV80 jig? Or a better method? I have a Supergrind 2000. By hand on my water stones doesn't sounds efficient.

Bob, often times a quick lapping on the back will rejuvenate them just fine with only a few swipes. Those cheaper 40mm Euroblock knives aren't that hard and I expect if you have decent sharpening stones you could have it done before you got the SPV80 set-up and attached to the Tormek. I have a diamond plate and it really just takes 10 swipes back and forth even with the much better and harder Whitehill steel I usually use.

B

Bob Andre
11-24-2018, 1:41 PM
Thanks Brent. It won't cost me anything to start out there.

Van Huskey
11-24-2018, 2:19 PM
While I have been doing what Brent suggested I have often wondered about the Tormek jig but I have never seen any feedback on it and it isn't cheap, even by Tormek jig standards.