PDA

View Full Version : Discount Tire Co.

lowell holmes
11-23-2018, 2:54 PM
I have their tires on my F150. I noticed a hole in the sidewall just above the tread line. Today I went to them to have it repaired.
They replaced the tire and charged me $18.00.
I think they deserve a shout out.

Wade Lippman
11-23-2018, 4:55 PM
They replaced the tire?! Did you have a road hazard policy with them?

8 years ago I got a flat tire from a roofing nail about 200ft from a gas station. It was the only gas station within 100 miles (rural Alaska...). You can imagine what I suspected and expected.
He charged me $8 for patching it. I put another 800 miles on it without any problems before returning it to the rental agency.
Seems to me that if he was decent enough to only charge $8, then he probably wasn't malicious enough to scatter roofing nails. But who knows.

Mike Circo
11-23-2018, 5:37 PM
Yep I've had several similar experiences with them. Replaced a tire for the fraction of replacement cost. Patched a nail hole for free. Really great service from them.

John M Wilson
11-23-2018, 8:09 PM
I was recently sitting in the showroom of our local Discount Tire, waiting for them to rotate the tires on my daughter's car.

An older lady walked in, needing some help. She thought she needed 4 new tires, and had cut out an ad for a pretty pricey brand. She didn't have much of a clue about tires, and appeared ripe for someone to take advantage of her lack of experience.

The salesman went out, measured the tread on her tires, came back in with the good news that she only needed two. He patiently explained his reasoning using the big display they have about tire tread depth. He also offered her an option of a much more reasonable tire that was similar to the ones she had on her car, which she gladly jumped at.

I was impressed, because the stereotypical slick salesman type could have gouged her for over $800. She was happy to spend a fraction of that.

The same guy, when later talking on the phone, answered the question "Do you fill your tires with Nitrogen?" with a very sincere "We use a 78% Nitrogen mix" without even cracking a smile.

The way that they have treated me over the years has earned them some brand loyalty from me.

Jerome Stanek
11-24-2018, 7:19 AM
I took my daughter's tire back to MR tire where she bought it from because there was a nail in it. They told me they couldn't fix it and I would have to buy a new one. They said they would give me a discount on it and quoted me a price that was more then she paid originally I took it to my local tire shop and they repaired it $10.00, I never would use them again. I needed 2 trailer tires and looked on line and Walmart had the size and best price but I had to order online and have them shipped to the store where they mounted them and got rid of the old tires for a total of $9.00

John K Jordan
11-24-2018, 1:00 PM
I have their tires on my F150. I noticed a hole in the sidewall just above the tread line. Today I went to them to have it repaired.
They replaced the tire and charged me $18.00.
I think they deserve a shout out.

The level of gratitude might depend on how many miles was on the tire, purchased 100 or 10,000 miles ago, and whether the hole was a factory defect or road damage.

The local WoodCraft lost a good customer (who had spent $15K that year) when the clerk charged me $5 to replace the unused but defective bandsaw blade I'd bought the week before. His reasoning - the price of the blades had gone up in the last week. My level of acceptance might have been different if purchase had been months earlier. Or if the blade had not been defective but I just wanted to return it.

JKJ

lowell holmes
11-24-2018, 11:31 PM
They replaced the tire?! Did you have a road hazard policy with them?

They have road hazard coverage on all of their tires. It is based on the age of the tire.

Perry Hilbert Jr
11-25-2018, 8:11 AM
Tires are a real headache. Mrs. bought a new Mitsubishi. two of the tires had bubbles before the 18,000 mile mark. (one front driver's side , one rear passenger side) The dealer had just done the inspection 4 days earlier and never said a word. We wanted new tires for winter and went to an independent tire discounter near home. To replace the original tires with the same tires would have been over $650. over $725 at the dealer. The fellow at the tire place tells me the tires are so expensive because they are so small and narrow. Popular in other countries with smaller cars, but only used on that model Mitsubishi in the US. He can go up one size wider and get 50,000 mile better brand tires from his supplier for $415 installed. So we went with the better tires. They drive better in the snow than the factory tires ever did. Have lasted almost 45k miles so far and don't show much wear. I have been buying tires from this guy for ten years now. Always great and willing to order anything he does not have in stock. When I need a used tire for my field equipment, he fixes me up and mounts the tire for $15. The tire may be near bald but for running on the hay field it really doesn't matter. For new tires. He always hands us a printed folder with the tire numbers, date of installation, warranty and national list of dealers to put in the glove box, in case of a problem. Never had another dealer do that

Lee Ludden
11-30-2018, 11:03 AM
I'll throw in another shout out for Discount Tire. I always buy my tires from them. A few years ago, I hit some road debris and blew out both drivers side tires. It was early on a Sunday morning, and since Discount isn't open on Sunday, I had to go to Walmart for replacement tires. A few weeks later I was sitting in my local bar, and the guy next to me had a Discount tire shirt on. We got to talking, and I told him I was a customer, and proceeded to tell him the above story.

He asked me to stop in the next day, and replace the two walmart tires with new versions of the same ones I had had before for no charge. He told me he didn't like seeing his customers driving around on cheap tires.

lowell holmes
11-30-2018, 6:39 PM
The damaged tire was new.

Curt Harms
12-01-2018, 5:53 AM
Helpful thread, I never knew about Discount Tire. They ship for free and they're looking promising for 4 new tires. Ship to a local shop, mount & balance for $15 per.

Cary Falk
12-01-2018, 9:44 AM
I will never go to a Discount Tire ever again. I gave them a 2nd chance and they blew that too.

David Helm
12-02-2018, 2:02 PM
If you live in the West there is nothing like Les Schwab Tires. They would have replaced that tire for free. The do it all the time and may be the best loved tire company in the entire country. They also repair tires that were not bought from them. No charge, just think of us when you are due for new tires. I have been buying tires from them for over forty years and would not think of changing.