PDA

View Full Version : HVLP Decisions

Jordan Lane
11-23-2018, 10:24 AM
I am going to invest in a 5 stage HVLP (turbine) system finally to improve my work and opportunities. I am torn between Apollo 5 stage and Fuji 5 stage. I would appreciate opinions on both and briefly why. In other words which is better? Thanks in advance for your help :)

Tom M King
11-23-2018, 10:32 AM
There is one in the classified section, but I have no idea if it's available, or not. Probably two or three pages back. I had an Apollo older model, and don't see any need to have anything any "better". I have no experience with the Fuji, but a lot of people own them. I sold the Apollo several years back, and now just use conversion guns w/pps system for what I used it for.

Bradley Gray
11-23-2018, 11:07 AM
I bought a Fuji gun this year as a replacement for my aging Graco gun. I like it a lot. For me, if I wanted to up productivity I would add a pressure tank. Holding the quart cup gets really tiring if I'm spraying all day plus the tmie saved filling it.

Brian Holcombe
11-23-2018, 11:25 AM
I’m interested to know more about this as well. Curious to know which models you guys prefer and what you are spraying with them.

Bradley Gray
11-23-2018, 12:07 PM
The Fuji is my 3rd HVLP gun in about 30 years. The Graco and Fuji are both good - not sure the Graco is still available and I find the Fuji easier to dial in the spray pattern.

I use the HVLP exclusively for WB - poly and dyes - I use a conventional gun when I need to spray solvent based finishes to avoid contamination.

I leave WB poly (hydrocote) in the gun all the time. About once a month I take it apart and clean it but I like to just turn it on and spray most of the time.

Brian Holcombe
11-23-2018, 1:43 PM
Thank you!

Matt Day
11-23-2018, 1:53 PM
Make sure you guys follow this thread after it gets moved to the finishing forum.

David Zaret
11-23-2018, 7:24 PM
i've sprayed for many years with three different HVLPs - fuji, apollo, and turbinaire, all with PPS cups. a few years ago i upgraded to a proper AAA system built by kremlin. no doubt it's a different league cost-wise, but depending on what you're doing, it may be worth it. the kremlin is night and day to the HVLP in quality and speed. just a consideration.

good luck with your purchase.

-- dz

Jordan Lane
11-23-2018, 7:55 PM
David Zaret ....which did your prefer the apollo or the fuji?

David Zaret
11-23-2018, 8:45 PM
David Zaret ....which did your prefer the apollo or the fuji?

eh, not sure i have a strong preference. both are fine, i think i liked the apollo gun more. no matter what you get, get the PPS system. worth every dime.

Justin Ludwig
11-25-2018, 7:22 AM
That was bad timing. I sold my Graco 9.5 the day before this thread started. Mine was the older version without the improved Edge II Plus gun or the smart start technology.

Knowing what I know about Graco's unit: it's a phenomenal system - the upgrades on the gun and turbine make it phenomenaler (new word). If I had to buy just one system for spraying, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it but it has a very steep price tag.

Knowing what I know - you can get just as good a finish out of a $150 HVLP gravity gun, upgrade it's cup system to DeKups or 3M PPS, buy a nice compressor, buy a 3/8 hose and hi-flow fittings, air filter and regulator and have over $1000 left in your pocket.

Questions to ask yourself: How much do I spray? Do I need jobsite portability? Am I rich? :D Am I spraying extremely viscous materials that would require the CFM of a 5 stage turbine?

Hope this helps!

Tom M King
11-25-2018, 6:44 PM
Jordan, there was a 5 stage top of the line Apollo HVLP listed on a Virginia craigslist today, with little use, and 2/3 cost of new. I forget if it's on the DC, or Richmond CL, but one of those.

Jordan Lane
11-25-2018, 8:08 PM
thanks!!!...i'll check