PDA

View Full Version : Safe way to heat a small room?

Matt Meiser
11-29-2005, 10:22 PM
I want to provide heat to the 6x10x7 office in my shop this winter so that I can store my glues and other items. When I completed the shop, I insulated the walls and ceiling of the office so that I could someday do this. Originally I thought about installing a hardwired electric baseboard, but I've seen some low cost portable heaters that are tempting. The two styles I've looked at are the radiator style line this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=35277-000000803-2507L&lpage=none

or a baseboard style like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=210641-39646-5620&lpage=none

However, I'm wondering if these are safe for 24x7 use? I can't find anything on the respective manufacturers' web sites or the instruction manuals.

Alternately, am I overlooking a low cost, easy heating solution?

Andy Hoyt
11-29-2005, 11:32 PM
I had a deLonghi heater years ago. Worked great, but takes a long time to warm up a room (nature of the design). However, once the room was up to temp it was AOK.

Travis Porter
11-29-2005, 11:40 PM
I have used the radiator one from Lowes. It works, but it sucks power. It will run on a 15 amp circuit, but I would recommend it being a dedicated outlet due to the power draw. Per Andy's earlier post, it applies to the radiator I have as well. I quit using it inside once I added an additional heat pump to the house (which really put me in sticker shock).

Cecil Arnold
11-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Matt, I have the deLonghi in the shop which is 11X23X8 (insulated) and it works fine. I normally turn it on the lowest range, under half the rheostat and it keeps everything dry and the temp. near 65*. I let it run 24x7 starting sometime in December through Feb. While it never as cold here as where you live (everyone panics when it gets to 32*) if you have a small well insulated space it should do the job.

Jamie Buxton
11-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Did you notice Markus Shaffer's post today? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=249913&postcount=1

The problem is that pulling 1500 watts through a plug 24/7 may stress it. After all, it is just spring tension making the contact between the plug and the socket. If you use a portable-type heater only in one place -- which seems like your plan -- you might want to hardwire it instead of relying on the plug-socket connection.

Frank Hagan
11-30-2005, 12:29 AM
You may not need 1500w for a 360 cubic foot space that is well insulated. Choose the one that has three settings, which is the DeLonghi, I think. I suspect you'll be OK with it on 600 or 900 watts.

You should be OK on a regular 120v, 15 amp circuit. AMPS x VOLTS = WATTS, so that circuit has a max carrying capacity of 1800 watts. Even if you have 115v, the circuit can carry 1725 watts, so you're well below the old "10% below" rule of thumb.

Matt Meiser
11-30-2005, 6:49 AM
I hadn't seen Markus's post. Yikes! I did like the fact that the radiator style heater has a 600W setting which I agree would probably do fine. There is a PC in the room which provides some heat as well--enough that it gets hot in there in the summer.

Rob Russell
11-30-2005, 7:34 AM
We have one of those oil-filled radiators in the bathroom in our addition. It ran 24/7 last winter. One thing I note is that the model we have has a Hi-Med-Lo setting in terms of how much current it will draw and a continuously variable (rotary dial) thermostat setting. You might look for a model that has that level of control. Take a look at Home Depot's website and do a search on item #154046. That will bring up a similar type radiator that has a digital thermostat. $60 vs. $40, but I'd say buy it once and get the level of control that you want.

Rob

Steve Clardy
11-30-2005, 11:06 AM
We have the oil filled stand alone heater in our bedroom. high and low setting, rotary temp adjust. 110 volt.
Works just fine, didn't notice a massage use of elec. on the bill either.