PDA

View Full Version : Camera SD cards????

John Terefenko
11-21-2018, 10:34 PM
I have an older Pentax camera that I take photos of my projects with. I ran out of sd cards and it has been awhile since I bought my last one. I am not tuned into all the stuff so thought I would ask??? I looked on line because I can not find in stores any more a 2GB SanDisk card. This is as big as my camera will accept. I see 2gb cards with a class 2 and some with a class 4. What is the difference and can either be used?? Thanks in advance.

Doug Garson
11-21-2018, 11:02 PM
Google is your friend, I think this link answers your question.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/storage/1404380/how-to-choose-an-sd-card-class-and-speed-ratings-explained-and-pick-the-best-microsd

Bill Dufour
11-21-2018, 11:32 PM
Probably on black friday sales at office stores

John Terefenko
11-22-2018, 12:05 AM
Google is your friend, I think this link answers your question.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/storage/1404380/how-to-choose-an-sd-card-class-and-speed-ratings-explained-and-pick-the-best-microsd

Doug that is a very good site. Thanks for the link and now I know a little more than I started. I know what card I need now too. Thanks again.

Stan Calow
11-22-2018, 8:57 AM
you could download all the stuff off the old cards to archive, and reuse the them.

Lee DeRaud
11-23-2018, 1:43 AM
I have an older Pentax camera...Can't help with the SD cards, but I got a chuckle from the idea of an "older Pentax camera" needing one, since both of mine are from 1967. :)

Lee DeRaud
11-23-2018, 1:50 AM
Upon further review, if you have trouble finding cards that small, you might try a larger one (4GB, 8GB etc). As long as the camera has a built-in format function, it will probably work. After formatting, it will show up as a 2GB, but the extra unused space won't hurt anything.

(At least that's how my now-long-dead Minolta treated "oversized" CF cards.)

Jerome Stanek
11-23-2018, 7:22 AM
Can't help with the SD cards, but I got a chuckle from the idea of an "older Pentax camera" needing one, since both of mine are from 1967. :)

Is one of them a Spotmatic That is what I have

Lee DeRaud
11-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Is one of them a Spotmatic That is what I haveBoth of them, actually. One was my first "real" camera, from the Danang BX during my dad's Vietnam tour when I was in high school. I got the other one at a swap meet decades later, possibly from the same source since the serial numbers are only a couple hundred apart. There are a couple of original lenses plus some newer ones I picked up over the years.

They both still worked the last time I checked, but I'm not sure where I'd get film/processing if I wanted to use them, sold my darkroom gear sometime last century. In any case I'm well past my use-by date for humping large quantities of expensive glass around: current (main) camera is a Panasonic FZ1000, hardly pro-quality kit but it would have seemed like science fiction back in those days.