PDA

View Full Version : Quick Release Tail Vise Disadvantages

Steve Kang
11-21-2018, 7:57 PM
Some bench builders forgo the complexity of installing benchcrafted tail vises and instead opt to install quick release front vises in a tail vise configuration. I'm at this same decision point and I'd like to know if there are any downsides of going with this approach? From an ergonomic perspective I don't like how it forces you to use the extreme end of the bench and that your workpiece would be partially unsupported and would hang over an air gap. However I guess you could rig up a batten that's attached to the tail vise, so that you can plane your work in a more central position. Is there anyone who has gone with this approach who would care to comment on upsides and downsides? Is there anything else I need to think about?

Don Dorn
11-21-2018, 8:55 PM
For some reason, a touchy subject. For me, I have a small quick release for a tail vise and large on for a front vice. I used to have a leg vise and while it had depth, I got tired of constant adjustment. Just my opinion of course, but I"ll never go backwards. As to the tail vise, I do quite a bit work with specialty planes such as tongue and groove, beading and ploughs. For the past two benches, I've placed a set of dog holes 4" apart at 3/4" from the front. Combined with the tail vise, I can securely clamp anything close to the front enabling best use of such tools.

Others will disagree and that's fine - we all use what assists our type of woodworking. It's great to get ideas but I urge you to make the determination based on your own style

Prashun Patel
11-21-2018, 10:29 PM
I have a Lee valley Veritas quick release tail vise.

I don’t find that quick release is a big deal. But the nice thing is that it’s designed to be installed on an existing bench. Quite straight forward.

Having used one for a couple years, my opinion is that it’s not so useful as a front vise in any configuration. There is little i do with the tail that I don’t prefer to do with a stop or my leg vise. The pinching that a tail vise does causes flex. It’s also not good at holding wide things.

A face vise however can be used to hold things while sawing so i find it more versatile.

Also a tail vise puts the handle at the front right corner of the bench - a location I wish i could saw at but can’t.

ken hatch
11-21-2018, 10:50 PM
I have a Lee valley Veritas quick release tail vise.

I don’t find that quick release is a big deal. But the nice thing is that it’s designed to be installed on an existing bench. Quite straight forward.

Having used one for a couple years, my opinion is that it’s not so useful as a front vise in any configuration. There is little i do with the tail that I don’t prefer to do with a stop or my leg vise. The pinching that a tail vise does causes flex. It’s also not good at holding wide things.

A face vise however can be used to hold things while sawing so i find it more versatile.

Also a tail vise puts the handle at the front right corner of the bench - a location I wish i could saw at but can’t.

Prashun,

Thanks, I feel like a broken record when questions about tail vises come up. There are better, cheaper, quicker, and easier ways to do most of a tail vise functions. While I know many use their tail vise consistently and if it works for you great but when I build benches I suggest leaving the tail vise off unless there is a need for one.

Steve,

A suggestion. Build a simple bench without a vise in the tail position. If after working on it for awhile you feel a need for one it is an easy mod.

Most tail vise functions can be accomplished using dogs, battens, doe's foots, holdfasts, and stops. All of which work as well and most of the time are faster and and easier to use vs. a tail vise..

ken

Steve Kang
11-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Prashun,

A suggestion. Build a simple bench without a vise in the tail position. If after working on it for awhile you feel a need for one it is an easy mod.

Most tail vise functions can be accomplished using dogs, battens, doe's foots, holdfasts, and stops. All of which work as well and most of the time are faster and and easier to use vs. a tail vise..

ken

Ken, deep down I know you're right and it's just an urge I have to fight. My bench will be stout with a 5" top, holdfasts would likely be a better fit for it.

Jim Koepke
11-22-2018, 2:38 AM
In my case my tail vise gets used more than my face vise.

There are also a few set ups for holding things like a saw vise, hand cranked grinder and a metal working vise that fit in my tail vise.

Unless something is real thin, there isn't much problem with most planing over an unsupported section.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
11-22-2018, 7:20 AM

^^^^^^^ Steve, I did exactly this. I have since added on a face vise, because it helps the work I do. But no tail vise. I use holdfasts and followed the Schwartz by drilling only a limited number of dog holes. That has also worked well. For the work I do, I have never missed having a tail vise. (Though I do sometimes get "the urge", just like you seem to be. Don't know why.) I also keep looking at the Veritas Wonder dogs (link (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=31129&cat=1,41637,41645,31129)) and the Veritas surface vise (link (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=63825&cat=1,41637)) as interesting accessories for the rare times my holdfasts won't suffice.

Best of luck in your decision!
Fred

Robert Hazelwood
11-22-2018, 12:49 PM
My tail vise gets used all the time, on almost every part I make. There is a way to do everything without one, but the tail vise is just the fastest and most convenient. I use it a lot for handheld power tool tasks as well, and for these tasks I would not want to rely on a stop or batten, and clamps/holdfasts tend to get in the way.

Mine is the Benchcrafted wagon vise- it is very low profile and does not require a bunch of extra room beyond the end of the bench. But it's expensive and you really need to design the bench with it in mind.

The very best option would probably be the traditional moving-block style, because it gives you an additional way to hold parts vertically. A wagon vise has a limited ability to do this, and I have almost never used this feature.

A quick-release would work fine I'm sure, so long as you aren't up against a wall on the end of the bench. Having the part over open air would not be a big deal unless it was very thin, and you can use a spacer to mitigate that. Having lots of dog holes will also minimize the problem.