PDA

View Full Version : Ebay fiber laser, I'll be the guinea pig--

Kev Williams
11-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Out of sheer necessity- and my fascination with buying the cheapest of something to see if I can make it work :D (Usually I have good luck, my big Triumph for example)

One of my customers picked up a job making parts for an established company that moved into town from CA, they sell worldwide, and the parts that need engraving just keep coming in- at the moment the one item I have in house will keep the fiber busy for 3 days. That's okay 'cept for the fact I have another 3 days work waiting, and more comes in daily. My fiber is the only piece of equipment I don't have at least 2 of around here, and while I could really use a 50w fiber, I'm going to pull the trigger on a cheap 30w ebay machine...

So, as soon as I'm done here, I'm going to order one, guaranteed delivery by next Tuesday--

Progress reports to follow :)

Kev Williams
11-21-2018, 11:39 AM
the deal is done...

397101 397102

Kev Williams
11-21-2018, 11:48 AM
emails received--

397107 397106

Kev Williams
11-21-2018, 11:57 AM
so far so good :)

Scott Clearman
11-21-2018, 12:31 PM
so far so good :)

I'm watching closely to see how this goes. Very interesting. I am curious, how you decided which vendor to choose? Was there anything particular about who you bought it from?

Jerome Stanek
11-21-2018, 3:24 PM
When I bought my laser off E Bay I had an ongoing chat with the seller. everything went as we had discussed. My laser came faster then I thought it would and was just as she had told me. She even gave me some tips on un packing it so it would be easier.

Kev Williams
11-21-2018, 5:39 PM
I'm sure it'll be fine... I hope so, just got another 2000 or so parts dropped off, most of them need 2 sides engraved... may end up needing even another one if this doesn't let up!

Kev Williams
11-21-2018, 6:07 PM
I'm watching closely to see how this goes. Very interesting. I am curious, how you decided which vendor to choose? Was there anything particular about who you bought it from?
Nutshell- cheapest I could find, seller (there were many selling the same machine) is 'top rated plus', and where it's shipping from is only 700 miles from me...

Bert McMahan
11-21-2018, 6:20 PM
where it's shipping from is only 700 miles from me...

Check the tracking info when you get it, I've heard stories of "Shipped from USA!" being a bit on the deceptive side ;)

stan kern
11-21-2018, 9:31 PM
its a nervous thing to do, I am also looking at a china purchase and its scarey

Bill George
11-22-2018, 9:21 AM
Kev is an experienced laser user and buyer. I think he has evaluated the seller and the product pretty carefully. Its the Newies who know zero about lasers and do not even own a meter are the ones having the issues on eBay.

Ross Moshinsky
11-23-2018, 9:05 AM
The upside of buying this way is the person selling is simply looking to move product. This means very competitive pricing and typically good general customer service.

The downside of buying this way is the person is selling a whole bunch of stuff and this is just another item to them. This means no technical support of any kind.

Ultimately, as long as you bought with a credit card you'll be protected. This does seem kind of foolish only because if you have so much work coming in and need this machine to produce, if it's not perfect, it's going to cost you all sorts of time troubleshooting and fixing it.

Kev Williams
11-23-2018, 1:04 PM
If it's not perfect, it'll be pretty much like every other machine I've ever bought ;) About all I'm really expecting is that it will need a couple of hours of alignment tweaking. And one reason for picking this seller is because Fedex ground from CA to my house is 2 days. Even if this one is faulty, I can have a 2nd one here before any other first one will show up :)

Kev Williams
11-24-2018, 11:46 AM
So guess what showed up this morning before 8am?
It was snowing so I had the Fedex driver bring it in.

Once I got my shoes on I moved it back outside and pulled the crate apart.
It was well packed-

It's seems to be put together well. I noticed in the ad it has a 'different' scanhead than mine.
Quite different, as it has a rather small lens, never seen one like it, about 2-1/2" diameter.
I removed it to have a look, I see no reason why it won't work, seems like a 'nice' lens.
If it proves to have limitations- well, it already does, none of my other lenses will fit it-
a replacement identical to my other one is only $649 away...

for the moment all I care is that it'll engrave anodized aluminum! I'm sure it'll handle that...

The goody bag contents:

Next problem, WHERE am I going to put the thing? First thought, I have some
old 1950's school desks that will hold up a freight train, the main unit will fit on top fine
and the control box will fit underneath fine, just where to put the desk is going to be a trick.

And the next issue will be: computer. I have 3 separate EZcad programs set up to run my current fiber, each with settings for the 3 lenses, but only one program will run at a time. The version I'm used to is 2.5.2, the one with this machine is 2.14.10, so I'm wondering if both programs and machines can be run from one computer? Easy enough to find out I suppose :)

Just noticed it came with a pdf handbook concerning all the control board connections and such.

More later...

Kev Williams
11-24-2018, 4:03 PM
Had to clean out a messy spot that needed cleaning out anyway, and for now I lose only little table space but after moving the desk from where it was, I was able to put my rolling cart in its place- the cart had been out in the way, just been living with it, now I have that floor space free again:)

So the business end fits the desk as nice as you can ask, and the box fits great under the desk, and I can put odds & ends in the desk :)

I plugged it in, connected up the USB, transferred the program from the supplied flash drive to my hard drive, and ran the program...
It loaded up, and I drew a 3" square on screen, and red-lighted it, which you could almost see ;)

put a piece of scrap anodized on, and used the scanhead-mounted focus lights-- My my 150 focus tool tells me the focus distance is about an inch or so farther away than my other lens. Wasn't sure which was right so I went with the red lights. I hit the MARK button, and zwip, I had a white box!

I red-lighted the white box, and there's some mis-alignment I need to tweak. The box seems nice and square though.

so next a text test:

So color me happy! And I must add, this being a newer machine there's some features I really like:
The pedestal mounted scanhead, completely adjustable, I'm really going to make good use of that!
And the new EZcad is pretty cool- haven't gotten into it too far but one thing it does I'll love is the 'automatic' cross hatch within each of the 3 hatch per color setups- So now I can have 3 completely different x-hatch routines without having to stack different colored clones of the graphic.

So, I have some alignment tweaking to do, then I need to rig up a clamp to hold the parts for the current job, and start doubling my output! :D

John Lifer
11-24-2018, 4:58 PM
Looks almost identical to my Ray Fine except my column is on right of the base. Column mounted head is great.

Kev Williams
11-24-2018, 7:47 PM
So, I'm having the expected problem of not being able to run both lasers on one computer. So I just installed an XP virtual machine in my garage Win7 'puter. This will work as long as the Win7 sees the 2 dongles as not identical. Everything's going okay except that as soon as the VM fires up, the mouse goes stone dead on the host side, and half-dead on the VM- half dead meaning I can actually use the mouse, but it's 'blind', the arrow doesn't move! Never had that happen. Me & computers just don't get along...

Kev Williams
11-25-2018, 1:51 AM
The mouse problem was a VM capture issue, I was having it capture when I didnt' need to...

I DID figure out how to run both lasers using one computer via virtual machine, but took a bit of trial and error. The VM was loading the dongle driver for the old machine. The new machine's dongle is 'built in' and doesn't load as a driver, took me a few minutes to figure that out ;) -- And the VM was capturing both machine's mainboards. Once I figured all that out, got it to go! Still, there's a specific procedure to follow, but it's simple: start XP, then turn on the machine. Won't work if the machine is on first, won't find the dongle.

Now I'm dealing with networking nonsense...

Scott Clearman
11-26-2018, 5:23 PM
Curious what brand laser is in the unit? Did the ad specify Max or Raycus?

Kev Williams
11-26-2018, 9:13 PM
it's a Max, which is what's in my Triumph.

and I AM having (edit: had) a slight issue: The foot switch didn't fire the laser. It DOES fire my Triumph's laser, so I pulled the covers, traced the wires which go to one of the 2 plugs that connect to the laser control board. There IS continuity when the switch is pressed at the plug terminals, so I'm kind of thinking the laser board might need replacing...

I emailed the seller last night, and got a response a couple of hours later, he would like to see a video of what it's doing/not doing...

So I get online and find these cards for sale on ebay, and the ad has wiring diagrams for the plug connectors. And I'm looking at the diagram, and I remember that the pins I checked for continuity were both on the 7-pin row, but the diagram shows one of the wires is supposed to be on the 8-pin row--
pic shows this, the yellow arrows indicate correct wire placement, upper left ('remark'), and any ground on the bottom for the switch. My plug had the bottom middle okay, but the other wire was put at the red arrow. So I moved that wire from the lower right corner to the upper left corner where it should be...
And the foot pedal works now! :D

So I'll be emailing the seller back and I'll let him know what I found. Laser board okay, works for me!

I know this type of nuisance is a pain for most people, but it's hardly a deal-breaker for me. And this type of flaw isn't limited to e-bay machines. But the guy did get back with me in short order, that's a plus. :)

here's a video of me running both machines- I'm not much good at videos, fair warning... anyway, Triumph is on the left, doing the top of a part, takes 13-1/2 seconds, I move that part to the new laser to engrave the logo on one of the sides, takes about 5 seconds, then it goes into the 'done' box- while the logo is engraving (or just after boxing it) I grab a fresh part, at which time the Triumph is done. So I'm engraving each part twice, and getting almost 4 parts per minute. Since Sunday afternoon and the BIL running it today, it's earned 1/4 of its purchase price...

https://youtu.be/QQvcdDVunTs

Jacob John
11-26-2018, 11:50 PM
Kev, you truly are a Guinea pig.

Scott Clearman
11-27-2018, 10:12 AM
it's a Max, which is what's in my Triumph.

A side note perhaps..... I have heard that the MAX lasers are troublesome, this based on much reading and research. I have read folks advising to stay away from them because they are unstable, whatever that means. I assume you would differ with the opinion to stay away from them?

Kev Williams
11-27-2018, 12:07 PM
I am of the opinion that many of the poor reviews of a particular brand of laser source are based on a bad experience with a machine as a whole that may have had little to do with laser source, but because it had a MAX laser in it, then it gets part of the blame.

This reminds me of something I heard years ago (facts may different these days ;) ) that Golden Retrievers log more human bites than any other breed of dog, which seems funny because they're not known as a biting breed. The reason is because there's so many of them, and by the sheer numbers, they log a lot of bites. Bites per capita, I'm sure will produce totally different numbers...

So, because there are likely a LOT of machines out there with MAX lasers in them, it stands to reason that just by their sheer numbers, reported problems will seem high...

--my opinions-- :)

Regarding personal experience, and of those of the laser owners on this public forum I've been familiar with for the past 6 years or so, I really haven't noticed many complaints about laser sources proper being unreliable regardless of brand. Most issues usually refer to electronic or mechanical issues, which I've had with both my fiber lasers- but the lasers themselves have never failed to fire!

The biggest "laser source" complaints I know of, by far, is Ebay! :D -- which is the whole purpose of this thread, to show that a good deal, with at least some tech support, can be had from an Ebay machine. So far, I'm quite pleased. :)

Chris DeGerolamo
11-28-2018, 1:13 PM
I am awaiting any further input regarding this machine....eagerly awaiting.

Kev Williams
11-28-2018, 6:18 PM
About the foot switch and the plug being wired wrong-- see the 'Chinese fiber laser control board' thread, the OP was putting in a new but different control board and wondering about plugs and wiring issues-- had he posted up his own follow-up 2 days earlier, I've have learned that my laser board was NOT wired wrong! It was actually wired correctly-- the only problem was the foot switch was de-activated in the software! My foot switch DOES work now, but strictly in a 're-marking' function, NOT as a 'start laser' function. It works, but the difference is that when 're-marking', there's no feedback to/from the computer, meaning there's no STOP function available. And, it doesn't engrave what's on-screen, it re-marks the LAST job. So, if you put a new job on screen and hit the foot pedal, the previous job will engrave! Good way to mess up someone's part!

SO then, as of now, there's been NO issues with the new machine, other than software settings. I'll be moving the wire back where it was and activating the foot switch in the software, as intended...

FWIW, I tested the old machine's software by changing the port setting, and sure enough, dead foot pedal!

(FWIW2, this is why I love having 2 of everything, I always have a working test unit to use to troubleshoot a non-working unit ;) )

Power note: The new machine engraves substantially LOUDER than the Triumph at the same settings, very aggressive. Been getting the same results at 60-70% power settings as the Triumph at 100%. Been wondering if I mistakenly got a 50w source, but it could also be the weird, smaller 150 lens; it focuses at about an inch farther away than my Triumph's 150 lens, but even so, it could be focusing to a tighter spot? That would up the power density somewhat... When I get some free time I'm going to do some side-by-side deep engraving..

Short version, I love the thing, it's already earned half it's purchase price and does everything my Triumph does. And I love the tower mount setup, makes quickie setups even quicker...

John Lifer
11-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I got pdf of instructions on my Ray Fine and really no additional info as to what each check box did. Guessed at the start IO being footswitch.
I'd bet the lens is the reason for your power increase. Possibly a different output source also. I've noticed in some specifications there is about a mm or so difference in the diameter of the actual laser output. Tighter output should equal less loss.

Kev Williams
11-30-2018, 3:09 AM
I moved the wire back to where it was, and after finding out the port number is NOT the pin number- port is 15, pin is 9- it's working as it should, foot pedal acts exactly as the F2 button.

--but-- now that the pedal works correctly, for some reason it's affecting the 'show contour' red-lighting; what it's doing is it runs one or two passes (depending on complexity), then it pauses for about 2 seconds, then runs, then pauses etc etc..? So the only way to get a constant running contour red-light is to turn off the foot switch. I'm sure it's just another setting, but no clue where to start looking! Doesn't affect the bounding-box red lighting, just the contour lighting...

As to the noisy engraving, seems it's due to a much smaller beam spot diameter- Just did a stainless job, couple thousandths deep to resemble stamping. Checked the cut with a 15x glass, and the .050 spaced crosshatch engraving looks like a chain link fence! I ran the hatch offset inward .015mm from the original border, and ran a 'mark contour' pass... at .015mm the engraving and contour pass should overlap, but there's a visible space between them! .015mm works out to .00059", pretty small! Need to tighten up the hatch ;)

I'm getting seriously behind on a few jobs around here so I'm about done with the updates for awhile, unless something else, good/bad arises. :)

Tony South
12-22-2018, 10:01 AM
any updates?

Kev Williams
12-23-2018, 7:00 PM
Yeah-- The thing works great! So great in fact that I'm beginning to think they DID send me one with a 50w source. It has a 150 lens on it, and with that lens it engraves nearly identically to my 30w Triumph using the 72mm lens! The 150 lens on my Triumph requires many more passes to get to the same engraving depth. Jobs I run at 100% power on the Triumph I'm doing at 40% power on the new machine. There also seems to be not a lot of variance from low to high frequency engraving, which would make sense with a 50w machine since (so they say) the lowest frequency the machine runs is usually equal to the laser's wattage, which if so, gives me a 50 to 80kh range...

Anyway, I've been keeping it busy so I haven't done much experimenting yet. If I have any complaint, it's with trying to tune the laser's TC start/stop times, been tricky to get the numbers right; size of engraving matters somewhat...

Kev Williams
01-18-2019, 12:43 PM
I recently engraved numbers on some hardened injection mold pins with the Triumph (before I got the ebay machine), the lettering height measured .012", in reverse deep enough to show up in the finished part. I ran a low-power 25x 3-hatch pass, and after repeating each number 75 times, they were perfect.

Compared to some machines I guess my machines could be considered toys, but the reality is, a 'not a toy' machine would do nothing for me except take a LOT longer to pay for ;)
(my ebay machine pays for itself every 2 weeks, and I'll likely be getting another one)

Kev Williams
01-29-2019, 2:15 PM
FWIW to anyone-- Biz is better than ever, but--

I have jobs on both fibers almost always with more jobs in queue-- and I'm having to break down running jobs to get smaller jobs out, which is getting annoying--

So I just ordered my second ebay laser-- same seller, same machine only this one is a cabinet model... It'll be here Friday :)

3 fibers and counting... ;)

Jeff Bromagem
01-29-2019, 9:43 PM
Hi Kev,
I was wondering if you would post or PM me the ebay seller you are buying from?
I looks like you bought it from a USA seller?
The only 30w fiber lasers that looked like yours, seem to be selling for $5k+
Have you ever tried marking on Santoprene, it is a rubbery material?
Thanks,
Jeff

Kev Williams
01-30-2019, 12:09 AM
Most of the machines are in California, not sure where the person/people I've been conversing with thru ebay are physically located, but their dialect is definitely far-eastern! ;)

go to ebay, search "30w fiber laser", then choose "north america" on the left side...

Umm --- okay, never mind, these things must be selling like free beer! --yesterday I missed out on the 'last one' that wasn't a cabinet model, but some cabinet models were advertised-- this morning there were like 8 or 9 identical ads, all different sellers, but all machines priced almost the same (within pennies) and all located in California... By the time I ordered mine today from 'my' seller IT was the 'last one'...

I just checked ebay to get a screenshot to show you, and there's nothing to show you! They're all gone! All that's there now are the $5k and up machines like you said... Wish I could sell stuff that quick!

"my" seller: yufann8_6 --hopefully him/these guys are going to restock...

Tony South
01-30-2019, 1:12 PM
Most of the machines are in California, not sure where the person/people I've been conversing with thru ebay are physically located, but their dialect is definitely far-eastern! ;)

go to ebay, search "30w fiber laser", then choose "north america" on the left side...

Umm --- okay, never mind, these things must be selling like free beer! --yesterday I missed out on the 'last one' that wasn't a cabinet model, but some cabinet models were advertised-- this morning there were like 8 or 9 identical ads, all different sellers, but all machines priced almost the same (within pennies) and all located in California... By the time I ordered mine today from 'my' seller IT was the 'last one'...

I just checked ebay to get a screenshot to show you, and there's nothing to show you! They're all gone! All that's there now are the $5k and up machines like you said... Wish I could sell stuff that quick!

"my" seller: yufann8_6 --hopefully him/these guys are going to restock...

Are you using a separate computer for each laser? also does the ezcad software on the laser you are buying let you run windows 10? hopefully I will be getting busy also to the point where I can buy another machine!

Trey Tull
01-30-2019, 3:53 PM
FWIW to anyone-- Biz is better than ever, but--

I have jobs on both fibers almost always with more jobs in queue-- and I'm having to break down running jobs to get smaller jobs out, which is getting annoying--

So I just ordered my second ebay laser-- same seller, same machine only this one is a cabinet model... It'll be here Friday :)

3 fibers and counting... ;)

Congrats on all of the work!! Keep us updated on the new machine.

Kev Williams
01-30-2019, 7:22 PM
Are you using a separate computer for each laser? also does the ezcad software on the laser you are buying let you run windows 10? hopefully I will be getting busy also to the point where I can buy another machine!

YES on the needing separate computers-- now, you CAN run several machines from one computer, and several versions of EZcad BUT, you can only run instance of ANY EZcad at a time on any one computer, so it does you no good-- UNLESS you use a virtual machine, but I've tried that, and the USB capture confusion and cut-in-half resources wreaks havoc with running EZcad.

And according to the ad, software manual and all, this EZcad (2.14.10 I think it is) does work on Win10. I just wish I could run my Triumph with it

Chris DeGerolamo
03-06-2019, 9:26 PM
This is likely a dumb question, and perhaps not the proper thread to pose it...but I see all these fibers work with Corel, but they typically run EZ CAD or similar. Is it accurate to say that they can import from Corel Draw, or can you actually send files to the laser via Corel?

Troy Venable
03-06-2019, 9:28 PM
Hey all,
New to the forum but you guys have been awesome for posting all your experiences for us newbies to learn from.

Wanting to buy the "ebay 2 laser" that Kev bought. It's the 30w fiber cabinet model. Wanting to know if Kev is still happy with the purchase aside from wanting a different lense. Any mechanical issues that required addressing in the time since it's been running.

For some back story, I'm in Texas and have a full time job in import logistics which pays the bills. I surely will have my work cut out learning the laser, hopefully with some help from the crew on here. On the software side my brother is a designer and works extensively in drawing/design programs like Cad and solidworks so that experience should be helpful.

Intend on engraving polymer, glock lowers and the like for aesthetics and grip (not for NFA items) as an added service to gunsmithing and hunting services. As most people know, to engrave serialized gun parts for customers as a business requires an FFL. Also know that you're not getting rich off this service alone.

I think the 30w fiber is a good fit for the job as a lot of folks offering this service are using a similar laser. If anyone thinks otherwise of that decision any input is welcome.

Thanks
No lasers yet but looking to add one

Kev Williams
03-07-2019, 2:36 AM
Chris- your sig doesn't show a Chinese machine, but you're likely aware of how they 'work'; do the job in Corel, then dump it to the machine's software, which to most people is just the 'print driver'. EzCad is almost exactly the same thing, for the same reason; Chinese graphic software is simply a pain to work with. One big difference between C02 lasers and fiber lasers, is that C02 machine software *usually* includes a Corel plugin, which makes for a one-click download to the machine's program, whereas EzCad has no plugin-- but it's not a huge deal, you save your Corel work as a DXF and simply import it in EzCad. Same thing, just more button clicks ;)

Tony- Yup, I'm happier than a blind dog in a butcher shop :D -- no surprises, machines are working great!

I just noticed the 'guy' I bought my machine from, and his (I assume) group of friends seem to have loaded up their California warehouse with more of these machines, there's several sellers with ads for the cabinet model, my seller has ONE of the desktop models, it's the only one I found- I recommend it over the cabinet ONLY because it comes with a 150 lens, the cab's come with the 220- it works fine, but if you're looking to deep engrave, the tighter lens will work better. I DO like the cabinet model, it's handy. And changing lenses is easy enough, which I plan to do myself if I can find a source!

And to address your gunsmithing goals, beware ATF agents with an agenda. I have a C&D on ATF stationary upstairs worth a negative quarter mil if I'm caught engraving ANYthing but slides, barrels divorced from receivers or stocks & such divorced from the rest of the firearm, without a gunsmithing license. Can't even engrave the side of a 12 guage. I'll leave it at that... :)

Gary Hair
03-07-2019, 5:57 AM
There is nothing that can send the file to the fiber besides ezccad, Corel is just used to export an ai file that ezcad can use.

Chris DeGerolamo
03-07-2019, 9:09 AM
Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

My goal is to learn how to use one of these before I even buy one, thereby reducing the learning curve.

My research and learning continues...

Trevor HinzeNE
03-07-2019, 10:06 AM
I am extremely interested in a machine like yours. I am hoping to post a couple of question here, and I hope you will be willing to answer them for the benifit of all. Yours is by far the best first hand account of an actual experience with these lasers that I have been able to find so far. The laser you have, or at least one of them seems to be this one now at 4K shipped?
I am really curious if you have done any deep metal engraving with it yet, I know it takes a considerable number of passes to achieve a deep mark in Aluminum or stainless, I am mostly wondering if it is achievable and repeatable. I am also very curious as to if you have done any cutting of very thin metal with this, something like .008" thick stainless shim stock for example? Again I realize it will take multiple passes. Another thing that I see no mention of anywhere when researching these lasers is the total lack of guarding. I know it is more than a bit different than the Co2 lasers that I am so accustomed to but the complete lack of quarding honestly blows me away. It seems like an accident just waiting to happen, and I am curious about your thoughts on the subject. I also dont know if everyone wears safety goggles the whole time it is running or not. I have a small 1 stall garage so I would be in close proximity to it when it is running. I fully understand that scattered or non focused reflected light is not that energy dense, but it concerns me as I really enjoy my current ability to see with both eyes and would like to maintain my current 20/20 arrangement! One last question do the units you have purchased have a red laser that the galvo can use to draw an outline of the design before it is engraved? it seems like that would be an invaluable feature and I have seen it demonstrated in several videos but it is difficult to determine which imported units actually have the feature. Many seem to simply have two red dots that are aligned or overlapped to set the correct focal length. Thanks for taking the time to time to outline your experience here for all to see, I for one appreciate it!

Kev Williams
03-07-2019, 11:57 AM
I am extremely interested in a machine like yours. I am hoping to post a couple of question here, and I hope you will be willing to answer them for the benifit of all. Yours is by far the best first hand account of an actual experience with these lasers that I have been able to find so far. The laser you have, or at least one of them seems to be this one now at 4K shipped?

I am really curious if you have done any deep metal engraving with it yet, I know it takes a considerable number of passes to achieve a deep mark in Aluminum or stainless, I am mostly wondering if it is achievable and repeatable. I am also very curious as to if you have done any cutting of very thin metal with this, something like .008" thick stainless shim stock for example? Again I realize it will take multiple passes. Another thing that I see no mention of anywhere when researching these lasers is the total lack of guarding. I know it is more than a bit different than the Co2 lasers that I am so accustomed to but the complete lack of quarding honestly blows me away. It seems like an accident just waiting to happen, and I am curious about your thoughts on the subject. I also dont know if everyone wears safety goggles the whole time it is running or not. I have a small 1 stall garage so I would be in close proximity to it when it is running. I fully understand that scattered or non focused reflected light is not that energy dense, but it concerns me as I really enjoy my current ability to see with both eyes and would like to maintain my current 20/20 arrangement! One last question do the units you have purchased have a red laser that the galvo can use to draw an outline of the design before it is engraved? it seems like that would be an invaluable feature and I have seen it demonstrated in several videos but it is difficult to determine which imported units actually have the feature. Many seem to simply have two red dots that are aligned or overlapped to set the correct focal length. Thanks for taking the time to time to outline your experience here for all to see, I for one appreciate it!
Quick summary for now as work is beaconing ;)

--The machine in your link- Identical to my ebay1 desktop, and same EXACT seller-
'the group' of sellers I speak of, easy to tell who they are: Any similar fiber laser who's 'item location' is shown to be Ontario California, they're all the same machines...
--Caveat Emptor moment: I should point out that the scanhead on these machines, which accepts the not-typical lens I can't find to buy another one of, is not the same as *most* machines, and sell for around $200 less than the 'typical' ones if buying outright. Some may consider it an 'inferior' scanhead, But I've found zero issues with them so far.
--Deep engraving- same results or better than my 2-1/2 year old Triumph. Getting the results you want takes practice and patience. I'm still practicing :)
-- guarding- I engraved my finger once with ebay1, it stings ;) -- I've also been hit in the face more than once with heat from the laser reflecting off curved materials (fiber and C02), so some laser-proof glasses are recommended. I've passed my arm thru a running fiber beam 3 times that I know of (accidentally), never felt anything due to out of focus. Only reason I knew I did it was the laser stopped making noise. Personally I don't feel full guarding is needed, but yes to protective glasses...

so much for quick summary ;)

>edit< -- cutting metals-- I myself haven't been successful whatsoever at cutting anything but tin foil with these things. I know others have, but I haven't had the time to figure it out- or the need really. My problem is I haven't found a cut routine to keep the slag buildup from damming up the works, kinda like trying to cut thru 1/2" plex with a 40w C02 where you end up just going over and over and never getting deeper...

Trevor HinzeNE
03-07-2019, 1:32 PM
Awesome, thanks so much for once taking the time away from work to answer my questions. I am seriously interested in getting one, and I could likely also make a lens adapter so that is not out of the question. I assumed the deep engraving that they show on youtube along with the cutting ws not as easy to achieve as they make it seem. I am also interested in a slightly different technology marketed as a MOPA fiber laser that allows for colored annealing of stainless steel. It looks extremely interesting in the videos even if it would be a bit of a niche.......I also suspect that it is not easy at all to come up with a recipe that works reliably for that either!

Troy Venable
03-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Hey Kev, think I've found the manufacturer of the laser and they have the lens. They just messaged me back saying they could sell us a pair. I sent you a PM so we can discuss directly.

Ian Stewart-Koster
03-11-2019, 2:22 AM
Thanks for the followup & story, Kev !

Mike Thornbury
03-13-2019, 3:40 AM
If it's not perfect, it'll be pretty much like every other machine I've ever bought ...:)

Words of profundity - T-shirt quality!

Chris DeGerolamo
03-15-2019, 4:34 PM
Pulled the trigger one, should be here by next Monday (25th). Any recommendations on eye protection? Amazon's costs are all over the place.

Kev Williams
03-15-2019, 10:56 PM
Someone besides me may chime in with the best deal, BUT I know this much- find glasses that ABSORB the laser light rather than REFLECT it- Reasons: The reflective type are just coated, and if the coating gets scratched, the laser energy can find it's way thru the scratch-- I have 3 pair of absorption style, 2 have dark blue lenses, the other has green lenses, they're a little darkish but not bad. The blue's are quite dark, nice for actually watching the laser work since the working beam is about a lumen and a half less than arc-welding brightness ;) - but they're SO dark that watching is all they're good for, you can't see squat otherwise, so wearing while changing parts frequently doesn't work for me. And one other thing about the blue color, they render all red lasers invisible, so you can't see your red pointers while wearing them. But they're good insurance for bystanders. The green's are still dark enough to make it hard to see between parts changes, but at least I can see the red laser.

According to the ads, these are both absortion style, and probably most over $50 will be. I KNOW the green ones are, I lasered one of the lenses as a test. If you test, aim for the edge of the lens, I hit the middle... oops ;)
-note that the green lenses themselves are etched with the laser bandwidth they protect, the blue's have the frames etched. And I haven't tested the blue ones with the laser, I'm just assuming they work...
--both of these are in the $55 range on ebay right now-

Someone awhile back pointed out where to buy some nearly clear versions that were effective and weren't too expensive.

Chris DeGerolamo
03-16-2019, 4:39 PM
Thanks Kev. I'll certainly look into it.

And, as time permits, I'll politely hijack this thread with my progress/input/results/insults (lol jk)

Chris DeGerolamo
03-19-2019, 8:22 PM
The unit is set for delivery Thursday. I have a dedicated machine in place and ready to install EZ CAD. Blower had a Tee installed today if/when needed. Been watching a lot a videos and reading a lot. I am excited to put some of my experiments to test. I have downloaded and read the Tymca (sp?) fiber PDF and plan to start there WRT settings. Unbox and other pictures will be soon to follow, schedule permitting. Thank you Kev and others, this community is great.

Trey Tull
03-20-2019, 8:21 AM
Kev,

Have you ever looked into buying a piece of absorption glass (like the green) for building an enclosure. I have found it from one supplier but the cost was astronomical. My kids will come running into the shop every now and then and I have to start screaming to stop, until I can get some glasses on them. It would be nice to have an enclosure.

Chris DeGerolamo
03-21-2019, 5:12 PM
Laser arrived about 3:30, everything intact and where it was supposed to be. Copied the files from the dongle to my Fiber computer C: and now the dongle won't get recognized...still working on that. Everything else should fall into place after I get the dog working.

Chris Thomason
03-21-2019, 5:50 PM
The dongle might actually be the laser itself. Is it plugged into the computer and turned on?

Kev Williams
03-21-2019, 7:03 PM
the dongle IS in the laser-- what the instructions don't make clear is that the machine MUST BE ON before EzCad is started...

Chris DeGerolamo
03-22-2019, 8:08 AM
the dongle IS in the laser-- what the instructions don't make clear is that the machine MUST BE ON before EzCad is started...

Thinking it over last night, that is what I was figuring...at the time though the machine was ice cold and we decided to let it warm up before powering it up. We should have it going any minute. Thanks for the reply Kev.

EDIT: plugged in and turned on, EZCAD in demo mode still. Going to check connections on board in a sec..

Chris DeGerolamo
03-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Drove myself crazy for a second trying to rule things out then all of the sudden W7 found the laser board and I was able to install the driver. I have eaten some anodized first, this thing is cool to say the least. Gotta figure all the settings still but very excited to get 'er going again.

Mike vonBuelow
03-22-2019, 5:10 PM
Ken, can you have the seller email me, or give me a phone number where I can contact him/her? I live in N. Cali, but would easily make that drive down south if they'd be willing to give me a demo :) You can PM me if you want- T.I.A.

BTW, do you have a link to any videos you have showing it in action?

Mike

jestes dupek
03-22-2019, 8:18 PM
:rolleyes:

Kev Williams
03-22-2019, 11:55 PM
to the best of my knowledge the machines are just shipped in and warehoused in California, with a worker or two sticking address labels on the crates and shipping them out, I doubt there's any machines in working order for a test drive. My only comm with the seller, 3 times I think, was email thru ebay. Any of the sellers of the lasers listed as being in stock in Ontario California seem to be part of group of sellers working for the same company in China..

Jeff Bromagem
03-23-2019, 12:33 AM
I have a few questions on the ebay 30 watt fiber lasers, maybe someone can answer.
I see the pictures of the scanning head at the top of it's adjustable post (about 20" above the table), when in use, what is the average distance from the lens to the object to be marked?
Also, do the different lens (150, 200, 300) change this?
Approximately how many passes would it take to etch a hardened steel plate to .001 inches deep?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kev Williams
03-23-2019, 2:34 AM
Actually there's no 'average' distance, it's very specific, as the beam must be in focus to plus/minus a small distance. Lens focus length determines the plus/minus range...

Yes the different lenses change the distance, dramatically. The beam begins from the lens center, at the mirrors above the lens. Lens size determines the focus distance. From the lens center the beam emanates outwards in a cone shape. The larger the lens, the farther the focus distance, which also increases the 'cone size', aka the working area. As focus distance increases, so does the minimum beam spot size, and the larger the beam spot, the less power density-- so while longer lenses increase working area size, the compromise is you have less power to work with, and to a certain extent, detail suffers. Shorter lenses decrease working area, but power and detail increases. Always a compromise :)

One common lens I DON'T have is a 100 (I'm talking working area with these numbers), but I do have two 220's, two 150's and a 70 -! The 220's and 150's are different lenses as to physical size. The small 220 focuses at over 17" from lens to focus point, the larger one is around 14-3/4"... the smaller 150 focuses about 11", the larger around 9-3/4"-- my little 70mm focuses at only 4-3/8" from lens to work, and only has a 2-3/4" work area, but the power increase over the 150 is amazing! It'll take aluminum out real quick, steel almost as quick. Of course, there's a compromise or two; the beam spot is so small that a tighter hatch is necessary, and between the extra hatch lines and heat, slag buildup can be a problem...

As to .001" deep in anything, it depends on the engraving area... a 1/4" x 1" rectangle, to get a clean .001 deep, anywhere from 30 seconds to minutes, many variables as to lenses and what one considers 'clean' ;) -- just a while ago I engraved "1911 A1" into an old Ranger slide, I made it resemble a single tool-cut pass, text height was .188", I ran it 40 passes of 2 cross hatches: two 'digger' cross-hatches and 2 'cleanup' cross-hatches, followed by another 20 cleanup only passes, for 200 passes total- Sounds like a lot but they're FAST passes, the whole run took less than 4 minutes. Yeah, that's more time than tool engraving, but (A) Setup is MUCH quicker, (B) I can get another job working while it's running, and (C) it takes time to sharpen dull carbide tools... One thing I'll never have to do is sharpen a laser beam! :D

Here's a silly-putty impression of the engraving, it's an honest, and clean .003-.004" or more deep in hardened steel...

Trevor HinzeNE
03-23-2019, 1:50 PM
As I look more and more at these "California eBay specials" I am quite curious as to if the red laser is merely a dot, or two to allow for focusing height, or is the galvo able to manipulate the red visible laser to provide a preview outline to aid in alignment. It sure would be nice to have that feature. Not sure if these lower end fiber lasers have that avaliable or not?

Kev Williams
03-23-2019, 8:27 PM
--all of the above, and then some ;)

My 1st fiber (Triumph) has 2 red LEDs, the thru-lens that aims straight down, and an adjustable stationary mounted on the main box, which aims down at an angle. Once optimal focus is found, I just move the adjustable dot until it's just barely to the left and straight across from the lens dot. The 'accepted' way to do this is make the dots converge at the same place, but when they're slightly apart it's very easy to see if one's not aligned to the other.

My 2 ebay machines have the a pair of adjustable LED's on the scanhead in addition to the thru-lens LED. The 2 LED's converge when focused the same way as my Triumph, only difference is the thru lens LED isn't used for focusing.

So yes these lasers- all galvo's as far as I know- use thru-lens LED's for alignment. The LED and laser hit the same mirrors so they follow the same path, but not exactly until the red output and laser output are aligned... there's a few procedures to follow to do this (along with compensation procedures for size, side-angles, rotational skew, pincushion and trapezoid misalignments)... When tuned up nicely, the laser will produce square squares and round circles of the correct size, and the red LED and laser paths will exactly match. For visual alignment of your engraving you can output a simple red bounding box representing the engraving's max height & width, or you can output an outline of the actual engraving. Using a loupe and set of HF caliper mic's, you can measure the red light itself for size or location. Fast and accurate...

Trevor HinzeNE
03-23-2019, 10:40 PM
Excellent and informative reply as usual. I get closer every day to hitting the buy it now button! Knowing that you can uaebthe galvo and a red laser to preview before burning in a design is a huge plus! Thanks again.

Jeff Bromagem
03-24-2019, 11:52 PM
Actually there's no 'average' distance, it's very specific, as the beam must be in focus to plus/minus a small distance. Lens focus length determines the plus/minus range...

Yes the different lenses change the distance, dramatically. The beam begins from the lens center, at the mirrors above the lens. Lens size determines the focus distance. From the lens center the beam emanates outwards in a cone shape. The larger the lens, the farther the focus distance, which also increases the 'cone size', aka the working area. As focus distance increases, so does the minimum beam spot size, and the larger the beam spot, the less power density-- so while longer lenses increase working area size, the compromise is you have less power to work with, and to a certain extent, detail suffers. Shorter lenses decrease working area, but power and detail increases. Always a compromise :)

One common lens I DON'T have is a 100 (I'm talking working area with these numbers), but I do have two 220's, two 150's and a 70 -! The 220's and 150's are different lenses as to physical size. The small 220 focuses at over 17" from lens to focus point, the larger one is around 14-3/4"... the smaller 150 focuses about 11", the larger around 9-3/4"-- my little 70mm focuses at only 4-3/8" from lens to work, and only has a 2-3/4" work area, but the power increase over the 150 is amazing! It'll take aluminum out real quick, steel almost as quick. Of course, there's a compromise or two; the beam spot is so small that a tighter hatch is necessary, and between the extra hatch lines and heat, slag buildup can be a problem...

As to .001" deep in anything, it depends on the engraving area... a 1/4" x 1" rectangle, to get a clean .001 deep, anywhere from 30 seconds to minutes, many variables as to lenses and what one considers 'clean' ;) -- just a while ago I engraved "1911 A1" into an old Ranger slide, I made it resemble a single tool-cut pass, text height was .188", I ran it 40 passes of 2 cross hatches: two 'digger' cross-hatches and 2 'cleanup' cross-hatches, followed by another 20 cleanup only passes, for 200 passes total- Sounds like a lot but they're FAST passes, the whole run took less than 4 minutes. Yeah, that's more time than tool engraving, but (A) Setup is MUCH quicker, (B) I can get another job working while it's running, and (C) it takes time to sharpen dull carbide tools... One thing I'll never have to do is sharpen a laser beam! :D

Here's a silly-putty impression of the engraving, it's an honest, and clean .003-.004" or more deep in hardened steel...

Thanks Kev for all the very useful information.
I am interested in buying and using a fiber laser to make pad printing plates for my shop, currently they are etched with ferric chloride.
Of course there will be many other things that can be done with it too.
Images will generally be less than 1 1/2" in diameter for most jobs.
Have you found any accessory/optional lens for the first ebay machine with the 150 lens?
Thanks again,
Jeff

Kev Williams
03-25-2019, 2:59 AM
Not yet I haven't, but I haven't been looking much lately :) - BTW, the engraving above was done with ebay1, it has the 150 lens. Ebay2 with the cabinet has the 220, and I'm actually quite happy with how it works. Haven't done too much deep engraving with it, a couple of rifle barrels last week and they came out very nice, and faster than I expected. It mostly does anodized parts, and it's fantastic for that...

So with the 3 machines, my best option would be to pick up a 100 that'll fit the ebay machines, that should be all the variety I'll need for now...

Trevor HinzeNE
03-26-2019, 9:43 PM
Do any of you guys with the 30w eBay have a rotary attachment. I messaged the seller in CA 3 dahs ago to see if they offer an optional rotary axis. So far no reply from them. That is not exactly confidence inspiring! I see in the pics that there is a port on the back for a rotary but that of course means nothing.

Kev Williams
03-27-2019, 2:27 AM
you can get a rotary and a controller, Cloudray Laser sells them on ebay, as do others--

These machines have the plug for the rotary but that's it. One of the reasons for the good pricing I'm assuming. I have a rotary that came with my Triumph, it's all I need as I don't use it much...

Gary Hair
03-27-2019, 8:02 AM
I've got one I don't use any more if you are interested.

Do any of you guys with the 30w eBay have a rotary attachment. I messaged the seller in CA 3 dahs ago to see if they offer an optional rotary axis. So far no reply from them. That is not exactly confidence inspiring! I see in the pics that there is a port on the back for a rotary but that of course means nothing.

Trevor HinzeNE
03-27-2019, 10:21 AM

Thanks, if I pull the trigger I will pm you!

Trevor HinzeNE
03-27-2019, 10:23 AM
you can get a rotary and a controller, Cloudray Laser sells them on ebay, as do others--

These machines have the plug for the rotary but that's it. One of the reasons for the good pricing I'm assuming. I have a rotary that came with my Triumph, it's all I need as I don't use it much...

Thanks for the info. I half assumed that the port on the back was nothing more than an empty socket and you have confirmed it. Am I safe to assume that the software is configurable enough to allow you to set it for a stepper motor driven rotary chuck, ie can you define degrees per step and so on? Thanks again for the timely reply.

pete hagan
03-27-2019, 3:02 PM
I messaged the seller and they don't have a rotary. I'm wanting a chuck version for a particular type of part we make. So Kev, was the 4K on the cabinet model worth it?
I will mainly engrave 6005 T6 aluminum for serial numbers.

Chris DeGerolamo
03-27-2019, 4:38 PM
Been very happy with the unit I got last week. Thanks for the original write up Kev.

Kev Williams
03-27-2019, 6:54 PM
Based on all the other prices I'm seeing lately, many of which don't include duties and tariffs and all, $4000 for these machines is a steal. But BEAR IN MIND, these machines are very much intended for 'seasoned' users, or users who are somewhat mechanically inclined and not afraid to pull covers and plugs and such to adjust dip switches or add simple accessories yourself. Example, I don't know if many people are aware of a simple modification to these machines that can speed up setup and production time, which I found out about accidentally-- As users are aware, when you start the laser, you get an on-screen "MARKING" message during the marking procedure. When marking is done, the message goes away. The problem with this is that while marking, EzCad is now busy and you can't do anything but wait for the engraving to end.

BUT, built into the controller is a simple function called REMARK... to enable it you need a switch-
like another foot switch- and you have to crimp or solder the switch wires to the male connector that fits
the plug shown...
Note that pin 8 is labeled 'REMARK', one of the switch wires connects here,
the other wire connects to any ground location, of which there's 3, I've
chosen pin 13, and if memory serves, pin 13 is 'empty'...

So, what the REMARK function does is this: When you run a job from EzCad, that job remains in the machines memory. What REMARK does is re-run the saved job in memory instead of EzCad feeding the same job over and over from the computer. This is great if you're engraving multiples of the same thing over and over and have another job waiting to set up; When remarking, EzCad is divorced from the machine, which means you're free to set up the next job AND run multiples of the same parts, instead of waiting until all the parts are done to start the next setup! -There is ONE catch, there's no STOP button when doing this (other than the E-stop), but normally there's no reason to stop when running multiples...

SO, I told you all that to say this: If you're the type of person who can wire up a new switch or install a new scanhead if the original goes out, or have a good friend that can ;) -- then one of these cheap machines may be a worthwhile investment! Otherwise, enter at your own risk... I've been extremely pleased with both my ebay machines, and when my foot switch didn't work on the first one, the seller was prompt and helpful about making it right (it was disabled in EzCad, ez fix!) but I'm also aware that a guy in China can only do so much to help a guy in North America... :)

Trevor HinzeNE
03-27-2019, 7:17 PM
Based on all the other prices I'm seeing lately, many of which don't include duties and tariffs and all, $4000 for these machines is a steal. But BEAR IN MIND, these machines are very much intended for 'seasoned' users, or users who are somewhat mechanically inclined and not afraid to pull covers and plugs and such to adjust dip switches or add simple accessories yourself. Example, I don't know if many people are aware of a simple modification to these machines that can speed up setup and production time, which I found out about accidentally-- As users are aware, when you start the laser, you get an on-screen "MARKING" message during the marking procedure. When marking is done, the message goes away. The problem with this is that while marking, EzCad is now busy and you can't do anything but wait for the engraving to end.

BUT, built into the controller is a simple function called REMARK... to enable it you need a switch-
like another foot switch- and you have to crimp or solder the switch wires to the male connector that fits
the plug shown...
Note that pin 8 is labeled 'REMARK', one of the switch wires connects here,
the other wire connects to any ground location, of which there's 3, I've
chosen pin 13, and if memory serves, pin 13 is 'empty'...

So, what the REMARK function does is this: When you run a job from EzCad, that job remains in the machines memory. What REMARK does is re-run the saved job in memory instead of EzCad feeding the same job over and over from the computer. This is great if you're engraving multiples of the same thing over and over and have another job waiting to set up; When remarking, EzCad is divorced from the machine, which means you're free to set up the next job AND run multiples of the same parts, instead of waiting until all the parts are done to start the next setup! -There is ONE catch, there's no STOP button when doing this (other than the E-stop), but normally there's no reason to stop when running multiples...

SO, I told you all that to say this: If you're the type of person who can wire up a new switch or install a new scanhead if the original goes out, or have a good friend that can ;) -- then one of these cheap machines may be a worthwhile investment! Otherwise, enter at your own risk... I've been extremely pleased with both my ebay machines, and when my foot switch didn't work on the first one, the seller was prompt and helpful about making it right (it was disabled in EzCad, ez fix!) but I'm also aware that a guy in China can only do so much to help a guy in North America... :)

More solid info, the best I have seen anywhere on these machines! Thanks. Quick question, if you ordered one tomorrow, 2 choices; 4k for the stand version with the white cabinet, or 3900 for the benchtop model which would you choose? As I recall you have both so I am just curious if you prefer one over the other as far as ease of use. Thanks again!

Chris DeGerolamo
03-27-2019, 8:41 PM
My foot switch worked out the gate...the only hindrance is EZCAD...but as you mentioned Kev, I am 'seasoned' (I think) and have multiple platforms from which to create and import artwork. For anyone reading...

We bought desktop version, not the cabinet model as that I did not need it, and didn't see it's function. After aligning the (2) scanhead red dots, it's been smooth sailing WRT focal plane. I am in the process of porting job/art over now for certain clients. We have a contract with an aftermarket autoparts manufacturer (yeah, you've heard of them but due to NDA I cannot disclose, but I digress...). With this new fiber, the tolerance in focal plane on a round object is gone. And on our galvo fiber, the job takes 3.5 seconds as opposed to just over a minute on our CO2. To be clear, the galvo will not replace our Epilog CO2, but it's a great new tool.

Ok, so PMAGs...I run 2 loops, two hatches...first at 315 .1mm gap second hatch same at 45 degrees. Power 10% or so, speed 1000 and frequency 20. (If I am missing something it's because I am exhausted and still learning.) Results are good and pass my scratch test.

To be clear, I bought the machine to provide us deep metal engraving, which it does well and fast. Oh, and, the unit sits atop a table/worktop that houses our blower unit. At current, there are no discernible effects from the vibrations of the blower into the engravings of the galvo fiber...a nice surprise bc I was a bit worried.

I'll continue to weigh in as a I am able and competent to do so.

Trevor HinzeNE
03-27-2019, 9:18 PM
Another great bit of info. I think I will talk to my "banker" tomorrow and get one ordered. I am leaning toward the cabinet model, but in my cramped quarters I would probably be smarter to get the benchtop version.

Chris DeGerolamo
03-28-2019, 11:59 AM
Just looking over this thread again...my desktop unit was ~3850 to the door. Shipped outta Houston TX, but still sold by the same group of folks in Ontario CA.

Trevor HinzeNE
03-28-2019, 9:29 PM
Just looking over this thread again...my desktop unit was ~3850 to the door. Shipped outta Houston TX, but still sold by the same group of folks in Ontario CA.

I really cant decide. I like the portability of the benchtop unit, but then I would have to buy a cart to put it on. Even at harbor freight prices it is cheaper to just get the unit with the integrated cabinet. Unfortunately all of the units on eBay that are cabinet based seem to have 200mm lenses. The larger size would be nice but I think that the higher power density aviliable with the 150mm unkts would suit me better as I really want to engrave into metal.

Kev Williams
03-29-2019, 1:37 AM
Trevor, I'm really liking my cabinet machine, but I do like the desktop version a bit better, the 150 lens is more versatile, and you can put the whole machine almost anywhere--

Trevor HinzeNE
03-29-2019, 6:24 AM
Trevor, I'm really liking my cabinet machine, but I do like the desktop version a bit better, the 150 lens is more versatile, and you can put the whole machine almost anywhere--

It is Definately going to be nice if an easy source for,the lenses becomes available, which if these keep selling surely has to be the case.

Jeff Bromagem
03-29-2019, 1:42 PM

Hi Gary,
I might be interested in your rotary device. If you could supply me with a few pictures and size of chuck, etc. that would be great.
You can PM me if you like.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Bromagem
03-29-2019, 2:04 PM
Kev,
That "REMARK" function you posted is invaluable, I was wondering if the machine had something like this built in (like a feature switch). But since it doesn't I will add this to it.
By the way, I am waiting on a desktop version to be delivered!
Does anyone know if the manual comes with a call-out of the rotary device plug on the back, such as which pin is the step, direction, +, - etc?? If not, does anyone have that yet?
Thanks to everyone for all the great information.
Jeff

Kev Williams
03-29-2019, 3:56 PM
I have the manuals, but haven't read thru them much yet- If you get a rotary be sure it comes with the driver as these machines don't have them. I'm sure the rotary and driver will have instructions for the plug-

Trevor HinzeNE
03-29-2019, 4:31 PM
I have the manuals, but haven't read thru them much yet- If you get a rotary be sure it comes with the driver as these machines don't have them. I'm sure the rotary and driver will have instructions for the plug-

I am hoping someone will have some info, or that we can figure it out. It would be nice to use a non laser specific rotary and stepper drive as they Are only a couple hundred bucks rather than 500 for those directly intended for the laser. I jumped on the bandwagon today and ordered the cabinet model....fingers crossed. A week of waiting is gonna kill me!

Gary Hair
03-29-2019, 6:39 PM
I can send pics and specs if you send me your email address. PM privileges are not available for us non-contributors. My email is garyhair at Comcast dot net.

Hi Gary,
I might be interested in your rotary device. If you could supply me with a few pictures and size of chuck, etc. that would be great.
You can PM me if you like.
Thanks,
Jeff

Chris DeGerolamo
03-29-2019, 8:42 PM
Kev,
That "REMARK" function you posted is invaluable, I was wondering if the machine had something like this built in (like a feature switch). But since it doesn't I will add this to it.
By the way, I am waiting on a desktop version to be delivered!
Does anyone know if the manual comes with a call-out of the rotary device plug on the back, such as which pin is the step, direction, +, - etc?? If not, does anyone have that yet?
Thanks to everyone for all the great information.
Jeff

I do not recall seeing the pin-out for the rotary....though it could have been because I was laughing too hard at the translations...

Congrats on the purchase. Keep us posted Jeff. If I may, first things first, find the focal point based on sound on a scrap piece of aluminum or sim. Once you have determined focal distance, use a good allan key (2mm or 2.5mm; their tools were crap so have a backup) to adjust the other two red dots. once you have convergence, finding focal plane on various objects is a breeze. I am constantly amazed at the focal plane tolerance on these machines, at least on anodized al. My EZcad is quirky as hell, so I screenshot my settings to Word for future use/recall. The TYMKA (sp?) PDF reference is a great start - I strongly suggest using it as a guide until you grasp the ins and outs of the laser.

Best of luck and post back once you have tinkered.

Trevor HinzeNE
03-30-2019, 1:04 AM
I am really starting to wonder about this eBay seller. I asked a couple of questions this week, no reply. Yesterday I made an offer of 98 pct of their asking price and got no reply. The offer timed out on eBay. I asked another question a few hours ago to see if they had recieved my offer. I am super hesitant to hit the buy it now button and have 4k tied up if they are not going to ship it. I do eBay every single day so I know I would ultimately be protected but what a hassle if it doesn't work out. For those that have bought in the last few weeks did they in fact ship and give you a tracking number in a reasonable time frame. I looked again at Ali express but the horror stories, esp those about import duties are just too scary. I wont get us going down that bunny trail though. I am ready to buy. It would just be nice to know that a human being is actually there to ship my order. I do however have zero confidence that I could get any after sale resolution if something went wrong.

Chris DeGerolamo
03-30-2019, 8:45 AM
My transaction was flawless. I bought on a Friday, it shipped Monday and I received that Thursday.

Trevor HinzeNE
03-30-2019, 8:48 AM
My transaction was flawless. I bought on a Friday, it shipped Monday and I received that Thursday.

That sounds great. Thanks!

Paul Phillips
03-30-2019, 11:02 AM
I am really starting to wonder about this eBay seller. I asked a couple of questions this week, no reply. Yesterday I made an offer of 98 pct of their asking price and got no reply. The offer timed out on eBay. I asked another question a few hours ago to see if they had recieved my offer. I am super hesitant to hit the buy it now button and have 4k tied up if they are not going to ship it. I do eBay every single day so I know I would ultimately be protected but what a hassle if it doesn't work out. For those that have bought in the last few weeks did they in fact ship and give you a tracking number in a reasonable time frame. I looked again at Ali express but the horror stories, esp those about import duties are just too scary. I wont get us going down that bunny trail though. I am ready to buy. It would just be nice to know that a human being is actually there to ship my order. I do however have zero confidence that I could get any after sale resolution if something went wrong.

Trevor, In my few dealings with buying from China and or communication with people, be patient, they often times have national holidays that they take off for, they seem to have a different attitude on doing business than we do. I would just keep trying and don't feel to put off if they don't answer right away.

Trevor HinzeNE
03-30-2019, 2:32 PM
I never did hear back form the seller, I am hoping that they are just so darned busy sending crates out the door that they dont have time to check their messages. I paid my 3999 this A.M. for the cabinet model, really hoping that it will get shipped on Monday. I also stumbled across a youtube channel from a gentleman who has some great videos that cover the setup of the laser and the software to get great results. I dont think that I can post a link here but his user name is "AJI Machinining" If you search for him and click on the videos tab you will find 3 or 4 great videos that will surely be helpful when it comes time to get the laser all set up and tuned to play nice with the software.

Trevor HinzeNE
04-02-2019, 10:41 AM
I finally got a tracking number for my eBay laser and to my surprise it is for a freight company (Roadrunner trucking) and not Fedex. The listing is full of references to Fedex shipping and they even include a map with the zones that show how many days it should take to get to you. I was pretty surprised to get this freight number, and to add to my nervousness it is not working. I realize it could be because they just shipped it about 12 hours ago, or so they claim, but I would think that the tracking would show something other than invalid. (I have reached out to the seller for confirmation) Now I am super concerned that in a week I am going to get a call from some trucking terminal 60 miles away telling me to come get my crate. The Fedex shipping was definitely a selling point and I am bummed that it is coming another way. In my past experiences I have learned that shipping by truck can be amazingly quick, or that your pallet can sit somewhere for a week seemingly for no reason. I know that Amazon 2 day shipping has ruined me by raising the bar as far as shipping expectations go but this whole process continues to make me more than a little bit nervous. Did any of you that purchased from the same seller recently get yours delivered via common carrier, or were they Fedex as advertised.

Chris DeGerolamo
04-02-2019, 3:54 PM
Ours was delivered via FedEX.

Additional note: I am enjoying the serial function in the autotext of EZCAD...

Trevor HinzeNE
04-02-2019, 5:19 PM
Ours was delivered via FedEX.

Additional note: I am enjoying the serial function in the autotext of EZCAD...

Thanks, that does not give me a sense of security ;(

Chris DeGerolamo
04-02-2019, 5:37 PM
Thanks, that does not give me a sense of security ;(

HA! This time I was being sincere. EZCAD is incrementing by '1' on the part serial numbers like I told it...it's beautiful.

Trevor HinzeNE
04-02-2019, 6:02 PM
HA! This time I was being sincere. EZCAD is incrementing by '1' on the part serial numbers like I told it...it's beautiful.

Its all good, I actually only read the shipping part, it is nice to know the counting function works though!

Kev Williams
04-02-2019, 8:54 PM
for what it's worth- my first ebay machine was here in 3 days, my 2nd took about 2 weeks or so, going from memory so I forget exactly- The problem, was that evidently I got the last one in the country at the time, and mine was shipped- via Roadrunner- from back east someplace...

Trevor HinzeNE
04-02-2019, 9:08 PM
I am super unimpressed with these people so far.....36 hrs to answer a question, if at all, shipped by a method other than what they stated, broken tracking links, at this point i am really wondering if I should have rolled the dice and ordered one off of Alibaba, the customs duties were the big unknown with that situation. I havent given up but I would be lying if I said that my confidence was high right now!

Jeff Bromagem
04-02-2019, 10:57 PM
I just received my ebay fiber on Monday April 1st, purchased from same seller as Kev, bought it late at night, so order didn't get processed till the 27th.
I consider that pretty decent delivery time, it came from NJ to OH/IN border, via FedEx Ground.
Still getting it ready to power up and try out.

It came with a USB thumb drive, does anyone know if this contains the EzCad software, or is it a USB Key for the software, or both?

Trevor: You are much better off (IMO) to have purchased from ebay, it would have taken longer on Alibaba, tracking numbers do take time to update, try to relax a little bit, it will get there!

Trevor HinzeNE
04-02-2019, 11:04 PM
Fingers crossed, but I ship items daily and find their methods are very frustrating, but all I can do is wait. I dont have my laser yet so Cleary I could be way wrong but I understood the usb to contain the software....again only based on my reading, I could be all wet. Keep us posted! I for one am interested.

Kev Williams
04-03-2019, 1:45 PM
The thumb drive contains the EZcad software, instructions will tell you (somewhere) to just copy the whole thing to your hard drive, and what to do from there about running the program. The dongle is built into the control board, turn on the machine, THEN load the program since the first thing EZcad does is look for the control board...

Trevor HinzeNE
04-03-2019, 5:51 PM
Kev, as I watch youtube videos trying to give myself a head start I see refrences to easy cad and easy cad2. Wondering if there is a diffirence that you are aware of, and which one might ship with these lasers? Thanks!

Kev Williams
04-03-2019, 7:28 PM
EzCad2, but there's many versions of 2- what comes with these machines is a BIG improvement over my older Triumph's version...
older: all text edit in the dinky window on the side-
newer: 1/4 screen size text window now

older: 3 hatches, period
newer: 3 hatches, but each now has a 'cross hatch' choice, effectively doubles possible hatch routines. There's also a 'count' option, which as of yet I have no idea what it's for, just repeat THAT hatch I assume...

older: if you stop the machine, you start over-
newer: there's actually a PAUSE function!

older: choosing 'continuous red light' mode or 'show contour' red light was a click F3 click 'other' click 'red light pointer' click 'continuous' and/or 'show contour', click 'ok' click 'ok' mouse click nightmare..
newer: 'continuous' and 'show contour' are now on the main screen

older: when red-lighting, if you need to jog the graphic, you hit ESC, jogjogjog- hit F1... if more jogging needed, repeat ESC-jog-F1 until you're done...
newer: you can now jog while redlighting! It can be a bit slow to react at times, but MUCH better an all the off/on/off/on nonsense...

There's other improvements too, some I probably haven't even found out about yet :)

Trevor HinzeNE
04-03-2019, 7:34 PM
Excellent, thanks for the info. In watching the aji machine YouTube videos that I mentioned the other day I believe that I saw him use the count to do each hatch routine. He was using all 3 routines, but he ran each one something lime 3 or 5 times before it started on the 2nd strategy then the 3rd. At least on his videos the software appears a litttle bit quirky but quite powerful as well. My laser is currently between New Jersey and Chicago, an route to Nebraska, I cant wait!

Gary Hair
04-03-2019, 9:12 PM
So you finally got tracking to update?

Excellent, thanks for the info. In watching the aji machine YouTube videos that I mentioned the other day I believe that I saw him use the count to do each hatch routine. He was using all 3 routines, but he ran each one something lime 3 or 5 times before it started on the 2nd strategy then the 3rd. At least on his videos the software appears a litttle bit quirky but quite powerful as well. My laser is currently between New Jersey and Chicago, an route to Nebraska, I cant wait!

Trevor HinzeNE
04-03-2019, 9:22 PM
Yep, it shows it was last loaded in a trailer in New Jersey this am at 30 min past midnight. Not quite California, but i am just pleased to see some progress.

Ross Moshinsky
04-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Could someone share the NJ location these are shipping from? That might put me over the edge on wanting to buy considering if something went wrong with the transaction, I could throw it through their window.

Trevor HinzeNE
04-04-2019, 1:37 PM
Could someone share the NJ location these are shipping from? That might put me over the edge on wanting to buy considering if something went wrong with the transaction, I could throw it through their window.

I will past the info from mine below, one caveat though I ordered the larger desk model and it seems to ship from NJ while others have reported that their desktop models shipped via FedEx from California I believe. Good luck, Mine has now made it as far a Chicago, only a 7 hour drive from my house, but it still shows Tuesday next week as the estimated delivery date.

Origin

SANVEN 4PX

1000 HIGH ST C/O 4PX NJ

PERTH AMBOY, NJ 08861

Trevor HinzeNE
04-04-2019, 1:42 PM
I got curious, apparently it is a logistics company specializing on import delivery logistics which makes perfect sense. It is a 354,000 sq ft building so it is bound to have a t least one good sized window!

https://www.dukerealty.com/duke-realty-signs-lease-with-4px-express-for-eport-1000/

Ross Moshinsky
04-04-2019, 1:54 PM
Thanks for the info. It's only about 15 minutes from here so that's pretty convenient. Maybe I can even save a few bucks by not having it shipped and I'll just pick it up.

Trevor HinzeNE
04-04-2019, 2:16 PM
Thanks for the info. It's only about 15 minutes from here so that's pretty convenient. Maybe I can even save a few bucks by not having it shipped and I'll just pick it up.

Well if you were on the fence at all as to which model to buy that should make the decision much easier! I would message the seller well in advance, I have sent them paragraphs at a time and 24 to 36 hours later I get a 2 or 3 word response. It has to cost them 3 to 500 to ship one so I would surely imagine they would let you pick it up and refund at least part of that money but who knows! If you end up going take some pictures to post if you can!

Gary Hair
04-04-2019, 2:37 PM
That's not the seller, it's a logistics company that the seller uses to ship out their goods. Although it's possible they would let you pick up there, it's unlikely that any returns would go there or that they would have anything to do with, or care about, returns. It would be like picking up a package from the local UPS warehouse - they are the delivery agent, that's it.

Trevor HinzeNE
04-08-2019, 2:17 PM
I just got off the phone with the freight company. My laser arrived in Chicago last Thursday at 1030 A.M and hasnt really moved since then. It is headed for Omaha today and they Claim it should be there tonight. Omaha is 45 Minutes from me but they Now estimate that it will be delivered on Thursday. I know Amazon has ruined me as far as shipping expectations but this Road Runner freight company has to be one of the biggest Jokes ever. End of Rant I will go back to attempting to be patient now!

Kev Williams
04-08-2019, 8:03 PM
Someone mentioned they'd like to see some video of one of these machines in action- done! :)

BTW I'm about the lousy-est narrator on the planet, fair warning... :

I made 2 clips, both clips were made using my ebay2 cabinet model with the lonnngg 220 lens.

first clip I'm engraving a carbon fiber rifle barrel. It's about 4-1/2 minutes of the same thing so feel free to fast forward ;)

https://youtu.be/srx0ORWw0lI

next clip in the next post...

Kev Williams
04-08-2019, 8:04 PM
--second clip is just a short video of engraving some anodized...

https://youtu.be/6KfXguhDeyI

--just wanted to point out that my GoPro did NOT do those barrels justice, they look much better than the vid shows. Customer picked them up before could grab my camera...

And I wanted to mention that my hatch routine got to .004-.006" deep in 18 passes. Now, they were lengthy passes but not too bad-- according to the vid my 6 passes got done in 2:30, so then 18 passes would be 7:30... With a 220 lens, IMO that amazes me... and while 7-1/2 minutes sounds lengthy, yeah I can tool engrave that less than half the time, BUT, not in a fancy font I can't, and sometimes 2 or more passes is needed, and when you add in the clamping/aligning/tool zero-ing time, and then time to sharpen tools every 2 or 3 engravings, the overall time is just about equal. Factor in how easy fiber alignment is, and knowing a laser beam won't move the barrel, the fiber wins hands down... :)

Trevor HinzeNE
04-08-2019, 8:55 PM
Wow, looks amazing, thanks for the videos. Any chance yo you care to share your special recipies you developed for each of the routines? If not I totally understand. When it takes me that long to figure something out I am torn between telling anyone who will listen, and not telling a soul!

Trevor HinzeNE
04-09-2019, 12:49 PM
My laser showed up at 750 am today, what a great way to,start the day. Delivery went smoothly and so did setup. Was engraving within an hour....what an amazing machine! Pics to follow later I hope.407596

Trevor HinzeNE
04-10-2019, 9:40 AM
Loving my fiber so far although I have much to learn. Unfortunately I am not able to save any configuration settings because the software does not like the path it has specified for the .cfg file. Oddly enough though it is looking in the correct spot, and I have no idea how to tell it otherwise anyhow. Does anybody else get this message. It is a pita to not have it save any settings and constantly pop up with error messages whenever you make a change in the layout or settings.407692

Matt Schrum
04-10-2019, 10:00 AM
Have you tried a different file path without the pound signs (##)? Some programs don't play well with non alphanumeric symbols.

Trevor HinzeNE
04-10-2019, 10:07 AM
I have not, I jost followed the path that the software specified. I cant seem to find any way to change the path that ezcad wants to use to find the config file. I am just computer literate enough to be dangerous!

Kev Williams
04-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Try putting everything on the C drive proper, NOT in any documents folders, could be a 'permissions' thing. Create a folder on the C drive called "1-Fiber" and copy the flash drive there. (the '1' will put that folder on top :) )

Trevor HinzeNE
04-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys, unfortunately the problem persists.407716

Trevor HinzeNE
04-10-2019, 12:08 PM
I think I got it. I had to copy just the ezcad folder, not any ofthe other stuff that was on the thumb drive to the c drive and now it is working! Thanks again!

Kev Williams
04-11-2019, 6:34 PM
Just finished another CF barrel, and had presence of mind to take pics this time ;)

As before, this was done on my ebay2 machine, cabinet model 30w with the 220 lens. I'm still surprised I'm getting these results with that lens. But to be fair, I've had the same lens for my Triumph and I've never tried it for deep work, I've always used the 150 or the 72 lens..

Trevor HinzeNE
04-11-2019, 9:08 PM
Looks great. I haven't made it to th407789at point yet!

Chris DeGerolamo
04-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Worked for me...now I can stop muddling through the errors.

Chris DeGerolamo
04-19-2019, 8:57 PM
Reporting back after less than a month of ownership...our fiber is working great and making money. No complaints here at all. Still learning, spent a good part of the afternoon practicing annealing on stainless with differing colors. Most of what we are doing is anodized aluminum and they are looking sharp. The tolerance in focal plane on this machine (with this lens) has exceeded my expectations.

Trevor HinzeNE
04-30-2019, 2:56 PM
I have had my fiber a few weeks now and I thought I would report back some of my thoughts and mods for those who may also be considering buying one of these units. The long and short of it is that I would buy it again. If you want a few more details read on. I sell stuff on ebay almost daily so I am quite accustomed to the ways of ebay and I can honestly say that I have never had a more stressful transaction. The seller literally only answered one of the numerous messages that I sent them, but in the end it really didn't matter, just know that going in. The Unit did not ship from Ca as stated via Fedex, rather it came on a 53' semi trailer from the east coast. I did buy the larger cabinet model not the desktop model and I think that could be why. It arrived in great shape and I had a friendly truck driver who was curious enough to stick around to see the crate get opened :) I was very pleased with how it was packed. Much to my surprise things were very well protected and wrapped up. Setup was super easy as well. Overall I am extremely impressed with the build quality of the machine itself. I would say that it is at or near the upper end of where an imported machine will be and aside from a few cheap pieces of hardware (fasteners) it is really quite presentable. I had a few problems with software install but the guys here were helpful and steered me in the correct direction. I opted to use an older XP machine that once controlled an old cnc router of mine and it has been working great. So far the software has really only crashed once, but the advice to save your work often is in fact good advice! The software is a bit quirky but quite functional and powerful. I still have lots to learn, my scaling is off by just a bit and I need to work on that next. It hasn't mattered for experimenting but I am just about to the stage of things needing to be the size that they need to be so I will need to do a bit of calibration soon. The software seemed to be about 95% tuned for this specific laser right out of the box which is better than I expected. I was pretty successful right from the start as far as marking things is concerned but I have spent the last several weeks experimenting and trying to come up with repeatable results for various materials. Since there are way more variables than you have with a CO2 laser I have found that getting the correct settings figured out is really important for good results....at a respectable speed. I still have lots of learning to do but things look promising. I knew that one of my first mods needed to be some fume extraction and Prime had the required materials to me well before the laser arrived. I am using a 12vdc boat bilge pump and although it is a bit noisy it works quite well and was inexpensive. I mounted a 12v power supply on the wall of the cabinet and ran it thru a switch up near the control panel. I attached some 3" locline adjustable tubing to it so I can easily place the extraction wherever I need it and it stays put. The other end just attaches to some dryer ducting that takes it out through the wall of my garage. Speaking of control cabinets I was also quite pleased with the wiring inside of the cabinet. everything was routed in wire mold and although it looks like some of the wire mold cuts were made by an angry beaver I can't complain. Also nice is the fact that every single wire appears to be labeled at both ends! I work on machines everyday at work that cost more than a house and they often dont have labels on their wires! The laser power source itself is just begging me to break the seals and look inside of the cabinet but so far I have resisted. Based on the suggestion of another user here I also purchased a 32 dollar xy table from Amazon, and it is money well spent. You can move stuff around in the software but it is so much easier to get things just right using the handwheels and the table. I can't claim to have made any money from it yet, but I bought it on a bit of speculation and I really like the capabilities it will add in the future. I will eventually come up with a marketable idea, it is just a matter of time. For the time being I am quite happy to experiment and get all of my settings locked down fairly well so that I will have a good starting point for any given project. All in all I am quite pleased with the machine, fingers crossed that it will serve me in a trouble free manner for many years to come! I will post a few pics below and thanks again to Kev and all of the others that have taken the time to post helpful comments throughout this thread which truly is a great repository of info about these machines.

Trevor

Trevor HinzeNE
04-30-2019, 2:57 PM
A few pics409017409018

Trevor HinzeNE
04-30-2019, 2:58 PM
more pics409019409020

John Lifer
04-30-2019, 5:49 PM
Thanks for opening up the base. You DO have a place to put the desktop computer inside so it looks pretty finished. Was curious about that, even though I'd still just run though USB cable as I do now with a wireless mouse and keyboard.
Good luck with it.

Trevor HinzeNE
04-30-2019, 7:46 PM
Plenty of room in the base. I should have mwntioned that. I have a fairly large tower in there and it fit perfect, it is nice to have it all closed up, andbit was nice that they included a panel mount usb jack up below the monitor so it is even easy to plug a thumb drive in for loading files.

Chris DeGerolamo
05-08-2019, 9:36 AM
This has been on my mind for a few days: the product page for this laser (link intentionally omitted) states the frequency 20-80KHz. Parameters are set on EZCAD to max at 20KHz...which shall I believe? Would I do any damage to the laser by changing the max frequency to 80KHz?

Kev Williams
05-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Enter what you want, it won't hurt or change much of anything :) -on all 3 of my EzCad's the freq settings came with the range set at 20-200kz. If you enter a value outside this range, you'll get an error message. Aside from that, if you enter a value lower or higher than the laser's actual minimum or maximum freq output, nothing happens other than the laser outputs at it's upper or lower limit.

What ARE the actual limits, who knows? Many on this forum have said that the lowest frequency possible is equal to the wattage of the laser source; 20w laser gets you down to 20kH, 50w, 50 kHz... True or not, I haven't a clue, and I've tried to figure out a test to figure out the limits. I THINK I found once that my Triumph showed a slight difference from 30kH to 25kH, but I'm not convinced. But when I'm after the lowest possible freq I just enter 20kH. Likewise for the upper limit, 80 to 100kH seems to be the upper limit. My Ebay1 laser with the 150 lens, I was having a hard time finding much difference no matter what freq I used when at full power. It seriously acts like a 50w machine compared to the other two. The upper freq's only seem to make a difference at 50% or less power. Above 50% it's very aggressive...

And speaking of aggressive, and the common question of 'what settings do you use for _______' ... I've always professed that 'all lasers are different'. Evidence of this happened a couple of days ago when engraving a rifle barrel. In my pics above you see a very clean fiber engraved barrel, done on my ebay2 machine, nearly dead-smooth to the touch. The other day I used the EXACT same settings to engrave a barrel on my ebay1 machine. Results were okay, but not even close to as clean and smooth, quite a bit of slag. I'm assuming mostly due to the fact that my E1 machine IS more aggressive. Could be mostly due to the different lenses, and I used E2's laser timing settings on the E1, normally they're somewhat different, maybe I should've changed them back before running the barrel...

Trevor HinzeNE
05-08-2019, 1:33 PM
For what it is worth I have used my eBay fiber at just about every frequency between 20 and 80 kHz, all with great success. Interestingly enough though mine was set in the software for just those limits when I installed it. Good luck!

Chris DeGerolamo
06-04-2019, 1:25 PM
Certainly planning ahead here...has one got a source for replacement lenses?

General update: machine still running great. Lots of AA has been burned on this thing. Currently running my Glock RTF2 slide, adding crescent serrations to the front.

John Lifer
06-04-2019, 2:18 PM
I bought a 150x150 f210mm with my laser from Ray Fine along with the 100x100 f160mm that was 'standard'. I purchased a 220x220 F330 from Cloudray off ebay. Seems to be good laser supply source in China. Fast shipping by DHL (wasn't expecting that BTW, figured slow 25 day mail). It works fine, but power of my 20 Watt laser drops off out near edgs (like other lenses too) but I bought to run some material at about 20% power max. And it works fine for that. BTW, save your setting, set up different folder with the whole software in it for each lens. These are the large diameter lens (85mm) Haven't seen nor found a source for the 'newer' ebay fiber.

Kev Williams
06-04-2019, 3:11 PM
Certainly planning ahead here...has one got a source for replacement lenses?.
Depends on your lens- forgive my memory, but if you got one of the ebay machines like mine, you likely have the small lens with a 52mm diameter lens mount thread (M52) - The more 'traditional' lenses are much larger and 'cone' shaped somewhat, with an 85mm diameter lens mount thread (M85) --

As of right this minute, I can't find an M52 lens for sale on Cloudray or even Alibaba. BUT, I did find ONE seller on Ebay that sells them---
Because they're so scarce I hope the mods don't mind if I post a link to the ad (if not, I suppose they'll delete it ;) ) -- I'm probably going to pick myself up a 150 to for my ebay2 machine that came with the 220...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiber-Laser-Machine-Scanning-Lens-110-150-175-200-300mm-Area-F-Theta-Lens/223539252244?hash=item340bfa4c14:m:mImvOjAC71n2RzG 1Hm_zjOQ

Rob Damon
06-04-2019, 3:30 PM
Nice find Kev.

Mine came with a 150. Will definitely pick up a couple other sizes and maybe a replacement 150 just in case they become more scarce. :eek: Let me know how it works out if you order one.

Chris DeGerolamo
06-04-2019, 4:28 PM
Nailed it Kev, thanks.

Rob Damon
06-05-2019, 8:27 AM
I am wondering if it would be possible to just buy a new galvo head ($430) from cloudray that accepts the larger lens and replace the one that currently comes with the ebay units? At that point you can use the readily available lens (M85). Down the road anyway.

Gary Hair
06-05-2019, 8:58 AM
I am wondering if it would be possible to just buy a new galvo head ($430) from cloudray that accepts the larger lens and replace the one that currently comes with the ebay units? At that point you can use the readily available lens (M85). Down the road anyway.

I've had my fibers for over 4 years and the lenses look like brand new. I'd save that $430 and spend it on something useful... or frivolous...

Rob Damon
06-05-2019, 9:56 AM
I've had my fibers for over 4 years and the lenses look like brand new. I'd save that $430 and spend it on something useful... or frivolous...

My fiber was already "Frivolous" ;)

I am just looking at the wider range of lens available in the M85 size range and the potential lack of availability of the M52 sized lenses down the road.

Thanks.

Chris Thomason
06-05-2019, 11:19 AM
I would also like to know to what extent our fiber lasers are just LEGO bricks that can be swapped out at will. How interchangeable are the galvo heads control boards and laser sources? Anyone have experience replacing those parts?

Rob Damon
06-05-2019, 12:33 PM
When I got my CO2 laser in Nov. 2018 the first thing I did was crack everything open and document all the components and traced out all the wiring and created a detailed wiring diagram (when I find some free time I am going to put the diagram in Autocad.)

When I got my eBay Fiber last week I cracked everything open (I like knowing how things are made and work) because like Kev I had to replace the key switch that had a broken key in it and replaced it. Luckily I found the same manufacturer/model on Amazon and ordered it and it came in the next day and I just had to swap out the key component and not the relay/switch portion.

Honestly from what I saw, if you can make it fit within the space they are just components. The only concern I would what to be sure of before making a galvo head change is to make sure that the laser head in the compartment the galvo attaches to will accurately align to the mirrors.

So far the issues I have had and have easily corrected myself:

1. I had to downgrade to a previous version of Ezcad2 than what came on the thumb drive to get everything to work (wouldn't save any changes to .cfg or ini files and wouldn't display any text on the screen.) (Free Download.)

2. Had to replace the key switch. ($10.00 Amazon)

3. Had to add some 4mm set screws to underside of head lift platform to level the galvo head parallel to the base plate form. ($1.29 Lowes)

4. Came with wrong advertised lens. A 110mm was in ad, 150mm was shipped. (Vendor is sending free 110mm lens, says I can keep the 150mm.)

5. Shipping crate came broken open. Top was little more than duct tape and one side corner was ripped open (probably due to CBP ripping the top of the crate open during their inspection and only using a few drywall screws to re-secure it and the fact that it was shipped Fedex.) (These are built like tanks so other than a few scratches which doesn't affect the performance, everything works even with the damaged crate.)

6. Time delay in correspondence. (This is expected, they are 12 hours ahead of us and there is going to be a delay. When I am awake they are asleep, and vice verse. They start their weekend on Friday local time here and return on Sunday here. So plan accordingly. They are not Amazon that you can get instant responses.)

The shipping was actually quicker than expected. Shipped out of California and arrived in 3 days east coast.

From what I can see at this point these are great little machines. If you are expecting perfect machines and perfect tech support, spend 4 times as much and buy from an American manufacturer. But if you want a low cost work horse that you may have to do your own maintenance on I would definitely recommend these as others have.

Rob

Trevor HinzeNE
06-05-2019, 12:54 PM
When I got my CO2 laser in Nov. 2018 the first thing I did was crack everything open and document all the components and traced out all the wiring and created a detailed wiring diagram (when I find some free time I am going to put the diagram in Autocad.)

When I got my eBay Fiber last week I cracked everything open (I like knowing how things are made and work) because like Kev I had to replace the key switch that had a broken key in it and replaced it. Luckily I found the same manufacturer/model on Amazon and ordered it and it came in the next day and I just had to swap out the key component and not the relay/switch portion.

Honestly from what I saw, if you can make it fit within the space they are just components. The only concern I would what to be sure of before making a galvo head change is to make sure that the laser head in the compartment the galvo attaches to will accurately align to the mirrors.

So far the issues I have had and have easily corrected myself:

1. I had to downgrade to a previous version of Ezcad2 than what came on the thumb drive to get everything to work (wouldn't save any changes to .cfg or ini files and wouldn't display any text on the screen.) (Free Download.)

2. Had to replace the key switch. ($10.00 Amazon)

3. Had to add some 4mm set screws to underside of head lift platform to level the galvo head parallel to the base plate form. ($1.29 Lowes)

4. Came with wrong advertised lens. A 110mm was in ad, 150mm was shipped. (Vendor is sending free 110mm lens, says I can keep the 150mm.)

5. Shipping crate came broken open. Top was little more than duct tape and one side corner was ripped open (probably due to CBP ripping the top of the crate open during their inspection and only using a few drywall screws to re-secure it and the fact that it was shipped Fedex.) (These are built like tanks so other than a few scratches which doesn't affect the performance, everything works even with the damaged crate.)

6. Time delay in correspondence. (This is expected, they are 12 hours ahead of us and there is going to be a delay. When I am awake they are asleep, and vice verse. They start their weekend on Friday local time here and return on Sunday here. So plan accordingly. They are not Amazon that you can get instant responses.)

The shipping was actually quicker than expected. Shipped out of California and arrived in 3 days east coast.

From what I can see at this point these are great little machines. If you are expecting perfect machines and perfect tech support, spend 4 times as much and buy from an American manufacturer. But if you want a low cost work horse that you may have to do your own maintenance on I would definitely recommend these as others have.

Rob

Did you crack open the fiber source itself? Mine is calling to me but that darned warranty seal has prevented me so far....not sure why the warranty probably isnt worth the paper the seal was printed on! I sure would like to see a pic of how all the diodes are chained together and attached to the fiber, but I cant seem to find any online.

Kev Williams
06-05-2019, 2:29 PM
I'm pretty sure all the stuff has been very much standardized. My ebay machines have BJJCZ controllers, my Triumph an IPG something, but not much difference visually or in operation. The scanheads are different between the Triumph and EB's, but they have the exact same mount and the exact same 25 pin plug connection. All 3 have Max lasers but I'm sure I could swap any one into any other machine, and I'm sure a Raycus or any other would plug n play. One interesting thing about the 'new' lenses, is that as focal length grows, so does the glass and lens housing size- The small 220 lens is much larger in diameter than the 150. The traditional lenses are all the same size, changes are internal. The one noticeable difference is the actual lens-to-work focus distance is quite a bit farther with the smaller lenses, the 220 focuses almost 18"-- even at that distance, where the mirrors are barely moving when engraving 1/2mm stuff, the results are great.

Anyway- I'm pretty sure most scanheads will work in these machines--

Kev Williams
06-06-2019, 1:03 PM

So I was just checking into lenses again, specifically Cloudray's stuff, and after doing some digging I found out that new power supplies are supplied with new scanheads...

Rob Damon
06-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Kev,

I contacted the ebay vendor you found with the M52 lens to verify all the of lenses they offered were in fact M52 thread and they confirmed it was. Pushed the button for the 110mm and the 300mm. Will let you know how it turns out when they arrive in a few weeks.

Rob

Jeff Bromagem
06-13-2019, 1:36 PM
Hello fellow Ebay fiber users!
I have the "blue" separated 30w unit, with the 150 lens.
I have added a rotary device to my fiber. It works fine so far, but I'd like to add a "Zero" switch to make it go back home to the same position for each new part.
The 5 pin round port for the rotary does not have a connection for the "Zero" contacts.
According to the info i can find in the manuals and internet, it looks like I need to add a N.O. switch or maybe a NPN prox. to pin number 1 on the 15 pin controller connector.
BUT, not sure if it is supposed to be grounded or supplied with 5v+ when activated. My thought is that it should be grounded.
If anyone has some answers, I could sure use the input!!
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

PS. going to order a 200mm, M52 lens today $83.60 + $8. sh on ebay.

Kev Williams
06-13-2019, 11:23 PM
I only have a rotary on my Triumph machine, but it's always returned 'home' after it's finished engraving- only time it doesn't is if I stop the machine before it's done, then where it stops is the 'new zero'. Since that makes it a complete pain to finish something I stopped midstream, I HAVE found a crude-but-it-works workaround for that problem; before I start any engraving, I unplug the rotary, then rotate one of the jaws so it's as close to straight up as possible, then I plug the rotary in... since most rotary's only have 200 actual steps per rotation, when it locks I notice that the jaw will have moved slightly-if I force it one 'thump' one way or the other, the angle difference of the jaw is very noticeable. So I always start from the 'straight up' position, and if I lose the zero point for some reason, I just unplug the rotary, rotate it back till the correct jaw is up and plug it back in. So far it's worked for me...

Chris DeGerolamo
06-15-2019, 10:49 AM
FWIW, there may be a need for us to add another fiber to our shop. We may be buying another 30W.

Thanks Kev, again.

Kev Williams
06-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Maybe I should hit these ebay sellers up for a commission.. ;)

(nah)

Chris DeGerolamo
07-03-2019, 9:18 AM
Kev,

I contacted the ebay vendor you found with the M52 lens to verify all the of lenses they offered were in fact M52 thread and they confirmed it was. Pushed the button for the 110mm and the 300mm. Will let you know how it turns out when they arrive in a few weeks.

Rob

Any luck on these lenses? I am curious about the 110 and power density.

Kev Williams
07-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Funny, a few weeks ago couldn't find an M52 lens, didn't even know what to call 'em, now they're all over Ebay for less than $70.

--In that video posted in the other thread, the guy had what looked to be an M85 to M52 adapter, whereas you can fit a typical M85 lens onto an M52 scanhead-- Or maybe it was to change that old expensive lens to an M85-? -anyway, I'm searching for an M85 to M52 adapter right now, but no luck so far...

I have no problem with how the M52's work, I'm not so sure they're not more efficient than the M85's on the Triumph. But M85's are available in a wider range of mm sizes. I love my 70mm, still need to practice machining with it, and I'm wanting to pick up a 300mm, neither of which I see available in the M52. --edit-- there are 300's, but 'not in stock' ;)

I think for $69 I'm going to pick up a 110 lens to try on my ebay1 machine...

>edit< I did run into some adapters, but most are M79 to M85...

Rob Damon
07-04-2019, 10:49 AM
I ordered both the 110mm and the 300mm. I got an email from the seller the next day that the 300mm is longer being manufacturer according to thier sources in China.
I did just recieve the 110mm in the post and it looks and functions as good as the original 150mm that came with the laser. I noticed no difference once I found the correct focal distance at deep engraving as well as shallow engraving between the lense quality wise.
I did email all the vendors I could find on ebay and on aliexpress that listed the 300mm and all that was showing them as being available within a day changed description to "out of stock".
So if anybody does find them in stock again please post here.
Thanks. Rob

Chris DeGerolamo
07-05-2019, 9:41 PM
So my eBay laser quit firing today (my post on this is in another forum on here). Okay, so here's why I'm posting this here too:

1. I fully intend to catalog the events moving forward, especially with respect to the seller's response and turnaround. This should prove useful for anyone currently owning such a machine or looking to purchase.

2. To pose this question: did I ask too much of this machine? The laser quit somewhere in 30 loops at 100mm/s at 100%power at 1KHz. Mind you I had no warning leading up to failure. Note also the machine is on an adequately sized UPS.

Rob Damon
07-06-2019, 7:27 AM
Why are you running it at 1 khz?

Have you tried running it at 20 khz or 30 khz or other ?

Chris DeGerolamo
07-06-2019, 9:00 AM
Why are you running it at 1 khz?

Have you tried running it at 20 khz or 30 khz or other ?

The intention is to reduce the frequency to lowest threshold to maximize power aka "umph" (<---not technical term)

Gary Hair
07-06-2019, 11:00 AM
So my eBay laser quit firing today (my post on this is in another forum on here). Okay, so here's why I'm posting this here too:

1. I fully intend to catalog the events moving forward, especially with respect to the seller's response and turnaround. This should prove useful for anyone currently owning such a machine or looking to purchase.

2. To pose this question: did I ask too much of this machine? The laser quit somewhere in 30 loops at 100mm/s at 100%power at 1KHz. Mind you I had no warning leading up to failure. Note also the machine is on an adequately sized UPS.

To answer #2 - I have run both of my machines at 100 Power and 100mm/s with over 100 loops and had no problems at all. Not sure how you got the frequency to 1, a 30 watt machine can't really go below 30.

Rob Damon
07-06-2019, 11:08 AM
I just ran mine yesterday at 100% power, 20 mm/s for 200 cycles at 20 khz to punch through 1.3 mm metal blank with no problems.

So it won't run at any freq.?

Jon Holloway
07-07-2019, 4:47 PM
My eBay laser has acted wonky before, like it wasn’t using any power for the beam. I powered cycled it and it worked fine again. Hope yours is something simple.

Chris DeGerolamo
07-08-2019, 8:21 AM
Thanks all. No, the laser does not fire at any frequency. The frequency settings I was using were the defaults in the parameters (1 - 20KHz if I recall correctly). Perhaps they were incorrect from the get go.

Chris DeGerolamo
07-10-2019, 4:14 PM
Well, it does appear the source is dead. This unit was delivered March 31, 2019...not too long a life span for the source.

Scott Shepherd
07-10-2019, 7:05 PM
Well, it does appear the source is dead. This unit was delivered March 31, 2019...not too long a life span for the source.

Really sorry to hear that Chris. I was hoping you had found the issue.

Chris DeGerolamo
07-10-2019, 7:50 PM
Really sorry to hear that Chris. I was hoping you had found the issue.

Thanks Scott. Now I wait for the seller's response and hope I'm not [putting this nicely] out of luck. As I see it, these are our outcomes:

-We miraculously are awarded promptly with a new source (least likely)
-We purchase new source while the existing is refurbished
-Invoke eBay's guarantee/return policy for a product that was supposed to last longer than it did, i.e. argue it was defective upon receipt.

The saga continues...

Kev Williams
07-11-2019, 1:41 AM
I'm betting on them getting you a new source. How promptly is the question, unless they're storing those in a California warehouse too.

My impression with dealing with them was, they're not the typical(?) take your money and run sellers, they want to sell machines, they know word of mouth will help (look what I started), and good service when something goes bad will only help. Just my opinion, but Raycus is the X factor here, 3-1/2 months into a 2 year warranty, I would think they'd just swap it out. But that's also just my opinion...

Scott Shepherd
07-11-2019, 7:42 AM
Just my opinion, but Raycus is the X factor here, 3-1/2 months into a 2 year warranty, I would think they'd just swap it out. But that's also just my opinion...

Raycus will not swap it out. They aren't going to hand out sources until they get the old one back, so it's got to get to Raycus for anything to happen. That's 2 weeks there, 2 weeks back with no time to process it, plus no less than $600 in shipping there and back. They won't cover the shipping. It's the failing point of Chinese systems, if you have a problem and it needs to be handled under warranty, you have little recourse other than sitting and waiting. If you have business and can't be down for 2 months, then your best bet is to buy another source and then send the other one back to be repaired.

Sadly, once it leaves you place of business, not too many people along the way really care when you get it back or if you are down. That's not a black mark on the ebay seller, that's just the reality of dealing with Chinese warranty. If it were anything but the source of the scanhead, I think they could be talked into sending you a new part pretty quickly.

Chris DeGerolamo
07-11-2019, 8:26 AM
The seller responded to install wechat to walk me through the fix (God, I only hope). We have connected via the app but he is 12hrs ahead of me so we are working on a time that works for both of us. I'll let y'all know the outcome.

Rob Damon
07-11-2019, 9:38 AM
The best time I have found to do real time email chat with Chinese vendors is between 11pm-midnight (EST). They are 12 hours ahead so that puts just before lunch time for them. Also, once it hits about midnight Thursday, may as well wait until afternoon/evening on Sunday to try and contacted them via email.

If I was using my Fiber for business use and did not have a backup, I would just buy two of the cheap Chinese units and keep one for back up spare parts, because having it down for 4-6 week would not be acceptable.

I am just using mine for hobby and will be order a few spare parts just in case when it does go down. So even if they can Wechat you and get it up and running, you may want to consider going ahead and order a few spare parts if you are planning on relying heavily on the unit for business use.

Rob

Kev Williams
07-11-2019, 5:49 PM
I have lots of machines, and one of the reasons is because I almost always have a machine available for any job that comes in. Another reason is insurance against breakdowns-- Except for my old vinyl cutter, every other machine I use has at least 2 backup machines able to do the same type of job. I've never had to farm out work...

Good luck with the repairs-- I AM happy that they're trying to help :)

Chris DeGerolamo
07-12-2019, 8:28 AM
After three hours of checking voltages etc. last night with the seller and manufacturer it is confirmed the source is dead...no big surprise. The seller stated she would contact someone here is America to find a replacement. Of course they are 12 hours ahead of us and now being Friday I don't expect to hear anything until early next week at best. In the interim, I suppose I will be looking to a redundant machine or new/additional fiber source while in-house work and prospective clients are on hold.

Anyone have a go to for fast delivery/ landed sources in America? My worst case scenario is to shell out the capital for another Racycus based machine only to have the source die in another (3) months. A quick glance on eBay puts a JPT source at my door mid-August; my business cannot wait that long.

Half-joking here but not really: anyone have an extra source??

Thanks all for the help/input in advance.

(You too Art.)

Chris DeGerolamo
07-22-2019, 8:32 PM
A quick update as that there has been little movement and no resolution...will post back once this changes.

In a nut shell, the source died. The seller said they would send a 20W machine to replace our 30W. We said no. They insisted on a 20W. We said no. They said they would send us a 30W from US...out of stock (same sellers Kev.; link provided for replacement was your seller). They said they would send 30W from China....factory was out of stock so they said. They agreed to send us the reimbursement amount for the power supplies and replacement laser source *WE* purchased, only once we closed the dispute with Paypal because the seller claimed funds were frozen; eBay won't touch it after 30 days. I contacted Paypal today and they flat out said do not close the dispute because we would have no recourse (painting a pretty picture, right?). Paypal reviewed the dispute and escalated it to a claim immediately. We are awaiting response from the seller.