PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-29-2005, 5:53 PM
I have to make some goblets. This is the shape I decided on.

Want your opinion as to shape, flow, proportions, etc.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Will be looking back later tonight.

Bruce

Jeremiah Jordan
11-29-2005, 6:56 PM
I like that shape Bruce. Maybe make the cup a little larger though. Good luck on your turning!

Jeremiah

Jim Becker
11-29-2005, 7:06 PM
The base currently makes the cup look very diminutive. My suggestion is to decrease (and lighten) the base or increase the size of the cup to give better proportion to the piece(s).

Andy Hoyt
11-29-2005, 7:07 PM
The stem could benefit from a diet.

Carole Valentine
11-29-2005, 8:23 PM
Hi Bruce,
Sort of depends on which style of goblet you are aiming for. There are the heavy ones and more delicate ones. Being a girl, I prefer the more delicate ones. ;) In either case, proportion is important. If you want to keep the heavy stem, then the cup needs to be much bigger and the cup and base need to be in proportion. On a heavy goblet, I think the stem should be shorter. I also think a sharper transition from stem to cup and stem to base is called for. JMHO.

Bob Noles
11-29-2005, 9:05 PM
Bruce,

Not knowing much about turning yet, but being told I have a fair eye for design..... I have to agree with the others. A little out of proportion and easy to adjust by either decreasing the stem and base or increasing the cup size. Otherwise a great looking project.

Hope no offense taken in me offering advice.

Carole Valentine
11-29-2005, 9:42 PM
Have you grown an Afro or are you trying to tell us it's cold up in PA? Just noticed your new avitar.:D

Bill Stevener
11-29-2005, 9:59 PM
Hi Bruce,
I fully understand your initial objective is to turn some goblets, however I am not at all clear on your design thoughts, as to the shape, size, form or how it should flow, etc. Would depend greatly on what it's intended use was for and whom. Such as early 70's soda fountain style, or maybe the renaissance period. Open gender? Maybe if you expand some on your design and final presentation thoughts, one would have a better understanding as to what to look for and what you are trying to accomplish. This would greatly benefit in any constructive feedback . If what you have created is what you are looking for, the only comment I have is, it's rather a short drink.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Well, with a better look, I will stand on a "short drink" and your next presentation will show it sitting on a tack. I know it's oak.......

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Ok folks. First Thank you very much for your comments. Since I had to get out to work, I didn't really give you all the information.

1. I was looking for a flute style cup. I don't think the transition is smooth enough for that. I guess if I had to define a style it would be a little danish modern from the 50's/60's.

2. I, too believe that the stem is a little thick. That it would flow better if it was thinner.

I also forgot to give you the dimentions.......necessary ingredient. Here it is:
Height 1-1/8", diameter of cup 1/2" with 1/16" wall thickness, base diameter 9/16", base thickness 1/16", Stem diameter 5/32" at the smallest spot.

VERY SHARP EYES, BILL! Won't sit on a Tack, but it will set nicely on a 16 penny nail! And, YES, it IS Red Oak!

Bill Stevener
11-30-2005, 12:34 AM
You old rascal you. Back to Leno -------;)
Bill.>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
11-30-2005, 1:04 AM
That aint a goblet.

It's a dime etaisse

EDIT---- Bruce - Another suggestion would be to select a piece of wood with really really tight, closed pore, fine straight grain. I think you'd not only find it easier to turn and provide/maintain crisper detail, but will also serve to fool us again on the next post. I work in miniatures all the time and this is a constant consideration.

John Hart
11-30-2005, 7:15 AM
Bruce Bruce Bruce....You sure know how to have fun don't you! :p

Carole Valentine
11-30-2005, 10:14 AM
I knew it! You lil' stinker!:D I kept thinking "Something is wrong there - I've seen a lot of Bruce's stuff posted and I get the feeling that he is pulling our leg." But then I thought "Well, I don't know that he is doing that, maybe he's had a severe case of regression, so I will just assume he isn't!" I did notice that the wood had a really strange "figure" but it never registered that the "figure" was actually "grain"! :rolleyes: (Was the slightly out of focus photo intentional too, in order to further dupe us?) From now on if my only comment on a piece is to ask - Is this a "Bruce"?, you guys will know what I mean.:D
BTW, my original comments still stand whether it is dime sized or football sized. Oh, and I think the wall ahould be a little thinner...like 1/64" :p

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-30-2005, 1:15 PM
I agree Carole. Thinner is better...............even if it IS miniscule! Got a collet chuck and just couldn't wait to turn something really small.

For balance, the walls SHOULD be thinner and the stem thinner, too. Got to try another one tonight, if I have the time.

Bruce

BTW, I PROMISE to get back to something larger. The Rikon is still in the back of my van.

Bruce

John Hart
11-30-2005, 1:29 PM
Maybe we should have an Itty Bitty Contest. Where everyone participate by submitting their Itty Bitty piece. What Say You?

Andy Hoyt
11-30-2005, 1:45 PM
Sure. But doesn't the TOS prohibit this sort of thing?:cool:

I'm in. What's the subject?

Bill Stevener
11-30-2005, 1:54 PM
Great idea John, lets give this a shot.

I'll start, hear's mine:eek:

|
|_______________

Now where did that go:confused:

Great idea, I think we should all give it a try.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-30-2005, 6:37 PM
Sounds like fun to me. BTW the only reason I used the oak was that it was the first piece of 3/4 X 3/4 stock I found. and as I said, I was just bringing the collet chuck home and just couldn't wait to try it out.

Bruce

Don Baer
11-30-2005, 6:43 PM
Bruce;
It could also double as a golf tee..:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
11-30-2005, 6:54 PM
Bruce, given this is a very small piece and planned to be "thin", you may find it easier to work with something more close grained than oak or similar. Cherry, maple and some of the exotics might be just the ticket.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-30-2005, 9:35 PM
Tonights effort. YES folks...........IT's itty bitty!

Sorry about the focus. Stuff so small my camera isn't able to grab it well and when I updated things, lost my old photo program. Photoshop not real good at cleaning things up.

The bowl is either Bobinga or Bocata. Can't remember which, but it's so dark that it doesn't show well, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Diameter - .832" , Height - .306" , Wall thickness - .072"

The two pieces to the right were to be a cup. It was working out well till it broke during sanding.

Base thickness - .091" , Base diameter - .413" , stem diameter - .121" , Cup diameter - .494" , Cup height - .175 , Cup wall thickness - .066"

Just havin a little more fun!

Bruce;)

John Hart
11-30-2005, 9:58 PM
Well....If you're going to have so much fun Bruce...How's 'bout you headin' up our contest!!!!:D What should we make??

Rich Stewart
11-30-2005, 9:58 PM
I'm down for that John. Start a new thread with some basic rules. Sounds like fun. maybe a different one each week or month.

John Hart
11-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Ok...I'll start a thread. Lemme think about some rules or something.:rolleyes:

By the way Bruce...You are the King of Itty Bitty Stuff!!!! Those are cool pieces even the broken cup!!:)

Andy Hoyt
11-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Ok...I'll start a thread. Lemme think about some rules or something.:rolleyes:

By the way Bruce...You are the King of Itty Bitty Stuff!!!! Those are cool pieces even the broken cup!!:)

He's the current king only. Post that contest so we can dethrone him!:D

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-30-2005, 11:49 PM
"LET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR!"
"The game's afoot!"

If I may................I suggest a Champagne flute for the first one. Dimentions not to exceed 1-1/2" tall and 3/8" Diameter, at it's widest part. Since we are ALL honest turners............. Golden Rule applies.:D

Bruce;)

Bill Stevener
12-01-2005, 1:19 AM
Hi Andy,
looks like your still up. Is John going to start a new thread, or do we post the tene wenes hear? I am ready to go. Just finished one.
Bill.>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
12-01-2005, 8:12 AM
"LET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR!"
"The game's afoot!"

If I may................I suggest a Champagne flute for the first one. Dimentions not to exceed 1-1/2" tall and 3/8" Diameter, at it's widest part. Since we are ALL honest turners............. Golden Rule applies.:D

Bruce;)

Oops..Didn't see your post till just now Bruce. I started the contest thread but it allows for more size and any style. Didn't mean to ignore your suggestion sir..:o

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-01-2005, 12:46 PM
No Problem my friend.........................Gives me some ideas. Saw the first post. This is going to be tough! May have to Make some tools to work as small as I'm going to nee to be.

Bruce