PDA

View Full Version : Total rainfall in a given year

Mark Gibney
11-17-2018, 9:45 PM
I'm looking for a website that shows me the total rainfall in an area in any given year.

I've looked online for this a lot, and I haven't found it.

Anyone know of a website, and can you post the link?

Thanks! Mark

Andrew DiLorenzo
11-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Search on total rainfall map. Lots to pick from.

Bill Dufour
11-18-2018, 12:20 AM
In LA you are looking for seasonal total to get a realistic number. This better reflects a wet or dry season. A calendar year splits the rainy season into two separate groups. My searches have shown me you have to pick a city and search for their totals. For some reason rainfall records only go back a little over 100 years in California. I would be surprised if the Catholic Church in California did not have records going back hundreds of years.
Also note that in California it is very unusual to have an "average" rainfall. it tends to be 2x or 1/2 of "Average" in any given season.
Bill D.

https://www.ggweather.com/seasonal_rain.htm

Van Huskey
11-18-2018, 3:46 AM
In LA you are looking for seasonal total to get a realistic number. T

In the other LA there is just the rainy season and the 3 hottest weeks of the year that no rain falls, the RH is less than 40% for the first time in 11 months and you have to water the grass twice a day. :D

Bill Dufour
11-18-2018, 11:16 AM
In the other LA there is just the rainy season and the 3 hottest weeks of the year that no rain falls, the RH is less than 40% for the first time in 11 months and you have to water the grass twice a day. :D

We are hoping for our first rain in about nine months by Thanksgiving. We are about 10 degree above dew point in the mornings. 7:00 Am air quality is 200 about 150 mile south of the fire. Bejing China is only 85.
Most of central California the schools have cancelled sports and practices outside due to smoke from the "camp fire" 79 dead, 1,300 missing. This includes college football games canceled!
OTOH Ski resorts in Tahoe opened this weekend with all man made snow. They are above the smoke.

Bil lD.
https://www.kirkwood.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx

https://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding/weather-conditions-webcams/lake-tahoe-webcams

John K Jordan
11-18-2018, 3:43 PM
You want a map, numbers?
What size of area - state, county, local?

For maps Google
annual rainfall map California. Lots of hits.

If you can't find what you are looking for, try NOAA. They have great data and a maps. Their interactive mapping system seems to be down at the moment buy maybe try later or contact them. I suspect they could make a map for you for any specific area, or give you numbers, probably even research it for you if needed - they keep an uncomprehensible amount of data. That's what they live for (and get paid for). I walked into a local NOAA facility once and they were very helpful.

JKJ

Alan Rutherford
11-18-2018, 5:44 PM
A lot depends on why you want the information and what kind of accuracy you need. In many places there are "microclimates" where rainfall can vary tremendously from the average figure published for the larger area. This is especially true where there are hills or large bodies of water. 1/2 a mile or less can make a big difference.

Van Huskey
11-18-2018, 7:47 PM
We are hoping for our first rain in about nine months by Thanksgiving. We are about 10 degree above dew point in the mornings. 7:00 Am air quality is 200 about 150 mile south of the fire. Bejing China is only 85.
Most of central California the schools have cancelled sports and practices outside due to smoke from the "camp fire" 79 dead, 1,300 missing. This includes college football games canceled!
OTOH Ski resorts in Tahoe opened this weekend with all man made snow. They are above the smoke.

Bil lD.

I was in both Nocal and Socal earlier this year during the height of the previous round of fires. The amount of haze and smoke did not surprise me near the fires but as I drove through Idaho, Montana and into Denver I was flabbergasted at the amount of high altitude haze still present all the way into Colorado. The amount of impact (blotting out the sun) a few localized fires could cause 1,000 miles away just floored me.

I have been watching the fires selfishly since I have to be in California again next week, but my heart goes out to all of the people impacted by them and I hope for everyone's sake the season-ending rains come soon. I know it is partly the 24/7/365 news cycle we live in now but I have become weary of catastrophes and I fear I am becoming numb to death toll numbers.

Mark Gibney
11-19-2018, 9:55 PM
Thanks Alan. Yes, microclimates are an interesting phenomenon I hadn't heard of before moving to California.

John, I've googled this lots of times but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. I know people can get different search engine results depending on their usage history. If you find something appropriate can you post the link? I'm looking specifically for Los Angeles county, and also Yamhill county, Oregon, total rainfall year by year going back 50 years.

Van, the situation is horrific. Deaths, displacement, complete uncertainty about the future for the people directly affected by the fires.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-19-2018, 9:58 PM
I usually just look up out city on Wikipedia. There it tells our average annual moisture.

Jim Koepke
11-20-2018, 3:08 AM
My first thought was https://www.wunderground.com/ they do not have year by year. They have month by month. If you are willing to do the math it might be of help.

Not sure if they will go back 50 years.

Just checked, it looks like they go back to 1930.

jtk