PDA

View Full Version : How are you supposed to use a roof jack when replacing a roof?

Michael Yadfar
11-17-2018, 2:06 PM
I need to replace a section of my second story asphalt roof, which has a 9:12 pitch. I’ve only replaced a few roofs which were either one story or 6:12. I plan to use roof jacks and a harness/anchor for safety, but after watching videos and doing research, I know how roof jacks work but don’t know how to avoid them getting in the way. Obviously, they can’t be overtop the shingles I’m removing, and they can’t be on the decking where I’m about to install new shingles. Am I supposed to remove the lower roofing from the ladder first before I put them down?

Bob Glenn
11-17-2018, 2:25 PM
I would remove then replace the first rows of shingles while standing on your ladder or scaffold, then install the first roof jacks and work your way up the same as you did on the first courses. If that doesn't make sense, maybe it's time to get a professional involved.

Tom M King
11-18-2018, 9:05 AM
Shingles are easiest taken off from the top down. I avoid working off a ladder as much as possible.

Roger Nair
11-18-2018, 9:17 AM
A 9/12 slope is flat out dangerous. You need to place guard rails at the roof edge, you may need to stage the perimeter, you need to place anchors for fall protection, you need a belt and suspenders approach to fall prevention and going over edge and on and on. And you are asking about the use of roof jacks. Forget it. Sorry for being blunt but working safe requires hard won knowledge and HABITS.

Patrick Walsh
11-18-2018, 10:37 AM
I have plenty experience rooding also and I feel much the same way as the above poster.

If you have to ask your asking for trouble. Roofing is pretty basic and there is very little you need to know. However what you need to know your need to know. First is safety related. Second is proper flashing, nailing and shingling patterns. Riffing is expensive and I know it feels like “I am do that and I can’t afford the bill to pay someone” but it really imop is not diy work.

Phil Mueller
11-18-2018, 11:15 AM
When I was in my 20’s I witnessed first hand the aftermath of a professional roofer who slid off a one store roof and landed head first on the concrete sidewalk. It wasn’t pretty. He didn’t make it. He was tethered, but something went wrong. I’ve never done roof work myself since. Not worth it at any cost.

Tom M King
11-18-2018, 4:34 PM
The only way I do it, and don't touch asphalt shingles, is to set up scaffolding, with handrails. It might be Alum-a-pole, or steel scaffolding depending on the job, and sometimes neither will work, so we build it out of wood. With scaffolding at a comfortable height to start the edge off of, no roof is really that bad to work on. Do whatever you need to stay both safe, and comfortable.

John K Jordan
11-18-2018, 4:46 PM
A 9/12 slope is flat out dangerous. ...

My roof is 12/12 pitch. When I needed to work on the chimney I built a roof ladder with big hooks that grabbed the ridge. When our 30 year old shingles this year the roofer just walked up to inspect then used big pieces of thick foam rubber for support when shingling (plus a rope tied to something on the other side.) Scared me.

I read an article about workplace fatalities and roofing was near the top of the list of dangerous jobs.

JKJ

Tom M King
11-18-2018, 5:07 PM
The good thing about steep roofs is that you don't have to bend over as far. The worst thing is that nothing will stay where you put it without something extra, like a hand, to hold it.

I put Cypress shingles on an old house that had a 6-1/2 in 12 pitch. At first, when I measured the slope, I thought it was really strange to have it set at an odd pitch (pitch used to be the term for the height of the building's walls). As we got into the job, it became obvious that it was the maximum pitch that shingles would stay in place where you laid them.

Later, we worked on an 18th Century house that had obviously been built by very experienced builders. It also originally had Cypress shingles, and had a 6-1/2 too. I knew why that time.

Tom Bender
11-20-2018, 7:00 AM
Mine is 7/12 which is good for appearance and performance but still walkable. Tools sometimes stay put and sometimes slide. 6 1/2 would have been better.

Perry Hilbert Jr
11-21-2018, 8:07 AM
I get dizzy on a 4 ft step ladder. Once did a roof that was about 40 degrees Way to much time fetching stuff that slid off. When it came around 25 years later to do the same roof, I did it smart. with a phone call and check book.

Zachary Hoyt
11-21-2018, 1:42 PM
We live in a converted barn with a curved roof that is nearly vertical at the eaves and about 4/12 at the top. I shingled the back half last summer and will do the front half next summer. I use ladders and ladder jacks for the first part, and then roof jacks once it gets a little less steep. My method is that as I am going up tearing off shingles I clear the area where the roof jacks are to go while standing on the ladder, and then nail the roof jacks to the deck. Then I have to lift the roof jacks to put the underlayment and shingles underneath. I don't think there is a way to do the tear-off and replace without moving the roof jacks at least once, maybe twice depending how well you plan it out.
Zach