PDA

View Full Version : Best 14" Band Saw Under $1000

John Goodin
11-16-2018, 9:57 PM
My wife, who absolutely hates gift buying for me, said it is cool if I buy a band saw for Christmas. To her credit she never says no, rarely asks what it costs but I still like getting her approval for bigger purchases. She did ask if it would expand my ability to create projects and that was enough for her to be on board. I am a lucky man.

So your opinions and on the best 14" band saw under $1000 ($800 ideally) would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to break the upper price limit and I am not really interested in shopping used. Where I live the used market for a quality machines is very limited although I just missed getting a two year old Powermatic PWBS-14CS yesterday on craigslist. For $850 I knew it would go to the first buyer.

I do like the Rikon 10-326 but it is 100 dollars over my self imposed limit and the 10-324 seems like a nice compromise. I can upgrade the guides to a Carter set down the road if I really feel the need. Compared to most people on this forum I am a marginal hobbyist woodworker and my greatest limitation will probably always be my skill set and not the machine. Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving.

Zac wingert
11-16-2018, 10:20 PM
I’m in almost the same position as you. $1k budget and no used market where I live. The conclusion I’ve come to after my ongoing internet research is the same as you, the 10-324. First bandsaw for me, so I can’t be much more help.

People who who know more are sure to ask you what you be using for the most, Resawing or curves. Maybe you don’t know if you never had one, but this sort of information will help you get better advice.

John Goodin
11-16-2018, 10:51 PM
Thanks Zac. This will replace a little benchtop band saw that I bought to help trim out waste before routing with a pattern bit. I will keep it for the near future but hope to use the 14" for that task as well as re-sawing. I am not sure which it will be used for more since I have never had the ability to re-saw anything wider than what could be done on a table saw.

Ted Phillips
11-16-2018, 10:51 PM
I just replaced my old old 12" Craftsman with a new Rikon 14" 10-326. It is an excellent saw - no tools required for adjustments - steel wheels - cabinet base. Great saw. The only problem is that it is slightly above your $1000 limit. I think I paid $1100 plus tax (purchased it locally) for it, plus another $89 for the mobility kit. In my mind, this saw is well worth it.

Art Mann
11-16-2018, 11:15 PM
Your options increase significantly if you add waiting for a sale price in your strategy. I bought my Laguna 14/12 for less than $1000, not including tax, and I expect you could get a nicer Rikon using the same strategy.

lowell holmes
11-16-2018, 11:24 PM
I have 14" Jet that is about 12 years old. I have the extension that allows long blade. It is an excellent saw.

John Goodin
11-16-2018, 11:30 PM
Art, I didn't realize the 14/12 was $1099 retail which makes it the same list price as the Rikon 10-326. I can wait for a sale and don't mind buying online and out of state to save on the 8.25% sales tax. I am just really apprehensive of spending that much.

Jacob Mac
11-17-2018, 1:27 AM
I think Laguna is having a 10% off sale over black Friday. Acme tool is a good place to buy from for free shipping.

Van Huskey
11-17-2018, 1:41 AM
I would suggest the 10-326 or 14/12 over anything else you can buy under $1k. Unfortunately, up until very recently, the 10-326 was usually available for around $900 but the tariffs finally forced Rikon to significantly increase the price. Woodcraft has them on sale now for 10% off. With the recent price increase on Rikon, I would wait until Laguna is 10% off and get the 14/12. You can get it from Woodwerks in Ohio and not be charged tax but the $75 shipping makes it just as cheap (more or less) to buy it in Austin and it will be a national sale so Woodcraft will have the 10% off too.

The 10-324 isn't a bad saw but you get so much more with the 10-326 and 14/12.

Edit Acme was mentioned but they add on the same $75 for "special handling" even though they give "free shipping". Equipment Sales and Surplus up in Washington has totally free shipping (no hidden fees) but usually doesn't list the 10% off sales but when the sales start you might call them and see if they will price match, they are usually easy to work with. They carry Laguna but not Rikon.

Zachary Hoyt
11-17-2018, 7:57 AM
I bought a SuperMax drum sander from Acme this spring and didn't pay any extra charges.
Zach

Van Huskey
11-17-2018, 8:46 AM
I bought a SuperMax drum sander from Acme this spring and didn't pay any extra charges.
Zach

While most things (over $49) have no extra charges the 14/12 does have a $75 special handling charge. From their site: Special Handling Charge of $75.00

Cary Falk
11-17-2018, 9:05 AM
I just got a catalog from Highland Woodworking yesterday. The Rikon 10-326 is on the front cover for $899.99.

Matthew Curtis
11-17-2018, 9:16 AM
I second the Laguna 1412. It is on sale for Black Friday at 10% off. That puts it under $1000

Bill Carey
11-17-2018, 9:45 AM
3rd on the 1412. In the year I've had it I've used it to resaw a boatload of 3 x 8 oak and hickory and walnut and maple without any problems at all. Love the ceramic guides

Dan Baginski
11-17-2018, 12:42 PM
I don’t own either of those saws but I have been looking at both of them. There’s a lot of god YouTube videos on both.

Matt Day
11-17-2018, 12:45 PM
I second anything Van says about bandsaws.

Kevin Groenke
11-17-2018, 2:34 PM
It's not 14" but you might also consider the Grizzly G0513ANV (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-17-2-HP-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0513ANV). I have 0513's at home and work (one right next to a Rikon 10-325). Both are good saws, but 3" more throat is nice and the 17" wheels gives more blade versatility. I have a .025" x 1/2" TriMaster on my 0513 at home and it's a great combo. The difference in footprint is negligible, mobile base is easy to retrofit. Too bad the resaw fence isn't part of the package.

$1010 to your door, maybe less pre-holidays?

Bill Orbine
11-17-2018, 3:57 PM
You can find a nice Rockwell for $500 on Craigslist.

Michael Costa
11-17-2018, 4:33 PM
What does the powermatic cost these days?

Van Huskey
11-17-2018, 7:59 PM
I just got a catalog from Highland Woodworking yesterday. The Rikon 10-326 is on the front cover for $899.99.

Yep, they have a few of the pre-tariff ones left around, the only issue with Highland and machines is the shipping and any pre-tariff ones come from the dealer (Atlanta in this case) not drop shipped so they have the ship twice to get to you. You have to call Highland to find out the shipping. Another dealer that may have actual stock of pre-tariff Rikons is Circle Saw in Houston, their freight is usually lower than Highland.

Brian Henderson
11-17-2018, 8:06 PM

He already said there isn't any used machinery in his area. Same here, I couldn't get a used anything on Craigslist unless it originally got sold at Harbor Freight.

Van Huskey
11-17-2018, 8:14 PM
What does the powermatic cost these days?

The Powermatic cast iron 14" saw is over-priced these days and not a match for the saws in question. BTW it is $1300 when not on sale. Now the new Jet 14SFX is $999 with shipping included (residential liftgate is included on all Powermatic and Jet machines). I forget about the Jet since it is fairly new and I haven't used one only played with it in the showroom. It is very similar to the Rikon and Laguna with a slightly larger table and slightly higher blade speed. If it goes on sale Black Friday for 10 or 15% off it would be the bargain of the bunch when shipping is included.

Back to PM, the only PMs I like in the current lineup are the 15, 18, 20 and 24" saws, they are excellent but all over-priced. They took a REALLY good shot at the Italian bandsaws but the 15" is $3K which is getting far too close to the MM 16/Formula 400 which is arguably the bar setter for medium sized saws for a hobby shop.

Van Huskey
11-17-2018, 8:18 PM

If you are talking about the 14" cast saw then these saws are actually a step above. Now if one can find a Delta/Rockwell 28-350 20" saw for $500 in good shape that is a different story but the best deal I have gotten on one of those is $650 and it was a steal for a fully intact RTR saw. I have seen them go a little cheaper at auction but I didn't see them in person.

Marc Jeske
11-17-2018, 8:22 PM
OP is near San antonio.

If there is nothing suitable today, I guarantee will be in a few days.

Unclear if OP is not looking at used Old Arn...

due to ready today availability ? .... or not understanding that an Old Arn "used" for $500 is a better machine than any new for $1k ?

Just my opinion.

Marc

Van Huskey
11-17-2018, 9:14 PM
OP is near San antonio.

If there is nothing suitable today, I guarantee will be in a few days.

Unclear if OP is not looking at used Old Arn...

due to ready today availability ? .... or not understanding that an Old Arn "used" for $500 is a better machine than any new for $1k ?

Just my opinion.

Marc

I usually search bandsaws within 500-1000 miles of me almost every day. The San Antonio/Austin area has been dry of good deals for a while, the small saws seem to be over-priced which I assume is due to the Austin Hipster Maker scene. Dallas and Houston seem to be much better and I have gotten many of my best bandsaw deals in and around Houston.

The best deals I have seen lately in TX is a nice looking Oliver 217 (30") for $1750 half way up 45 between Hou and Dallas and a Laguna LT16HD in the Conroe area for around $1900. If I had the time I would have already gotten the Oliver, it is a screaming deal. As I type this I know I am going to regret not chasing it down.

The sub $1000 stuff I keep seeing in his area are 1hp Delta and Rockwell saws in the $500 range, along with the daily dose of 12" Craftsman saws and no-name/Central Machinery 14" cast saws all of which tend to be over-priced. IMO and pure spec wise the 14" cast Delta and clones simply aren't as much saw as what the OP is looking at. Unless you find an oddball crazy deal I see the sub-1K used arena as the PM141 (rare to come up and often over-priced but they sell in populated areas), the Walker Turner saws which are also rare and the Delta/Rockwell/Milwaukee 28-350 20" saw. The latter is what I consider the gem in the price range but maybe 1 in three is price under 1K and three quarters of the ones that are need some serious love and almost never come with a fence. I have never got one up and running to my standards for under 1K. In the end I simply don't have the love for the 14" Delta and clones that is almost universal. They are fine as a small blade saw and you can pimp them like no other saw but I would MUCH rather have a PM 140/141/143 but then most people selling them feel the same way.

Joe Hendershott
11-17-2018, 9:16 PM
At Highland Hardware in Atlanta today and saw the Rikon for $898. Very tempting at that price.

Bill Orbine
11-17-2018, 9:57 PM
1 hour and 18 minutes away, if I'm correct. It's worth a look!

Van Huskey
11-17-2018, 10:47 PM
1 hour and 18 minutes away, if I'm correct. It's worth a look!

Did you mean to post a link to the Rockwell 28-200 that is on the SA CL? While I agree it appears to be in good shape it likely has the original 3/4hp motor and doesn't have a riser block. IMO that is a $350 saw max.

Bill Orbine
11-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Did you mean to post a link to the Rockwell 28-200 that is on the SA CL? While I agree it appears to be in good shape it likely has the original 3/4hp motor and doesn't have a riser block. IMO that is a $350 saw max.

I search bandsaw in the Austin area Craigslist. I'm not posting the link because this forum doesn't allow it. While the saw is listed in ad is for $500, there is a possibility to negotiate. This is a good bandsaw. I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But still a good bandsaw! Just trying to be helpful, that is all.

Van Huskey
11-17-2018, 11:30 PM
I search bandsaw in the Austin area Craigslist. I'm not posting the link because this forum doesn't allow it. While the saw is listed in ad is for $500, there is a possibility to negotiate. This is a good bandsaw. I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But still a good bandsaw! Just trying to be helpful, that is all.

I was just trying to clarify for the OP what you were possibly talking about. If you look at your two posts you never mentioned CL at all, I put it together because I had seen that saw listed in my routine CL bandsaw searches. I further clarified which saw it was by model number which the CL ad doesn't mention and that it is likely 3/4hp and is sans riser since the OP may want to know that before making a pilgrimage to see it when the saws he is looking at have significantly more hp and capacity. I was just trying to be helpful by taking some of the mystery out of your indeed potentially helpful posts.

John Goodin
11-17-2018, 11:41 PM
I am in Austin and regularly look at Craigslist in San Antonio and other areas. Most of the older model Rockwell or Delta saws appear to be deals until you see they have been sitting in barns for years and are covered in rust, dirt and grim. Van Huskey is right most others are Craftsman and Central Machinery. Finer woodworking is just not popular here for a variety of reasons therefore the supply is limited. Old Arn is virtually non-existent because when that stuff was made this was area populated with farmers and ranchers with no need for heavy duty equipment.

I have been burned for $200 on a sliding Makita saw once so I am leary of larger power tools in the used market unless they are fairly new. Repairing other's peoples abused tools is not my forte.

The Laguna 14/12 and Rikon 10-326 are the short list. While few people have first hand experience with both it sound like I can't go wrong with either one. Thanks for all your advice, your comments are worth more than anything I could read online.

Van Huskey
11-17-2018, 11:53 PM
If you are even remotely interested in used saws and willing to make the drive to Houston (you could visit a Rockler since you only have WC) expand your search. I have bought at least a dozen bandsaws out of the Houston area, I just wish your budget was bigger because the two saws I mentioned earlier are great deals. Also if you are willing to make the day trip and decide on the 10-326 give Circle Saw a call in Houston, they usually have inventory on site and may have some of the pre-tariff saws in stock which even with tax might work out to be a good deal but probably break even with gas, though you would avoid the shipping stress. That also assumes you have a truck or SUV big enough to transport it.

Patrick Walsh
11-18-2018, 12:00 AM
I’d hold out till I had at least 2-3 k to spend.

I started with 14/12 and it is since long gone.

I know others have been happy with that machine, I was not.

Couldn’t get it out of my shop soon enough. Replaced it with a s500p and a Inca 3 wheel. I’ll get rid of the Inca for a mm 16, smaller old Oliver or even a old delta just for scroll work.

Van Huskey
11-18-2018, 12:12 AM
SMC where grown men gather to have their budgets torn asunder like the arm of Grendel at the hands of Beowulf.

Bill Orbine
11-18-2018, 12:20 AM
I was just trying to clarify for the OP what you were possibly talking about. If you look at your two posts you never mentioned CL at all, I put it together because I had seen that saw listed in my routine CL bandsaw searches. I further clarified which saw it was by model number which the CL ad doesn't mention and that it is likely 3/4hp and is sans riser since the OP may want to know that before making a pilgrimage to see it when the saws he is looking at have significantly more hp and capacity. I was just trying to be helpful by taking some of the mystery out of your indeed potentially helpful posts.

The first post I mentioned Craigslist..... I went back to it and checked. But.....whatever....

John Goodin
11-18-2018, 1:01 AM
I saw the $921 price at Circle Saw for the Rikon 326 and Woodcraft has it for $989. Woodcraft may be the best deal while it is on sale till the 21st. I can pick it up at the store and not worry about shipping damage. Highland Woodworking has a cheaper base price but wants $235 for shipping.

John Goodin
11-18-2018, 1:07 AM
It is not so much a matter of saving for a better saw but as a hobbyist I don't think I need anything better than what the 1412 or 326 can provide. If the time comes when I my skills and project needs outgrow what the saw can provide I can upgrade.

Van Huskey
11-18-2018, 1:15 AM
The first post I mentioned Craigslist..... I went back to it and checked. But.....whatever....

Mea Culpa! My point was you didn't really direct him anywhere it literally sounded like a generic statement of what might be found on CL. Also just so you can help someone directly in the future only live CL links are prohibited, you can post the text for the link so someone can copy and paste just not set it up as a live link. With eBay listings, you can post the auction number so they can access it themselves.

sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/d/rockwell-bandsaw/6733647428.html for example

and while I am at it the OP can look at this one, it has been sitting a while. It is an older Stomana (not the current ACM Italian built saw) but it is a good saw and you might be able to get it for under $1k, it would require 240v though.

austin.craigslist.org/tls/d/laguna-16-resaw-bandsaw/6721496079.html

I meant absolutely no offense, I just wanted to make sure the OP actually got to see what you were suggesting.

John Goodin
11-18-2018, 1:16 AM
It is not everyday I read a comment referring to a 1000 year old epic in Old English on a woodworking forum.

Van Huskey
11-18-2018, 1:44 AM
It is not everyday I read a comment referring to a 1000 year old epic in Old English on a woodworking forum.

My wife says I got my degrees in the obtuse and the arcane with a practicum in circuitous logic.

But seriously, who doesn't pop open the Nowell Codex for some light reading prior to slumber?

Rich Engelhardt
11-18-2018, 5:23 AM
SMC where grown men gather to have their budgets torn asunder like the arm of Grendel at the hands of Beowulf.:) I like that so much I may use it as a sig! Giving due credit of course!

Carl Beckett
11-18-2018, 7:06 AM
It is not so much a matter of saving for a better saw but as a hobbyist I don't think I need anything better than what the 1412 or 326 can provide. If the time comes when I my skills and project needs outgrow what the saw can provide I can upgrade.

+1 Some of my best pieces were made on equipment that was less than ideal, and thos are both great saws and can do a lot. Fact is, some band saw is better than none band saw. I for one really appreciate someone who respects the concept of a BUDGET. Ya you may some day wish for a larger more capable machine. Here is my experience:

I have a small Jet 14" bandsaw. (which go for about $300 around here on CL) I use the heck out of it.

Some years later I purchased a larger (Laguna LT18) off craigslist. Turns out I use that a lot also (resawing and ripping larger pieces). AND I still use the heck out of the 14" saw (and in some ways I would say itsa crappy little saw, but I still use the heck out of it). And as an 'upgrade', I have been considering a SMALLER saw to replace the 14" (am coveting the space and think a smaller benchtop unit could free up a little space for storage or something else)

A long time ago I worked in a machine shop. It was a place we rented from a University, and all the equipment was very old and flat worn out (junk even... much of it). There was a former Navy old timer there. He worked on a lathe that should have been scrapped years ago, everything about it was worn out. He made high quality precision parts on it (to this day I dont know how, I would not have been able to produce squat with it). In other words, he had developed skill.

Buy a saw, any saw (you have great choices with that budget). Make lots of stuff. Make some more stuff. Then decide if you want a different saw.

Randy Heinemann
11-18-2018, 7:58 AM
I own the Rikon 10-325 Deluxe (which I believe is now the 10-326). I use it to resaw and for straight ripping and cross-cuts sometimes, as well as occasional curve cutting for bowl blanks. I love it and, with the newer tool less guides that it comes with now, it's a great saw. It has enough power for resawing and whatever else I use if for. If you're not in a hurry, wait for sales. I saw it is on sale at Woodcraft right now for $990 (10-326 Deluxe). I saw recently they also offer a 3HP 14" Pro version of this saw with a 3HP motor instead of the 1 1/2 HP of the Deluxe but, I think that is overkill unless you do a lot of heavy duty resawing. Plus the Pro is $600 more.

roger wiegand
11-18-2018, 8:26 AM
I'm surprised at the regional variation in CL.I just counted and there are eight Delta 14" and two Jet 14" saws on ours (Boston) at prices from $300 to $850, all looked at least halfway decent based on the pictures. There's a 20" powermatic for $1350 that I'm thinking about calling. Plus there are myriad Craftsman and various more recent China-made saws.

Nick Decker
11-18-2018, 8:42 AM
I have the 10-326. No complaints, it's a solid tool. Resawing 10" hardwood is no problem. Don't know about wider than that because I haven't encountered it. If you're regularly resawing wider, you should probably be looking at larger saws.

The 5/8" blade that comes with it is junk, but that seems to be par for the course.

John Goodin
11-18-2018, 9:07 AM
Several years ago I realized on this forum many people from the Midwest and Northeast talking about great deals on older quality machines when where I live it it is not the case. As to "why" would make for a good discussion but I have a theory... it has to do with different climates, the different historical economies and populations and even the lack of basements.

Brian Nguyen
11-18-2018, 1:29 PM
It's not just SMC, on other forums if you ask for suggestion on two specific piece of equipment it's almost guaranteed that someone will tell you that you're an idiot for buying new and that there's a dozen used equipment within five miles of *their* house that you should (somehow) buy. It's kind of hilarious, actually.

Anyways, I also have the Rikon 10-326 and it's more than fine for me as a hobbyist. I got it last year for $850 shipped to my house from Acme Tools, but I understand that the price jumped even from them due to the tariff. Try to get the 15% coupon to see if you can save up to the limit of $150, though. That saving can get you a Resaw King blade which will let you resaw boards like butter.

The Laguna 14|12 is a hair better but I chose the Rikon because I just didn't like the ceramic guides. Personal preference, though. Anyways, you can't really go wrong with either choice.

Michael Costa
11-18-2018, 2:17 PM
I bought my 14" powermatic in 2008 for about $700 I think. Thats why i asked. I don't have anything else to compare it to but is the most used tool in my shop and other than some cleaning and adjustments from time to time it's been good to me.

This "hobby" is waaay too expensive. Is there a knitting forum in here someplace?

Nick Decker
11-18-2018, 3:23 PM
Brian, which Resaw King are you using on your Rikon? I've tried a 1/2" Trimaster on mine but had problems with tensioning it enough.

Ed Edwards
11-18-2018, 3:45 PM
Try this on for size

RIKON (https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/rikon)

14 In. Band Saw with Open Stand 1.5 HP Motor
10-324

(1)

Write a review

Arriving Soon! (Warehouse acquiring product. Usually ships in 10-15 business days.)

Free Shipping! (Ground shipping to lower 48)
Ships Truck

Low Price Guarantee

List:
$2,295 .00

$899 .99

lowell holmes
11-18-2018, 4:07 PM
This is the saw that I have. I've had it for over ten years. It is a good saw.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jet+bandsaw+jwbs-14cs&rlz=1C1UCRO_enUS813US813&oq=jet+bandsaw&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l4.7606j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Brian Nguyen
11-18-2018, 8:59 PM
Brian, which Resaw King are you using on your Rikon? I've tried a 1/2" Trimaster on mine but had problems with tensioning it enough.

Resaw King is Laguna's carbide blade offering. I bought the 3/4" at Woodcraft. It's probably the absolute limit that the Rikon 10-326 can tension, but I got it to work. Try it, but if you can't get the tensioning then return it back.

richard poitras
11-18-2018, 10:31 PM
I started with 14/12 and it is since long gone.

I know others have been happy with that machine, I was not.

Patrick you stated you did not like the 14/12? For re-sawing or for for scroll work? I would think for re-sawing it would be a bit small ...

Brian Henderson
11-19-2018, 2:40 AM
Several years ago I realized on this forum many people from the Midwest and Northeast talking about great deals on older quality machines when where I live it it is not the case. As to "why" would make for a good discussion but I have a theory... it has to do with different climates, the different historical economies and populations and even the lack of basements.

Same here. The classifieds here are worthless to me, even if I was looking for something, because there's only been once in all the times I've looked that anything sizeable I might have been interested in was for sale less than 1000 miles from me. Not sure why, but that seems to be the way it is.

Al Launier
11-19-2018, 7:59 AM
Admittedly I didn't read all of the above posts so I may be duplicating suggestions by others, but I would recommend a Grizzly GO555 series 14" Bandsaw for around $600. I have one and am very satisfied with it. As a cautionary note don't overlook the extra costs associated with a bandsaw in your $1,000 budget some of which include a variety of blades, dust collection, riser block for reesawing, etc.

Nick Decker
11-19-2018, 8:13 AM
Resaw King is Laguna's carbide blade offering. I bought the 3/4" at Woodcraft. It's probably the absolute limit that the Rikon 10-326 can tension, but I got it to work. Try it, but if you can't get the tensioning then return it back.

Thanks, Brian. Think I'll pass on 3/4" for this saw.

Al Launier
11-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Grizzly Christmas Sale:
http://www.grizzly.com/Christmas-Sale?id=ZG9scGhpbmFsbEBjb21jYXN0Lm5ldA%3d%3d&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=111918_Christmassale_top

Patrick Walsh
11-19-2018, 4:11 PM
14/12 does not like the 3/4 resaw king.

I had the best luck with a 1/2 blade on that machine.

ChrisA Edwards
11-19-2018, 5:19 PM
Been running the 3/4" resaw king on my 1412 for the past two years, works great, no drift. That's the biggest blade you can put on it though.

Patrick Walsh
11-19-2018, 5:43 PM
Ha?

Every time I tried to run that blade and resaw hard maple say 8-10” tall the blade would drift like crazy get mid cut start smoking and all but stop.

I’d say it musta been me but I know how to setup and bandsaw. It’s not rocket science.

Been running the 3/4" resaw king on my 1412 for the past two years, works great, no drift. That's the biggest blade you can put on it though.

ChrisA Edwards
11-19-2018, 6:04 PM
I struggled to initially get the drift out of the blade, I bought the Carter Products MagFence and started to use that to counter the drift and then slowly used that to adjust the blade drift, it was a good reference point

Van Huskey
11-19-2018, 8:15 PM
Ha?

Every time I tried to run that blade and resaw hard maple say 8-10” tall the blade would drift like crazy get mid cut start smoking and all but stop.

I’d say it musta been me but I know how to setup and bandsaw. It’s not rocket science.

Quite a few people seem to do fine with the 3/4" resaw king, it gets sold with a lot of 14/12s since WC and Rockler both stock it in the 14/12 length in the stores. I made a couple of cuts with that combo at my local dealer, maxed on on tension it cut OK in ~10" red oak, the finish wasn't as good as it should have been with more tension but it was better than a blade with set teeth, about the same as the Woodslicer/Blade Runner/Kerfmaster. It is possible you had one with a poor grind. Because the RK is ground twice on two different continents there is a much higher chance of an error and there have been bad rolls of RK shipped out on more than one occasions.

Orlando Gonzalez
11-19-2018, 10:41 PM
I'm also a marginal hobbyist. I have the Grizzly G0555LX and I'm very happy with it. I added the resaw fence and will be adding the riser kit if the need arises. Although I have never owned one, I've heard good things about the Rikon band saws.

Van Huskey
11-20-2018, 1:03 AM
I'm also a marginal hobbyist. I have the Grizzly G0555LX and I'm very happy with it. I added the resaw fence and will be adding the riser kit if the need arises. Although I have never owned one, I've heard good things about the Rikon band saws.

In fairness by the time you get a 555 add the resaw fence and riser block kit and pay shipping you are basically at the price of the cost of a pre-tariff Rikon and these steel framed saws are significantly more saw.

Chris Hachet
11-20-2018, 8:35 AM
Art, I didn't realize the 14/12 was $1099 retail which makes it the same list price as the Rikon 10-326. I can wait for a sale and don't mind buying online and out of state to save on the 8.25% sales tax. I am just really apprehensive of spending that much.

Ohhhh...the uses of a good band saw. Once it is up and running, you will kick yourself for not buying it sooner. I have 3 band saws, and two of them are sued all of the time. third one is under restoration.

You will be very, very happy once you get it home and dialed in. I would brown bag lunch it for a month if it made a difference.

Chris Hachet
11-20-2018, 8:36 AM

Or have more than one saw. The 14/12 is a perfectly adequate saw, as is the Rikon.

Chris Hachet
11-20-2018, 8:38 AM
I second the Laguna 1412. It is on sale for Black Friday at 10% off. That puts it under $1000

It is one heck of a saw.

Randall J Cox
11-20-2018, 5:55 PM
I found a used, but not abused, MiniMax S45 18" for $500 on CL and snapped it up. Had it a couple of years now and love it. Know its not a really high end saw but works nicely for me. Sold my old Delta 14" that I had fully rehabbed. Randy

Dave Lewis
11-20-2018, 8:23 PM
I bought a Bridgewood 440 (Made in Italy) about 6-7 years ago on CL, really happy moving up from the Delta 14. Only annoying feature is that the starter buzzes so I need to un-plug when not operating.

Dustin Bullard
11-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Not sure if you have a local Rockler or Woodcraft but if you do, call and see if they have any in stock... I picked up my 14|12 from Rockler for 10% off during the sale last year and didn't have to pay any freight charges...

*edit*

It is worth noting that the 14|12 does NOT come with a blade... So factor that into your purchase...

Curt Harms
11-22-2018, 8:06 AM
If you're able to move larger equipment to its final spot, think basement here, this seems like a LOT of bang for the buck:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-17-2-HP-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0513ANV
$895 + shipping

You may not start having visions of larger band saws like you might with the less expensive 14" saws. I don't know that I've ever seen a complaint on the forums about the G0513 saws except maybe shipping damage. I have a Rikon 10-325 and it's done everything I've asked of it but if I would have been confident in being able to get a G0513 into my basement ........

Van Huskey
11-22-2018, 8:38 AM
The 513ANV will run most people about $1050 shipped but it is lacking compared to the Laguna and Rikon being discussed in the thread. While it has 1/4hp more and has the 3 extra inches of throat depth that's about as far as the advantages go. The Rikon and Laguna have a bigger table, cast iron wheels, much better toolless guides, and a much nicer fence. Despite the low price, I consider the 513ANV to be the poorest value in the entire 513/514 range. The 513X2 includes a nice resaw fence, has cast iron wheels, a bigger table and has better guides though not toolless. It is a more comparably equipped 17" to the 14" Laguna and Rikon but it will run about $1,300 shipped. The only reason I would get the 513ANV over the 14/12 or 10-326 is if I absolutely needed the extra throat depth.

Dave Cav
12-07-2018, 10:06 PM
If you can swing the extra $300, I'm in the 17" 513X2 camp as well. It's an incredible value. I had one for a number of years and was very happy with it. On the other hand, I bought a 555 for my school shop when I needed another saw quickly. Never had a bit of trouble with it; it seems like a nice generic version of the classic Delta 14" saw.

Thomas Wilson80
12-26-2018, 5:18 PM
The Rikon 10-326, Laguna 1412, Jet 14sfx, and grizzly G0513x2 are all within about $50 of each other. I was pretty set on the Grizzly (primary use is for cutting large bowl blanks for turning) but several people I've talked to have questioned the quality of grizzly compared to other brands. Of these models, which is considered best bang for the buck, or are they all similar in quality/performance?

Thanks for any advice - I'm fairly new to woodworking and have only rarely used a cheap used bandsaw.

Tom

Van Huskey
12-26-2018, 10:44 PM
The Rikon 10-326, Laguna 1412, Jet 14sfx, and grizzly G0513x2 are all within about $50 of each other. I

Tom

Do you mean the G0513X2 or the G0513/513ANV?

Curt Harms
12-27-2018, 6:04 AM
14/12 does not like the 3/4 resaw king.

I had the best luck with a 1/2 blade on that machine.

Lenox TriMaster is available in 1/2" width and .025" thickness. I wonder how that would work on common 14" saws. Ain't cheap though at $179.83 here:

https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/lenox-tri-master-carbide-band-saw-blades?pID=518&ftFinder=9&inFinder=0.333&fracFinder=0&widthFinder=176&toothFinder=191

Thomas Wilson80
12-27-2018, 1:06 PM
Do you mean the G0513X2 or the G0513/513ANV?

X2....based on one of your other posts, you made it sound like the upgrades on the X2 are well worth the price over the ANV.
Thanks,
Tom

Van Huskey
12-27-2018, 4:26 PM
X2....based on one of your other posts, you made it sound like the upgrades on the X2 are well worth the price over the ANV.
Thanks,
Tom

I ask because you said the Grizzly you were looking at was within $50 of the Laguna and Rikon because I thought the 513X2 would be over $1300 shipped lift gate.

The advantages of the 513X2 is the extra throat depth and the 1/4 hp more and the drawback is the lack of toolless guides. As the budget creeps up we are getting into the range of the 14BX and 10-353. You have to be careful about budget creep.

One other saw to consider in the range is the Jet 14 SFX since we are broadening horizons.

ChrisA Edwards
12-28-2018, 10:12 AM
I'm liking my Laguna 14/12. I have the 3/4" Resaw King on it, took a delicate touch to get it tracking with no drift, but I haven't had the need to adjusted it in 18 months.

I would buy it again. I paid the $999 sale price.

Thomas Wilson80
12-28-2018, 3:28 PM
I'm liking my Laguna 14/12. I have the 3/4" Resaw King on it, took a delicate touch to get it tracking with no drift, but I haven't had the need to adjusted it in 18 months.

I would buy it again. I paid the $999 sale price.

Yeah, the more I look at all of these bandsaws that are close to the same price and watch online reviews, I'm leaning more and more towards a Laguna - I think the 12-14 would serve all of my needs fine, though I've also been looking at the 14BX (110 vs 220v)....it's easy to get sucked into an upgrade!

Lane Hardy
12-30-2018, 1:58 AM
My wife, who absolutely hates gift buying for me, said it is cool if I buy a band saw for Christmas. To her credit she never says no, rarely asks what it costs but I still like getting her approval for bigger purchases. She did ask if it would expand my ability to create projects and that was enough for her to be on board. I am a lucky man.

So your opinions and on the best 14" band saw under $1000 ($800 ideally) would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to break the upper price limit and I am not really interested in shopping used. Where I live the used market for a quality machines is very limited although I just missed getting a two year old Powermatic PWBS-14CS yesterday on craigslist. For $850 I knew it would go to the first buyer.

I do like the Rikon 10-326 but it is 100 dollars over my self imposed limit and the 10-324 seems like a nice compromise. I can upgrade the guides to a Carter set down the road if I really feel the need. Compared to most people on this forum I am a marginal hobbyist woodworker and my greatest limitation will probably always be my skill set and not the machine. Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving.

Your Wife is a Keeper Does she have sister? :)

Marc Jeske
12-30-2018, 3:24 AM
I am old School old Arn.

Unless you need to often "Resaw", not for that, but for general everyday use...

Get an old Rockwell/ Delta... As early as approx 1950 for sub $400 if clean and gently used.

START w that.... THEN move to what your needs are for what YOU want to do.

Marc