PDA

View Full Version : jet lathe paint

jeff oldham
11-16-2018, 2:36 PM
I have a jet 1642 evs and needless to say it needs a paint job,,i finally got in touch with jet and they do sell the paint,,its 31.00 a can,,can anyone tell me of a color that is close to it,,lol,,it would be cheaper to change the entire color,,any help would be appreciated,,,also,,if by chance anyone does want to pay jets price,,the stock number is,,,,,mp-106,,thank you

John K Jordan
11-16-2018, 3:12 PM
I have a jet 1642 evs and needless to say it needs a paint job,,i finally got in touch with jet and they do sell the paint,,its 31.00 a can,,can anyone tell me of a color that is close to it,,lol,,it would be cheaper to change the entire color,,any help would be appreciated,,,also,,if by chance anyone does want to pay jets price,,the stock number is,,,,,mp-106,,thank you

Some discussion here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155906-Jet-Off-White-Paint

Someone on another forum recommended Rustoleum Canvas White: https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7789830-Stops-12-Ounce-Canvas/dp/B000PIG3AS
Someone else said Rustoleum "ivory" from Lowes (or Amazon) was a good match.

I haven't tried touching up mine.

JKJ

Dwight Rutherford
11-16-2018, 3:28 PM
Here’s what I have used.
You can also take your banjo to a paint supply store. They can match it for you.

jeff oldham
11-16-2018, 4:22 PM
Dwight is there a color on the can,,,i will check at lowes or home depot

Dwight Rutherford
11-16-2018, 5:57 PM
Color is on the top, “Biscuit”. It is appliance paint, found it at Lowe’s.

Michael Costa
11-17-2018, 3:14 AM
If Jet sells the paint for their lathes wouldn't they know and have the color?

Harold Wright
11-17-2018, 7:22 AM
I have used “Biscuit” It is very close.

Dick Mahany
11-17-2018, 10:41 AM
I have a Jet 1642 and needed to give it a coat of paint. The Jet paint was crazy expensive so I took the banjo into my local Ace hardware for a color match. Here's what they came up with. It was a near perfect match and oil based, so it is also durable. That was almost 6 years ago and I think the quart cost ~ $13 at the time.

EDIT: Even though I can spray it, I used a foam brush originally and it flowed very well not leaving traces of how it was applied.

John K Jordan
11-17-2018, 11:14 AM
If Jet sells the paint for their lathes wouldn't they know and have the color?

Yes, but I think the point was that Jet charges way too much. Their "touch up" paint is very expensive. The "Biscuit" color from Amazon is 1/5th the cost. Same thing with parts - just hope you never need a switch or starter capacitor or VFD for a Jet machine - they always seem too want at least twice or three times the market value.

john patrick
07-13-2022, 4:32 PM

I have used Rustoleum Canvas White on my jet 1640 to rehab and it works beautifully. Super cheap and super available at almost any big box store.